• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Experience Event 2014 - 20 Years of gaming memories distilled

Conduit

Banned
What happened about that EMAGON trailer? Had a feeling that was going to be the mystery game that got leaked early.

Emagon Is Nothing But A Viral Marketing For PS4 20th Anniversary Console In Spain

https://translate.google.co.in/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.es.playstation.com%2F2014%2F12%2F05%2Femagon-una-subasta-benefica-de-favor-de-unicef-y-juegaterapia%2F&edit-text=

All profits raised during the three days of auction will go to UNICEF to help children who need it most, and Juegaterapia, which helps children with cancer spend their treatment in the best way possible: playing.

IaN_GAF

So to celebrate their 20th, they put up an event with liveshows, extensive gameplay shown from upcoming games and some actual legit game announcements.

I feel they did good, and I have been enjoying watching parts of the livestreams.

Loudninja

Street Fighter V is a megaton

Personally, I thought based on GAF's past wishes that Yakuza 4, Dead Souls and 5 all being announced for localization at the same time would be a megaton, but not megaton enough apparently. Only system wars stuff counts now :/

I also thought a huge demo of Uncharted 4 was great.

And you know the 30 minute demo of The Order everyone is praising now. Or how rad Drawn to Death looks. Or all the new Bloodborne info. Or all that Vita love.

Or one of the 45 other games they showed at the conference which all seemed great

100 games for the next show Sony :/
Rright, dont Forget Suikoden 2 on PSN that was major.

Just so many nice new games and announcements.

vypek

To me this was better than E3. E3 gave us trailers for Bloodborne and Uncharted 4, at PSX we got gameplay for both.

Same here. To be honest, the conference made me want to get a Vita. Saw plenty of interesting stuff just during the keynote. If Sony wants to throw themselves a party where they have fans join in then so be it. And its the perfect time after E3 and before the next E3.

aly

It's no mystery though

We've known about this. Sony did not go all out for their 20th anniversary.

Honestly everything is probably much cooler for the people who are actually there getting to play games and meet devs. That's the big part since it was for fans, not the keynote and not really the announcements, event though they were great. People at home got over hyped and missed the point.

Amir0x

Banned
How do you know something didn't come up and it was pulled last minute or something?

I think Worthy was straight up lied to because he also heard Crash and Dragon's Dogma 2. Everyone's been buzzing about DD2, so maybe that might be real... but it's highly unlikely Crash (which we just got confirmation Sony does not have the rights to make a game for again) and TLG were both pulled at the last minute.

Just seems someone was pulling his leg.

GavinUK86

Anyone know where I can watch the Night Under No Man's Sky thing? I flicked through the archived streams and couldn't see it.

SDCowboy

I think Worthy was straight up lied to because he also heard Crash and Dragon's Dogma 2. Everyone's been buzzing about DD2, so maybe that might be real... but it's highly unlikely Crash (which we just got confirmation Sony does not have the rights to make a game for again) and TLG were both pulled at the last minute.

Amir, I'm just trying to keep the faith, bro. Come on! :p

Loudninja

I mean look at this, its crazy how many announcements they had.
1 - Killstrain
2 - Killing Floor 2
3 - Bastion Announced for PS4 and Vita
4 - Ultra Street Fighter 4
5 - Fat Princess 2
6 -The Forest
7 - Grim Fandango - 27 Jan
8 - Super Time Force Ultra on PS4 and Vita (2015, Yoshida is in it)
9 - What Remains of Edith Finch | 2015 | Ps4 exclusive
10 - Shovel Knight announced for PS3, PS4, PSVita ( 1 2 )
11- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming to vita.
12 - Yakuza 5 Localized
13 - Day of the Tentacle Special Edition Announced!
14 - Broken Age Announced
15 - Wattam (PS4, by Katamari Creator Keita Takahashi and his fork)
16 - EA Releases 3 Free Games on PSN (NFS:MW Vita, Mirror's Edge PS3, PvZ GW PS4)
17 - Street Fighter 5 Officially Announced For PS4 and PC, has cross-play
18 - Final Fanttasy 7 annouced
19 - Suikoden I and II coming to PS Vita in North America!
20 - David Jaffe Announces Drawn to Death as PS4 Exclusive
21 - MLB 2015
22 - Reconnect
23 - Destiny DLC
24 - Darkest Dungeon
25 - Geometry Wars 3 Vita
26 - Orcs Must Die: Unchained
27 - Severed
28 - Skytorn
29- Towerfall Ascension/ Dark World Vita
30 - Octodad Vita
31 - The Banner Saga Vita
32 - Gang Beasts PS4/Vita

MavFan619

Banned

It's a shame but once again people hyping themselves up based on what others heard setting themselves up got disappointment. I'm my book this was one of the best events Sony took part in and it happened to be there own, also seems to be even better if you're there. Yet the irrational Crash, Shenmue 3, Gigaton crowd now act like all these great announces for PS4,3 and even Vita weren't all great. Thankless job for these folks. Kind of a shame :(

Personally, I thought based on GAF's past wishes that Yakuza 4, Dead Souls and 5 all being announced for localization at the same time would be a megaton, but not megaton enough apparently. Only system wars stuff counts now :/

And you know the 30 minute demo of The Order everyone is praising now. Or how rad Drawn to Death looks. Or all the new Bloodborne info. Or all that Vita love.

Or one of the 45 other games they showed at the conference which all seemed great

Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls were already localized weren't they?

Amir0x

Banned
So I haven't been follwing the event today, what was the "secret mystery game".

Shovel Knight

hah. heh. heh

chicagocubsfan said:
Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls were already localized weren't they?

shit I actually didn't know they already were, goes to show how much I follow Yakuza these days :<

well Yakuza 5 anyway!

Between E3, Gamescom, TGS and PSX , Sony have announced around 20+ exclusives, and somewhere along the line of like 100+ timed exclusives.

And they'll have 4 events again next year.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's a shame but once again people hyping themselves up based on what others heard setting themselves up got disappointment. I'm my book this was one of the best events Sony took part in and it happened to be there own, also seems to be even better if you're there. Yet the irrational Crash, Shenmue 3, Gigaton crowd now act like all these great announces for PS4,3 and even Vita weren't all great. Thankless job for these folks. Kind of a shame :(

If I heard it on twitter or other forum yes, but In here you know if the poster was not banned then the information is accurate.. or that what I thought.

If I heard it on twitter or other forum yes, but In here you know if the poster was not banned then the information is accurate.. or that what I thought.

Mods don't verify the legitimacy of the info itself, just that the poster isn't bullshitting out their arses. Can't be helped if they were lied to by bad sources.

MavFan619

Banned
Sure I get that at the same time don't feel burned when "insider" info doesn't come to fruition and the show was still good. Don't just bank on the insider megatons and see the show for the sum of it's parts which had a lot of great stuff. I guess I'm just a weirdo.

I loved the show. I never entered a hype thread and didn't listen to one "insider" and guess what, tons of reveals and surprises showed up!

I hope others learn this lesson. The events are more fun where you aren't getting so worked up on rumors and dreams.

I hate to be a pest and keep asking the same question...but ya'll got any updates about the TLoU MP DLC?

Seriously, though, they said they were announcing something MP-related for TLoU...

I've been praying for a horde mode for the longest time now.

Edit: Never mind, it's weapon/perk/gesture DLC. Dammit.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Mods don't verify the legitimacy of the info itself, just that the poster isn't bullshitting out their arses. Can't be helped if they were lied to by bad sources.

I didn't know that.

Sure I get that at the same time don't feel burned when "insider" info doesn't come to fruition and the show was still good. Don't just bank on the insider megatons and see the show for the sum of it's parts which had a lot of great stuff. I guess I'm just a weirdo.

For me personally it was good until SE. Can't believe Sony allowed them stage time for that. And the ending was weak.

Natheren

Never been the biggest SF fan but I'll give ya that it was a surprise. I guess I'm just looking for them to really wow me over at this event. I mean it's the 20th anniversary after all. I could really careless about console wars, the only thing that matters is games. Bloodborne is awesome but not a system seller for me. I'm just waiting for a good reason to get a ps4 over WiiU.

Vibranium

Banned
I watched some archived streams since I've been at work for a few days, and I feel it was a great event, and that Sony probably have a lot in the tank for E3. I really want to go to PSX next year and hang out with Adam Boyes like some lucky gaffers- as a bonus I'm also Canadian!

And goddamn, I can't wait for Nolan North and Troy Baker to put on a voice acting clinic as Drake and his bro- that's going to be hilarious.

Amir0x

Banned
Never been the biggest SF fan but I'll give ya that it was a surprise. I guess I'm just looking for them to really wow me over at this event. I mean it's the 20th anniversary after all. I could really careless about console wars, the only thing that matters is games. Bloodborne is awesome but not a system seller for me. I'm just waiting for a good reason to get a ps4 over WiiU.

i mean they have like a zillion games announced for PS4 at this point that isn't coming to other platforms.

do you have something specific you're looking for? Maybe I can point you toward it.

Mikey Jr.

Any pictures/videos of the actual event?

Would love to see what it looks like, how the booths were set up, etc.

Also, were there any impressions of the event? Not the games, but the actual event. Worth going to?

At this point, it's pretty clear that if you're looking for a one event "blowout", Sony isn't the company for you.

Consistently across all 4 events this year, they've announced 4-6 bonafide exclusives, an array of timed exclusives, and some nice extra surprises at each one of different variety. (Powers at E3, PT and FW 2.0 at GC, Yakuza 5 and #buildingthelist at PSX)

No holy shit 5 AAA exclusive games at one show kind of stuff,but still... a lot of good stuff throughout the year.

viveks86

For Part 1, go here

The Playstation Experience - Part II

Now that the keynote was over, it was time to do what I could not do sitting at home eating doritos. Play some games! With simultaneous excitement for playing so many interesting titles and soul crushing dismay that Trico stood us up once again, I rushed into Hall B - the show floor. As I did, I could have sworn that I noticed a few in tears. Must be TLG withdrawal, I thought to myself.

The show floor reminded me of six flags. I wanted to try everything, but everything had intimidatingly long queues. I was overwhelmed. Took me a while to get my bearings, survey the floor and plan what games I wanted to play. But first, I wanted to get the anniversary edition PS4 for a friend. It was practically sold out even before I got there because they had just 100 units and they blocked them all for VIPs and those who had been waiting in line for the keynote since 3 AM (Yes. 3 AM). A little disappointed, I decided to start with games that I had a lot of excitement for, but would also not be too crowded. Tearaway and The Witness came to mind. So that was the plan.

Tearaway

After a bit of scouting, I managed to find the Tearaway section. It was full, but it didn't have a queue at all. Someone left just as I walked in, so I took over the controller. I was immediately struck by how beautiful the game looked. I don't own a vita, so I can't tell the improvements, but this was no uprez. The graphics were sharp, textures very well detailed and clearly running at 60 fps. Jaggies were minimal and combined with the art style, gave an impressive, clean look. The demo was brief (something about scaring crows away by finding a pumpkin), but the mechanics felt very intuitive. It seemed like the game has been redesigned from the ground up to support DS4 controls. Touchpad was used effective for swipe gestures, the motion tracking of the controller was spot on and I didn't run into a single hitch from a control mapping standpoint. I had characters pick up stuff, throw them into my controller, so that I can target and throw them back into the game to enable atoi to get to the next stage. The puzzles were light and fun overall and I'm looking forward to the game even more. It did not feel like a port at all. I noticed a few camera issues where the camera got stuck behind opaque objects. Hope that gets ironed out in the final build. I poked and prodded the dev to give me a timeline more granular than "2015", but he wouldn't budge. So that's that.

The Witness

The witness was setup in quite a beautiful looking closed booth. The game had the longest queue amongst indies, but it still paled in comparison to the likes of The Order or Bloodborne. What I didn't know was how long it took for each person's turn. They had 4 systems and they had the WHOLE game available. They placed no restrictions on how long people should play, so it was taking forever. Probably not the best way to do a demo at an event like this. I waited and waited and waited. Then I overheard Jonathan Blow mention that a new build was being rolled out in the afternoon due to some issues with the current one. Thought I might as well try the better version later. So I bailed.

Klaus

As I looked for other games to play, I spotted this tiny little booth where a puzzle platformer called Klaus was showcased. It had a very unique aesthetic that drew me in, so I gave it a shot. The controls were great and it reminded me a lot of stealth bastard and escape plan. It had an intriguing story as well, so I'm sure to check it out when it releases next year. Apparently launching exclusively on PS4/Vita and maybe PC later. The dev talked to me about how they started at a Square Enix game dev competition and how Sony reached out to them to help with this game. Was nice to connect with him at a level beyond potential buyer/seller.

Until Dawn

I was still not prepared to handle the large queues, so I roamed around till I found something interesting. I walked past Until Dawn, which had another enormous queue. But as I walked past, I found several systems with the game that the queue wasn't leading up to. I asked the dev and he said the queue is for an enclosed, darker space for the "definitive Until Dawn thriller experience". I was like "fuck that, I'm fine playing it here". So I got right to it! The game started with a survey, which i'm sure had no impact on the demo, but would in the final game. Questions like "Do you fear creepy crawlies or do you fear the dark?" are certain to generate different scenarios. The demo we got was the same section that was played at the keynote. First off , the game has fantastic sound design. It felt pretty eery and they managed to nail the atmosphere. Hayden Panettiere looks great and even more so in a towel. Graphics were a mixed bag overall. Lighting and faces were spectacular. Wasn't expecting less from the killzone engine, but there was quite a bit of aliasing on certain areas alone. Especially her hair. Facial animations and animations in general left a lot to be desired as there was quite a bit of jank. Controls were ok. It had that slow deliberate feel like heavy rain. Also liked some of the nice little touches like when you move her down a stair case and if you stop her when her feet are on different stairs, she would automatically bring the rear foot in line so that it didn't look awkward.

The game plays like a cheesy teenage slasher flick with a lot of jump scares and "run or hide" choices. But it made for some pretty fun gameplay. Unlike the keynote, I did manage to save her. I can totally see this as being a party game where people get together to decide each character's fate. The fact that it is a teenage slasher flick and you don't really care about who dies (unless it's Hayden, of course. Anything for Hayden), makes it is easy to be sadistic and not regret the decisions you make, something difficult to do in a game like Heavy Rain. So even though it had the same vibe and mechanics, it was selling to a different audience and it felt unique in that sense. Aside from the nagging technical issues with visuals, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

(To be continued)

Top Bottom