• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony full year results - $1.25bn loss, PS operating loss $78m, PS sales 14.6m, 17m fc

Sid

R&D likely went into making the PS3 even slimmer too. 22nm Cell is on the cards to be released this year.

I think the launch of the final, slimmest PS3 model will coincide with a pricedrop and this will bring sales back up.
PS3 may see a price drop to $200 but PS4 will replace it within 2 years IMO.

Scottiths

Banned
I really hope this doesn't kill off the PlayStation or have too much effect on it. I don't own it or plan to own it, but it's existence makes xbox strive to be better. I don't like the killing kinect, but usually competition is good.

So Sony's Gross Profit Margin is under 8%. Sony is supposed to be a "premium brand" but that gross profit margin really shows that while the components and design may be premium, they have almost ZERO pricing power with the consumer due to the quality of competition. Again, the gross profit margin is terrible, especially when your revenue growth, while positive, is behind the industry average.

Somnid

Forecasting more loss? They have to ditch more divisions (TV would be a good start), I cannot imagine any investor sticking around for more punishment.

Do they have more buildings to sell? Weren't they starting an official real-estate business division?

nintendo_sony7fkko.gif

No webm.

the Wii was gold for nintendo

From the call:

Questions on game:

Is the 17m forecast too conservative?

Half of PS4 users have PS+.

Is it worth bothering with PS Vita at just 3.5m units?

Vita doing less than expectations.

Is there a chance of PS2 like margins (10%)?

Cost of SNEI has reduced margins because of infrastructure investments, backbone servers etc...

PS4 has a good potential to achieve PS2 like margins.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Overall it looks bad but 17million loss on PS is nothing. So thats a really good sign. I dont think Sony can stop bleeding and survive from the profit of playstaion only, they seriously need to do restructuring. And focus more on smartphones as well. Smartphone, Playstation and Playstation Network should be their key to success in this world.

I actually like Microsofts new Mobile first, Cloud first strategy.

Vashetti

Banned
PS3 may see a price drop to $200 but PS4 will replace it within 2 years IMO.

Both PS3 and 360 need significant pricedrops. Poorer families still can't afford them, and that's a big untapped market so far for those consoles.

If Sony want to make more profit on PS3s, they need to make it slimmer, cheaper and easier to produce.

22nm Cell already exists and Digital Foundry are sure it's coming this year:

ps3.jpg

The 22nm Cell is also going into the PS3 server clusters for PS Now, to ensure the lowest electrical cost and efficiency

Wynnebeck

Banned
Some of the posts in here are downright embarrassing talking about spinning off Games and mentioning Nintendo when they have no relevance at all to the current conversation. Fanboys mayne.

Could Playstation even exist in its current form with out the rest of the company?

Well, we don't know what kind of economies-of-scale that PlayStation is benefiting from Electronics/Mobile/PC to make that assumption.

But Mobile/Music/Pictures/TV/Finance/Camera could definitely co-exist with Playstation.

From the call:

Questions on game:

Is the 17m forecast too conservative?

Half of PS4 users have PS+.

Is it worth bothering with PS Vita at just 3.5m units?

Vita doing less than expectations.

Is there a chance of PS2 like margins (10%)?

Cost of SNEI has reduced margins because of infrastructure investments, backbone servers etc...

PS4 has a good potential to achieve PS2 like margins.

PS2 was good years for profit so if they could get done again that would be good .
Along with the other benefits it could bring to other sectors.

jcm

We don't know how many PS3s were sold though, right? Plus, it's still too expensive for the secondary markets.

We can get a reasonably accurate guess. Last year they shipped 3.4M PS3 + PS2. The years prior were 1.9, 2.1, 2.2 for PS3 alone. So we can say the PS3 has probably averaged a touch over 2M shipped in the Jan-Mar quarter.

Now, this year they shipped 3.7M consoles including PS4. The PS4 is likely shipping about 1M per month. We're probably looking at PS3 <= 1M for the quarter. That's a big dropoff, and it's happening much more quickly than it did for PS2. I agree that it's still too expensive, but that's a problem with the design. It's never going to cost-reduce as well as the PS2 did, which is just one more way the project was a failure.

Also, this shipment number obfuscation Sony is pulling is some real bullshit. I wish someone would cal them out on it during an earnings call.

rjinaz

You wouldn't think that in the weekly Nintendo is doomed threads :)

You do realize that the only people that really say "Nintendo are doomed" are those that defend Nintendo saying others are saying it right? Case in point. The Wii U on the other hand is failing and people aren't just going to ignore it. Is there hyperbole? Yes, it comes from both sides but most know Nintendo still has lots of money.

Are the TV and Mobile sales forecasts too aggressive?

TV, not really, we feel this year will have growth.

Mobile, definitely not, expanding into key markets and partnering with carriers for high sales growth.

Why is R&D spending growing so much?

Expanding smartphone development, that is our key business policy.

.....Next dude....

How will you achieve the 16m TV sales forecast, will you be gaining market share in a falling market?

Yes, we are doing well with 4K, the sales growth in 4K. Margins in India are strong.

What is the proportion of the market is 4K, also specifically for Sony?

I couldn't hear the answer properly, but it was specific to Sony.

How much of the 262bn yen of "all other costs" is a one off, and why is it so high?

135bn yen of that is for transforming the company (restructuring), on top of that Vaio business losses are included in that rather than the mobile section. Vaio business closes down so it is a one off cost ~40bn yen.

(the questioner seems like an idiot to be honest, Yoshida seems irritated).

... New questioner....

Same question again on the 262bn yen. FFS.

Not possible to give a further breakdown of the figure.

Asks the same fucking question again.

Of 135bn yen, 36bn yen is associated with Vaio, additionally more operating losses are associated with Vaio.

Is the restructuring cost larger than expected, what is management doing on this, is there going to be a positive impact worth more than the 100bn being spent?

Yes. More benefits than the 100bn announced previously.

Any new plans for restructuring to announce? More job losses etc...?

Doesn't look like it, just the same 5,000 job losses and a recruitment freeze.

Timing of restructuring, is it going to be first half heavy or spread out evenly, how much of the 100bn gain is already in the budget?

Benefits will be accrued in FY15, possible to get benefits in second half, but mostly in 15.

Question about regional staffing levels

Japanese labour laws are very strict.

How is baseline profitability going to be post restructuring?

Can't really say.

Fasulo - Paying a lot of tax.

Most of R&D in smart phones eh? Positive, Sony has a very small market share and could grow. Negative, smart phone market has hit saturation (and tablets are approaching that mark too).

How well they do in Smartphones this fiscal year is going to depend majorly on execution because margin pressure industry wide is going to rise, especially in the US with carrier push back against subsidizing phones.

You do realize that the only people that really say "Nintendo are doomed" are those that defend Nintendo saying others are saying it right? Case in point. The Wii U on the other hand is failing and people aren't just going to ignore it. Is there hyperbole? Yes, it comes from both sides but most know Nintendo still has lots of money.

It's a dumb argument... but really. You think it's the Nintendo fanboys talking about "doom"? Have you ever been to any gaming website ever?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So the current PS losses are the lowest ever for Sony in a launch year right? And they are expecting a profit this year. So really nothing to doom and gloom in regards to the Playstation division. Seriously though, something needs to be done with TV division. Sony would be posting a healthy profit if it wasn't for TV and PC. The losses from PC will affect the company for another year. Hopefully, TV division losses will keep shrinking as they have.

Kysen

Are the TV and Mobile sales forecasts too aggressive?

TV, not really, we feel this year will have growth.

Mobile, definitely not, expanding into key markets and partnering with carriers for high sales growth.

Why is R&D spending growing so much?

Expanding smartphone development, that is our key business policy.

.....Next dude....

How will you achieve the 16m TV sales forecast, will you be gaining market share in a falling market?

Yes, we are doing well with 4K, the sales growth in 4K. Margins in India are strong.

The levels of BS coming from these answers is staggering. No way is TV growing for them, neither is mobile as they just cant compete with Samsung/Apple. Sounds like more of the same.

These smilies don't work do they?

Heshinsi

The levels of BS coming from these answers is staggering. No way is TV growing for them, neither is mobile as they just cant compete with Samsung/Apple. Sounds like more of the same.

Well something caused losses to go from -85 billion yen to -26 billion yen year to year.

QaaQer

Japanese labour laws are very strict.

TAGAJO, Japan — Shusaku Tani is employed at the Sony plant here, but he doesn’t really work.

For more than two years, he has come to a small room, taken a seat and then passed the time reading newspapers, browsing the Web and poring over engineering textbooks from his college days. He files a report on his activities at the end of each day.

Sony, Mr. Tani’s employer of 32 years, consigned him to this room because they can’t get rid of him. Sony had eliminated his position at the Sony Sendai Technology Center, which in better times produced magnetic tapes for videos and cassettes. But Mr. Tani, 51, refused to take an early retirement offer from Sony in late 2010 — his prerogative under Japanese labor law.

So there he sits in what is called the “chasing-out room.” He spends his days there, with about 40 other holdouts.

“I won’t leave,” Mr. Tani said. “Companies aren’t supposed to act this way. It’s inhumane.”

The standoff between workers and management at the Sendai factory underscores an intensifying battle over hiring and firing practices in Japan, where lifetime employment has long been the norm and where large-scale layoffs remain a social taboo, at least at Japan’s largest corporations.

Sony wants to change that, and so does Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. As Japan’s economic recovery slows, reducing the restraints on companies has become even more important to Mr. Abe’s economic plans. He wants to loosen rigid rules on job terminations for full-time staff.

Economists say bringing flexibility to the labor market in Japan would help struggling companies streamline bloated work forces to better compete in the global economy. Fewer restrictions on layoffs could make it easier for Sony to leave loss-ridden traditional businesses and concentrate resources on more innovative, promising ones.

“I have a single wish for Japan’s electronics sector, and that’s labor reform,” said Atul Goyal, a technology analyst at Jefferies & Company.

Sony said it was not doing anything wrong in placing employees in what it calls Career Design Rooms. Employees are given counseling to find new jobs in the Sony group, or at another company, it said. Sony also said that it offered workers early retirement packages that are generous by American standards: in 2010, it promised severance payments equivalent to as much as 54 months of pay. But the real point of the rooms is to make employees feel forgotten and worthless — and eventually so bored and shamed that they just quit, critics say.

No wonder Sony won't shut down the TV divsion, not enough boredom rooms.

Gives another meaning to corporate welfare.

Heshinsi

Wow another reason the Japanese electronic giants can't really compete on an equal footing. I wonder how much they lose yearly on redundant and unfireable staff.

rawd

Both PS3 and 360 need significant pricedrops. Poorer families still can't afford them, and that's a big untapped market so far for those consoles.

If Sony want to make more profit on PS3s, they need to make it slimmer, cheaper and easier to produce.

ps3.jpg

The 22nm Cell is also going into the PS3 server clusters for PS Now, to ensure the lowest electrical cost and efficiency

Anand Shrimp-ring needs to get on that PS3 backlog

coldfoot

Banned

They can DEFINITELY compete with Samsung on mobile, their phones are close to stock Android and don't have S-Garbage for starters.

We can get a reasonably accurate guess. Last year they shipped 3.4M PS3 + PS2. The years prior were 1.9, 2.1, 2.2 for PS3 alone. So we can say the PS3 has probably averaged a touch over 2M shipped in the Jan-Mar quarter.

Now, this year they shipped 3.7M consoles including PS4. The PS4 is likely shipping about 1M per month. We're probably looking at PS3 <= 1M for the quarter. That's a big dropoff, and it's happening much more quickly than it did for PS2. I agree that it's still too expensive, but that's a problem with the design. It's never going to cost-reduce as well as the PS2 did, which is just one more way the project was a failure.

Also, this shipment number obfuscation Sony is pulling is some real bullshit. I wish someone would cal them out on it during an earnings call.

Well, for one, the fact that the PS3 has a harddrive automatically means that it will never be as cheap as the PS2.

Had no idea it was that ridiculous. Bizarre. It's basically a privately paid unemployment benefit...?

I guess it's a cultural and generational thing, as I can't imagine working in the same place for one's entire life.

I don't see TV growing but they don't have to sell as much Samsung/Apple to grow mobile .
There phone business has getting better last few years .

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sony's smartphones (Xperia) are doing better than those of you looking at it from an American perspective seem to believe, I think. They may not have much presence in America yet, but aren't they third globally? In Europe and Asia they're doing rather well, AFAIK.

And Sony expects another half billion loss for this year for restructuring... Makes me wish that Sony has done this much sooner. Here's hoping that their restructuring takes less time than expected.

At least their good divisions are performing well. The fact the company's performance as a whole is bogged down from trying to sell off its PC business and outsourcing its TV business is irritating. We would be seeing Sony posting profits otherwise.

True, but even the HDD-less 12GB is too expensive. I think the cell is really hurting their cost structure.

Sony managed to shrink the Cell, so perhaps a new model will make the PS3 more profitable. Also, I think the design of the super-slim turned a lot of people off and discouraged many people from buying it.

Sony's smartphones (Xperia) are doing better than those of you looking at it from an American perspective seem to believe, I think. They may not have much presence in America yet, but aren't they third globally? In Europe and Asia they're doing rather well, AFAIK.
Yeap, because they don't have deals with American carriers most people here tend to think their phone division is doing badly when they're actually very competitive in Europe and Asia.

Anth1888

Yeap, because they don't have deals with American carriers most people here tend to think their phone division is doing badly when they're actually very competitive in Europe and Asia.

Is the Z series gaining traction in the US? Just walking round a UK City centre today and most phone stores carry large Xperia Z2 posters. Seems to be doing pretty well over here.

Freeman

Banned

ps3.jpg

A nice PS3 revision with a price-drop appeals to me much more than a VitaTV. I would get another PS3 if that was the case.

Kysen

I don't see TV growing but they don't have to sell as much Samsung/Apple to grow mobile .
There phone business has getting better last few years .

They are just another Android manufacturer in a sea of them, without the insane marketing cash Samsung has.

AM-BC412_SONY2_NS_20140224033303.jpg

Way behind. Clearly dumping billions of $ will help them, just look at how Win phone is doing.

Top Bottom