• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Skyrim

enb_2014_11_13_21_27_17_74_1080p_by_confidence_man-d86lwmb.jpg

enb_2014_11_15_21_49_51_81_1080p_by_confidence_man-d86lwlv.jpg

Hnnnngggg.

BONKERS

Wut....

It looks even better in motion. Play it for yourself, don't judge the game based on compressed youtube footage.

Not just from compressed Youtube footage. Direct footage captured from other people. Youtube video is awful. But even with youtube footage you can see tons of problems.

Especially where aliasing is concerned. (Doubly on consoles.)

Looks a lot nicer in bullshots

Not just from compressed Youtube footage. Direct footage captured from other people. Youtube video is awful. But even with youtube footage you can see tons of problems.

Especially where aliasing is concerned. (Doubly on consoles.)

Looks a lot nicer in bullshots

I'm not sure what you're looking at, because the game is a visual feast

8Shb.jpg

9Shb.jpg

Don't get the nerve of people posting either screens or questions in forums for games they've pirated.

Gotta be the very first to post screenshots! You get ribbons for that stuff, ya know.

EDIT: LOL. I was actually going to say "I'm surprised Holyfridge hasn't posted any yet."

I've been unable to get image quality up to what I normally like. 4K, even for screens, is out of the question because performance is already so bad. Ah well. These'll do. The room has been posted a bunch but it just looks so unbelievable, I couldn't help myself.

15627740658_be45b26c6a_o.png

15813118445_a494ee3d0b_o.png

FoxSpirit

I've been unable to get image quality up to what I normally like. 4K, even for screens, is out of the question because performance is already so bad. Ah well. These'll do. The room has been posted a bunch but it just looks so unbelievable, I couldn't help myself.

The lighting and overall detail is just breathtaking.

God damn Unity is beautiful

I did a panorama similar to one of Ubi's:

15188607394_a5f364bdf8_o.jpg

Inquisition doesn't look too impressive in screenshots. Probably looks better in motion though.

Sucks that you can disable everything but the mini map.

How are you hiding the HUD? Are you using the console?

Try opening the console with the ~ key and type: "UI.DrawEnable 0"

You should probably mention the name of the game in your title... because I think you're posting 2 different games now in the same post. Might get confusing. That, and rules :p

BONKERS

it is a great looking game, but it looks better in screens than in motion. theres no reasonable way(from a performance perspective) to eliminate all the shimmer and temporal aliasing.

Nor all the insane LoD pop-in and low draw distances of things like Grass and character models. (Which is something that shouldn't be an issue with today's available rendering power. 3 steps forward, 5 steps back)

Less we also forget actually playable IQ https://images.eurogamer.net/2013/a...4/9/PC_016.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

The problem with moving to IBL/PBL is that extra care needs to be taken at the rendering level and also with AA to reduce aliasing problems.

Ryse and The Order 1866 are the ones to use as reference in this regard.

UE4 , by all accounts from what i've seen doesn't take any pre-emptive action and simply relies on their Temporal AA to hopefully fix any and all issues. (Which gets a lot, but leaves a lot too. UE4 raw is hardcore aliased)

Frostbite too suffers some of this but less so in some ways. Though it has a host of aliasing problems unique to itself.

I don't like Dragon Age, but Inquisition looks mighty lovely.

Xyber

So ui.drawenable 0 works in DA:I and the tactical cam kinda works as a limited free cam. The problem is that the keyboard doesn't work AT ALL if you decide to play with a controller. Can't even bring up the console.

Why they didn't do it like pretty much everyone else and just swap that shit automatically when it detects that you use another input is beyond me. I won't be playing this with mouse and keyboard, just doesn't play great with it.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
There's a border glitch that is clearly noticeable around his head, legs, and sword hilt during certain lighting conditions. 1920x1080, maxed:

MSAA4x (the glitch is present at 2x and 8x values, as well):
15629666659_91333ef648_o.png

TXAA: (glitchy and also more blurry):
15196050993_070f17405b_o.png

FXAA (border glitch begone, also less jaggies and not too blurry):
15815486755_e70ced30fb_o.png

Simply put, fxaa is the best option here in terms of looks and performance, especially when combined with downsampling, the results are pretty flawless.

Apologies for posting 3 images in one post, and for all of the overlays and hud elements, I'll post some pretty hudless ACU screenies shortly.

You say FXAA is not too blurry, but that's because MSAA includes FXAA. Take a screenshot without and you'll see that it's much sharper than both FXAA and MSAA.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
You say FXAA is not too blurry, but that's because MSAA includes FXAA. Take a screenshot without and you'll see that it's much sharper than both FXAA and MSAA.
I don't doubt you but was just wondering, if MSAA includes FXAA, why are their more jaggies present in MSSA compared to FXAA on its own?

Top Bottom