• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh right, that's a new one on me - I know some of the tracks are based off real locations (I've seen photos of the Kyle and Atlantic road before) but I don't know how close the tracks are to the actual roads.Do you know if the rest of that track is like the surrounding area?

Not sure, I learned about that tunnel on a short documentary that aired on Science Channel about the construction. It's 15 milies long and those lights are what keeps you focused and awake.

Vaga

Am I the only one who never noticed until now that the cars get dirtier in time, even in the fucking rain? WTF!!!

izH2HjsMGnqOt.jpg

ibzyvjHgJOrvX1.jpg

ibtcbxVUJFlcHA.jpg

ib50ZhY70HuIi.jpg

ibx43XCzdjXiw.jpg

ibhOhgQXFe60Tv.jpg

v1lla21

Gonna upload that 9 lap race. Even though I didn't finish 1st, 2nd, nor 3rd place it was a good race. Private lobbies can't get here soon enough. I want to have some 25 lap races with y'all.

Not sure, I learned about that tunnel on a short documentary that aired on Science Channel about the construction. It's 15 milies long and those lights are what keeps you focused and awake.

Ah that's the reason, yeah must be damn boring driving through a tunnel for 15 miles!

Think I might have to get on Google maps & track it down.

Am I the only one who never noticed until now that the cars get dirtier in time, even in the fucking rain? WTF!!!

Lol yep you are :) Awesome isn't it!

Here are my notes about drifting. It helped someone so it might help you

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143989864&postcount=6700

Merun's notes are basically on point here, but since I struggled for a long time with drifting I'll drop a few pointers.

...SNIP...

Hopefully that helps. Because every track and car are different, there is no hard rule to drifting in driveclub. But you'll find if you prioritize using a car in each class (when you can, at least), you will develop a feel for how the car can handle at varying speed, and body memory will definitely kick in.

Huge thanks to you both. Those are really, really detailed posts! I copy/pasted these into a doc for easy access so I can study up in the near future while playing.

Had someone not posted that they didn't know either I'd have said yes you are!

The windscreen also gets dirty in an accurate manor and in the early hours dew is also visible too!

I've been practicing and I've improved from my last place every time status. Here's two videos and I would appreciate any tips or feedback you all have for me. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/YDvHaOnKM2Q

http://youtu.be/Aa4mJuYF6kA

I'd say you just need to use the width of the road more as you seem to enter a lot of bends very narrow - by this I mean if it is a left bend your car should be on the right side of the road then sweeping across to touch the apex. You seem to be more in the middle or left side, which means you have to slow down more to get around. This is why the AI is rear ending you on some bends as your braking more then they expect. It's not easy to do at first (judge speed and turn in point correctly) but once you suss it out you'll see a great improvement.

kyser73

I've been practicing and I've improved from my last place every time status. Here's two videos and I would appreciate any tips or feedback you all have for me. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/YDvHaOnKM2Q

http://youtu.be/Aa4mJuYF6kA

Shame you got taken by the Atom at the end - although that was a demonstration of a. The acceleration of the Atom and b. you sub-optimal exit speed from the right/left just before.

Just on that race: the fave-off for the driving line is always worth following. Not just for the points, but because it's a good way to learn a good line.

As the race went in you became more and more cautious about the corner at the end of the back section, braking way to hard & turning in too early. Same goes for the complex just before it - IIRC that whole section can be taken solely on throttle control in all classes a up to Hyper so youdiy need the brake as you go into the first right/left.

Overall your road positioning is off - holding the racing line might see dull but keeping to it, even on straights, means you have less work to do going into corners, and overall will shave those milliseconds off when it really matters A like the venom hot lap!

psychotron

I'd say you just need to use the width of the road more as you seem to enter a lot of bends very narrow - by this I mean if it is a left bend your car should be on the right side of the road then sweeping across to touch the apex. You seem to be more in the middle or left side, which means you have to slow down more to get around. This is why the AI is rear ending you on some bends as your braking more then they expect. It's not easy to do at first (judge speed and turn in point correctly) but once you suss it out you'll see a great improvement.

Shame you got taken by the Atom at the end - although that was a demonstration of a. The acceleration of the Atom and b. you sub-optimal exit speed from the right/left just before.

Just on that race: the fave-off for the driving line is always worth following. Not just for the points, but because it's a good way to learn a good line.

As the race went in you became more and more cautious about the corner at the end of the back section, braking way to hard & turning in too early. Same goes for the complex just before it - IIRC that whole section can be taken solely on throttle control in all classes a up to Hyper so youdiy need the brake as you go into the first right/left.

Overall your road positioning is off - holding the racing line might see dull but keeping to it, even on straights, means you have less work to do going into corners, and overall will shave those milliseconds off when it really matters A like the venom hot lap!

I know my positioning is a problem I just get too distracted I guess. The AI in this game gets your heart pumping, lol. Thank you for the tips, I'll work on everything mentioned.

I noticed cars getting dirtier while doing laps the other day and jumping in and out of photo mode. The attention to detail in DriveClub is staggering.

Spoo

I know my positioning is a problem I just get too distracted I guess. The AI in this game gets your heart pumping, lol. Thank you for the tips, I'll work on everything mentioned.

I haven't warmed up to the AI in this game even though I absolutely love the game itself. Obviously, they're always beatable (and by significant margins) if you run a perfect, or near-perfect game (using the terms loosely since there's always room for optimization). What bugs me about them is their efficiency; left to its own devices, without other cars around it, a driver in first place will outpace significantly the driver in second place, never hitting a corner wrong, etc.

