• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Anteater

Shadow Resolution is a frame killer. Keeping it down (along with MSAA) has improved my framerate significantly. I'm super early in the game, so I'm interested to hear how the later areas feel.

Basically once you start getting more spells (likely after the crystal lake area), you'll start getting a lot of drops in battle whenever your characters cast spells, and they often drop to 30 and go back up (with vsync off), no matter the resolution and graphic settings,so it becomes a bit annoying.

I just tried it and the game performs the same.

Zafir

GPU usage is <12% lol... What the hell is wrong with this game?

Well, the game really isn't intensive on your card in all honesty. So it could be that, but it also could be that your card is downclocking because the game is so un-intensive(I had this issue). Check the power settings in Nvidia CP and/or Windows Power Settings to make sure it's set to performance and not power saving or whatever.

Levyne

Banned
Does the current gedosato implementation still work for 4k downsampling or do you have to switch to dsr/vsr?

and I assume 16:10 is still out?

Edit: I should probably add that I would check myself but I am between heatsinks on my cpu at the moment and can't.

TheTux

Well, the game really isn't intensive on your card in all honesty. So it could be that, but it also could be that your card is downclocking because the game is so un-intensive(I had this issue). Check the power settings in Nvidia CP and/or Windows Power Settings to make sure it's set to performance and not power saving or whatever.

Using an AMD notebook video card. Power settings should all be set to "Maximum performance".

Zexen

Same problem as before with GeDoSaTo.
FullScreen 1080p/2160p (whatever higher than 720p), game runs with bad fps.
Borderless FullScreen higher than 720p, game runs at 60 almost all the time.

In fact, it's even worse now, in FullScreen I have plenty of tearing.

Why didn't SE managed to get some of the guys in charge of FFXIV to port these games?

TheTux

Why didn't SE managed to get some of the guys in charge of FFXIV to port these games?

Maybe when Lightning Returns comes out we'll get a decent patch.

I just think it's the engine. This just shows even Crystal Tools runs horrendous on PC

Tizoc

Man the frame rate has taken a hit in the 2nd area (snow/crystal surrondings). Anyone know what's causing this? The AA?

Durante

I love the fact that the options they added are exactly (a subset of) the ones I added in my GeDoSaTo plugin.

I never really believed it, but it might in fact be true that some Japanese developers simply really have no idea at all what to do on PC :/

Fdkn

I did a quick (~20min) test on 1080p and 16x AA and according to fraps my 750ti is running it at constant 60 fps during battles now too. The only moment it drops is during loading screens/battle transitions but never during gameplay (well sometimes fraps says 58 or 59 instead of 60 but I can't notice anything weird on the image itself so idk).

I'm not trying to dismiss anyone problems though, but it works for me.

Durante

I'm not sure if I should be amused, flattered, saddened, disappointed or any combination of all of those by the way the went about doing this.

Parsnip

iosefe

after all this time, it's still hilarious that cranking AA up to 16 gives me a smoother or on par game than 4x

*edt* testing based on the opening battle

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever that the UI elements display code has some kind of framepacing built into them. Whenever they disappear (paradigm shift, or end of battle) the framerate jumps back up to 60 momentarily. Very very obvious in those videos.

What's actually bizarre at this point though is that other people are (reportedly) getting 60 constant even with the UI. How is that possible if the game itself is framepacing? Or is that bit of unwanted code not functioning as intended (lol)

Gvaz

Banned
I love the fact that the options they added are exactly (a subset of) the ones I added in my GeDoSaTo plugin.

I never really believed it, but it might in fact be true that some Japanese developers simply really have no idea at all what to do on PC :/

This should really be brought up more. That's extremely lazy.

GavinUK86

Even though it's nice to change resolution from the launcher and not have to do it through anything else, there's still issues. I have a 660sli setup and it's barely using the second card plus it's still dropping frames in the same place as before. Smh Japan.

BONKERS

See my video link and my own screenshots. No card downclocking what so ever. The port is just utter horse shit and they expect us to lie down and take this? They aren't getting a cent of my money for any game on PC until this crap is fixed. I was thinking about playing some more FFXIV again, but fuck that.
This is a FIRST PARTY, AAA release. And this is what they think is ACCEPTABLE? What am I kidding, these same people thought that running Final Fantasy IV at a locked 15FPS in battle was *OK*

It's like they literally just look at the CVARs from the functions in GeDoSaTo and said "ok, just add those in the menu, add basic shitty bilinear upscaling (Which is sadly better than point still) and call it a day! HURR"
I just think it's the engine. This just shows even Crystal Tools runs horrendous on PC

That's not true. FFXIV 1.0 ran fine at max settings, 4xMSAA @60FPS @1600x900 on just a GTX 460 at the time. That game WAS horribly optimized though and you needed a decent card for playability.

