• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors: Fi confirmed in Famitsu magazine

Nia

I love Fi, so I'm ecstatic that she is playable. Hyrule Warriors is doing everything right in my book.

mclem

They said in the treehouse stream that half the playable cast is female.

That implies, you know, half isn't.

Stop freaking out.

To be honest, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Half the playable cast of Assassin's Creed Unity is female, too.

Half the chromosomes are X, and the other half are Y.

Jagsrock

Banned
This is pretty cool. So I guess ghirahim is almost a shoe in then. Unrelated I really hope they make skull kid playable.

Neiteio

So Fi is playable, and Ghirahim will surely be playable in the dream mode, as well. The Imprisoned is a GREAT choice for a boss monster on the battlefield. Also nice of them to include SS Link and SS Zelda as alternate skins.

With all of this SS love, naturally they'll announce an SS item in the same update, right? Wrong! But the ball and chain from TP is an awesome weapon, so it's all good. :)

Hopefully the next update is OoT-centric, with Saria and Darunia, and the Megaton Hammer...

What character could they use from Wind Waker?
King of Red Lions
Salvatore
Tingle
Makar
Medli
Gonzo
Tetra
The mailmen
The Killer Bees

Any of the enemies for bosses (Helmaroc, Giant squid, etc)

Half the chromosomes are X, and the other half are Y.
That would be all men. You likely meant that 3/4 of chromosomes are X, and the remaining 1/4 Y, assuming there's no nondisjunction going on.

Neiteio

Thing with Wind Waker characters (and Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, etc) is they'd probably remake the characters with realistic proportions... or maybe say "screw it" and just keep their toon-like qualities with the mixed universe justification. Or perhaps they'll just skip those installments altogether. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Personally, from the Toon Link universe, I think the following would be cool:

- Tetra, from Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass
- Medli, from Wind Waker
- Byrne, from Spirit Tracks
- Vaati, from The Minish Cap (human form)

(I didn't list Tingle because he made his debut in MM)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do we really need a new topic for every different piece if information about this game? It seems to me that this should have been confined to a single topic covering everything about the game.

This is not how GAF works. We encourage people to create new threads for new news in order to broaden the reach of pieces of news. I recognize that this makes it harder to ignore news that you don't like. Them's the breaks. There are forums that take a more siloed approach; SomethingAwful is one, GameFAQs is another. I'm sure there are other options. This isn't me trying to drive you out, it's just saying that if on a fundamental level you disagree with how things are done, then there might be better options for you.

In the mean time, we also have rules against back-seat moderation and thread whining. In other words, if you have an issue with how something is being moderated, please contact a moderator. If your objection is that you don't like an idea of a thread, please just decline to participate and let moderators make a judgment call. In other words, please don't make the kind of posts you're making.

I thought that people would have a bit of compassion for those who may not want to know everything about a game before playing it. If this isn't the case, I'll just stick to the Steam thread. It does seem ridiculous that everything about a game needs to be posted to get as much attention as possible. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has tried to go on a media blackout before the release of a game.

The philosophy we're using for spoilers here is a pretty simple one. If a publisher is deliberately promoting an aspect of the game, we typically allow open discussion of that aspect of the game. We rely on the author of the creative work to decide what kind of priming is appropriate for users before the release of the game. It's simply not tenable for us to second-guess the magnitude of a given piece of information. Some people might only be bothered by plot spoilers, some not bothered at all, while others like yourself might be on total blackout. Some might not want to hear about games at all, and might want to first discover the game when they see it in a store. We can't accommodate everyone, so by allowing the author of the work to set reasonable boundaries themselves, we take care of most of the need to deliberate.

If someone had chosen to title this thread New Hyrule Warriors character confirmed in Famitsu magazine, we likely would not retitle it to name the character, but we're also not going to intervene to prohibit people from naming the character, because it's a part of the game's marketing process. It's not intended to be a surprise or a secret. It's intended to be a bullet point.

The thing is, the more appropriate question is not "how can I remake the world to suit my objective here", it's "how, given my objective, can I fit into the world that exists". Most people have compassion and do not want to deliberately bombard you with spoilers to ruin your experience--but the level of accommodation you're asking for is not that people avoid spoiling you directly, but that they modulate the kinds of discussions they have and the ways they have them to suit your needs. It's quite a big jump.

Finally, I'd add that the Steam thread won't save you. If a game you had interest in was on PC or Steam and news about that game was posted in the Steam thread, we would readily allow people to post headlines like this one without spoilers. I think the dynamic you're observing here is not that the Steam thread proceeds differently, but rather that you care about this game and want to avoid all information about it and thus you are sensitive to this thread. If, for example, there was a second playable character in Witcher 3, and that information was the subject of a promotional event or magazine article, I would expect that headline to be posted in the Steam thread.

I don't have a great suggestion for people who are extremely spoilerphobic to operate on GAF, or really anywhere online. If you read a TV review forum, there are going to be times where you get spoiled. Not necessarily from the overt John Rambo dies in episode 6 of America The TV Series type stuff, but from things like episode titles or contextual discussions. I mean, the existence of a character named Melisandre is not a Game of Thrones spoiler. What she does, how she does it, and what end if any she meets might be. We're not going to intervene in a case where someone posts "Melisandre's hair is crazy looking" and someone else says "I haven't gotten that far in the show, that's a spoiler, how dare you."

If your position is that you don't want to discuss anything you haven't personally vetted, the only possible answer is not to discuss anything at all or only take part in discussions where you initiate the topic of conversation. This Op-Ed by the Editor in Chief of the TV Section of The AV Club discusses some of the feelings I'm trying to express here. Note that the linked op-ed begins by spoiling an extremely minor detail of Breaking Bad in order to make a point about spoilerphobia. Immediately after spoiling it, it walks you through why the reaction to the spoiler in this case is worse than the actual spoiler. I hope you'll be able to read it and consider it in light of subsequent discussions about the nature of spoilers and the best framework to deal with them.

I hope this clarifies our moderation position on spoilers, backseat moderating and thread whining and that it's clear that we expect this line of discussion in the thread continues no further.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Ganondorf_Wind_Waker.png

WW Ganondorf though, and no other one. :p

WW Ganny is indeed the best, but with HW's style I would prefer a more realistic badass

Squishy3

So you'll likely be able to play as Ghirahim, then, since villains more often than not are always unlockable characters. At least in the franchise spinoff games like these, right? I remember being able to play as all the One Piece villains in Pirate Warriors.

Brizzo24

Any word on whether or not Hyrule Warriors will retail at full price? ($59.99)

I'm still very interested, but a price point of $39.99 would make it a day one purchase for me.

TreIII

So you'll likely be able to play as Ghirahim, then, since villains more often than not are always unlockable characters. At least in the franchise spinoff games like these, right? I remember being able to play as all the One Piece villains in Pirate Warriors.

At worst, I'm expecting the villains will be "Free Mode only" characters (meaning, they have no story of their own, but they have full-fledged movesets otherwise and can be used in any other mode in the game besides the main story). But I'm hoping the main reason they've kept Ganondorf so close to their chest is because maybe he'll be the head of a separate "Dark Side" version of the main campaign.

I mean, either Ganondorf is going to be in a decidedly different role this time around while he pals around with the Good Guys for whatever reason, or he's going to be more poignant when it comes to how all of the Bad Guys are grouped together. That's just how I see it.

mclem

What joke? They wouldn't be female, they'd be male. I was just correcting you. X chromosomes don't make a female.

Yes, and I was attempting to inject some humour through emphasising the misunderstanding to an absurd extent; offering the suggestion that games with an all-male cast (with the specific example given of Assassin's Creed: Unity) could claim to be "50% female" through mangling the science in such a fashion.

Neiteio

Well, I guess Navi is going to be playable character.
I doubt Navi will be a playable character, because Link already has a fairy (who may be Navi) serving as his "voice" during gameplay. Link's fairy appears in his text boxes and speaks for him, I.E. "Link, we have to help our allies on the northern bridge!"

this is most likely where all the playable male characters come from

Link seems to always have female allies and male villains so if half the playables are female the males half seemed to have already been confirmed

Brizzo24

Omega's highest rated game is the original Dynasty Warriors (according to allgame.com) and Dynasty Warriors 4 (according to GameRankings.com).

Pardon my ignorance, but...
  • What will make Hyrule Warriors better than the past entries in the series, certainly can't be merely a 'Zelda skin'?
  • Is Nintendo lending a huge helping hand in the development?
  • What was the major criticism for Omega in the past, and what are they doing to up their game?
All Game
GameRankings

Neiteio

So is Zelda wielding a new weapon? I can't tell from the miniscule scan...

Also, I'm happy to see Fi's excellent design in a game where we can appreciate it without annoying exposition/intrusive hints.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So is Zelda wielding a new weapon? I can't tell from the miniscule scan...

Also, I'm happy to see Fi's excellent design in a game where we can appreciate it without annoying exposition/intrusive hints.

It's a baton, apparently.

Omega's highest rated game is the original Dynasty Warriors (according to allgame.com) and Dynasty Warriors 4 (according to GameRankings.com).

• What will make Hyrule Warriors better than the past entries in the series, certainly can't be merely a 'Zelda skin'?
  • What was the major criticism for Omega in the past, and what are they doing to up their game?
All Game
GameRankings
...You've never played a DW game have you?

DW games tend to review poorly despite improving consistently with each iteration(DW6 aside). DW4 is actually one of the weaker entries. DW1 isn't even a musou. It's a 1 on 1 3D fighter.
Nintendo isn't assisting in development, Team Ninja is. I imagine all Nintendo does is provide final say on character designs/story.
Hyrule Warriors is just one of many games Omega Force is working on.

Typically the major criticism is that all of Omega's games are "easy & shallow button-mashers". This gets parroted by the major gaming websites because it's an easy out. Anyone who gives these games a fair shake will realize that there is depth and challenge to be found in building up characters, finding hidden weapons & items, and playing on the harder difficulties. The average DW game taking 50-80 hours to complete 100% certainly doesn't hurt either.

The reviews for Hyrule Warriors could go either way.
"Oh it's Zelda, 9/10" or "Oh it's Dynasty Warriors, 4/10"

Hey guys! The developers have said there are more female characters than male, but it's still a pretty even ratio. Ergo with 6 playable female characters (Zelda, Impa, Midna, Lana, Agitha, and Fi) we can deduce there's at least 11 characters with Link and 4 MALE characters to be revealed.

So this 9 playable characters talk needs to be informed, as well as the whole male characters thing. The're just front loading the female characters because of the current event issues and Nintendo leveraging a female-focused cast.

That's not to mention that in almost every Warriors game, nearly every side is playable, so while we're getting only the "Hero" side, we'll most likely get the Villains at some point as well.

Neiteio

I could've swore I was watching the Treehouse Live segment and the NOA guy localizing the game said there are -nearly- as many female characters as male. So in other words, just less than half of the roster is female.

Hey guys! The developers have said there are more female characters than male, but it's still a pretty even ratio. Ergo with 6 playable female characters (Zelda, Impa, Midna, Lana, Agitha, and Fi) we can deduce there's at least 11 characters with Link and 4 MALE characters to be revealed.

So this 9 playable characters talk needs to be informed, as well as the whole male characters thing. The're just front loading the female characters because of the current event issues and Nintendo leveraging a female-focused cast.

That's not to mention that in almost every Warriors game, nearly every side is playable, so while we're getting only the "Hero" side, we'll most likely get the Villains at some point as well.
What if the males are Zant, Ganondorf, Girahim, and Aragork?

What if the males are Zant, Ganondorf, Girahim, and Aragork?

Because you're forgetting the new villains of Cia, Valga, and Wizro, the three of which are likely playable. It'll even out the ratio so even if that's the case, there's one more female character.

random25

All Game
GameRankings

Based from the interviews and the Treehouse demos, Hyrule Warriors maintain the core elements of a DW game, but added some Zelda mechanics as well, like the targeting and adding strategies when beating bosses.

As for the development, I think Nintendo is more on supervision on this one. Bulk of the development is still on TK. I love Dynasty warriors games as they are, but from the looks of it it will be a more complex DW game because of some additional Zelda mechanics in the gameplay. So I guess I'm a little more optimistic for this game.

Top Bottom