It would be a little nicer if they were a tad more error prone on trickier turns, and would add to the realism a little bit -- the only problem is, with the way they are now, the game literally trains you to become a fucking beast at playing the game near-perfectly in all scenarios, so if they revisited the driver AI, they would make it too easy for everyone who is taking getting all the stars seriously.

The only time drivers have a literal fucking brain fart is going around the first corner of every track where they are all bunched up on each other. Consequently, this is where a good player will take advantage of the "nice" mechanics of the game, using other cars to take turns faster than they otherwise could without the cars around, and manipulating their spacing to create a little havok to further gain a lead. It won't be the fastest lap you could have, likely, because if you hit too hard you'll get the collision penalization, however, done correctly, and I swear you can go faster around corners than should actually be possible. (On extremely sharp corners in the game, if you get lucky, you can hit a wall directly in front of you, not be penalized for it, and the game will "push" you back onto the track -- this all happens with enough speed to be a "VALID" choice in taking a corner sometimes). Weird.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
As I continue to play I realize that I just do not like the hyper class. I really don't like driving any of them.

le-seb

Since we know Japan is coming in the game, it would just make sense for the next car DLC to include japanese cars.
Now, this Lexus screenshot's setting looks weird, out of place, and reminds me of GT.

Edit: watermark spotted in the top right corner, it's indeed a GT screenshot.

Siegmeyer

As I continue to play I realize that I just do not like the hyper class. I really don't like driving any of them.

I felt this way initially also, finding them way too twitchy but after spending time on the Venom Hot Lap and being forced to master fine throttle control I've grown to enjoy them a lot more.

Just wrapped up my final tour star this morning, 405/405. Feels good man.

xrnzaaas

Hyper cars aren't fun for me in singleplayer tours, but I enjoy driving them in multiplayer. Last night I've had a couple of hyper class races in rain/snow and it was sweet how everyone was fighting to stay in control (and on the road ;)).

kyser73

Me too. Way too twitchy & I find the snap between under/oversteer on all of them far to pronounced.

The only ones I even start to get on with are the Venom & Apollo.

Kweh

What does the season pass include? It says 6 tour events, but i've just downloaded the 2 free tour events, there are 2 more I can buy right now and there are 2 more that says 'Coming Soon'.

Does the season pass include those 2 free tour events or are there 2 more to be released after the 'Coming Soon' ones?

What does the season pass include? It says 6 tour events, but i've just downloaded the 2 free tour events, there are 2 more I can buy right now and there are 2 more that says 'Coming Soon'.

Does the season pass include those 2 free tour events or are there 2 more to be released after the 'Coming Soon' ones?

There's 2 additional tour events to be added to the season pass to replace the free ones.

I don't feel like any of them have much of a personality either. Except the Venom.

I think you'll probably learn to love the hypers eventually, I know I avoided them at first but now a lot of events feel too slow if they aren't Super or Hyper.

The Zonda R is the best all rounder but I really like the McLarens for the handling, the Lykan for the tail sliding and the Venom for its insane speed.

As they are such a handful to control it often means races aren't a forgone conclusion - you can be way behind after a poor start and still end up winning.

I love the cock-pit view in this game but using it means I miss out on the beauty of the game. I much prefer using hood-cam or dashboard-cam so that I can get a real good look at the environments and not feel so claustrophobic.

I love the cock-pit view in this game but using it means I miss out on the beauty of the game. I much prefer using hood-cam or dashboard-cam so that I can get a real good look at the environments and not be so claustrophobic.

I think in-car views will be amazing once Morpheus arrives (not for this game tho sadly) but I cannot use them at the mo as the vision of the track just feels too restricted :-(

Auctopus

I think you'll probably learn to love the hypers eventually, I know I avoided them at first but now a lot of events feel too slow if they aren't Super or Hyper.

The Zonda R is the best all rounder but I really like the McLarens for the handling, the Lykan for the tail sliding and the Venom for its insane speed.

As they are such a handful to control it often means races aren't a forgone conclusion - you can be way behind after a poor start and still end up winning.

I've been playing since launch, I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind. I don't dislike them but they're my least favourite class.

SeanR1221

Between it being 32.00 after my Gamers Club unlocked at Best Buy and having a 20.00 MyBestBuy credit, I pulled the trigger. Figured I couldn't beat 12.00

The weather gifs sold me.

This plays more like PGR than something like GT, right?

Between it being 32.00 after my Gamers Club unlocked at Best Buy and having a 20.00 MyBestBuy credit, I pulled the trigger. Figured I couldn't beat 12.00

The weather gifs sold me.

This plays more like PGR than something like GT, right?

Yeap, if you liked PGR you'll love this game.

IKizzLE

Passing a GT screenshot for a DC one is certainly a mistake.

Well since polyphony and Evo are both sony owned studios, perhaps evo contracted glassegg to do the LFA and gave them a partner studios car as reference??

It's weird how a GT shot has driveclub in the link, especially when Glassegg does not do contract work for Polyphony.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ughh the last race in the semi-pro cup is like impossible to get 1st place in. You start in 11th, and you are behind a mess of mayhem every single time while the 1st and 2nd place cars just leave everyone behind. Very frustrating.

Damn, 27 stars as entry requirement for the trophy race in the DLC is pretty high.

I think they realise this and are going to patch it - Rushy said they were looking at their options a few pages back in this thread.

Ughh the last race in the semi-pro cup is like impossible to get 1st place in. You start in 11th, and you are behind a mess of mayhem every single time while the 1st and 2nd place cars just leave everyone behind. Very frustrating.

What car are you using?

Top Bottom