Dragon Quest X's benchmark runs just fine in all the testing i've done. Which also runs on Crystal Tools. The only conceivable reason this could suck so hard is that they fucked up something because it's seemingly ported over from the JPN 360 version.

Man the frame rate has taken a hit in the 2nd area (snow/crystal surrondings). Anyone know what's causing this? The AA?

Doubtful. The original unpatched ran with 4xMSAA by default.

Falk

that puzzling face
That's not true. FFXIV 1.0 ran fine at max settings, 4xMSAA @60FPS @1600x900 on just a GTX 460 at the time. That game WAS horribly optimized though and you needed a decent card for playability.

I think there's been enough evidence time and time again that it's something within the code for displaying battle UI which is framepacing (or choking, or whatever you want to call it) to 30fps. That and the game not using multi cores and/or GPU to their full extent. Two separate issues.

Again, reiterating that majority of people who are getting 60fps with 30fps fluctuations are getting those 30fps dips when the combat UI is displayed. In fact, videos over in the XIII-2 OT show this very clearly, where paradigm shifting makes the FPS jump to 60 momentarily since the UI disappears for a second.

edit: Getting my threads mixed up. Aforementioned videos are a few posts up actually.

Jinroh

The game barely works for me anymore. Even though I select fullscreen on 2560*1440, it runs at 20 fps on a borderless fullscreen mode and the shadows are terrible.

This port is an absolute mess, and there's no reason it took them so long to release such a small fix...

edit: Even when I start it in 1920*1080 on a windows the maximum framerate is 30 and as soon as something happens it's locked at 20. It thought the game wasn't locked at 30 fps? Also V-sync probably locks it at 20. Very useful on my g-sync monitor.

edit: With the same settings, fullscreen 2560*1440, FF 13-2 runs in 720p between 9 and 12 fps during the introduction battle...

I have a GTX 770, does anyone else have a smiliar issue?

Anteater

Well i've tried everything, and the drops are still there.

I'm wondering if there are really people who are getting steady 60fps? I've read quite a few posts about it on multiple threads and I'm still wondering if that's really possible or people are just not noticing the quick drops. If it's the former than surely there's a way to make it better? Obviously some areas are better, and some worse, but generally if there are certain spells and effects, it will cause the slow down for me, and it's pretty consistent, but there are a few that seems to get consistent framerate within combat.

Cerity

This game, I started playing it again as I want it off my SSD. Chapter 9,
apparently the whole thing where the team boards the Paramecia to free Vanille and Sazh was a trap by Dysely.
How in the flying fuck can you interpret that from just the cutscenes and dialogue? Jesus.

The game barely works for me anymore. Even though I select fullscreen on 2560*1440, it runs at 20 fps on a borderless fullscreen mode and the shadows are terrible.

This port is an absolute mess, and there's no reason it took them so long to release such a small fix...

edit: Even when I start it in 1920*1080 on a windows the maximum framerate is 30 and as soon as something happens it's locked at 20. It thought the game wasn't locked at 30 fps? Also V-sync probably locks it at 20. Very useful on my g-sync monitor.

edit: With the same settings, fullscreen 2560*1440, FF 13-2 runs in 720p between 9 and 12 fps during the introduction battle...

I have a GTX 770, does anyone else have a smiliar issue?

There's a bug with 1440p.

BONKERS

I think there's been enough evidence time and time again that it's something within the code for displaying battle UI which is framepacing (or choking, or whatever you want to call it) to 30fps. That and the game not using multi cores and/or GPU to their full extent. Two separate issues.

Again, reiterating that majority of people who are getting 60fps with 30fps fluctuations are getting those 30fps dips when the combat UI is displayed. In fact, videos over in the XIII-2 OT show this very clearly, where paradigm shifting makes the FPS jump to 60 momentarily since the UI disappears for a second.

edit: Getting my threads mixed up. Aforementioned videos are a few posts up actually.

I get tons of microstuttering even outside of battle. Watch my video, look at the frametimes, they are ridiculous. The game always seems to sit between 58-59 constantly going back and forth. Never 60.

And when it does dip in battle, mine dips into the 40s. Probably because it's not dipping long enough for the frame counters to show 30FPS

There is even microstuttering during FMVs FFS

However, if I cap to 30 with RTSS and set 1/2 Refresh rate. Performance is finally stable. But that doesn't do shit for anything but 30FPS. AND it increases load times by a very large margin. At 60FPS game loads in under 10 Seconds on a mechanical drive. Capped to 30FPS it takes north of a minute

Anteater

well at least i got gedosato to work again for hudless screenshots, had to revert ff13's settings to default and just let gedosato handle it.

Going to lock it at 30 and move on.

Top Bottom