• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Tomorrow's the next issue of Famitsu's weekly "Smash Brothers Dojo", right?

Wonder what we'll get? Unless Sakurai drops a veteran tonight, there's nothing really new they can cover...are they going to actually reveal stuff like new stages? A new veteran? Perhaps a refresher on Palutena, Mii, and Pac-Man?

Hell, the weekly Famitsu could be more exciting than the daily pic! Plus a new Zelda Hyrule Warriors character too!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Takamaru is unique because he's a samurai AND a ninja. He also wields magic. And his Famicon game had awesome music. And a pagoda silhouetted against the full moon with cherry blossoms raining down would be an amazing stage.

He's also one of the Famicon Four, along with Link, Samus and Pit. The gang must be reunited!

Yep, Event 41: Defeat Famicon Four Link, Samus, Pit and Takamaru.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Wonder what we'll get? Unless Sakurai drops a veteran tonight, there's nothing really new they can cover...are they going to actually reveal stuff like new stages? A new veteran? Perhaps a refresher on Palutena, Mii, and Pac-Man?

Hell, the weekly Famitsu could be more exciting than the daily pic! Plus a new Zelda Hyrule Warriors character too!

At least, there is something that I'm looking forward. HYrule Warrior Character and 2-4 characters information. I'm excited! :)

Heh, if it weren't for the "off-topic" tangents about Nintendo games represented in Smash, we'd still be on OT3.

That's really hyperbole comment.

-Horizon-

Takamaru is unique because he's a samurai AND a ninja. He also wields magic. And his Famicon game had awesome music. And a pagoda silhouetted against the full moon with cherry blossoms raining down would be an amazing stage.

He's also one of the Famicon Four, along with Link, Samus and Pit. The gang must be reunited!

So when you mentioned cherry blossom stage, I was reminded of that stage in Tatsunoko vs Capcom, a couple of google searches later, I get the name, check on youtube, suddenly I get this video:
Daigo Temple Cherry Blossom
Goku4smashconfirmed

GamerSoul

Takamaru has a lot of potential.

They should design Strikers alts for Zelda, Link, Marth and Pit to see what they would look like if they were playable characters in Strikers.

That is something I can see Sakurai doing if he had some free time. lol. I'm also picturing a Strikers inspired stage where the stage hazard is a goal net that randomly pop ups one one side of stage. There could also be a goalie who would try to block you from entering the net. hah

Neiteio

That's really hyperbole comment.
Of course it's an exaggeration, but it makes a legit point, one echoed by numerous other people here. Namely, much of the talk in these Smash threads is informed by love of the series each character represents. It's natural a good chunk of each OT has been spent this way.

random25

That 1986 guys were really something special, looking back. If only Takamaru got his own brand new game, the modernized Famicom Four would be complete.

Did he discuss Captain Falcon in the last issue? He could give more insight on Captain Falcon.

Neiteio

Imagine that for a moment!
Imagine what page we'd be on in this thread without the Fire Emblem off-topic discussions. ;-)

random25 said:
That 1986 guys were really something special, looking back. If only Takamaru got his own brand new game, the modernized Famicom Four would be complete.
I'm curious, has Takamaru ever received a trophy in Smash? He may very well be a complete blank slate for Sakurai to reinvent. Not that Pit's trophy in Melee ever stopped Sakurai from reinventing him for Brawl.

-Horizon-

Sakurai puts Takamaru in Smash. Couple of years later, announces a reboot of the IP under his direction, similar to what he did with Pit and the Kid Icarus IP.

Did he discuss Captain Falcon in the last issue? He could give more insight on Captain Falcon.

Sakurai talked about his thought process about picking Robin over Chrom. He also went over how Lucina transitioned from being a Marth alt to getting her own character slot. Nothing about Capt. Falcon as far as I know.

Glass Rebel

I'm curious, has Takamaru ever received a trophy in Smash? He may very well be a complete blank slate for Sakurai to reinvent. Not that Pit's trophy in Melee ever stopped Sakurai from reinventing him for Brawl.

Only a sticker in Brawl. He was in Captain Rainbow though!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What time does Famitsu usually pop up anyway?

Tomorrow or Wednesday

Takamaru has a lot of potential.

He does but maybe next game.

Of course it's an exaggeration, but it makes a legit point, one echoed by numerous other people here. Namely, much of the talk in these Smash threads is informed by love of the series each character represents. It's natural a good chunk of each OT has been spent this way.

I understand your point but if I want to make a realistic assumption then I would say OT9. Give it or Take, MAYBE OT8. I guess I'm too serious when it come to the facts. :p

Yes, he did.

Watch Da Birdie

I always thought Takamaru would be cool as a stance character.

Sheathed sword, and drawn sword. Former is more ninja-like and far-range, second is more samurai and close-range, as in his game he switched between his sword and shurikens depending on how close he was to the foe.

Yeah, Famitsu basically fully covered Robin, Lucina, and Falcon...in more detail than Sakurai has.

Neiteio

...what about Ice Climbers? :/
Aside from coming out the same year, I think the Famicon Four are grouped as such because Zelda and Takamaru looked similar (even if they played different), and so too with Kid Icarus and Metroid. They were four action-adventures that sent their respective characters on epic quests.

DaBoss

...what about Ice Climbers? :/
Ice Climber is a shit game and makes me hate Ice Climbers in Smash. It doesn't deserve to be mentioned among those legendary games.

I've recently started NES Remix and am nearly done everything (rainbow stars) and Ice Climber has to be the worst game in it.

Azure J

What's so appealing about Takamaru? He looks so generic. Granted, Sakurai could give him the Pit treatment and completely redesign him. But I just don't see how he can fit in Smash.

I feel like I've definitely done this a few times already so I'll bullet point this one and hope for the best:

- Smash has only traditionally had two types of sword fighter despite common rallying cries that the series doesn't want/need any more. There's the sword and shield/knight variety represented by Link/Toon Link and the "inspired by European fencing style" represented by Marth/Roy/Lucina (now). There have also been weird hybridization with Pit who uses the closest things to knives in the series and Robin now, but both use their weapon as supplements rather than defining characteristics of their fighting style (Robin is way more magic oriented than sword oriented and Pit is a jack of all trades whose gimmicks revolve around a fully controllable arcing projectile and maneuverability because wings). Also Ike, but he uses his like a club versus having any specific finesse with it.

Even with the inclusion of things like the Mii Swordfighter and Greninja, you can see that the focus is either more in medieval broadsword style combat + over the top goofiness for the former or one or two cosmetics for attacks in the latter.

- The sword draw and sheathe style of fighting is a niche that has yet to be capitalized on and with Lyn eternally tenured as an Assist Trophy, Takamaru is the best, if not only, character in Nintendo's stable that is able to take that mantle and run with it by virtue of being Nintendo's oldest samurai protagonist and a character with some decent Nintendo history behind himself (see below). What's more, Takamaru also brings with him numerous other toys in the form of Will-O-Wisp fireballs that explode on contact, the ability to call down screen clearing lightning, the ability to turn intangible/invisible, varied throwing knives/stars, projectile deflection with his sword, and of course his agility and twitch based gameplay. All of these aren't even stretches of what he was capable of doing, each of these abilities and subtleties were born with the character in the 1986 (yes it's that old) Famicom game. Murasame Castle was pretty much one of the progenitors of the modern stylish or twitch action/combat genre.

- Takamaru's inclusion in the roster creates a very interesting "completion" of franchises and characters that were all born in the same early era of Nintendo (The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, The Mysterious Murasame Castle and Kid Icarus in 1986) as a result of playing with the game design and engines of Zelda and Metroid. Murasame Castle is to Zelda as Kid Icarus is to Metroid in short.

- I am a hopelessly anime person and love the distinct visual flavor of katana drawing and sheathing fighting styles. :lol

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, Sakurai had to choose Kid Icarus Reboot or Star Fox "reboot" or just new game. He chose Kid Icarus over Star Fox which is very smart move, so now Miyamoto is working on Star Fox Wii U.

So It's plausible that Sakurai could add Takamaru in the game, and decided to taking over Takamaru Reboot project unless Kamiya and Platinum Game studio want to take over the project.

Neiteio

Here's a twist:

Takamaru is unveiled...

...but in an unprecedented move, Sakurai relinquished design duties on him and let guest director Hideki Kamiya design his move-set. :-O

(As if Sakurai would ever relax his iron-fisted control of these games, lol)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I always thought Takamaru would be cool as a stance character.

Sheathed sword, and drawn sword. Former is more ninja-like and far-range, second is more samurai and close-range, as in his game he switched between his sword and shurikens depending on how close he was to the foe.

Yeah, Famitsu basically fully covered Robin, Lucina, and Falcon...in more detail than Sakurai has.

I think Sakurai provided the informations to Famitsu. Did you know that Sakurai had his own column in Famitsu?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Here's a twist:

Takamaru is unveiled...

...but in an unprecedented move, Sakurai relinquished design duties on him and let guest director Hideki Kamiya design his move-set. :-O

(As if Sakurai would ever relax his iron-fisted control of these games, lol)

Do you really want to hurt us like that? If Kamiya design the moveset, then we might get a broken character like Raiden in PASBR. :p

Neiteio

Do you really want to hurt us like that? If Kamiya design the moveset, then we might get a broken character like Raiden in PASBR. :p
I don't actually think it's a good idea, ha. :) Sakurai does such an amazing job with each character, I wouldn't want anyone else to do it.

I feel like I've definitely done this a few times already so I'll bullet point this one and hope for the best:

- Smash has only traditionally had two types of sword fighter despite common rallying cries that the series doesn't want/need any more. There's the sword and shield/knight variety represented by Link/Toon Link and the "inspired by European fencing style" represented by Marth/Roy/Lucina (now). There have also been weird hybridization with Pit who uses the closest things to knives in the series and Robin now, but both use their weapon as supplements rather than defining characteristics of their fighting style (Robin is way more magic oriented than sword oriented and Pit is a jack of all trades whose gimmicks revolve around a fully controllable arcing projectile and maneuverability because wings). Also Ike, but he uses his like a club versus having any specific finesse with it.

Even with the inclusion of things like the Mii Swordfighter and Greninja, you can see that the focus is either more in medieval broadsword style combat + over the top goofiness for the former or one or two cosmetics for attacks in the latter.

- The sword draw and sheathe style of fighting is a niche that has yet to be capitalized on and with Lyn eternally tenured as an Assist Trophy, Takamaru is the best, if not only, character in Nintendo's stable that is able to take that mantle and run with it by virtue of being Nintendo's oldest samurai protagonist and a character with some decent Nintendo history behind himself (see below). What's more, Takamaru also brings with him numerous other toys in the form of Will-O-Wisp fireballs that explode on contact, the ability to call down screen clearing lightning, the ability to turn intangible/invisible, varied throwing knives/stars, projectile deflection with his sword, and of course his agility and twitch based gameplay which was a trait established as far back as the release of the 1986 Famicom game.

- Takamaru's inclusion in the roster creates a very interesting "completion" of franchises and characters that were all born in the same early era of Nintendo (The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, The Mysterious Murasame Castle and Kid Icarus in 1986) as a result of playing with the game design and engines of Zelda and Metroid. Murasame Castle is to Zelda as Kid Icarus is to Metroid in short.

- I am a hopelessly anime person and love the distinct visual flavor of katana drawing and sheathing fighting styles. :lol
Just giving this amazing post extra exposure.

Aside from coming out the same year, I think the Famicon Four are grouped as such because Zelda and Takamaru looked similar (even if they played different), and so too with Kid Icarus and Metroid. They were four action-adventures that sent their respective characters on epic quests.

Ah, gotcha. Sometimes I feel like Takamaru won't happen just because we're expecting him to happen. Look at Chrom, for instance.

random25

Imagine what page we'd be on in this thread without the Fire Emblem off-topic discussions. ;-)

He was in Brawl as a sticker. He was in Samurai Warriors 3 I think, so he has a 3D look.

Sakurai puts Takamaru in Smash. Couple of years later, announces a reboot of the IP under his direction, similar to what he did with Pit and the Kid Icarus IP.

Kind of what I think as well. Maybe he'll get a reboot if ever Takamaru got in Smash as a playable character.

Neiteio

Ah, gotcha. Sometimes I feel like Takamaru won't happen just because we're expecting him to happen. Look at Chrom, for instance.
I don't expect him. I think he totally deserves to be in and would make a great character, and I definitely think he could happen, but I don't expect anyone but Shulk and a Rhythm Heaven character at this point.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Where did the Takamaru thing come from? I feel like that's something the internet just decided could happen haha, more power to you!

NintendoLand just sparked Takamaru's inclusion. I meant he have really nice icon that feel like smash-ish vibe.
XgI4D2f.png

Ir4QBPe.png

Neiteio

*feels tempted to go on long tangent about how much he loves Nintendo Land and the Takamaru attraction in particular, but decides to spare Heath a headache and stay on topic*

-Horizon-

Well naruto abridged wasn't that great in the first place. And then it got worse, and they they stopped, and then one of the guys who did it the vegeta one stopped abridging because of real life. I hear the one that is left is trying to restart that though , if you are interested in that.
It was ok enough in the beginning that I just kept watching.

Kind of what I think as well. Maybe he'll get a reboot if ever Takamaru got in Smash as a playable character.
An action game with Sakurai will certainly be cool. There is definitely a lot of room for him to make it his own thing like Kid Icarus.

Where did the Takamaru thing come from? I feel like that's something the internet just decided could happen haha, more power to you!
Someone said that Sakurai was thinking of putting him during the Brawl years but he didn't have any recent games that he was in during that time.

Watch Da Birdie

I was always hoping the original Smash 4 trailer would've revealed Little Mac and Takamaru together and play up an West. vs. East NES rivalry.

Neiteio

Refresh my memory, was Takamaru's Ninja Castle shown at E3 2012? I know the throwing star prototype was shown at E3 2011, and back then it was generic with no IP attached.

The reason I ask is that Sakurai probably started working on the roster around the spring or summer of 2012, after Kid Icarus Uprising (but I acknowledge he could've been drafting up plans on a napkin during KIU's development!). So, the Nintendo Land attraction may have been informed by Takamaru's inclusion in Smash, or conversely, the Nintendo Land game could've helped add him to the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom