• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

le-seb

I'm thinking that pCARS will have to be our sim with weather for a little while unless something else is in the works. I'm with you guys that PD isn't gonna do anything better with the weather this time around.
I don't think a single second that PD won't do anything better.
On the contrary, you can bet that they'll enhance their engine with GT7 and that it'll be quite spectacular.

It just won't be as spectacular as what DriveClub does now, because DC really does a lot.
And frankly, with the exception of water sprays, pCars doesn't seem to do anything better than DC, either.

So, I'm not sure I share your point of view, here.

Spec II isn't coming anymore, right?

santa kaz is the last hope :(

so outside of the looks what does driveclub weather do that gt weather doesn't?

-water on car
-wet surface / pooling (gt5 dabbled with ss but it was canned in gt6 for memory issues?)
-snow build up - is that still in?

?

gt ps4 will annihilate driveclub visually, no doubt about it.

Denur

volumetric clouds too?
Probably.

2362210-2007920733-bkxu4.gif

amar212

I don't think GT does dynamically lit particles for rain and snow?

Picture by viveks86

256MB of RAM, come on

Noone knows the true state of GTonPS3 engine in its developer form, we only got the optimised editions

When you look vanilla GT5, before the damage was toned down and overhead used to balance framerate, the weather effects were miles more dramatic than at the end

But dirt and smoke are dynamically lited IIRC, I can't recall for water drops (but I think they are not, because they are sprites, not objects IMO)

Also, the vanilla state of GT5 (Dec 2010, it was 4 years ago) was nothing short of jawdropping as foundation

We should wait and see, but seeing the focus of the Ambiance Team (weather and skyboxes) from GT5 and GT6, I honestly think it will be amazing

le-seb

We should wait and see, but seeing the focus of the Ambiance Team (weather and skyboxes) from GT5 and GT6, I honestly think it will be amazing
But so do I. And I'm perfectly aware GT was constrained by the limited resources available in the PS3 (and I'm afraid it'll be the same with GT7 and the PS4, because PD just can't get their priorities right). I was just answering Wax Free's question, because he doesn't seem to fully appreciate these little wonders DC has to offer.

The rain and snow are lit up by the headlights and street lamps in GT6, but of course Driveclub is more advanced, though when Polyphony breakout of the PS3 ghetto Driveclub's visuals and effects won't be worth talking about anymore.

le-seb

Let hope so!

Can't wait for GT7 Course Maker being interfaced with live weather forecasting services.
eheheheheh
sory, couldn't help.

Watevaman

I remember when people thought GT5 would have live weather because of the track and live weather info that was on the screen.

I believe pCARS has/is gonna have that feature, so hopefully PD responds in kind.

Jilt

It would be nice, but as the guys from Assetto Corsa researched, wet and night time driving is not popular in mainstream racing.
I have to admit, it was nice for a couple of races, but I prefer driving on dry track at daytime.

paskowitz

It would be nice, but as the guys from Assetto Corsa researched, wet and night time driving is not popular in mainstream racing.
I have to admit, it was nice for a couple of races, but I prefer driving on dry track at daytime.

Yeah because racing sims have shit campaigns, that do not showcase weather and night time effects, thus casual players who venture online or do their own AI races don't configure weather/night. Not to mention the tweaking of these settings could be a lot easier.

If they want more people to use the feature, they need to make it a bigger part of the game. I also think the inherent "awesomeness" in weather is its variability. I do not think it should be predetermined, it should be a chance event. Maybe it rains, maybe there is fog, maybe both. Basically making each event different each time you play it.

when did they put the wet surface back onto ss7? there also seems to be a random temp cycle on track load 0 - 12°c?

i've managed to get 0°c three times now with 100% weather:

granturismo6leujo.jpg

granturismo6_154je2.jpg

a snowy nurburgring - yes!

can't get a snowy nurburgring, i tried for ten minutes and the lowest temp i got was 4 :(

snow on spa is possible, but it can take an age to achieve.

to get snow on ss7 you need 100% weather, then just keep changing any other track setting, it should take about 30 secs before you cycle to the correct temp

December – the holiday season is here, and a new VGT car will be added in the update planned for this month. Seasonal events are also being renewed for the holidays with the year end/new year seasonal events having boosted reward credits that will make it possible to gain up to 10 million credits in total! You’ll definitely want to get the login bonus maxed out before this starts. VGT events will also be held so those who are close to the credit maximum should watch their limit; it’ll be a good opportunity to buy those high priced car’s you’ve been holding off on!

We’ve prepared special events that will feel new to both casual and hard core players:

First up is a Seasonal A-Spec event with a Super GT themed weather-change survival race. With ever changing weather conditions, the AI’s pit strategy will also change accordingly. AI’s that take their chances on their tire selection might be in for a surprise?

Skid recovery force is ON, but even expert drivers might find it difficult if not used to driving in wet conditions. If you win on your first try it might be because the weather gods were on your side. It’ll also be interesting to look at the strategies of each team in the replay after the race.

The Drift Trial uses a new system with a standing start, just like in real world drift competitions. The scoring section of the D1GP held on the Fuji Speedway in 2014 has been recreated for the event. Cars that can enter the event are limited to those that have officially participated in the D1GP or Formula Drift championships. How high you can score on your first shot is key. The required lines and angles is very clear, so I think even players who aren’t usually good at drifting will get something out of researching how to do this right. The second standing start Drift Competition is a drift section on the Silverstone Circuit using commercial cars. The pole on the inside of the Brooklands corner will serve as the clipping point marker; aim for it and the high score!

The Nürburgring event planned for the second set of events involves an SLS GT3. The atmosphere of the event is like the Nürburgring 24 hour race, with lower class cars like the Scirocco GT24 all of a sudden appearing in front of you after a blind corner. Be wary of the demons inhabiting the dark forests of the Nordschleife!

The holiday season in the northern hemisphere is actually mid summer for those down under in the southern hemisphere… But you’ll want to rush for the goal line of Mount Panorama in a bright red Huayra, not a rain deer with a big red nose…

http://pitstop.gran-turismo.com/en/article/1129

Watevaman

It'll be about an hour and a half or so, right? Not too bad, looking forward to it since I'll have my wheel back by the time these update.

edit: oh, it's the GP/F course, that's nothing

_machine

Doesn't look like there's any Spec 2.0 coming for at least this year and well the next year doesn't look too promising with PS3/GT6 being already kinda dead. I really, really hope they get that track maker done though, GT6 and it's additional content and features has not been done and communicated really well so I'm hoping they'll at least still deliver on that front.

dubc35

Skid recovery force is ON, but even expert drivers might find it difficult if not used to driving in wet conditions. If you win on your first try it might be because the weather gods were on your side. It’ll also be interesting to look at the strategies of each team in the replay after the race.

Fuck you PD. Why is it so difficult to make it optional? You could default it on and people who don't want it can turn it off. Is it that difficult?

head explode.gif

skid force and low grip are the devil's work.

course maker must be coming this update, kazzie said it was in beta how many months ago?

sierra course maker track has since been released and is in full working order

it's time to unleash the beast

also hoping for a full set of arcade race setup options, including power and grip multipliers for the ai

offshore

Looking forward to that survival one. Can't even remember whether it was GT5 or GT6 that a really good challenge one once with weather change. Wish they'd do more of it.

It'll be about an hour and a half or so, right? Not too bad, looking forward to it since I'll have my wheel back by the time these update.

edit: oh, it's the GP/F course, that's nothing

Oh, the short course. Sign me up. Yes amar212, I do drive for a living. Married with kids too so 1 1/2 hours or whatever is too long for me.

amar212

Oh, the short course. Sign me up. Yes amar212, I do drive for a living. Married with kids too so 1 1/2 hours or whatever is too long for me.

It was a simple joke about your nick and connection to subject. Please do not find it serious, I was kidding :)

Welcome to DrivinGAF!

