• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Gintoki

Beta updated with Beowulf and his stage

4xeKdFn.gif

The headbutts are pretty awesome along with the wolf dash.

Had to look up the new video to see what you were talking about but wow, lol. This character is so Darkstalkers that it hurts. Really looking forward to seeing how his other supers look and what Mike is planning to do with his hype building mechanic.

For those who haven't seen it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrO3qNgqPAY

But as an aside, how are you guys feeling about Beowulf being not so completely "normal guy" as he was first portrayed? I know some of my more casual friends are kinda disappointed in him having access to giant armored arm normals and the new Wolf Cannons probably won't be up their alley either. To them, a lot of his appeal was that he was just an average dude amongst a roster of fantastic individuals and the addition of this sort of stuff is breaking a lot of his original appeal.

-shrug-

Caj814

DiscoShark:
Considering who he's named after along with how over the top wrestling can be, I don't know why anyone would be surprised on how he turned out.

Had to look up the new video to see what you were talking about but wow, lol. This character is so Darkstalkers that it hurts. Really looking forward to seeing how his other supers look and what Mike is planning to do with his hype building mechanic.

For those who haven't seen it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrO3qNgqPAY

But as an aside, how are you guys feeling about Beowulf being not so completely "normal guy" as he was first portrayed? I know some of my more casual friends are kinda disappointed in him having access to giant armored arm normals and the new Wolf Cannons probably won't be up their alley either. To them, a lot of his appeal was that he was just an average dude amongst a roster of fantastic individuals and the addition of this sort of stuff is breaking a lot of his original appeal.

-shrug-

I dunno, in a roster consisting of:
-An amnesiac schoolgirl with a centuries-old-hair-parasite
-An opera singing zombie with a dragon parasite
-A living cartoon,
-Black musical robocop
-A soldier ninja nurse
-A princess that fights with an explosives-dropping umbrella and her kingdom's army
-An inmortal catgirl that can freely separate her body parts
-A schoolgirl turned into a brainwashed monster that can fly with blades that are attached to her back
-A circus acrobat with a transformable living hat that works for the mafia
-An ancient Egyptian singer with a cat skeleton parasite inside her and control over blood
-A maid on a quest for revenge with the power to control the dead
-Double

Beowulf seems like a pretty regular guy to me.

Ravidrath

Skull Girl curse finally broken. Congrats guys. This kind of exposure can only mean good things.

Seems like the loctest got some good pick-up in Japan.

Usually they ask people not to take pics, but we specifically encouraged them to take pics and share them on Twitter.

Also ended up being one of the top-hit articles on 4Gamer, apparently?

Rivitur

Banned

Usually they ask people not to take pics, but we specifically encouraged them to take pics and share them on Twitter.

You're not done yet Rav you still need that BioGamerGirl endorsement... I'll make some calls : P

i-Jest

Yeah? *claps* Good for you guys.

J-Tier

So this was totally irrelevant to me at the time...but now that I got a PS4 (never thought I would), I don't remember if Rav said whether or not those who've bought it on the PS3 will get a PS4 version.

So question, I bought the PS3 version, will I be getting the PS4 version too--or will it be a 'different version'? Or would it be too hard to differentiate between those who got it free on PS+ and those who bought it (if those who got it on + even makes a dif)?

Ravidrath

So this was totally irrelevant to me at the time...but now that I got a PS4 (never thought I would), I don't remember if Rav said whether or not those who've bought it on the PS3 will get a PS4 version.

So question, I bought the PS3 version, will I be getting the PS4 version too--or will it be a 'different version'? Or would it be too hard to differentiate between those who got it free on PS+ and those who bought it (if those who got it on + even makes a dif)?

We haven't made any final decision on this, but I will say...

We're spending a lot of money on the ports and are putting in some cool upgrades, some of which are not technically possible on PS3.

J-Tier

We haven't made any final decision on this, but I will say...

We're spending a lot of money on the ports and are putting in some cool upgrades, some of which are not technically possible on PS3.

