• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda Wii U Gameplay Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeblue

Thanks for that. It actually enjoyed it more because I could concentrate on looking at the game. I wonder if they'll ever add anything like a hunger meter in Zelda. I mean since you can pick and eat apples and hopefully fish, I think it'd be cool if there was a reason to. One of the things I never liked about the 3D Zelda's was how you had your set items and that was that. What I always like and wanted was more items. Maybe not random but instead of just one sword, there are many kinds with different styles from different regions and quality. I like that kind of stuff in an open world.

I don't want to annoy any fans but I think it'd be cool if they took the survival / adventure parts of Minecraft and made them fun in Zelda.

The apples probably restore hearts. That's as close as you're probably going to get.

Also, some of you really need to check your sarcasm meters.

bart64

Banned
Wow so much trolling here you guys are up early.

For people who actually play zelda games, I thought the main point of the video was to show the scope and engine. The e3 image left a lot unanswered: how big is it really, how does it run, are there any sacrifices made to the presentation? Answers is it runs as smoothly as ever, no pop in, great animation, beautiful lighting.

Nintendo has already released information about the gameplay approach, how they are working hard to bring the world to life, to make it more interesting that twilight, to do new things with the dungeon order. This video is not about that.

And it was a good fit for the awards. I enjoyed the banter, the casualness of the whole thing while dropping bomb after bomb to fans hungry for a little something. Great tone, and directed at the fans.

LOL, a lot of sarcasm going over people's heads in this thread.

I thought the footage was underwhelming last night too, a trailer would have been better, but I'm never again falling into the trap of judging a Nintendo game based on early footage after the crow I ate with 3D World.

Actually the dungeons were right in front of us all this time, literally in our faces. Those horses - you cut them open and craw into their entrails. It gets quite graphic from there.

Sounds much too violent for me, I can't believe they're doing this to Zelda :(

llehuty

I think it's meant to be raw empty space between "islands" of interesting areas.

Otherwise it would be impossible to 100% the game, finding all pieces of hearts etc. Just imagine having to explore every inch of the world. By having generic landscapes you also achieve greater contrast to points of interest "suspicious looking stone" in a sea of generic ones help draw your attention without explicitly telling you about it, giving the illusion of discovery.

I think the landscape will have optional challenges like rupee reward from caves, epona combat events, collecting apples and whatnot. In many ways the train part of Spirit Tracks, sea in WW and so on.

While the actual patches of areas within the world contains all of the substance and will be differentiated with more impressive graphics as well as more detail. Like an oasis in a sea of nothing, a local haven.

So much this. I would rather have an interesting and organic world than an enemy/cave every 5 steps just to satisfy the people with an attention span of a fly.

I really don't get what people want. People were complaining of Skyward Sword lack of open world that connected the places and now there is a problem with a natural overworld connecting them.

spliced

How do you draw this conclusion?

Because that's the way the series is trending in my view, and the fact that they showed off a bunch of gimmicky stuff like Epona dodging trees and horse combat worries me. Zelda no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt I'm sad to say.

phanphare

Banned
I think it looks excellent and so far it captures the adventure mood created by this original Zelda artwork

m_loz.jpg

oh look, you just blew my mind

A37VGfu.jpg

ASIS

Man I'm so disappointed, the game is so barren it doesn't even have dungeons!
Seriously though there better not be a checklist in this game.

Mik317

They also skipped forward a lot...so who knows what we DIDN'T see.

I get being concerned based off of what we did get to see but some people are acting like the game comes out next month and shit.

This goes for every reveal and not just Nintendo...but I feel like people are too jaded lately and focus far too much on the negative in an attempt to seem to be critical and not accepting sub par products and whatnot...and it only comes off as nitpicky at times.

Every reveal lately has a bunch of people rushing into threads to basically go "meh, I don't get why people are even excited about this game....". It really doesn't add a much to the conversation as you may think. It is basically the alternate version of "OMG ALL OVER MAH FAAAACE" posts.

again the funny part is that most of the concerns are valid as fuck...but I do think we are better off waiting until the next look in instead of judging it off of a very quick look at an offscreen streamed version of the game.

JDSN

Banned
As much as I enjoy hearing Aonuma and Miyamoto shooting the shit, this was an absolutely terrible way to show off the game. Horrible, horrible, horrible. This is Zelda, for Christ's sake. This is supposed to be one of the most treasured franchises in gaming. Would you please make a bigger deal out of that. For crying out loud. This may as well have been Aonuma and Miyamoto watching paint dry while having a friendly conversation. There was zero excitement.

Did they forget about the reveal of Twilight Princess? Did they forget the kind of reaction a new Zelda CAN create?

Please, a dramatic reading of this.