Season 1:

Starts: December 17, 2014 after the online maintenance for the ver. 1.15 update.
Ends: January 8, 2015 at 12:00 JST

- A-Spec Race (1 event)
- Time Trials (2 events)
- Drift Trial (1 event)

Season 2:

Starts: December 25, 2014 15:00 JST
Ends: January 8, 2015 at 12:00 JST

- A-Spec Race (1 event)
- Time Trial (2 events)
- Drift Trial (1 event)

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_8120718.html

Infiniti Concept
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt6TdOLPi4

Chaparral
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN4qBAUCaz0

fdsafa30amh.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah because racing sims have shit campaigns, that do not showcase weather and night time effects, thus casual players who venture online or do their own AI races don't configure weather/night. Not to mention the tweaking of these settings could be a lot easier.

If they want more people to use the feature, they need to make it a bigger part of the game. I also think the inherent "awesomeness" in weather is its variability. I do not think it should be predetermined, it should be a chance event. Maybe it rains, maybe there is fog, maybe both. Basically making each event different each time you play it.

Co-signed.

I really don't understand how is it possible "they" don't get this. It's freakin' obvious.

Watevaman

The Chaparral is insane. The engine is quiet with a clicking sound (like you're lighting a grill) and I was going so fast coming out of the HSR tunnel that I ran into the pit entrance because I couldn't see.

Can't wait to give it a go around the Nordschleife.

Mazda Vision GT is included in 1.15 car list:

0833 - VIZIV GT Vision Gran Turismo
0834 -
0835 - TS030 Hybrid '12
0836 - NISSAN CONCEPT 2020 Vision Gran Turismo
0837 - DP-100 VGT
0838 - GT-R NISMO '14
0839 - FT-1 graphite
083A - FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo
083B - Chaparral 2X
083C -
083D -
083E -
083F -
0840 -
0841 -
0842 - M4 M Performance Edition
0843 -
0844 -
0845 - Infiniti Concept
0846 - LM55 Vision Gran Turismo

nan0

Am I out of my mind, or are there Christmas songs playing as menu background music now? I could swear that "Silent Night" is playing currently...

So Alpine and Mazda to be the next two vision cars.

Mazda is in the car list and the Alpine has a slot prepared in the Vision GT section.

Somebody on another forum pulled the Mazda data from the spec database and it's slated for a 2014 release?
mazda_lm55_vision_gt_14 (LM55 Vision Gran Turismo): Body: 0x0846 / Chassis: 0x4DB7

Double update this month? I knew Santa Kaz would deliver me Spec II for Christmas..

Mazda Vision GT:

mazda_lm55_vision_gt_14.A fusion of speed and elegance, aimed at an overall victory at the Le Mans 24hrs.

mazda_lm55_vision_gt_14.The Vision Gran Turismo project is the setting for the world's best automakers to develop concept cars for motorsports fanatics. The Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo pushes the boundaries at the intersection of technology and design.

This is not your traditional Mazda but a vision of the future with a healthy dose of respect for the past. It's the product of setting your sights on outright victory at the world's most demanding endurance race, the famed 24 Heures du Mans. For the design of the Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo, the Mazda Design team blended agility with elegance. Its dynamic silhouette is drawn with sensual forms inspired by Mazda's Kodo design philosophy. Even the shape of the front grille is an interpretation of the Mazda signature front end developed for its production vehicles.

The stance of the Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo, reminiscent of the famed 787 B that took overall victory at the 1991 24 Hours of Le Mans, is powerful yet graceful. The Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo barely tips the scale with lightweight, carbon fibre components, including a monocoque chassis clad in striking atmospheric-white paint. Pair this with advanced drive train technology that offers the epitome of power, efficiency and durability and the result is an exceptional power to weight ratio exceeding that of most cars in its class.

The multilink pushrod independent suspension, with front and rear adjustable dampers, reflects a long-standing racing tradition at Mazda. The viscous coupling centre diff with electro-magnetic clutch ensures ideal traction. And, only when absolutely necessary, the Mazdaspeed developed carbon fibre high-performance dual circuit brake system guarantees excellent stopping power. The Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo is Mazda's vision of the future born of their unrelenting challenger spirit.

Top Bottom