• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Woorloog

Banned
Honestly, i never liked the Locust. And i said the Covies having walking vehicles is another matter. As long as they don't get any two-legged ones.

Honestly, i never liked the Locust. And i said the Covies having walking vehicles is another matter. As long as they don't get any two-legged ones.

1000px-Gorgon.jpg

The Locust is one of the best vehicles in the franchise.

I honestly don't have a huge problem with the Mantis, but I'd prefer more mech variations. Maybe standardize the vehicles along the lines of:

Recon - Mongoose / Ghost / Lightcycle
Transport - Warthog / Spectre or Revenant / ???
Tank - Scorpion / Wraith / Forerunner Tank
Mech - Mantis / Locust / Strato-Sentinel
Aircraft - Falcon / Banshee / ???
Wildcard - Railgun Hog (replaces Gauss) / Chopper / ???

A CQC mech would be awesome and terrifying, though. Like, all of the offensive options are just variations on the stomp or about 50 shotguns duct-taped to the arm cannon.

The Mantis, as a mech, doesn't fit Halo universe
I wonder if Bungie felt this same level of resistance when pitching ideas for future Halo games and Microsoft coming along and saying, "NOPE! Doesn't fit Halo.. Needs more army army marines marines shootbang humanity. Get your creative ideas out of here!"

Relationship squandered and along came Destiny with a focus on PlayStation platforms.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm not generally speaking opposed to new concepts, mechs are something of an exception. Star Wars can get away with them, otherwise mechs are something for mech-games only (though i think original Starcraft Goliath is fine. Never liked Starcraft 2 mechs added for Terrans though).
Hell, i like most things in Halo 4, stuff that is added to lore and the universe (the Mantis, and the Forward Unto Dawn's new looks aside).

iBDmaIEKYLcjb.png

This looks like an awesome land-based vehicle, like the Spectre and the Revenant had a muscle car baby. The driver can hop into a pod in the middle and two passengers could sit on the curved middly parts on the side!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I wonder if Bungie felt this same level of resistance when pitching ideas for future Halo games and Microsoft coming along and saying, "NOPE! Doesn't fit Halo.. Needs more army army marines marines shootbang humanity. Get your creative ideas out of here!"

Relationship squandered and along came Destiny with a focus on PlayStation platforms.

If you honestly think Bungie had to "pitch ideas" to MS about what was in the game then you have a pretty limited understanding of how confident MS was in Bungie's ability to deliver amazing games.

Shane Kim: "No dawg those grenades are hella OP and they might get stuck in texturez!!!!1"

Woorloog

Banned
iBDmaIEKYLcjb.png

This looks like an awesome land-based vehicle, like the Spectre and the Revenant had a muscle car baby. The driver can hop into a pod in the middle and two passengers could sit on the curved middly parts on the side!
Yup, cool looking. Something that would fit the Covies perfectly.

It is a real shame the Halo 4 version of the Revenant wasn't included in the final game...

I always thought vehicle gameplay in Halo was slow because Halo had so much open spaces and somewhat good Enemies IAs so they couldnt afford more resources in other aspects.

The sabre mission in Halo Reach was okay but didnt felt dinamic as I believed it supposed to be

If you honestly think Bungie had to "pitch ideas" to MS about what was in the game then you have a pretty limited understanding of how confident MS was in Bungie's ability to deliver amazing games.

Shane Kim: "No dawg those grenades are hella OP and they might get stuck in texturez!!!!1"

"I wonder" - And "pitch" was the wrong word anyway.. I more meant Microsoft having an active role in the design/development instead of Bungie being the sole group behind everything.

Either way, you're telling me Microsoft had 0 influence over anything Halo related? If so, fair enough "dawg" but I highly doubt it.

EDIT: As far as having an impact on the design, is it unreasonable for one to think that a publisher (Microsoft) has some say over these things (Halo's design) when it happens all over the industry?

iBDmaIEKYLcjb.png

Spiker antivehicle ground unit ? Oh man, thats why 343i needs to do specific multiplayer/campaign weapons and vehicles

FyreWulff

I always thought vehicle gameplay in Halo was slow because Halo had so much open spaces and somewhat good Enemies IAs so they couldnt afford more resources in other aspects.

The sabre mission in Halo Reach was okay but didnt felt dinamic as I believed it supposed to be

Well, as the vehicle gets more powerful, you slow it down to balance it. Otherwise you'd have to make levels hilariously big to account for a super fast tank - think of how maps have to be scaled up to accomodate sprint, now imagine scaling up a map to accomodate a 80mph tank. It'd be like having a ghost that shoots super sniper rifle bullets with AOE at the impact point, without mods.

Performance wise, scorpion tanks are equivalent to 16 warthogs roughly, according to a Bungie.net Forge World post that I'm not going to go bother to find a link for.

Of course, they gave up trying to balance the Scorpion because well, it's basically a gigantic sniper rifle. So the Wraith ends up as the "actually balanced for internet play" tank, hence why you see it everywhere in multiplayer, and not so much the Scorpion. Maps that did feature the Scorpion by default that weren't direct remakes always had a giant hill in the middle or used a valley to control it's firing lines (Waterworks, Containment)

think of how maps have to be scaled up to accomodate sprint
How is Haven any larger or wider than maps we've seen in previous games? How do games like Murder Miners have dashes, sprint, walls jumps, etc. that work well on small maps? What am I missing?
Maps that did feature the Scorpion by default that weren't direct remakes always had a giant hill in the middle or used a valley to control it's firing lines (Waterworks, Containment)
You know what I would do on those maps you described that featured a Tank but had a big hill in the middle to block sight lines? Stroll over to that hill, place the Tank on top of it, and continue to easily terrorize the other team. Using the Tank on Containment was incredible easy, but the thing that balanced it was better player routes on foot and weapons that could take it out like the lock-on Rocket.

Sure the Wraith is more "balanced" pound for pound, but in terms of pure fun I think there's just no comparison.

Woorloog

Banned
The Wraith is fun, much better than the Scorpion. I was always very disappointed you could use it in the Halo CE. The first time the thing fires at you... it was awesome.
Human tank? Meh.

Vico

Sunset Overdrive looks amazing. Didn't expect too be THAT impressed. Confirming my Xbox One purchase right now.

The Scorpion ain't fun there either. I usually stick with the Gauss Hog (especially if playing with a friend), or hijack a Wraith or Chopper. Or go on foot.

Just about the only section where i do find the Scorpion okay is that Halo 2 bridge section, was it Metropolis beginning? Anyway, even then the section is more interesting with the Warthog.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Like it's been said, can't say I liked it in the Package (also in Delta Halo, hallways were way too tight). But yeah, I usually love it. And I'll always expect a mainline title to feature a level specifically designed with the scorpion in mind.

New vehicles would be nice as long they actually fit in so no repeats of the mantis. Snowspeeders vs Scarabs?

Damn, I actually want this. Just... Not in the snow, but in the sand.

The Wraith is fun, much better than the Scorpion. I was always very disappointed you could use it in the Halo CE. The first time the thing fires at you... it was awesome.
Human tank? Meh.
The CE Tank was the most balanced Tank IMO due to its arc, slower travel time and more exposed driver without having to shoot the hatch off (seems like this became more difficult in later games).

The CE Tank was the most balanced Tank IMO due to its arc, slower travel time and more exposed driver without having to shoot the hatch off (seems like this became more difficult in later games).

I don't remember the shot arcing in CE. I feel like Reach had the easiest one to snipe out the driver.

Caladrius

I don't remember the shot arcing in CE. I feel like Reach had the easiest one to snipe out the driver.

The Reach Tank was utterly devastating if you knew how to play defensively though.

That island level in Reach was a nightmare at times if you had an enemy scorpion piloted by someone with good situational awareness.

So much raging.