Magnus

For people who actually play zelda games, I thought the main point of the video was to show the scope and engine. The e3 image left a lot unanswered: how big is it really, how does it run, are there any sacrifices made to the presentation? Answers is it runs as smoothly as ever, no pop in, great animation, beautiful lighting.

Nintendo has already released information about the gameplay approach, how they are working hard to bring the world to life, to make it more interesting that twilight, to do new things with the dungeon order. This video is not about that.

And it was a good fit for the awards. I enjoyed the banter, the casualness of the whole thing while dropping bomb after bomb to fans hungry for a little something. Great tone, and directed at the fans.

Heartily disagree with the last point - wrong tone for an awards show. Awesome for something like a Nintendo direct. This needed something a lot more impressive, in your face, explosive, akin to the last 30 seconds of the original reveal.

Talking about dodging trees is the most hilariously tepid shit to talk about when revealing this game for like the second time ever. Does anyone vet this before it goes live to air? This was like the fishes swimming out of the way in CoD.

Also, why was the whole thing off-screen. Everyone in the room with me kept hollering "direct feed!" And rightly so.

First time I saw it I was unimpressed, but after really looking at it, I'm really excited! I loved the oceans in WW, and it looks like this is a similar concept that they can do a lot more with.

i want to see a pic of the new sidekick. Curious if they can match TTP in that aspect
It's the horse! But seriously, whatever it is should be less intrusive since there's a gamepad right?

I think it's meant to be raw empty space between "islands" of interesting areas.

Otherwise it would be impossible to 100% the game, finding all pieces of hearts etc. Just imagine having to explore every inch of the world. By having generic landscapes you also achieve greater contrast to points of interest "suspicious looking stone" in a sea of generic ones help draw your attention without explicitly telling you about it, giving the illusion of discovery.

I think the landscape will have optional challenges like rupee reward from caves, epona combat events, collecting apples and whatnot. In many ways the train part of Spirit Tracks, sea in WW and so on.

While the actual patches of areas within the world contains all of the substance and will be differentiated with more impressive graphics as well as more detail. Like an oasis in a sea of nothing, a local haven.

This post wins.

Heroman

Banned
You are searching for a dungeon. Once you've discovered it you'll be able to teleport there. Seriously, I'm so disappointed in the lack of adventuring spirit in some gamers these days.

I dont think you will be sarrhing for dungeaon, it will more like hey yo there a deugeon over here over there

PooBone

This is the image I thought of when Epona was running through those trees. I remember poring over the Zelda 64 development screens for HOURS on the internet. Oh, the days of Windows 95.

zelda114.jpg

oh look, you just blew my mind

A37VGfu.jpg

This! The vista is gorgeous and I immediately thought of that OG artwork. When I recall Miyamoto talking about LoZ being based on his childhood adventures exploring, I think having a great world full of wonder and secrets is prime to capturing that sort of "feel". Hell, looking at both pictures(the original LoZ artwork and the screenshot of Link overlooking the world, I think both encapsulates the idea of "A World of Adventure".

Leatherface

First off that looked incredible. How they can pull that off on a WiiU is just amazing. Secondly, those worried about not having enough to do or too sparse, relax. This is Zelda. The game will most likely be a masterpiece.

First off that looked incredible. How they can pull that off on a WiiU is just amazing. Secondly, those worried about not having enough to do or too sparse, relax. This is Zelda. The game will most likely be a masterpiece.
A major problem with the last Zelda game was that the open world had literally nothing of consequence to do outside of Skyloft :p

I'm not as worried with this one though, since there's not two worlds from what I can tell.

Jagsrock

Banned
I can understand the "it looks boring" comments when only talking about the footage shown. They didn't exactly blow the lid of the game. It was a another small amount of info shown for he sake of showcasing the scale of the game. For me personally it was fantastic to see but i'll agree it wasn't the most "exciting" thing.That said if you honestly believe they would finally go out and make a giant Zeglda world only to leave it barren then get ready to eat crow when the next trailer comes around. People said similar things about 3d world and that was even closer to release. It looks bland, all the levels look boring, what's with the cat suits, it's literally just 3d land ported etc.Then couple months before release epic trailer and everything changed.

This is the image I thought of when Epona was running through those trees. I remember poring over the Zelda 64 development screens for HOURS on the internet. Oh, the days of Windows 95.

zelda114.jpg

I remember staring at those early images in awe. I used to dream about that shit. Ocarina was great but it didn't really have those open forests and mountains that I was hoping for.

This game however...

Amalthea

Banned
I think it looks excellent and so far it captures the adventure mood created by this original Zelda artwork

m_loz.jpg

I hope they can capture the following for dungeons too
The geography of the overworld also resembles the Nes games a lot. Mountains in the North-West, an ocean in South-East. Me likey!

Solid post, thanks for writing it for me.

Looks fucking beautiful. Really.

The emptiness is understandable at this time of development, though i hope they add lots of NPCs fauna, and such.

Amir0x

Banned
That said if you honestly believe they would finally go out and make a giant Zeglda world only to leave it barren then get ready to eat crow

they did it for Twilight Princess. Everything in between the dungeons/towns/etc was barren and boring. Great game, one of my favorites, but that was the big the flaw of the title. There's a reason people even have this concern, because it has been a problem in the past with certain 3D Zelda titles.

Codeblue

Heartily disagree with the last point - wrong tone for an awards show. Awesome for something like a Nintendo direct. This needed something a lot more impressive, in your face, explosive, akin to the last 30 seconds of the original reveal.

Talking about dodging trees is the most hilariously tepid shit to talk about when revealing this game for like the second time ever. Does anyone vet this before it goes live to air? This was like the fishes swimming out of the way in CoD.

Also, why was the whole thing off-screen. Everyone in the room with me kept hollering "direct feed!" And rightly so.

You were yelling at a pre-recorded video?

they did it for Twilight Princess. Everything in between the dungeons/towns/etc was barren and boring. Great game, one of my favorites, but that was the big the flaw of the title. There's a reason people even have this concern, because it has been a problem in the past with certain 3D Zelda titles.
I guess he's saying the difference is that TP didn't have one huge overworld, it had lots of 'rooms' of overworld kinda. Best comparison would be to Wind Waker, and I guess the argument is that it's easier to make compelling stuff out of traveling on land than water.

The thing that scares me the most is that they brought back the sail cloth. I hope that doesn't mean we'll see a lot of other SS stuff like Hylia or whatever.

A major problem with the last Zelda game was that the open world had literally nothing of consequence to do outside of Skyloft :p

I don't see how that was a major problem. It functioned just like Hyrule Field. You weren't supposed to spend a great deal of time there and there were some small, cool areas that I enjoyed for example the bamboo island, the islands that were basically small puzzles to figure out how to get the items they housed, the freefalling mini game, Pumpkin island, etc. It wasn't totally empty, there was stuff to do, and Skyloft was the main attraction (and it was quite dense).

Otherwise it only takes a moment to reach the three major destination points. The sky overall never stood out to me as some kind of flaw. I guess it could have been bigger with even more features but the main destinations and dungeons gave me all the gameplay I needed.

Mr Buddy

Another clear sign of downgrade is the fact that the game dosent run on full screen anymore. The playable area is now only a small box to the left, while the rest of the screen is taken by the image of two man talking. Here´s proof

zerudatmu5h.jpg

Compare it to the footage shown at e3 and you will notice that the old version uses the full screen, instead of the terrible downgrade we see now

IvKf6nh.gif

Bravo sir

Eblo

Look at the top. It’s a clock that reads 19:00. I believe it represents in-game time, as 19:00 would match the sunset seen in the gameplay. I doubt that it’s real-world time since the home button shows that already, and we saw clear daylight pouring into the room with Miyamoto and Aonuma. So, I can conjecture that it’s a specific time from in the new Zelda game. Yeah, so what? Nearly every Zelda game had different times of day, right?

Well, the only Zelda games to have exact hours and minutes in their clocks are Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask. The only two games to feature the Hero of Time. I want to believe, GAF.

phanphare

Banned
Look at the top. It’s a clock that reads 19:00. I believe it represents in-game time, as 19:00 would match the sunset seen in the gameplay. I doubt that it’s real-world time since the home button shows that already, and we saw clear daylight pouring into the room with Miyamoto and Aonuma. So, I can conjecture that it’s a specific time from in the new Zelda game. Yeah, so what? Nearly every Zelda game had different times of day, right?

Well, the only Zelda games to have exact hours and minutes in their clocks are Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask. The only two games to feature the Hero of Time. I want to believe, GAF.

they could have just changed the clock on the console for the demo

would make sense considering it's a nice even number when it's shown

RagnarokX

Some musings over the map:

jbsW94yTXr27c1.jpg

There are 2 icons on the map: a town and a tent. The tent icon has a 1 next to it. Could these be fast travel camps?

jXeu9nnCBZkvg.jpg

The big lake on the map looks pretty similar to the big lake in Zelda 1, including being fed by a river from the northeast.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think lighter = higher. The beaches (including those around lakes) are all dark and the topography gets lighter moving inland. The lava, which would likely be death mountain, is on lighter topography. This would indicate that the desert is very high up. It has a canyon/crevice dividing it like the desert in Twilight Princess and looks like it has a huge oasis in the southwest corner.

There's a stormcloud reminiscent of thunderhead from Skyward Sword in the southwest corner of the map. I'm thinking it could be like snowhead.

jDOyJj3HC0M29.jpg

Why is a dock important enough to indicate on the map? This is a small lake near the town. Maybe it's the starting village and you can learn how to boat here on calmer waters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom