• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2014 |OT| Audi, Porsche, Toyota. One Winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalin80

Banned
Well glad to see an Aston won one class although it should have been two.

They say every driver who races at Lemans leaves with a part of it, that is probably especially true for the Ferraris who will be pulling bits of grass and gravel out of body panels for weeks to come.

Pretty incredible for the #8 Toyota and, especially, the #1 Audi to end up on the podium after all their calamities. Considering how it looked after Duval's crash, I can't be disappointed in the #1's performance, even though for several hours in the morning it looked like the car was going to win it all. What a story that would have been.

And the #2? Not that the last few years have left much room for doubt, but they're clearly the dominant team at Audi, and by extension, the best in all the sport. Great performance by the entire crew.

Podium finishes aren't what Corvette Racing strives for, but for the #73 to come back from as far down as it was and have the C7.R finish as runner-up on its debut at Le Mans is to be applauded.

It'll be great to see some new blood new in LMP1 over the coming years, and Porsche will be a force to be reckoned with in 2015 and beyond, but until anyone actually manages to consistently show otherwise, Le Mans will continue to be Audi's race to lose, just has it's been for the last decade-plus.

13 wins since 2000 is an incredible achievement that decades from now I'm sure will be looked on with the same awe and admiration as the those of the Ferraris and GT40s of the early and late sixties, respectively, and the Porsches of the 70s and 80s.

On coach back now... Awake for 36 hours, drunk, sober, drunk, sober... probably soon to be drunk again.

Interesting experience.

DD

RevolvingConcreteAmericantoad.gif

Shaneus

What's the deal with spoilers in this thread? I didn't see *anything* live, but I've seen the results... is a shame
for Webber :( What happened in the end to both the Porsche LMPs? Far from the end?

Jezbollah

What's the deal with spoilers in this thread? I didn't see *anything* live, but I've seen the results... is a shame
for Webber :( What happened in the end to both the Porsche LMPs? Far from the end?

Spoilers? People posted here "in real time".

If people are concerned about it being spoiled, then they shouldnt look at the thread :)

Shaneus

I don't know, I haven't read any of the thread at all. Couldn't have been more off my radar this weekend, sadly. But Webber didn't finish, so at least it doesn't feel like I wasted my time ;)

Heading back. :(

Motorway looks like a British one which is fairly funny. Brit plates everywhere with the odd foreign one thrown in. ;)

Fox Mulder

Still watching the race even though I saw who won. It's just so neat to see hours of race coverage from inside cockpits since it's at night.

Dave_6

Good stuff. I expected more out of the Nissan, but the driver's skills seemed suspect, not to mention it looked like they were running quite a bit of wing.

Agreed. He seemed to take it very easy in the beginning then picked it up towards the end. There was also a 767B in the race but unfortunately it wasn't in the coverage.

Yeah, I saw the Mazda for just a fleeting moment, but by the first corner it was gone. Too bad about the guy in the Cheetah G606 breaking down on the last lap. He came from the back of the grid, and was giving it the beans. Good drive by him.

None of that really matters though. It's just cool to see them out there. They should have gone full-oldschool and taken the tires barriers out of the chicanes :) The Sauber used to do 250mph in qually trim!

SmokyDave

Looking forward to watching the Group C race when I get home. Golden times.

It's a spaceship man. I listened to it whoosh by over and over on video. I have to get my ass there next year. Mulsanne straight and Porsche curves yes please!
I just can't get excited by diesel or electric. I know it's the future, but they just don't sound good to me. Gimme a 7 litre V12 any day.

In person I found the noise the Audi put out far more interesting than any other car. It's really surreal.

But yeah, I'll also take the pure raw energy of the Corvettes too. :D

TylerD

Yeah, there is no mistaking that pushrod V8 when the Corvette's rumble by.

Outside of going to Le Mans I could go to the 6 hrs of Circuit of the Americas in September. Also has the Tudor US Sports Car Championship race on the same weekend.

Official entry list including 9 LMP1 (2 Audis, 2 Toyotas, 2 Porsches, 2 Rebellion, and a Lotus (TBD)). They will be racing from 5pm to 11pm CST so lights will be in full display.

http://www.fiawec.com/races/6-hours-of-circuit-of-the-americas/official-entry-list.html

Audi's diesel LMP1s have a sound that makes everything else seem so, well, primitive. The company line is that noise is little more than wasted energy that is better used for propulsion, and based on their record since the R10 showed up, I'm inclined to believe them.

In other news, Porsche congratulates Audi, and vows to come back stronger: Le Mans 2014: Day 1 on the way to Le Mans 2015.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Journey to Le Mans

cuhrTmD.png

2q3IbJf.png

Trailer

In cinemas on 11/11/2014:

Vue

Home release on 24/11/2014:

Upyf6iY.jpg

It'll be great to see the race from the perspective of an LMP2 team, rather than the usual LMP1 giants.

Fox Mulder

Edmond Dantès;136739902 said:
Journey to Le Mans

cuhrTmD.png

2q3IbJf.png

Trailer

In cinemas on 11/11/2014:

Vue

Home release on 24/11/2014:

Upyf6iY.jpg

It'll be great to see the race from the perspective of an LMP2 team, rather than the usual LMP1 giants.

neat, I'll be looking out for this. I liked the audi docs.

Shaneus

Fucking awesome.

Bet it doesn't come to a single cinema in Australia. I'd totally fucking pay to see it in one, too. Been too long since I'd heard Stewart's voice boom in a cinema.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Tom Kristensen announces retirement
Arguably the most successful sports car racing driver of this era has called time on his career.

Tom Kristensen announced Wednesday that he will be retiring from professional racing at the end of this year. The news broke during a press conference in Copenhagen, near the home of the 47-year-old Dane. Kristensen, who scored a record-extending ninth overall win at Le Mans in 2013 and is also the reigning FIA World Endurance Drivers’ Champion, will cap off his illustrious career in next weekend’s FIA WEC season-ending Six Hours of Sao Paulo.

He will remain with Audi as a brand ambassador, joining the likes of fellow former drivers Allan McNish, Dindo Capello and Emanauale Pirro in that role.

“”I’ve had the privilege of driving for the best team and the world’s coolest automobile manufacturer for 15 years,”” Kristensen said of his time spent with Audi. “I’ve had great teammates and worked together with fantastic people.

“With Audi, I’ve been able to win many titles and numerous races as well as experiencing some unforgettable, emotional moments.

“My string of victories in the Le Mans 24 Hours would not have been possible without Audi. Leaving this team as a driver is hard for me. But the day had to come at one time or another.

“I can only thank Audi and the entire staff for the great time I’ve had and look forward to my new tasks for the brand and the team of Audi Sport.””

The large majority of Kristensen’s success had come with driving for Audi. He won in his debut with the German manufacturer at the Twelve Hours of Sebring in 2000, in what was also Audi’s first sports car win. Later that year, Kristensen notched his second Le Mans crown, kicking off a remarkable stretch of six consecutive overall victories in the twice-around-the-clock French endurance classic, with wins at Le Mans also in 2008 and 2013. The most successful driver ever at Le Mans also holds a number of accolades in North America, having won the Twelve Hours of Sebring a record six times, plus one additional class victory.

He is also a former American Le Mans Series champion, with Kristensen enjoying success in DTM as well during his 15-year tenure with Audi.

Kristensen announced his retirement alongside longtime friend Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, Head of Audi Motorsport, with Team Joest managing director Ralf Jüttner, who helped him land his first drive in sports car racing, also in attendance.

“Naturally, the retirement of a remarkable personality like Tom Kristensen is a great loss for Audi Sport Team Joest and the entire endurance racing scene,” said Ullrich. ““We can understand his decision to quit at the pinnacle of his career.

“He’’s the last member of the generation that Audi began with in prototype racing. Tom has… shown that he’s still one of the world’s fastest and best sports car drivers.

“We’’ll miss him as a driver but he’’s going to continue to support us with his wealth of experience and his personality. We’’re happy that Tom Kristensen has been and will continue to be an ‘’Audian’’ with his heart and soul.””

Kristensen will team with Loic Duval and Lucas Di Grassi in the appropriately numbered No. 1 Audi R18 e-tron quattro for his final race on Nov. 30 in Brazil.
Link

dubc35

...kicking off a remarkable stretch of six consecutive overall victories in the twice-around-the-clock French endurance classic, with wins at Le Mans also in 2008 and 2013. The most successful driver ever at Le Mans also holds a number of accolades in North America, having won the Twelve Hours of Sebring a record six times, plus one additional class victory.

He is also a former American Le Mans Series champion, with Kristensen enjoying success in DTM as well during his 15-year tenure with Audi.

The guy just dominated, on the same level as Loeb in the WRC. End of an era for sports car racing. I never followed his career in depth but definitely an all time great.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Nissan LMP1 tested and three Porsche LMP1 entries confirmed for the 2015 race
The new Nissan LMP1 factory program has ventured out from its temporary base in Southern California to conduct its first test at the Nissan Technical Center in Stanfield, Ariz.

The nature of the test is unknown, although with a secluded 5.7-mile facility at its disposal, a variety of options would exist for the team while running without fear of onlookers exposing their new-for-2015 Le Mans challenger penned by designer Ben Bowlby.

Everything from basic systems tests, hydraulic tests and straightline running would be normal testing items for the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO chassis.

A Nissan Motorsport spokesman was non-committal when asked about the test: "The LMP1 program continues to run to schedule. Our official launch and all associated information will be communicated in due course but certainly not before the New Year."
Link
Porsche has opted to expand its assault on the 2015 Le Mans 24 Hours to three LMP1 cars.

The German manufacturer announced the decision after the expanded assault on the blue-riband World Endurance Championship event next June was given board approval.

The additional car will also be fielded alongside the in-house Porsche squad's two full-season WEC entries at the Spa round at the start of May by way of preparation.

No drivers have been announced for the car, but Porsche LMP1 boss Fritz Enzinger has revealed that three of the five drivers from its GT roster who tested the 919 over two tests in September and October will be given a second try-out in the P1 car early next month at an undisclosed venue.

Enzinger refused to deny that Frederic Makowiecki, Nick Tandy and Michael Christensen were the three who were being invited back for a second run.

Porsche has insisted that its pool of GT drivers will be the starting point in the selection process for the seats in the third LMP1.

It is unclear whether all three seats could go to internal candidates, but Enzinger has admitted to contact with multiple drivers.

Porsche has already retained all six of its regular P1 drivers for next season.
Link

The LMP1 line-up thus far:

• Audi Sport Team Joest
  • Audi Sport Team Joest
  • Audi Sport Team Joest
  • Toyota Racing
  • Toyota Racing
  • Porsche Team
  • Porsche Team
  • Porsche Team
  • Nissan Motorsports
  • Nissan Motorsports
  • Nissan Motorsports
  • Rebellion Racing
  • Rebellion Racing

Privateer LMP1 entries from SARD and OAK are also rumoured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom