• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

I'm excited i never played the remake on the game cube, i think it's somewhat amusing that they're not pumping out 7 but going back to the past. But i'm still going to support it, i'd love them to remake RE 2 and RE 3.

Mr_Zombie

Everyone is too busy crying and bitching about visuals to be worried about having the best Resident Evil coming to almost every modern platform.

Seriously. Everyone asked Capcom to release REmake on platforms other than just GameCube (and Wii). And now when they are releasing it, people bitch and cry that backgrounds will probably not be rerendered in HD (what if... they simply can't do that because they don't have those assets anymore?) or that the game won't run in 60fps (after all those fuckups with 60fps mode in RE4 UHD PC I can understand why companies don't want to force old games designed for 30fps to run in 60fps).

Whatever. The best RE game playable on PC without emulation? I'll be there day one.

Xater

Really?

BuRFNDLIAAA_iYZ.jpg:large

So the 2-3 3D objects on screen will look better while the rest does not. Wow so much effort! So remaster!

King_Moc

Banned
The irony is the Wii U actually has an output option which wouldn't look like complete garbage (assuming it's right that the environments are are still in 640x480).

Also, are they ever remaking RE2? It's far and away the best one.

Guys, you're wrong about the Pan & Scan thing. When playing in widescreen mode, the screen will follow your movements automatically, i.e. the top and bottom parts will scroll into view when you move in the corresponding direction. So it's actually very similar to the technique used in RE Zero.

gelf

I think it would look better with no filter at all on the backgrounds. They look better then that in Dolphin.

I can understand the 30fps though. Its not a question of power. The backgrounds that used fmv probably need to be at 30fps. REmake is a slow paced game anyway it doesn't need 60fps.

This port demonstrates what I've said all along though. Short of remaking it from scratch a 3rd time it was always going to be a problematic port with the fixed res backgrounds. I thought that was why it never happened until now but I guess Capcom decided fuck it lets do it anyway.

The best thing about this is it'll be on PC and thus more preserved and hopefully will get modded to at least fix those backgrounds.

Nerokis

on one hand, this is a remaster of a remake that is about 2% as ambitious as was the remake, and chances are the seemingly bare minimum effort put into this will result in something awkward in comparison to the original experience on original hardware

on the other, glad to see REmake in the spotlight again, and accessible on a broader range of consoles and PC, plus I imagine some of the graphical tweaks and additional options will be appealing to a lot of people

all in all, glad this is a thing, but Capcom continues to not impress

Guys, you're wrong about the Pan & Scan thing. When playing in widescreen mode, the screen will follow your movements automatically, i.e. the top and bottom parts will scroll into view when you move in the corresponding direction. So it's actually very similar to the technique used in RE Zero.

4:3 shows the full picture.

16:9 zooms in, crops the full picture and reveals parts of it as you move around.

Capcom should have just left the aspect ratio at 4:3 and nothing else.

UrbanRats

So my questions would be:

• Are the backgrounds re-rendered, or is it some shitty sharpening or the like?
  • Are they going to have 16:9 aspect ratio? And if yes, through some weird cropping, or by re-rendering/reframing every scene?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Will we really go this way again? Why are we always having the same screen comparisons and then the difference is more than clear when we see it on our own TVs?

And what have I missed? Why is this called a rehash? The PR statement clearly says the games are gonna be rendered in 1080p.

That said: Fuggin REmake on PS. A dream come true. Day 1 for me.

Dolphin:

dolphin-remakesvkub.jpg

HD Remaster:

hd-remakeg3unt.jpg

I can't spot the depth of field effect or Jill's shadow in this screenshot. But maybe it's just a poor quality screenshot.

Gonna buy it, and I encourage all of you to do the same, if only just to send a message to Capcom. REmake has never been a huge commercial success.

Seriously. Everyone asked Capcom to release REmake on platforms other than just GameCube (and Wii). And now when they are releasing it, people bitch and cry that backgrounds will probably not be rerendered in HD (what if... they simply can't do that because they don't have those assets anymore?) or that the game won't run in 60fps (after all those fuckups with 60fps mode in RE4 UHD PC I can understand why companies don't want to force old games designed for 30fps to run in 60fps).

Whatever. The best RE game playable on PC without emulation? I'll be there day one.

If they can't properly remaster the game don't release it for 40 bucks and call it a remaster. release it for 10 and make it clear to buyers that it is just upscaled. This is literally Capcom being scummy.

olimpia84

This is one of my favorite games of all times so I was jumping with excitement, until I saw those screenshots....man Capcom why can't you give this game a proper treatment? :(
Regardless, will buy this for PS4

dock

The widescreen adjustments look like they could work out as a problem, especially in the narrow vertical corridors that rely on visibility at the top and bottom of the screen. I hope they can increase the FOV of those shots. .

It should do fine due to the number of platforms it is coming out on but knowing capcom they would probably want 5 million sales or something.

Yeah, that's my only worry. Im certain someone at Capcom want Call of Duty numbers. I also wouldn't be surprised if Chris could run and gun, have duel wielded rocket launchers, and infinite grenades.

Xater

For the amount of money they are asking for in Japan they could just render new backgrounds if they don#t have the old assets. You know put effort into this.

Dolphin:

dolphin-remakeu5u1s.jpg

HD Remaster:

hd-remakeg3unt.jpg

I can't spot the depth of field effect or Jill's shadow in this screenshot. But maybe it's just a poor quality screenshot.

Gonna buy it, and I encourage all of you to do the same, if only just to send a message to Capcom. REmake has never been a huge commercial success.

Looks like the HD version has cropped the original image a bit...so you get less detail from the top than you did originally.

Dolphin:

dolphin-remakeu5u1s.jpg

HD Remaster:

hd-remakeg3unt.jpg

Oil painting:
Brush size 10
Coarseness 15
Sharpen 100%

Yup, this sure is a remaster.
Oh wait, don't forget to crush the blacks!
Yeah, it sends the message that we'll eat the shit straight from the ass. DON'T buy this because it will make Capcom think it is okay to put the least amount of effort into something and then call it something it isn't.

16:9 zooms in, crops the full picture and reveals parts of it as you move around.

Well, yeah, that's exactly what I said. I got the impression that a lot of you guys assumed they'd just crop the image and be done with it.

Personally, I think the way they're doing it now is absolutely fine. I don't get why people complain about having OPTIONS.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oil painting:
Brush size 10
Coarseness 15
Sharpen 100%

Yup, this sure is a remaster.
Oh wait, don't forget to crush the blacks!

Yeah, it sends the message that we'll eat the shit straight from the ass. DON'T buy this because it will make Capcom think it is okay to put the least amount of effort into something and then call it something it isn't.

To be fair that message was already received due to Resident Evil 4 HD. Luckily the team behind the PC version saw it fit to fix the game (adding the shaders from the GCN version among other things)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
All if you losing the hype are nuts. This is a great game regardless of the FMV background resolution.

Nibel

Dolphin:

dolphin-remakesvkub.jpg

HD Remaster:

hd-remakeg3unt.jpg

How didn't the 'artist' responsible for this notice that a huge amount of details are lost because of added shadowing? Also, the picture looks like a bad compressed JPEG due the sharpening; this doesn't look great at all.

Shredderi

I was so excited when I read the title because for some reason I didn't realise that this was about the gamecube REmake. In my little stupid head I was already thinking about "could it be....REmake 2?" etc. Then I accepted that it would be a remaster of the REmake and then I read further and saw pics and yeah... Propably not buying this.

Freeman

Banned
Best news I could hope for, Capcom isn't completely ashamed of it like it seamed. Hopefully everyone will see what a RE game is supposed to be.

My day will be better because of this news. PS4, Day 1. This one deserved a boxed release.

Floex

What? You're happy to support this when it clearly looks like minimal effort is being put in? No, I will not be supporting this.

4:3 shows the full picture.

Capcom should have just left the aspect ratio at 4:3 and nothing else.

They are not taking away 4:3 though. If you want to rock the 4:3 then do so. Having the option to do 16:9 is a good thing for some.

epmode

The widescreen adjustments look like they could work out as a problem, especially in the narrow vertical corridors that rely on visibility at the top and bottom of the screen. I hope they can increase the FOV of those shots. .

They'd have to have full access to the original assets and they'd have to take the time to adjust the frame accordingly. Seems unlikely to me.

I'm just happy to finally play the game even if I have to use 4:3 for the best look. Similarly, I can deal with a 30 FPS lock since the pre-rendered stuff was produced at that framerate.

Top Bottom