• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Giolon

Having finished Gurren Lagann, I'm now giving KLK a marathon re-watch. I saw the first three again last night, and it still just bowls me over how fun this show is. It never takes itself seriously, it's willing to point out the absurdity of just about everything, constantly lampshading itself, and there's so many little easter eggs tucked away in each scene I can't help but chuckle with glee. It's interesting to see what sorts of hints and clues to later developments are sprinkled around the early episodes.

Episode 3 is still one of the best fights in the show, which I suppose is ultimately a bit disappointing since Ryuko v Ragyo could've been so much more epic by comparison. The Trigger guys really were going all out in these early episodes (even though there still were plenty of animation shortcuts), and that's something that's not quite as present in the final episodes. I think Episode 15 or so, or whatever was the end of the Kansai-arc was the last time we really saw the animators go nuts.

Jinaar

Just finished episode 24. All I have to ask is: When Senkatsu
flies into Ragyō Kiryūin's chest and bursts out around the 6:45 mark, an old is flung out and falls down during a scene that lasts a second or two. I just checked and checked online but no one is mentioning it.
. Any thoughts?

Jinaar

You mean Rei? It's kinda just ignored. I mean, she seems alive when she gets freed, but who knows. She felt like a waste of a character to me.

My goodness, was it really her? I have to review this again. If so, I'm getting old. My eyes and brain are failing me.

TheOGB

Banned
Just finished episode 24. All I have to ask is: When Senkatsu
flies into Ragyō Kiryūin's chest and bursts out around the 6:45 mark, an old is flung out and falls down during a scene that lasts a second or two. I just checked and checked online but no one is mentioning it.
. Any thoughts?
That's her secretary, Rei Hououmaru. Rei was the power source of Shinra-Koketsu's Absolute Domination ability, so when Senketsu bursts through and knocks her out of Ragyo's kamui, the Absolute Domination stopped working. Rei fell and hit the rock, and that's the last we see of her, so I guess we don't know if she's dead or what.

woah I'm late

Scum

klkblush.png

A-V-B

That's her secretary, Rei Hououmaru. Rei was the power source of Shinra-Koketsu's Absolute Domination ability, so when Senketsu bursts through and knocks her out of Ragyo's kamui, the Absolute Domination stopped working. Rei fell and hit the rock, and that's the last we see of her, so I guess we don't know if she's dead or what.

woah I'm late

No body, she's alive. I'm calling "Joker" Rules.

A-V-B

Having finished Gurren Lagann, I'm now giving KLK a marathon re-watch. I saw the first three again last night, and it still just bowls me over how fun this show is. It never takes itself seriously, it's willing to point out the absurdity of just about everything, constantly lampshading itself, and there's so many little easter eggs tucked away in each scene I can't help but chuckle with glee. It's interesting to see what sorts of hints and clues to later developments are sprinkled around the early episodes.

Episode 3 is still one of the best fights in the show, which I suppose is ultimately a bit disappointing since Ryuko v Ragyo could've been so much more epic by comparison. The Trigger guys really were going all out in these early episodes (even though there still were plenty of animation shortcuts), and that's something that's not quite as present in the final episodes. I think Episode 15 or so, or whatever was the end of the Kansai-arc was the last time we really saw the animators go nuts.

TBH, I think the earlier episodes just look a LOT better than the later ones (4 not withstanding.)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hello Kill la Kill GAF

I am working on a Twitter/Facebook/Petition campaign, the objective is letting them know that there is interest in a KLK game to be made.
I am pratically ready and i'd like to start this project here on GAf because i think it's the better place to make this initiave grow and give it the chance to be spread as much as possible.

At the beginnig i put P* in this project, but after I saw this:
http://twilog.org/PG_kamiya/search?w...la Kill&ao=a (but in the OP i am working it is said not to tweet to Kamiya)

But it was this: https://twitter.com/PG_jp/status/449426851371302912

That makes me change idea.

SO
------>It's important to focus on Trigger FIRST, make them realize of the potentaility of a KlK action game and SUGGEST them the perfect devs for that (I know it's P* for many of us, but it's better that Trigger realizes of it instead of hundrends of people asking Platinum for no reason making the situation even worse), so don't bother P* rather,
ASK TRIGGER FIRSTLY.<------------------

7XpvK.png

I know, in the beginning even I was considering myself a stupid for thinking about all this stuff, but through the internet and some friends of mine I found out that many others have seen some similarities between Platinum and Trigger too, and also want a Kill la Kill game developed by them.
I really have faith in this iniative but I'd like to know your opinion so I can realize if this can become a thing and launch it here and around the web.
Thank you all, let me know what you think,contact me, if the feedbacks are positive I'll share all the details to let's get started.

Did JP seriously just call KLK "moe"? What the fuck even.

-MD-

Just wanna say I finished this over the course of a week or two and really enjoyed it. I'm by no means an anime fan, I've only watched a handful to completion (Bebop, DBZ, Attack on Titan, Trigun) but this was a really fun show.

The fan service got pretty repetitive but everything else was high quality stuff. Nui's theme was amazing, chills whenever I heard it.

A-V-B

Satsuki's design is two things.

1. Giant Intense Eyebrows
2. :< mouth

That's it. With those things, you have Satsuki.

Without even one, you do not have Satsuki. (You can transition into a different mouth here and there, but it must always return to :< at some point.)

Gbraga

Those fanarts are so cuuuuuuuuute

Kill la Kill Season 2 being a slice of life anime of cute girls doing cute things would be too good to be true.

JPKellams

Hey, never say never. There are probably plenty of fans at work and I don't pick projects. I just probably wouldn't raise my hand to produce the thing. :)

Gbraga

Hey, never say never. There are probably plenty of fans at work and I don't pick projects. I just probably wouldn't raise my hand to producer the thing. :)

People really need to understand that personal twitters are personal when it comes to Platinum.

If for some reason they decide to make a Kill la Kill game, it'll happen, doesn't matter what JP thinks about it.

You're wrong about moe though.

javac

How did you even cone across this thread in the first place? Was it through Twitter? I feel sorry for you with all the requests you must be getting and everyone asking you why you don't like anime lol.
Kill la kill rocks btw.

JPKellams

Yeah. Twitter. Suddenly got a whole bunch of Kill La Kill tweets off a 3 week old twitter convo and was certain some website was fanning the flames.

Googled it and arrived here.

TheOGB

Banned
I thought the point of the thing was to go to Trigger and not Platinum, like asking one parent to get around asking the one you know will say no

javac

Yeah. Twitter. Suddenly got a whole bunch of Kill La Kill tweets off a 3 week old twitter convo and was certain some website was fanning the flames.

Googled it and arrived here.

Damn. I know it must be annoying but I'd try to take it as a positive. A lot of people love kill la kill and similar shows and having fans want platinum to work on a game shows how much faith people have in your abilities. You make amazing games so people always jump to Platinum when thinking of which dev should make a game. You hear it a lot with Starfox too.

Of course having people tag something you don't like (anime) onto yourself might not seem flattering but I'm sure you see deep down there's no harm intended. You guys make amazing, hyperactive, elegant action games and something like Kill La Kill to many people may seem like a perfect fit.

Getting bombarded with tweets must be...annoying but I'm sure you see its from a good place. Anime fans can be passionate at times...sometimes overly soo! It's all in the name of good fun. We all love Platinum you see :)

EDIT: I'll tell everyone to get off your back. Don't worry!

Giolon

It would be great if we took this thread back to talking about the show itself instead of using it as a vehicle to harass people on Twitter.

Edit: Forget it. I'll come back once this has all blown over (if the thread doesn't get closed before that happens).

Wow, he dislikes all anime post-eva? So, what, he dislikes Cowboy Bebop too?

Guess everyone has their tastes. Ah well. Who needs Platinum for everything anyway. They'll make their own games, and the world will makes its. Sure they have enough on their plate as it is.

He said Bebop was cool, but pretty much everything else was crap. Or at least that's my understanding.

Dave1988

Meh, it's his opinion and all even if it does feel like a case of a pot calling the kettle black. Whatever.

Still, a Kill la Kill game isn't likely to happen. Neither Trigger nor Platinum Games are exactly swimming in money and there's no way a KlK game would light the sales charts on fire.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am fine with him passing on the idea of Platinum Kill la Kill game. Not a fan of his Oldtaku mindset though. Evangellion was nearly 20 years ago at this point.

JPKellams

I think that Eva marked a clear shift away from what was more an OVA/feature driven industry.

Eva showed up, and reused lots of scenes to keep the quality high and the budget low. But thematically it is a mess. Mamoru Oshii is right: http://otakuusamagazine.com/LatestN...i-The-most-opinionated-man-in-anime-4973.aspx

The other shift was that the character designs, not the characters, became the selling point. It's all about how you can sell the character in merchandising/UFO catcher toys now, not about who the characters actually are.

I don't think you can honestly compare current anime, which is basically Michael Bay/summer blockbuster stuff to me, with what was going on in the 80s and 90s. Miyazaki's golden age, Akira, Ghost in the Shell (an anime with an attractive female character that is about the character not the design), Roujin Z, Honnaemise, Jin-Roh, etc. The gap in quality is huge and clear. Obviously, there are outliers, like Bepop and Millennium Actress, but they are the exception to the rule when they used to be the norm.

If that is what anime is about now, I'm just not a fan. It doesn't speak to me. Doesn't mean it can't speak to you...

EDIT: One added thing. For all the money that Eva made, the anime industry has been in clear decline since it came out. All these companies chasing that crowd and appealing to a smaller and smaller market. Correlation does not imply causation, but I think there is something to be said for the correlation being pretty strong.

I think that Eva marked a clear shift away from what was more an OVA/feature driven industry.

Eva showed up, and reused lots of scenes to keep the quality high and the budget low. But thematically it is a mess. Mamoru Oshii is right: http://otakuusamagazine.com/LatestN...i-The-most-opinionated-man-in-anime-4973.aspx

The other shift was that the character designs, not the characters, became the selling point. It's all about how you can sell the character in merchandising/UFO catcher toys now, not about who the characters actually are.

I don't think you can honestly compare current anime, which is basically Michael Bay/summer blockbuster stuff to me, with what was going on in the 80s and 90s. Miyazaki's golden age, Akira, Ghost in the Shell (an anime with an attractive female character that is about the character not the design), Roujin Z, Honnaemise, Jin-Roh, etc. The gap in quality is huge and clear. Obviously, there are outliers, like Bepop and Millennium Actress, but they are the exception to the rule when they used to be the norm.

If that is what anime is about now, I'm just not a fan. It doesn't speak to me. Doesn't mean it can't speak to you...

Alright, I was going back and forth with you a little on Twitter. So is there ANYTHING you can point to that you at least kind of like since Bebop? When we were conversing it seemed like you kind of just write anything off if its from like 2000-present.

I'm not crazy about most anime either, but on the other hand, I loved Gurren Lagann, it just clicked with me. I totally get what you're saying and agree with it in concept, but it seems kind of absolutist, you know?

Top Bottom