The new Unreal Tournament being a "community driven" game sounds exciting and something I'd love to see for Halo multiplayer in terms of customization (tweaking weapons stats, etc.).
I feel like Reach had the easiest one to snipe out the driver.
Yeah this is probably correct, but that was because all the vehicles were easily destroyed/broken apart by regular bullets. I wouldn't like to see it that way again, unless they just made the cover have less hit points. Speaking of which, weak points should return in places where it makes sense, like this or the explosive tank on the Ghost.

EDIT:
Also, neutering tanks (removing their cannons without killing them) was a pretty fun addition.
Yup, making a gunner seat was a good decision.

The new Unreal Tournament being a "community driven" game sounds exciting and something I'd love to see for Halo multiplayer in terms of customization (tweaking weapons stats, etc.).

Yeah this is probably correct, but that was because all the vehicles were easily destroyed/broken apart by regular bullets. I wouldn't like to see it that way again, unless they just made the cover have less hit points. Speaking of which, weak points should return in places where it makes sense, like this or the explosive tank on the Ghost.

I already have plans for tastes-like-halo UT.

Also, neutering tanks (removing their cannons without killing them) was a pretty fun addition.

Woorloog

Banned

Perhaps but it wasn't fun. Having to shoot 10 times to hit something from range wasn't fun, and the tank wasn't nimble enough for close range battles (the machine gun being inaccurate didn't really help any).
It was actually the fastest Scorpion in any Halo though it had slow acceleration.
As for driver vulnerability... you just destroy the whole tank or hijack it in the later Halos. Don't forget Halo CE vehicles functioned very differently from later Halos.

Mistel

Banned
That island level in Reach was a nightmare at times if you had an enemy scorpion piloted by someone with good situational awareness.

So much raging.
I miss Paridiso fun times. Banshee or a tank you could be pretty much unstoppable against most randoms.
Damn, I actually want this. Just... Not in the snow, but in the sand.
Snow would make it better I think it would be a nicer environment.

Woorloog

Banned
If Halo must keep the Mantis, then slight change to it: Replace the missile battery with another minigun. Just for the sake of having twin HMGs, but make them inaccurate, like Halo CE Warthog/Scorpion MG were.
(And tweak its health and endurance naturally. I'd increase its agility and speed but reduce its overall health perhaps)

Perhaps but it wasn't fun. Having to shoot 10 times to hit something from range wasn't fun, and the tank wasn't nimble enough for close range battles (the machine gun being inaccurate didn't really help any).
It was actually the fastest Scorpion in any Halo though it had slow acceleration.

Sounds like you're talking about the BR on Valhalla.. but I digress.

It's a highly explosive Tank round that takes one shot to kill with a fairly large blast radius. Aiming properly to land that shot is part of the fun, especially when there isn't as much randomness added to the equation like the BR spread. Once you could predict the placement of your shots, using the CE Tank felt very rewarding, similar to leading shots with the CE Pistol or the CE Sniper.

As far as the handling goes, it definitely improved in later games because they let you control the turret separately from the movement.
As for driver vulnerability... you just destroy the whole tank or hijack it in the later Halos.
Or shoot out the driver seat cover, leaving the driver exposed for body/headshots. These are the little details that make Halo feel special.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm talking about single player alone, where the BR spread doesn't have much effect, and the tank's inaccuracy does. (And honestly, i never bothered with the tank in Halo PC MP, not seriously at least, and i usually played on servers where the tank wasn't in use). Was the tank balanced in CE campaign? Perhaps, but i still don't think it was fun.
And it was ridiculously random, it wasn't consistent, it didn't have a pattern. It was utterly unpredictable.

As for shooting the tank driver from their tank, it is a neat detail though largely impractical most of the time. Or when you do that, someone, usually from your team, blows up the tank anyway.

EDIT modified.

EDIT are we talking about the same game and tank? Halo CE, the Scorpion with its inaccurate main and secondary armaments.

Ampoc

Neo Member
Apparently Microsoft's E3 Press Conference details have been leaked by some blog. I have no idea if the source is legit or not so don't get your hopes up. With that being said, here is the blog post: http://thecutanddry.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/leaked-microsoft-e3-2014.html

Written within the blog is this:
343 Industries will unveil Halo 2: Anniversary. This is a full (multiplayer included) visual makeover of Halo 2, it will also include the same options as Halo Anniversary (Including both visual modes) skulls etc. It will include the E3 2003 mission as a bonus unlockable and the maps from the PC version.

And also this,
Halo 5 will get its release date.

There is also some other cool stuff written as well. Although if this isn't true, it's still cool to believe. And we all know that H2A is coming, so this gives us a little more Halo news to chew on while we wait for E3. I'm very excited whether this leak is real or not but I feel it's pretty fake judging by some of the stuff written in it but any news is news.

Also I want to make it clear that this is indeed a random blog so don't take it all in. I saw this on reddit and thought it'd be cool to post here. Just for your thoughts.

Woorloog

Banned
Random blog posts something? I call it fake.
Would be neat if true, of course. And perhaps some of those things will be true, but only because the writer guessed them.

EDIT i feel it is made as a response to yesterday's "Sony leak", which i also think is fake.

EDIT:
Yup, making a gunner seat was a good decision.

I mean the 90mm tungsten cannon being able to be blown off without outright destroying the tank, but yeah, the cannon-chaingun split was a smart idea too. I was running through CEA with my boyfriend two weeks ago and completely forgot you could chaingun as main driver until I hit LT on accident.

bidguy

Banned
Apparently Microsoft's E3 Press Conference details have been leaked by some blog. I have no idea if the source is legit or not so don't get your hopes up. With that being said, here is the blog post: http://thecutanddry.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/leaked-microsoft-e3-2014.html

Written within the blog is this:

And also this,

There is also some other cool stuff written as well. Although if this isn't true, it's still cool to believe. And we all know that H2A is coming, so this gives us a little more Halo news to chew on while we wait for E3. I'm very excited whether this leak is real or not but I feel it's pretty fake judging by some of the stuff written in it but any news is news.

Also I want to make it clear that this is indeed a random blog so don't take it all in. I saw this on reddit and thought it'd be cool to post here. Just for your thoughts.

"This info comes from the highest source"

must be true then

FyreWulff

How is Haven any larger or wider than maps we've seen in previous games? How do games like Murder Miners have dashes, sprint, walls jumps, etc. that work well on small maps? What am I missing?

Haven is Haven. It has the timing and distances intended for Haven.

Other maps from previous games have been scaled to fit the new games they show up in. You can't just port them directly, or else unintended paths and timing show up.

Random blog posts something? I call it fake.
Would be neat if true, of course. And perhaps some of those things will be true, but only because the writer guessed them.

EDIT i feel it is made as a response to yesterday's "Sony leak", which i also think is fake.

I'd find a playable Halo 2 E3 2003 demo plausible, mostly because the One would have enough RAM, you wouldn't need someone deleting objects behind you as you walk around.

On the other hand, many moments in it were outright scripted and not truly implemented. So either you have to include a digital manual on how to properly demo the game to yourself, or somehow program in the unimplemented stuff. I'd honestly prefer the first one, because it's neat to see stuff like that. They actually did this with Full Spectrum Warrior on the Xbox, you could unlock an alternate version of the game with a code that had a lot of weird implementations of stuff from the consumer game.

Vico

I miss Paridiso fun times. Banshee or a tank you could be pretty much unstoppable against most randoms.

Snow would make it better I think it would be a nicer environment.

I was actually just thinking about the E3 announcement, set in the desert.
But sand would mostly allow the scene to not be a total star Wars rip-off.

Mistel

Banned
I was actually just thinking about the E3 announcement, set in the desert.
But sand would mostly allow the scene to not be a total star Wars rip-off.
True there's lot's of interesting environments it could be in. I wonder how much time we will be in that desert?

Top Bottom