• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge demo coming Oct 30 PSN/Oct 31 XboxLive

cant wait for my exclusive dlc costume of faith...... :facepalm:

any pm with the best way to get up the stairs. i dont wanna preoorder and end up having both L4D and ME at the same time, so i cant see the speed run ghosts. i usually wall run up the first set then jump the second and then wall rebound off the third to get to the railing.

ckohler

I really liked the demo but why does DICE have a hard-on for the left-bumper on my 360 controller?! Seriously, it's like the primary button. The left bumper... really? I don't think I even pressed the A button once in the whole demo.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mirror's Edge and its lighting solution:

http://www.illuminatelabs.com/gallery/mirror-s-edge

Some more links:

http://www.illuminatelabs.com/products/beast

Beast
Images
Beast is a game engine-independent content pipeline tool used for advanced global illumination and dynamic relighting of characters.
Why game developers love Beast:

* Enhances the visual quality of your game. Get the artistic results you want with advanced global illumination, giving your game more realistic lighting effects.

Courtesy of EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment Courtesy of EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment Courtesy of EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment

Beast is used to bake light maps, shadow maps and point clouds with advanced global illumination.
o Color bounces and colored shadows from transparent objects.
o Natural looking shadows affected by light bounces.
o Soft shadows from point lights, directional lights and area lights.
o Create light from a HDR environment giving natural lighting in the entire scene without adding a single light source.
o Dynamically relight objects and characters using light probes precalculated by Beast. Lighting of characters and other dynamic objects is affected by emissive objects and light bouncing off other objects.
Read more
* Boosts productivity and reduces the effort needed to create stunning art. Let your artists concentrate on how they want the game to look rather than spending countless hours trying to achieve it. Beast gives your artists an easy workflow while still allowing them full control over the end result.

Colored shadows, color bounces and natural looking shadows Lighting from HDR environments creates natural lighting with little effort Emissive materials automatically contribute to the lighting

Moving light sources and objects around in a scene affects the lighting without any need to add or adjust bounce lights or other workarounds needed to "fake" global illumination. Emissive materials and transparent objects contribute to the lighting without any extra work. Get natural looking lighting using image based lighting from HDR environments.
* Reduces cost, risk and time-to-market. Beast is used in a number of different AAA titles to ensure that the visual quality bar is met on time every time. No matter what game engine you are using, Beast will help you get better results with less effort.

Illuminate Labs is a member of Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 Integrated Partners program and Beast is fully integrated with the Unreal Editor. More information is available on our Unreal Engine integration page.

Beast has also been successfully integrated with Gamebryo as well as several in-house game engines.

http://www.illuminatelabs.com/products/beast/features
http://www.illuminatelabs.com/products/beast/technical-specifications

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
hmm I'd really like to try time trial
Anyone have anan extra code?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Always-honest said:
sorry but i asked someone a question and you gave me an answer i didn't understand.

You asked the other poster if he even knew what AA was when he made the comment about either MSAA or good AA... I thought you meant to say that they were one and the same and thus I made my comment about why I do not think they are and gave you a link with some nice diagrams about it.

Panajev2001a said:
You asked the other poster if he even knew what AA was when he made the comment about either MSAA or good AA... I thought you meant to say that they were one and the same and thus I made my comment about why I do not think they are and gave you a link with some nice diagrams about it.
i asked him if he knew what jaggies are. not what AA was :p
he said there were zero jaggies in the 360 version.

Soo... has anyone managed to take down those four enemies at the start rather than run from them? I've tried so many times and only managed three of them. :(

StuBurns

Banned
Psychotext said:
Soo... has anyone managed to take down those four enemies at the start rather than run from them? I've tried so many times and only managed three of them. :(
I've tried twice and no such luck so far. I'm convinced it can be done. It's best to let them come outside I think, wait behind the door and attack the first one when he comes thru the door, try shooting the others.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
stuburns said:
She doesn't even have real hair. It's like a hat.

and yet, it looks great. better then the models in most every other game IMO.

Peru

ckohler said:
I really liked the demo but why does DICE have a hard-on for the left-bumper on my 360 controller?! Seriously, it's like the primary button. The left bumper... really? I don't think I even pressed the A button once in the whole demo.

The face buttons won't be used, it's a deliberate choice from Dice because you need full control over the sticks at all times.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm trying to race the first place ghost on playground and wtf! He's like leaping across the pipe you have to walk across.

How do you do that?

jaaz

op_ivy said:
and yet, it looks great. better then the models in most every other game IMO.

What? :lol

I could name at least 5 games with better character models, but I'll just name one: MGS4

Slizz

has anyone one beaten the first place time on any of these trials???? theres like techniques that they havent told us being used...those bastards....if i gotta put a code in at least lemme kno what other techniques there are even if there strictly for the 2 time trial levels

op_ivy said:
wha?

mirrors-edge-20081003022943971_640w.jpg

looks quite amazing to me. there is a scene during the tutorial where celeste looks a little odd due to the self-shadowing technique and how her face is shaded, but aside from that the details look great and i think the modeling is spot on. the enemies dont seem to have as much attention to detial though.

And the way she moved was very fluid and lifelike. Needs a bit of boob jiggle to be more realistic, though.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
CosmicGroinPull said:
And the way she moved was very fluid and lifelike.

It does look a bit weird when she does the wall running bit in the tutorial and jumps off the wall (something about the way her feet make contact with surfaces, but it is a really minor animation issue, especially considering how hard to solve this problem seems to be).

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
CosmicGroinPull said:
And the way she moved was very fluid and lifelike. Needs a bit of boob jiggle to be more realistic, though.

i'm sure she has a fantastic sports bra on to hold 'em in during all that wall running, flipping, sliding shit

M.J. Doja

Banned
Slizz said:
has anyone one beaten the first place time on any of these trials???? theres like techniques that they havent told us being used...those bastards....if i gotta put a code in at least lemme kno what other techniques there are even if there strictly for the 2 time trial levels

theres always gamefaqs

just sayin

t4ng0

Snaku said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck! I hadn't tried going that way.
yeah, i only found out about the quicker ways from the top gamertags. you can go to leaderboards and race that persons ghost.

mintylurb

Whew, finally finished d/ling the 360 version and it does look a bit cleaner than the ps3 version. Both consoles are hooked up to my Sammy 46" via HDMI and calibrated.

PS3
PS3_01.jpg

XBOX 360
xbox360_01.jpg

PS3
PS3_02.jpg

XBOX 360
xbox360_02.jpg

PS3
PS3_04.jpg

XBOX 360
xbox360_04.jpg

Dante

Thanks for posting those.

:lol There is barely a difference, if anything. There is just less contrast on the 360 image.

t4ng0

Careful with watching my videos though - it's so much more rewarding when you figure out a shortcut on your own:D

ypo

Looks like the amount of jagged edges are the same just that the washed out look of the X360 version hides it a little better.

Monocle

Roflcopter! I just figured out a way to kill Celeste in the training portion of the demo by knocking her off the right side of the building she and Faith spar on. It has to be during the jump kick portion of fight training. If you hit Celeste with a sliding kick at a 45 degree angle, she'll stagger back a few steps then face you. With little persistence you can send her plummeting to her death. Awesome. :D

Psychotext said:
So what is that anyway... 2xAA vs none? Not that great a difference.
I think it's just the different cards that output differently. I think none of them have AA.

Snaku said:
That's what I'm seeing.
Unfortunately when the PS3 version is the sharper one that's a bad thing ;)

Nizz

ckohler said:
Now you know how I feel when some devs map shooting in PS3 games to R2. It's do-able, but not preferred. Feels great with the DS3 though! I played the hell out of this demo some more. I'm in love with this game (judging by the demo).

Snaku

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Unfortunately when the PS3 version is the sharper one that's a bad thing ;)

As far as aliasing goes? Maybe. But I prefer the sharper, better picture quality. The 360 version is too muted/muddy in comparison. Though I'm sure I wouldn't notice a difference unless I saw them running side by side.

Metalmurphy said:
I think it's just the different cards that output differently. I think none of them have AA.
When I looked at the normal size version, yeah that was how it appeared. But on the zoomed in version you can see stepping on the upwards leg of the (ramp? solar panel?).

That's where I'm getting my 2x assumption from. I'm not enough of a graphics tech head to know for sure. :)

Psychotext said:
When I looked at the normal size version, yeah that was how it appeared. But on the zoomed in version you can see stepping on the upwards leg of the (ramp? solar panel?).

That's where I'm getting my 2x assumption from. I'm not enough of a graphics tech head to know for sure. :)
The number of steps seem to be exactly the same on both versions, even the position is very very close, ofcourse the tiny difference in distance and angle would mess that up. This would probably be compared better on a cutscene shot.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Want to get rid of jaggies? Do what I did-- play on a 19" shit SDTV over composite. BEAUTIFULEST IMAGE EVAR~

Fine

Ninja99 said:
Roflcopter! I just figured out a way to kill Celeste in the training portion of the demo by knocking her off the right side of the building she and Faith spar on. It has to be during the jump kick portion of fight training. If you hit Celeste with a sliding kick at a 45 degree angle, she'll stagger back a few steps then face you. With little persistence you can send her plummeting to her death. Awesome. :D

This is indeed, awesome. I'm one of the people that shot her in the head the minute I got the gun.

Not that I dislike her or anything, but you know...

Huggy

Disappointed with the demo.
The lightbakes are pretty bad, with oversaturated light, jagged shadow edges and they seemed to not match the realtime shadow source. The image itself is also very jagged.

I might try it later again. I fell too many times to my death trying to get a hold of a pipe in mid air which is pretty frustrating.

Huggy said:
Disappointed with the demo.
The lightbakes are pretty bad, with oversaturated light, jagged shadow edges and they seemed to not match the realtime shadow source. The image itself is also very jagged.

I might try it later again. I fell too many times to my death trying to get a hold of a pipe in mid air which is pretty frustrating.

Indeed. Faith's VA is also bad. She's asian, she should have an asian accent. Like Mei Ling in MGS1.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The speed runs are going to be so epic for this game.
Jesus, just the time trial in the demo is the most fun I've had this year.

Top Bottom