• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

jem0208

Don't know if I'd be a fan. Warthogs and Banshees normally splatter Spartans as if they're nothing, being able to one hit ground pound kill them would just remind me of armor lock.

I'd imagine getting a ground pound on a Warthog will be a bit more difficult than killing someone with Armour Lock.

First off, ground pound kills against a vehicle will actually take skill. Also I can't imagine a time where someone was about to get a splatter and all of a sudden they're ground pounded by the guy they were about to kill.

Haruko

Now that the beta has concluded, most of my friends list has returned to using their Xbox One for anything that isn't playing a game.

There's some people I only follow (fun to check/compare their stats, etc.), but still. I enjoy Netflix as much as the next guy, but I do find it curious how much it and other streaming media has affected how often people play games.

Woorloog

Banned
Now that the beta has concluded, most of my friends list has returned to using their Xbox One for anything that isn't playing a game.

There's some people I only follow (fun to check/compare their stats, etc.), but still. I enjoy Netflix as much as the next guy, but I do find it curious how much it and other streaming media has affected how often people play games.

I don't understand media streaming. I really, really don't.
But i might be just some kind of weird exception, i don't watch movies or TV, 30 second youtube videos are too long and whatever else...

Wait, why am i here.

jem0208

I don't understand media streaming. I really, really don't.
But i might be just some kind of weird exception, i don't watch movies or TV, 30 second youtube videos are too long and whatever else...

Wait, why am i here.

I'm pretty sure you're a weird exception...

Madness

I'd imagine getting a ground pound on a Warthog will be a bit more difficult than killing someone with Armour Lock.

First off, ground pound kills against a vehicle will actually take skill. Also I can't imagine a time where someone was about to get a splatter and all of a sudden they're ground pounded by the guy they were about to kill.

Not what I'm getting at. Obviously it's more skill. I just wouldn't like if vehicles could be one hit killed because of something like ground pound, even if the chance is so remote that it could happen.

That being said, I wonder how they're approaching BTB. Will the maps resemble what Bungie was doing in Reach, with huge spaces, more verticality?

Streaming media hasn't really eaten into my playtime. I still watch TV during my usual times (generally starting around 8 or 9 and then for 45 mins to an hour thirty, however long it takes for me to fall asleep), which doesn't really occupy the same time as when I game (which is maybe two hours a week these days).

-Ryn

Banned
Imagine catching a low flying banshee with the ground pound. Sends shivers down my spine
THIS is what I want to know.

Something that worried me from the beta was that when you got a midair GP kill it essentially counted as hitting the ground. So you'd end up stopping in mid air and look like an idiot. I really hope this wasn't intentional. If you hit a damaged Banshee in mid air you should blast right through it. If it's full health then you should land on it while dealing a bit of damage (this could be used as a risky high jacking tactic). If you hit a player you should just keep going though.

Don't know if I'd be a fan. Warthogs and Banshees normally splatter Spartans as if they're nothing, being able to one hit ground pound kill them would just remind me of armor lock.
I think vehicles should really only be OHK's if they already have some damage.

I haven't seen this clip in so long.
It's still good lol

Haruko

Streaming media hasn't really eaten into my playtime. I still watch TV during my usual times (generally starting around 8 or 9 and then for 45 mins to an hour thirty, however long it takes for me to fall asleep), which doesn't really occupy the same time as when I game (which is maybe two hours a week these days).

I feel ya. I used to watch more TV when i lived with my folks, since they had all the movie channels. I watch Netflix occasionally but I've basically traded TV time for it.

jem0208

Halo 4 is fun.

Given all my loadouts thrusters, feels reasonably similar to Halo 5. Also means my reflex thrust is actually responding again :p

I think this is what I'm going to be playing most on the build up to Halo 5.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
First game after the latest update...team hardcore...full game, 4v4, players load into lobby very quickly...vote for map then map loading screen...then the mcc loading screen then the "you have lost your connection" ..............

I seriously dont know what to think.

Halo 4 is fun.

Given all my loadouts thrusters, feels reasonably similar to Halo 5. Also means my reflex thrust is actually responding again :p

Going back to Halo 4 with turbo update really surprised me how fast it plays and shoots. I like it, if only I could get CTF exclusively.

Crud

Banned
Halo 4 is fun.

I play Halo 4 everyday when I get off work. I'm looking for some good people to play with. Add me if you want to play Halo 4 I'm always down GT: SgtCORNBREAD7

Big fan of the Flagnum?

It's better than I thought it would be (much better with Turbo update). I'm not a huge fan of the indicator, I can see why they wanted it in there though. It's more that I'm not a big slayer fan really, I much prefer having an objective in mind and I don't like spawn traps etc.

The pinnacle for objective, for me, would be Halo 2 style assault with Halo 3 disarm with a mix of 2/3 maps and both two sided and one sided. As for the specifics of sandbox or flag mechanics I'm not overly fussed but I prefer stealth with no indicator. There's a real art to solo and team skills with objective. I'm super keen to see H5 and it's objective modes. I hope they have more in store than just strongholds, while I enjoyed the revamped territories aspects of controlling 2 to score it still falls short of those killer moments in CTF or bomb.

It's better than I thought it would be (much better with Turbo update). I'm not a huge fan of the indicator, I can see why they wanted it in there though. It's more that I'm not a big slayer fan really, I much prefer having an objective in mind and I don't like spawn traps etc.

The pinnacle for objective, for me, would be Halo 2 style assault with Halo 3 disarm with a mix of 2/3 maps and both two sided and one sided. As for the specifics of sandbox or flag mechanics I'm not overly fussed but I prefer stealth with no indicator. There's a real art to solo and team skills with objective. I'm super keen to see H5 and it's objective modes. I hope they have more in store than just strongholds, while I enjoyed the revamped territories aspects of controlling 2 to score it still falls short of those killer moments in CTF or bomb.

Ah, that makes more sense, because I was about to say that Halo 4 is not the CTF I would ever focus on...

Yeah I'm with you on objective. I'm sure they'll have decent objective gametypes if the ex-pros on staff have anything to say, or at least droppable flags...

I can't recall, but were there different Spartan call outs for Strongholds? I could imagine call outs being for spotted flags, "The enemy if carrying our flag through the courtyard!"

Lots of potential, just remove those silly waypoints and motion tracker. For the love of baby jesusssss remove motion tracker from Objective gametypes.. I could see Objectives being a serious snoozefest with motion tracker in Halo 5.

VinFTW

Ah, that makes more sense, because I was about to say that Halo 4 is not the CTF I would ever focus on...

Yeah I'm with you on objective. I'm sure they'll have decent objective gametypes if the ex-pros on staff have anything to say, or at least droppable flags...

Flag juggling is just so iconic Halo. It's actually a Halo art-form when you see the perfect flag run.

I think it'll be in. The problem is balancing thrust and sprint with holding the flag.

Impala26

You ain't Twitch'n, you ain't livin' lol

Mostly have it on in the background while doing other things.

jem0208

Going back to Halo 4 with turbo update really surprised me how fast it plays and shoots. I like it, if only I could get CTF exclusively.

Yeah, CTF is awesome. Just had a really intense game on a map I haven't played before. It's forerunner style in the snow with lots of glowing lines. It is gorgeous.

I'm really enjoying this game.

Flag juggling is just so iconic Halo. It's actually a Halo art-form when you see the perfect flag run.

I think it'll be in. The problem is balancing thrust and sprint with holding the flag.

I really, really, really, really want them to have a flag gametype with all the weapons and abilities available to the carrier.

Thought I'd try out the new patch and see what a months worth of working around the clock has yielded.

Open the game to a message telling me it gun b k

Right on! LFG!

Game 1. After several fruitless minutes of searching in TS, I switch over to the Halo 3 playlist. Several more minutes pass and rejoice, we have a game! I mean it's Team Slayer BR's on a map made for one sided objectives, Orbital , a real fan favourite but who cares we have a game

But wait...

It's a dreaded 3v2 on a map big enough for ten people. Which leads to a guy on the slighter team to quit. Walking round a map looking for one player woooo.

Right, so I quit that game because life's too short to walk around an empty map for ten minutes. On to

Game 2. Team Slayer BR's on a map made for one sided objectives, High Ground! Worthy of an insta quit in Halo 3's prime but this is the MCC and one takes what one is given as long as the teams are even...

Game starts 4v3. Guy on team of three understandably quits immediately. 4v2 for 10 minuteszzzzzzzzzz. Another game I quit after a few minutes using the power weapons. Crossing my fingers for

Game 3. Team Slayer BR's on Construct! OK, it's rubbish with radar but still, it works for slayer! Here. We. Go

4v2. One of the two quits early on and it's ten minutes of walking round an empty map. Quit!

Game 4. Team Slayer BR's on Assembly, definition of mediocre buuuuuuuuut

It's 4v4! Now we're cooking with gas. However

One guy is AFK

As is another

2 have quit

Oh and one of them was teleport lagging around. They all quit eventually and so the game ends.

Game 5. Switch to Anniversary FFA for a palette cleanser. This is the voting screen

2 Slayer's and an Oddball?

Pleeeeease be a BR start

8 man SMG start FFA on Lockout.

Yeah I don't play 8 man SMG start FFA's on Lockout

Game 6. Back to Team Slayer playlist for another spin of the reel's. BR's on the Pit, first genuinely quality, appropriate gametype of the evening.

And it's even teams! However

One of my teammates quits

And the other goes AFK

And that ladies and gentlemen, was that. All in chronological order and not cherry picked lowlights. That was my 60 minutes with the MCC on the 20th of January, seventy days since the game was sold to the public. Two things:

1) Fuck you 343/MS

2) If they ever sort out uneven teams, ranks are imperative in ALL playlists as a disincentive to quitting. Quitters and BK's will paddle around in the low ranks while people who actually want to play will move their way up given enough games.

Will this game ever be fixed?

Thought I'd try out the new patch and see what a months worth of working around the clock has yielded.

-SNIP-

That sucks mate, this is why I'm sticking with the Halo 4 playlist for now, my last two runs of it have been 85%+ even teams and far better connections than the other playlists. It also reminds me of my solo time in the H5 beta. I'll have to try the H2A playlist and see how it fairs...

Also your GIF story post consolidates for me why individual rank is so important, so you can get up above the bullshit of AFK & quitters or less coordinated randoms on your team etc.

Perhaps a workable solution is the firs 10, 20 or 30 ranks are individual then switch to team based rank after that?

jem0208

RIP mobileGAF
RIP slow connections/computers
RIP this page
RIP TMCC
RIP Henery

RIP in pieces shitty computers like mine.

I've been consistently getting full games on the Halo 4 playlist. Waiting times aren't even that bad
that's a lie, they're fucking awful. But compared to before they're great!

Cow

1) Fuck you 343/MS

2) If they ever sort out uneven teams, ranks are imperative in ALL playlists as a disincentive to quitting. Quitters and BK's will paddle around in the low ranks while people who actually want to play will move their way up given enough games.

This is depressing. This game was supposed to be so positive for the franchise, everyone was hyped. 343 really know how to make everyone hate them.

RIP in pieces shitty computers like mine.

I've been consistently getting full games on the Halo 4 playlist. Waiting times aren't even that bad
that's a lie, they're fucking awful. But compared to before they're great!
I've been consistently getting full games on the Halo 4 playlist
on the Halo 4 playlist

lol enjoy.

If they delayed the game and released it in the Spring, I think fans would have welcomed that considering the herculean task it must have been to rush this together by the holidays.

Now I'm just hoping for that Gears collection in the Spring. That's a safe assumption, right guys?
RIGHT GUYS?!
My life is in dire need of some Gears.

Impala26

Yeah, CTF is awesome. Just had a really intense game on a map I haven't played before. It's forerunner style in the snow with lots of glowing lines. It is gorgeous.

I'm really enjoying this game.

I really, really, really, really want them to have a flag gametype with all the weapons and abilities available to the carrier.

Meltdown? It has an overall figure-8 shape with a large bridge in the middle crossing. That was one of my favorite Halo 4 maps for non-Slayer objective games at least.

By the latter do you mean like Speed Flag from Reach where nothing is changed for the player and the flag is carried on his back?

Cow

If they delayed the game and released it in the Spring, I think fans would have welcomed that considering the herculean task it must have been to rush this together by the holidays.
[/spoiler]

Or as others have mentioned, released the campaigns on the 11th and delayed the multiplayer until it was ready.

Booshka

Looks like they should have never done 4 games. Just H2A SP and MP, then the H5 Beta, clearly the scope of this project was not something they could handle.

jem0208

Meltdown? It has an overall figure-8 shape with a large bridge in the middle crossing. That was one of my favorite Halo 4 maps for non-Slayer objective games at least.

By the latter do you mean like Speed Flag from Reach where nothing is changed for the player and the flag is carried on his back?

No, it's one of the DLC maps. I remember Meltdown, I really liked that map as well.

Yeah, pretty much. Capping the flag is actually really exciting in games like Titanfall, Shootmania and Quake. It's boring on Halo. I know the classic system promotes team work as capping on your own is very difficult. However I don't generally play with a team, so I'd like a CTF variant which allowed the carrier to use the full range of abilities and weapons available.

Cow

That would have been the best option. Could have marketed it into two separate releases with two periods of hype.

Damn..

Honestly, 343 should temporarily recall the multiplayer aspect of MCC and re-release it once it works if that is possible. It may be a way to generate fresh hype and get people back into it.

Cow

Just leave BG CTF and it would be fantasticer.

Haha yes this would be great. When you click matchmaking it launches you into a 4v4 BG CTF with a message saying "sorry this is only temporary whilst we fix this fucked up game". BG CTF is the only game type and has JIP to deal with the quitters and people who fail to load.

-Ryn

Banned
So I just remembered that they have Spartan Call outs for friendly fire. I wonder if that means we'll get friendly fire in the final game. I really hope so.

Now I'm just hoping for that Gears collection in the Spring. That's a safe assumption, right guys?
RIGHT GUYS?!
My life is in dire need of some Gears.
Gears of War? More like Gears of POOR
LY MADE DECISIONS
I'm sorry
SOOOOO BORED

RIP my phone

Top Bottom