Sounds good to me. I'm willing to buy it a third time if need be, I need Beowulf, Robo-Fortune and whatever else you guys have up your sleeves.

Beats

NEC Grand Finals Dekillsage vs SonicFox5000

There's a couple of other matches from the top 8 on their channel.

also question for Ravidrath, but will there be PS4/PC cross-play? I remember someone saying it wasn't feasible on ps3, but with SFV having crossplay I was wondering if that's something planned/being worked on for the PS4 version of SG.

Ravidrath

also question for Ravidrath, but will there be PS4/PC cross-play? I remember someone saying it wasn't feasible on ps3, but with SFV having crossplay I was wondering if that's something planned/being worked on for the PS4 version of SG.

No plans for this.

Going to ask Sony about it, but I assume that this is only possible because Capcom is rolling its own servers and matchmaking. And that's not something we have money for. That would likely be a big factor in the exclusivity, too, since MS has always been reticent to let games connect to devices outside of their walled garden.

If the things we're hearing are true, SFV is going to cost a staggering amount of money to develop. So I would not be surprised if the monetization for SFV is something akin to a Call of Duty Elite-style subscription service to help recoup that.

This is entirely speculation on my part, but I think it would make a lot of sense. It's a model that the hardcore have demonstrated they're OK with, unlike microtransactions and other "pay to win" things.

shaowebb

Any updates on the Skullgirls engine and how long a wait indie developers still have before they can try their hand at using it? I'd love to play in this engine sometime with some of my frame by frame art.

Beats

Pretty big change being tested in the Skullgirls Beta:

Holiday Experiment - Versus-Series Style Superjumps
Happy holidays, I got you some extra air time!

This is a large change, it invalidates many combos but provides many new ones, opens up new neutral gameplay, etc. I've wanted to try this for a long time just to see how it goes. It may turn out to not be very "Skullgirls" but the best way to learn is by doing - that's what the Beta is for!
This is by no means final, and I'm very sad I have to explicitly state that, hello internet. See what you think, maybe it's fun.
- Everyone has double the takeoff velocity for superjumps, and has air control with the joystick.
- Hitting with a normal during a superjump cuts your upward velocity in half, just like all the old Versus games.
- Just for this experiment Painwheel's flight speed (in all directions but especially upward) has been increased to help it compete with superjumps.

I kinda like it tbh. Might need to play around with it more.

edit: Such a big change would probably require a balance update across the board though.

Beowulf is quickly becoming my favorite new addition to the game, can't wait to try him out. I was watching Khaos' stream when the patch first came out and I gotta say I kinda love the look of the change. It's still early days but I think we're probably gonna see a decrease in combo length across the board as a result and, aesthetically at least, I love how it gives more insight on what the top levels of the stages look like. :p

Beowulf is quickly becoming my favorite new addition to the game, can't wait to try him out. I was watching Khaos' stream when the patch first came out and I gotta say I kinda love the look of the change. It's still early days but I think we're probably gonna see a decrease in combo length across the board as a result and, aesthetically at least, I love how it gives more insight on what the top levels of the stages look like. :p

Since Mike decreased the hight already you're gonna be disapointed. :(

Nyoro SF

I tried it out last night, it was quite a fun change. I beat someone online in the beta while testing it out and said person immediately went on Skullgirls forums to rage at Mike and tell him how much he hated it lol

The height was 55% higher than normal. Now it's just 10% with the ability to move. When you read the reactions on skullheart you understand why he changed so fast: nobody in the top/serious players wanted it because it changed their combo routes or because they don't like MAHVEL style jumps.
I think that was awesome and that it was FUN damn. Even if fun is subjective going over the top and flying in Skullgirls beta was FUN and the more fun the game is, the more I play it. Now it feels like mike wanted a change and that the players just let him have a compensation with 10% percent and the ability to move. -_-

Not checked in on Skullgirls in a minute, had some questions:
- when's Beowulf hitting?
- Robo Fortune?
- PS4 version?
- PS4 version cross buy?
- will PS4 version have a higher-res than PS3 version?
- when's Vita version?
- Vita cross buy?

Top Bottom