• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: It May Take Months To Replace You BC PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a broken 60GB comes back at my store, it is a huge headache. Anybody who bought the "Product Replacement Plan" on their 60GB can either get a 40GB or store credit back, but they are basically SOL if they want their 60GB repaired or replaced with a new one. Thankfully only a few 60GBs have come back, but when they do it's an ordeal.

MisterHero

YYZ said:
you couldn't be more transparent.
don't worry, it only applies to every company who uses it. equal opportunity ridicule!*

*not Nintendo, but removing WiiSports would be very bad.

Hcoregamer00 said:
All consoles die one day, it depends on how much you use it in the time it was alive.

Tell that to my launch day Saturn that is amazingly durable. 12 years (or however long it's been since it's launched.)

Over all the videogame systems have become so complex tht the reliability factor has dropped quite a bit.

On one hand Sony is pretty fucking stupid not having extra stock to replace BC PS3s on the other hand people "worrying" about this like PS3 breaks all the time and overeacting are being pretty silly too.

Mamesj

Banned
PistolGrip said:
I havent been this scared in a long time. Never really think about my machine breaking :(

you think that's bad? Someday everyone you know will be dead.

okay, sorry :lol

Redd

a Master Ninja said:
When a broken 60GB comes back at my store, it is a huge headache. Anybody who bought the "Product Replacement Plan" on their 60GB can either get a 40GB or store credit back, but they are basically SOL if they want their 60GB repaired or replaced with a new one. Thankfully only a few 60GBs have come back, but when they do it's an ordeal.

Whoa can't they get an 80gb model? Seems like a piss poor move to offer a 60gb owner a 40gb ps3 for a replacement.

Redd said:
Whoa can't they get an 80gb model? Seems like a piss poor move to offer a 60gb owner a 40gb ps3 for a replacement.

80GB PS3 is discontinued. Some retailers have remaining stock, most do not.

Redd

Then they should give them a new ps2 or some store credit with the 40gb model at the very least. One of the few times I think it's ok to knock over some magazine racks.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
80GB PS3 is discontinued. Some retailers have remaining stock, most do not.
Yep, my store was out by early January, and Best Buy as a store removed the 80GB from their website just weeks later.
Redd said:
Then they should give them a new ps2 or some store credit with the 40gb model at the very least. One of the few times I think it's ok to knock over some magazine racks.
The customer won't be happy with the situation no matter what. With almost any other electronic device this is a non-issue, because the person will get their device replaced by a newer, better model of the tv/camera/ipod/game console/etc. With the PS3, you have one of the few devices where each remodel is slightly worse than the one that preceded it.

Dunlop

I can get the supply issue problem, but couldn't they send you a "loaner" 40GB while you wait?

Very shitty to be left out for months.

SRG01 said:
Wait, what? You missed my point.

Nearly all companies will not do anything significant at the CS level until under a BBB complaint or a filed civil suit. The exception is when companies do things before such things are done. Blame it on corporate culture or a lack of authority at the lower ranks of the company, it doesn't matter.

In fact, I would say nearly all companies and corporations fall under the same pattern.
QFT.

To the OP: What are the consumer protection laws in your country?
I ask that because here in Braziloland a company has 30 days limit to fix a broken product. If it can´t be fixed it must:
- Be replaced by a new one (or superior equivalent in case the same product is unavailable) or
- The consumer must be refunded (with values corrected - inflation, etc).
- It´s up to the consumer choose which opition suits him best.

Tiduz said:
A guy from germany my brother knows send in his 60 gig, he got a 40 gig back 2months later, but with GT5P And Warhawk as an apology for not getting a 60gig i think.

(im not worried at all since i replaced my hdd with a 250 gig and have a ps2, but i can see how this would worry some people).

i would be mad as hell if it either a) took that long or b) they sent me back a non bc unit to replace my bc unit

fucking stupid ass 40gb unit

051117_xbox360_jump_in2.jpg

sprocket said:
honestly now how many of you still play ps2 games?

**RAISES HAND***

Silent Hill Origins
World Heroes Anothology
Persona 3 :FES (in a couple weeks)
Mana Khemia

The PS2 is still going strong.

TwIsTeD

im getting a 20gb this week as a backup/ companion piece for my 60gb which will be moved in prep for my 40gb mgs4 ps3 :D , damn nerfed system i wanted to play jpn ps2 games

ice cream

Banned
In europe they don't even sell ANY BC PS3s, and I am def not gettin one without BC. All they sell is 40gbs, its terrible.
And before you start gettin on my back, it's because I never had a PS2, so theres a tonne of great games out there I need to get..

Pimpwerx

I don't play any PS2 games anymore. We rented Tomb Raider Legends and GoW2 the first week I had it, but that's about it. I don't even play my old PS2 games on it. I went ahead and deleted the PS2 memory card file too, just as an exclamation point. I just don't use it.

That said, I'm six months away from the end of the first year, and so I planned on sending in my PS3 before the warranty expired. I'd just make up some excuse about intermittent power failure or something flukey like that. It's usually an easy way to get them to take things back. Even if they don't replace it, they'll no doubt at least clean it and get it back into near-new condition. That's my hope, anyway.

However, if it's gonna take a long time to get it returned to me, then no thanks. I guess I'll just try selling this 60GB later this year, and then buy whichever SKU has the latest hardware packaging. PEACE.

gcubed

a Master Ninja said:

so i have a 60GB ps3 with a PRP, if it breaks by the end of the PRP i can get 599 in store credit?

I dont use the BC on my ps3 anymore as i bought a slim ps2 from target to replace my old launch ps2 with the sale last month. I know i am in the minority, but hell, 599 credit and get a 399 machine plus 200 more in credit... sweetness :)

twofold

ice cream said:
In europe they don't even sell ANY BC PS3s, and I am def not gettin one without BC. All they sell is 40gbs, its terrible.
And before you start gettin on my back, it's because I never had a PS2, so theres a tonne of great games out there I need to get..

Just buy a PS2. It's less of a headache. The 60gb with software BC they released over here has broken BC anyway. Big name titles such DMC3 and MGS3 don't even run properly on it .

phez

Banned
Some of the things that Sony skimps on is just mind boggling. I'm still pissy at not bundling component/hdmi cables.

But I mean, if MS can just forget about older 360s and ship you a new HDMI equipped one, why doesn't sony just up the 60 giggers to 80?

phez said:
Some of the things that Sony skimps on is just mind boggling. I'm still pissy at not bundling component/hdmi cables.

But I mean, if MS can just forget about older 360s and ship you a new HDMI equipped one, why doesn't sony just up the 60 giggers to 80?
They're waiting for the Dualshocks.

Kosma

Banned
twofold said:
Just buy a PS2. It's less of a headache. The 60gb with software BC they released over here has broken BC anyway. Big name titles such DMC3 and MGS3 don't even run properly on it .

Except the PS3 BC can upscale your games so they don't look totally shit on an HDTV.

AKS

oo Kosma oo said:
When the BC-less 40GB model was announced some of the Gaf community wondered what would happen to their BC models when they broke.

Well the future is now.

1.5 month ago I sent in my 60GB PS3 to repair (Europe), now that I've called with Sony what's taking them so long all I heard on the phone was:

By that time my PS3 will be gone 2/2.5 months, with no dates as to when I will have one back home. So fellow BC PS3 owners, pray that your unit won't die, because if it does, you may be console less for a couple of months.

GTA4? Maybe not for me.

This must be a recent change. I've had friends who got a replacement 60 GB within a week.

It's illegal for an electronic product to be sold in my country without having guaranteed replacement parts for a reasonable period of time OR the shelf life of the product(e.g The supplier for Dreamcast here would have had to continue to replace and repair units for around a year after they stopped selling them, whereas the PS2 still needs to provide repair and replacement). It will be interesting to see what happens here.

Narag

Firewire said:
"oo Kosma oo" opening post has now made the news over at N4G. They linked right to his post here on Gaf. :lol

I was going to ask on page two when this would reach n4g like the guy with the power brick issue on his 360 but decided against it. =\

WinFonda

That is fucking shitty. I would never stop complaining to them. I have a 20GB PS3, so Sony needs to get this taken care of pronto.

twofold

oo Kosma oo said:
Except the PS3 BC can upscale your games so they don't look totally shit on an HDTV.

The scaler in my television is better than that in the PS3, which is a non factor for me. Most mid-range televisions should, at the very least, do nearly as good a job as the PS3 does at scaling.

Regardless - You can't play MGS3 or DMC3 to completion on the PS3. The only way you're playing them through is if you have a PS2, so the upscaling is a total non factor regardless if you want to play either of those two games or any of the many hundreds that have their own set of issues.

Narag

twofold said:
The scaler in my television is better than that in the PS3, which is a non factor for me. Most mid-range televisions should, at the very least, do nearly as good a job as the PS3 does at scaling.

Regardless - You can't play MGS3 or DMC3 to completion on the PS3. The only way you're playing them through is if you have a PS2, so the upscaling is a total non factor regardless if you want to play either of those two games or any of the many hundreds that have their own set of issues.

What's the deal with MGS3 and DMC3?

I'd like to amend this with does it affect subsistence and DMC3: SE too?

MoxManiac

twofold said:

Huh? why not?

SlaughterX said:

I think I remember him mentioning that he already Jumped In, had a console die, then Jumped Out. After that he started Living or Playing Beyond or what ever but then this happened.

By the way, this situation really sucks. I bought a 20 GB when I started hearing talk of BC being phased out in the US. I would be very upset if I had a problem and ended up losing full hardware BC.

Kobayashi

It's the same problem here in Belgium.

Some of our customers have been waiting 2 months+ now.

But today Sony had some great news for them! If they want they can replace their 60GB with a 40 GB PS3 so they can start gaming right away...!

No, i'm not joking.

Proc

Acidote said:
Playing GoW2 and Odin Sphere, and P3:FES soon. Probably more to come. It's not that unusual.

agreed. The ps3 upscaling is beautiful for the most part. Couple that with the dualshock 3, it's a great way to play ps2 games on a hi-def display.

gcubed

Capsule Gang said:
man... i just bought a refurbished gamestop 60gig too... >prays<

this is probably just a Euro issue, as the BC is coming back on June 12th in the US... for the next 2 months though...

twofold

Narag said:
What's the deal with MGS3 and DMC3?

I'd like to amend this with does it affect subsistence and DMC3: SE too?

MGS crashes every 15 odd minutes. The system locks up and stops working.

I haven't actually tried DMC3 specifically, but I did start another playthrough of DMC3:SE prior to DMC4s release on my 60gb. I was playing as Vergil - all going well until I hit Mission 18 where you have to fight all the bosses again. The problem? Only two of the bossfights load. The rest refuse to start, meaning it's not possible to pass the mission. I got pretty frustrated and started a playthrough as Dante. Got to Mission 18 - same thing again.

Interestingly, according to Sony's BC Games site, DMC3 and DMC3:SE have no known issues, which isn't the case at all (I'd like to note, I did try to e-mail Sony about the DMC3:SE issue - no reply to any of my e-mails). MGS3 isn't even listed on the BC site, but subsistence apparently has "noticable issues".

So not cool.

MoxManiac

twofold said:

I haven't actually tried DMC3 specifically, but I did start another playthrough of DMC3:SE prior to DMC4s release on my 60gb. I was playing as Vergil - all going well until I hit Mission 18 where you have to fight all the bosses again. The problem? Only two of the bossfights load. The rest refuse to start, meaning it's not possible to pass the mission. I got pretty frustrated and started a playthrough as Dante. Got to Mission 18 - same thing again.

Interestingly, according to Sony's BC Games site, DMC3 and DMC3:SE have no known issues, which isn't the case at all (I'd like to note, I did try to e-mail Sony about the DMC3:SE issue - no reply to any of my e-mails). MGS3 isn't even listed on the BC site, but subsistence apparently has "noticable issues".

So not cool.

I think Costanza played through MGS3 on his PS3 with no problems.

Narag

twofold said:

So not cool.

That sucks. I'd appreciate anyone else with input in this matter popping in to give their experiences too. Those are my two favorite games on the system and reading this is like a kick to each nut.

Zylander

Many PS2 games look like ass on my HDTV, I'm considering buying a second hand SDTV to do the job. Stupidly I sold my old TV when I upgraded several years ago.

I have a PAL PS3, so we were never offered the opportunity to pick up a fully BC model. Instead we got a delayed launch and a rather average movie (sorry James Bond fans) /woe

twofold

MoxManiac said:
I think Costanza played through MGS3 on his PS3 with no problems.

That's great.

But I can't. And it sucks.

I really wish I could play it because I haven't had the chance to finish the game yet and I'd love to get through it before MGS4 hits, but my PS3 seems to want to deny me. Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom