• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

via Reddit: verified Sony Employee provides info on DLNA, MP3, PSNow,

ethomaz

Banned
Eh... October is "early" according to Sony. So that basically means no DLNA on the PS4 until at least summer of 2015.

I'm simply not buying a PS4 until these features are delivered with the addition of 5GHz Wifi.
5GHz WiFi needs a new hardware revision but I don't see any advantage for online gaming or even download things between 5Ghz WiFi and the 2.4Ghz WiFi.

It is only the different frequency... 2.4Ghz have some advantages over 5Ghz to be fair like range or objects penetration (2.4Ghz signal woks better over walls).

For home with a lot of objects/wall 2.4Ghz is the best choice yet.

Edit - A good article: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/5ghz-gear.htm

Always worth grabbing screenshots...

sddK3Po.png

OoCdh0o.png

Can someone with a reddit account ask him if/when we can expect pause downloading.

Brofield

Subscription service would be nice, but right now it's looking like they are going with a rental model.

Ahh, okay. Rental is kinda shitty, but I'd like to think I'll live if the pricepoint is decent. Guess I'll have to see this rental model confirmed before I should jump in on getting a cheap PS3.

Their firmware team sucks, one of the reasons why I sold my Sony phone. Buggy and hugely delayed. The system was designed by an American. Might as well go the whole way and outsource the firmware as well. Creating an MP3 player is trivial with all the publicly available libraries. So is any form of disk management. No excuse.

Really ? did you have one of those old phones that crashed as much as a Galaxy ?

I have an Xperia Z1 and it's probably the best phone i've ever owned, updates do take time but the phone is solid and functions solid... and i owned a Galaxy S4, iPhone...

Bottom line, i agree some updates do take time but it's not like Microsoft are doing way better software wise... I still think the PS4 OS is the best OS right now. It's fast, simple and effective.

rezn0r

I should've assumed it but I was really hoping everything bought on PS3/PSN was coming with PS Now... maybe I can just hope for more Dead Nation & Flower style cross-buy ports... and PSX support... ugh.

I kept my PS3 and it's in great condition so it's not a huge deal, just would've been nice.

Even assuming that your made up stats are correct, the ROI comes in the form of new customers who will buy the hardware to use as an all-in-one media device.

New customers who will buy hardware sold at a loss so they can access media from zero-revenue sources? I bet it would.

Seriously, who buys a console based on the presence or lack of DNLA? Sure, it looks bad if your competitor has it and you don't, and you may lose somewhat of an edge there, but considering neither are offering it, they're in absolutely no hurry to provide it. PS4's are flying off the shelves as is. In the grand scheme of things, the weight of DNLA is negligible and you can bet that their ultimate master plan is to make it disappear from the face of the earth by slowly accustoming users to living without it and defaulting to their paid services instead.

PSNow would be impossible for Sony if they'd everyone play PS3 games for free, if they have them already. PSNow servers cost money, how should they pay for them if everyone uses this service for free most of the time?
If you think a bit about it, it should have been expected.

A discount, though, would be helpful and the "right move."

wrowa

Okay, then. I wonder if Sony will offer the option to upgrade for a reduced price, if you already own the original game on PS3's PSN. Similar to how Nintendo still charges an upgrade fee for VC games on Wii U. I think paying for the new infrastructure, while not having to pay the full price for a game you already bought once, would be fair for both sides.

sono

At last some info on these topics.

DLNA is top of my wish list of those items.

but

*where* is my youtube app yo

Didn't it take Sony almost 3 years to add DLNA to ps3? So technically we will get the feature faster this time around on ps4. Sony is getting better :) #4theplayers

Dipz

Banned
I hope these aren't half assed MP3 and video players. Someone should ask him if they will support MKV files and if we'll have PS4 acceleration for better PQ/AQ, support for custom aspect ratios, and what the hell is going on with Suspend / Resume.
With MKV files I will make a bold prediction and say never.

When it comes to some of these things (like native DLNA and 3D Blu-Ray support), I basically think that if both companies are implementing them around the same time, then it's obviously not an issue with their OS teams, but something external to them that they're waiting on (for example, I think jeff rigby has been posting for a while about a DLNA implementation that's set to be brought out near the end of this year). Stuff like the Youtube app, though, is just a matter of Microsoft having better software/OS engineers than Sony (which makes sense, seeing as Sony is a hardware company and MS is a software company).

"The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is a nonprofit collaborative trade organization established by Sony in June 2003, that is responsible for defining interoperability guidelines to enable sharing of digital media between multimedia devices."-Wikipedia lol

Really shocked at how poorly Sony has handled firmware improvements.

I am too, and I love my PS4 and many of the things Sony has done with this new generation, but the firmware updates, or lake of updates, has been a big let down.

However, I am happy to see SOMEONE, anyone, from Sony at least give us some type of update on upcoming features. I just wish they would release this information in some type of an "official" announcement, instead of someone on reddit.

early 2015 seems in line with DLNA 2.0 certification requirements

That does make a bit of sense!!

At last some info on these topics.

DLNA is top of my wish list of those items.

but

*where* is my youtube app yo

Last time I saw this posted, I had the same concern. And then youtube.tv was pointed out to me accessed through the ps4s Web browser.

Works the same as the ps3 app, but just has a wonky cursor controller hybrid interface.

Nzyme32

Hang on...

Are "PS3 entitlements" meant to mean games you own digitally on PS3 and that those games if on PS Now are not accessible even though you already own them? If that's true that is just ludicrous. PS1 and 2 and retail PS3 games, I can understand as ownership could be hard to define, but digital on PS3 is pretty much tied to the account. Hope that's wrong

Yeah, I think a lot of people agree with. Unfortunately, it just doesn't make business sense for Sony to transfer entitlements to PS Now. Streaming games costs them money.

ah well fair enough I suppose. Perhaps a subscription to have access to the games you already own at least? Makes previous investments seem a bit empty to me.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Sony is/has dropped the ball on firmware updates already this generation. Their communication is pathetic at best.

Get that update team out of Japan!!

riotous

Banned
Game streaming is the single most expensive server based consumer service ever imagined.

It's exponentially more expensive to run something like OnLive than it is say, Netflix (per user.)

You have all of the expense of a streaming video service + on the fly video encoding + most importantly the CPU/GPU power to render the game. Not to mention you can't centralize your servers without causing latency issues for anyone too far away so you have to disperse way more servers than something like Netflix that can just add tiny amounts of extra buffering time to far away users.

I don't care who in the industry claims it's "the future" I think that's nonsense. The business case for it is hard to fathom.

The tech is cool but incredibly ironic at this point considering PS4 can out-render anything currently planned for OnLive.

mattp

the fact that suspend/resume isnt mentioned in there is fucking FRUSTRATING

god dammit fuck media playback. suspend should be #1 priority

Dragon

Banned
Figured PS now was gonna be like that, and I had saints row 2 , uncharted 2 and hot shots golf on my account

Not even a discount like Nintendo does, oh sony :(

At lease I played space age for free from ps now a few weeks back

Uh Nintendo doesn't have a streaming service at all, this isn't applicable. And Nintendo charges money for games to go from Wii to WiiU something Sony has not done when buying PS1 games that work on PS3/PSP/PSV.

Game streaming is the single most expensive server based consumer service ever imagined.

It's exponentially more expensive to run something like OnLive than it is say, Netflix (per user.)

You have all of the expense of a streaming video service + on the fly video encoding + most importantly the CPU/GPU power to render the game. Not to mention you can't centralize your servers without causing latency issues for anyone too far away so you have to disperse way more servers than something like Netflix that can just add tiny amounts of extra buffering time to far away users.

I don't care who in the industry claims it's "the future" I think that's nonsense. The business case for it is hard to fathom.

The tech is cool but incredibly ironic at this point considering PS4 can out-render anything currently planned for OnLive.

It's hard to fathom that the business case is getting Playstation games on hardware that currently can't play them? Playing PS3 games on my iPad with a DS3 or DS4 attached is hard to fathom? Potato please.

IconGrist

I never really saw PSNow being for the hardcore gamer. I always saw the concept as an easy way to get into PlayStation for people who are interested in gaming without actually having to buy a console or commit to full on buying a game. Maybe because they just don't have the time or the space in their media center. Something along those lines.

Guymelef

the fact that suspend/resume isnt mentioned in there is fucking FRUSTRATING

god dammit fuck media playback. suspend should be #1 priority

Thread tittle. "Whatever happened to that DLNA/MP3 support that was supposed to be coming 'soon'"
Why should they talk about everything coming in next firmwares?

Frolow

Banned
Uh Nintendo doesn't have a streaming service at all, this isn't applicable. And Nintendo charges money for games to go from Wii to WiiU something Sony has not done when buying PS1 games that work on PS3/PSP/PSV.

It's hard to fathom that the business case is getting Playstation games on hardware that currently can't play them? Playing PS3 games on my iPad with a DS3 or DS4 attached is hard to fathom? Potato please.

Nintendo doesn't charge you to access your old Virtual Console/WiiWare games on your Wii U. The thing they charge for is upgrading them to the Wii U versions, which support thing like the Gamepad and savestates.

No cross-buy between the 3DS and Wii U sucks though.

sörine

Banned
No, you can transfer and play all WiiWare and Virtual Console from Wii to Wii U for free. The upgrade fee is for the native Wii U versions of VC games and it's only $1 to $1.50.

Also PSV versions of PS1 Classics aren't native emulated, they're actually running under PSP emulation so it's more like the backwards compatibility that Wii U already offers for free. The one thing Nintendo doesn't offer versus Sony (and they really should) is console/handheld crossbuy.

Not being able to stream games I already own for free doesn't bother me, because I wouldn't want to stream them in the first place. I already own the games on PS3.

I've mainly used PSNow for games I've never owned or played, and I'll continue to use it for that.

As for the other features that won't be coming until later? I can wait. Tons of games coming to Sony platforms that I want to keep me preoccupied until then.

Popetita

Banned
This totally sucks, at least regarding PSNow. I guess I will stick, or even buy a spare, PS3 for all I know.

I already have like 15+ PS1 games and a couple of PS2 on it for which I will not pay a single cent to Sony again.

Ps Now sounds less and less appealing everyday :(

Oersted

Complaining about not applicable and then such a comparison^^.

WiiU can play Wii eshop-Games. PS4 can not play your PS3 downloadgames. For those who wished to do so, Sony promised:

Even though PS3 disc-based games and digital downloads aren’t compatible with the PlayStation 4, owners will have the opportunity to play their games via the cloud service through Gaikai technology and even at some point, the possibility of emulation.

Some hoped atleast for a discount, not just "buy again".

Top Bottom