• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

For the sake of clarity:

Old Legendary Gear: 27 Light
Vault of Glass Gear: 30 Light
New Legendary Gear: 33 Light
Exotics and Crota's End: 36 Light

Your targets are:
120 Light for level 30 (4 x 30 light)
132 Light for level 31 (4 x 33 light)
144 Light for level 32 (4 x 36 light armor)
little more clarification

Omni

Lamp room. The room with the lamps in. First part of the raid!

Oh. You just jump at the second lamp instead of being launched. Really easy if you go on an angle.

The only trouble I had there was the ogre. I don't have a jellyhorn and I could only get him to about 1/4 health before he would kill me. So I'd buy my time as long as possible, place a bubble on the rock and wait it out. Ogre doesn't move

For the sake of clarity:

Your targets are:
120 Light for level 30
132 Light for level 31
144 Light for level 32 (4x36 armor)

They should have made it easier by just making Light level 30 take all Light 30 gear. Level 31 is all Light 31 Gear and so on.

120 for 30
124 for 31
128 for 32 etc.

Oh. You just jump at the second lamp instead of being launched. Really easy if you go on an angle.

The only trouble I had there was the ogre. I don't have a jellyhorn and I could only get him to about 1/4 health before he would kill me. So I'd buy my time as long as possible, place a bubble on the rock and wait it out. Ogre doesn't move
and the bridge?

Killing both Knights will spawn the Wizard. ./stream monster

As a Warlock I highly highly highly highly recommend getting either Obsidian Mind or Apotheosis Veil if either are ever available. Obsidian Mind is really fun. Apotheosis Veil will be helpful all the way to end-game hard raid if you so desire. Otherwise save your coins for a fun weapon.

There are several people willing to solo certain sections of the raid and drag low level players along. Keep an eye out for those as it's a free way to get armor with a high light level. I might run through the pillar section tomorrow some time between 5-7 PM EST.

Uhhhhh, I think it's B, but either way if you haven't done a raid it doesn't really matter, a full set of new vanguard gear will get you to 30 + an exotic = 31.

Even if you don't have the 2 commendations required to buy a full set it's almost assuredly faster to grind those factions, rather than waste weeks potentially waiting for a full set to drop in VOG which is notorious for being stingy.

VOG normal is mostly dead now anyway to most so finding a group could suck. Better to buy the vanguard or crucible gear, hit 30 or 31 and then do VOG on hard mode which is still ran fairly frequently.

You'll get all the best guns and the real VOG experience without stressing about armor drops.

Vault of Glass armor is obsolete so forget it for the moment. You should still try running Normal Vault of Glass (27 is enough to do it) for Ascendant Shards. You'll need them for upgrades.

Crota's End and Exotic armor pieces max out at 36 Light. Post-DLC Vendor armor (like your gauntlets and boots) maxes at 33 Light. Pre-DLC Vendor armor maxes at 27 Light (like your current Helm and Chest).

Your final setup will be 3 Crota's End pieces + an Exotic, all maxed at 36 Light so you can be level 32. But you can't run Crota's End yet so you need some stopgap armor for now.

Your current Helm and Chest are old Legendaries. Don't waste any resources upgrading those. First order of business is to replace either of them with an Exotic. Preferably a Helm since that's the rarest Raid drop.

Summary: upgrade your current gauntlets and boots to 33 Light. Replace your Helm or Chest with an Exotic. Completely ignore the one you didn't replace. That'll be enough to take you to level 29-30. After that you can start running Crota's End and build your Raid set.

Hope this made sense!

sounds outdated from before the DLC.

new route, any level:
-vanguard bounties to get rank 3, giving you 1 commendation
-vanguard marks, max 100 per week (a new playlist of random strikes give marks)
-in two weeks (or at least crossing one weekly reset on monday night) earn at least 150 marks
-crucible bounties to get rank 3, giving you 1 commendation
-crucible marks, max 100 per week (33-50 matches of pvp)
-in two weeks (or at least crossing one weekly reset on monday night) earn at least 150 marks
in one of the two types, earn 195 marks

buy armor + gloves/boots vanguard/crucible armor for 75x2 +1 commendation
buy helmet +gloves/boots vanguard/crucible armor for 120 + 72 + 1 commendation

do dailies to earn shards to level up the armor
since you're 28 you should do the raid since you can get many shards there.

this will earn you lvl 31. fromt here, crota's end will earn you armor and shards for level 32

more variations:
xur armor (36 light) (bought with coins earned from wekly heroic strike and random engrams)
urn quest (gloves with 33 light)

these can replace having to earn/spend vanguard marks and thus make you able to hit 31 without waiting for a weekly reset.

Yeah full gear that takes you to light 33, and an exotic piece with light 36 will get you to 31 without ever stepping into a raid. That said once you get to 30 you can start Crota on normal and get your raid gear. While doing all that learn the VOG for shards.

For the sake of clarity:

Your targets are:
120 Light for level 30
132 Light for level 31
144 Light for level 32 (4x36 armor)

LarryDavid-faint-CurbYourEnthusiasm-fall-passout-1348523706L.gif

So much info... THANKS! O_O

ocean

Banned
Yeah I didn't add those since there are multiple combinations. In his case he already has two 33 Light pieces. If he gets an Exotic to 36 and those two pieces to 33, he can hit level 30 with an 18 Light blue even :p (I did that on my baby Hunter haha).

I then ran CE at 30 at replaced my blue with a CE drop which begins at 30 Light and hit level 31 immediately.

Level 30 is easier than ever! :)

z92NXSd.jpg

Zocano

I'll say it again, Hard Raid Crota doesn't seem *that* bad.

It just requires everyone being perfect!

Which really shouldn't be a problem |:

I'll say it again, Hard Raid Crota doesn't seem *that* bad.

It just requires everyone being perfect!

Which really shouldn't be a problem |:

Yep its not "hard" if the glitches and bugs were fixed. Just a bunch of annoying glitches + bugs+ lag that causes it to be hard since everything has to be perfect :)

Omni

and the bridge?

Dodge the kill barriers! Two 30 second clips on how to do it

Getting to the other side (I made this clip the day after the last patch. But it's what I used today)
And where I killed the ogres from.

Don't even bother with the Gatekeeper. He won't chase you there and if he does, he'll fall off. The only enemies that will charge you are thrall, but I noticed if you have an auto rifle they back off quickly. It's essentially just peek-a-boo.

Left ogre can be killed be shifting slightly to the left.

I think a good strategy is to black hammer crit the two knights in succession leaving them both in a constant state of stun. doesn't seem *that* bad

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Well. We tried but we couldn't. Just basically read Grave's post about all the BS. Once I get those two weapons I want, see you later hard mode.

Getting to the other side (I made this clip the day after the last patch. But it's what I used today)

Don't even bother with the Gatekeeper. He won't chase you there and if he does, he'll fall off. The only enemies that will charge you are thrall, but I noticed if you have an auto rifle they back off quickly. It's essentially just peek-a-boo.

somekindofbowingathowamazingyouare.gif

Yep its not "hard" if the glitches and bugs were fixed. Just a bunch of annoying glitches + bugs+ lag that causes it to be hard since everything has to be perfect :)

I watched some of your stream today and lag was by far the biggest culprit. I think many of the glitches we see are race conditions the game cannot resolve due to lag. Something that is very hard to fix.

I heard you rage quit? Any truth to this rumour? Crota is mad frustrating.

Well after a constant ~5 hours of attempts, a good decent amounts of runs when Crota was almost killed, were given away due to glitches, bugs and lag..Yeah I might have reach enrage timer and deleted the game off my hard drive and decided to take a break as well ヽ(`Д´)ノ How did you guys do? Hopefully well?

I watched some of your stream today and lag was by far the biggest culprit. I think many of the glitches we see are race conditions the game cannot resolve due to lag. Something that is very hard to fix.
Yeah thats the worst part. Its just frustrating since there is noting you can do about it. In addition the Crota fight has to be perfect and the lag really is the true boss fight.

edit: p.s thanks for watching us scrub it up :3

We are a small sample size in the grand scheme, but considering the troubles DGAF is having, this Raid is going to have a lot fewer clears in the same time as VoG. Wonder if Bungie will ever comment on player activity with this raid or how much they share. It would also be interesting to know if they consider the brick wall and endless failures of so many fireteams today a success. Will they change anything? Not holding my breath.

Omni

somekindofbowingathowamazingyouare.gif

I tried to do it legit, as in not hiding behind that rock, but taking out the gatekeeper is a bit tricky because the sword despawns. And even if you do it, when the ogres spawn the middle wizard is a such a pain to take out without a jellyhorn. Just isn't worth it

MrS

Banned
Well after a constant ~5 hours of attempts, a good decent amounts of runs when Crota was almost killed, were given away due to glitches, bugs and lag..Yeah I might have reach enrage timer and deleted the game off my hard drive and decided to take a break as well ヽ(`Д´)ノ How did you guys do? Hopefully well?
We did it. It took us like 5 hours (3 and a half on Crota) but we did it. It's incredibly frustrating when you get him to a slither of health and then fuck it up. Taking short breaks helps. I went through 35 heavy ammo synths :(

Killing both Knights will spawn the Wizard. ./stream monster

As a Warlock I highly highly highly highly recommend getting either Obsidian Mind or Apotheosis Veil if either are ever available. Apotheosis Veil will be helpful all the way to end-game hard raid if you so desire.

DAMN! I forgot about this thing! It's my MAIN helmet, but since I use Fireborn I never use my Super. But it HEALS you. Guess this would negate Presence of Crota when you bust Radiance. 3 Warlocks and 3 Bubble Titans would probably get Crota f*cked up.

Nice guides dude.

This is amazing, thanks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
After a ~2 month wait, hard mode CE is hard because of glitches and added bullet sponges. I had (unfounded) optimism it would be hard for more interesting reasons. I think even those who didn't have reason to be grouchy.
That seems reasonable. It's also reasonable, for people who are, to choose and utilize this thread as an outlet for venting their frustrations.

I imagine that your making this comment means that you endorse Grave's post. Not its content or tone necessarily, but at least its appropriateness for this forum. It's a level of discourse that makes me feel uneasy, but the consensus seems to be that it is appropriate and even commendable.

As such I don't think it would be at all reasonable for him to receive a ban for it, though it is fundamentally identical to the post that previously resulted in one. I think it would send altogether the wrong message, namely:
THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YA'LL, FIX YOUR FUCKING GAME, it's like I have to rant every 2-3 months and get banned just to make you feel how we players are feeling when we invest hours upon hours and these shortcomings are at the fault of your hands
reinforcing the narrative that this is how it works, that an effective (or even the best) way to effect change in the ongoing development and support of this game is to issue an impassioned tirade every couple of months and then get banned, repeating as necessary the next time, and the next, and so on with the slight nuance of hundreds of hours of gameplay in between.

But if he's merely giving voice to a consensus view, in both sentiment and tone, then it makes sense to just skip the part where he gets banned. And that seems to be the case. For many of you, he was just putting into words what you were thinking, what you wish you could say to Bungie. '"Preach." Indeed, this is a post we want framed and mailed to them so as to understand the true feelings of their playerbase.

I can respect that, and I can embrace the idea that I have a minority viewpoint on the topic. I don't know how else to put my own feelings but to say that it just makes me really uncomfortable.

You guys can be really intense about this game. Like, pretty memorably intense. It amazes me that so many of you are so much more passionate than I am and and take the game so much more seriously than I do, considering how much time I've spent playing it and effort I've spent analyzing and discussing it. You'll... I want to say occasionally, but what I really mean is cyclically, use language I would reserve for a disaster relief coordinator whose incompetence affected the victims of a tornado, the disgust I'd register for a careless driver causing property damage or loss of life, or a corrupt regulator failing to keep lead out of store-bought paint... for a game developer. People who make a videogame that you play. These comments will often be constructed not as critiques, but invective shot into the void as though they're meant to be received by an individual. Fuck off- this encounter uses lazy methods of increasing difficulty. What the fuck is wrong with you?- I don't feel rewarded for completing content. And so on.

The traditional refrain in response to my discomfort is that such comments come from people who actually love the game, and want to see it improve. That their tone is appropriate because Bungie needs to understand how much their decisions frustrate and offend the playerbase- paying customers, of course, who like the product, but also feel passionately about its flaws. These points aren't invalid. But unfortunately, I only find them a compelling justification to a certain degree- one I see eclipsed almost daily- and, sadly, I believe (or have learned from experience) that they aren't principal motivators in bringing about the improvements they describe.

This leaves me largely resigned to understanding that it's going to keep happening, have no effect, die down, flare up again, continuously in a sine wave for as long as the game is popular. There are times when I wish I could relate, because it's so tough for me to imagine the frame of reference in which that kind of thing is the appropriate response.

But I know that ultimately I can't. I've tried before. But I won't ever get it, and more of you agree with and share GraveRobber's frame of reference than mine. I have the utmost respect for that. Truthfully, it makes more sense for him to be the custodian of this subcommunity than me. Times like these, it just scares me how out of touch I am. He will do a better job of representing your interests than I will.
Frankly I personaly feel bad for turning my back on the community but I honest do not believe I can countine playing these raids if these major wiping causing glitches are not fix. Many people know me well enough, that I will always countine to help out in a raid or anything until it has been beaten. But with the current "norm" I don't have enough time to do it. It might not matter on normal, but for hard when everything has to be "perfect" it's a fucking game changer.
You have absolutely nothing to feel bad about. Destiny isn't a philanthropic enterprise. It's not a charity. It's not a community outreach program. It's just a game. A pretty, complex, communal time-waster. Any decisions you make about it should begin and end with your personal enjoyment, and never venture into guilt or obligation. I don't know how much emphasis one person can put on the word game. Its entire medium exists only to provide an entertaining experience to the user; the moment it does anything else, you have to stop, not just for your own sake but because failing to do so will send the wrong signal.

I had a good time with my raid group tonight. I got energy and shards. We played for hours and managed to complete the pit and the bridge, and neither was easy for us. The undoubtedly tougher remaining half will have to wait, but I like making incremental progress and identifying areas I can improve upon for future attempts. I like rediscovering challenge in facets of content that have become rote, and the prospect of eventually being able to help others complete it is enticing. Artificial, lazy or otherwise, I want to get good at it- so I'll keep running it as long as I can manage to find groups.

But if I can offer one piece of advice: I've seen a lot of posts from people mentioning that until or after or during or before House of Wolves, they're going to quit; the decisions Bungie is making cannot retain them as players. You need to make that real. Actually stop playing Destiny, stop talking about Destiny, absolutely do not buy future DLC releases. Impassioned pleas may be valuable, and they especially might make you and others feel better in the short term, but if you want to bring about real and dramatic change, you need to hit Bungie where it hurts- their activity metrics, and especially their wallets.

I'd advocate a change in perspective first, if at all possible. But failing that: not liking this hard mode raid might be an arbitrary excuse to stop right now, but it's as good as any other.

Otherwise you're tactitly agreeing to wind up right back here, many many times.

We did it. It took us like 5 hours (3 and a half on Crota) but we did it. It's incredibly frustrating when you get him to a slither of health and then fuck it up. Taking short breaks helps. I went through 35 heavy ammo synths :(

damn congrats! yeah we had one run where he had a slither of health left. He should have been dead if we didnt screw up a earlier swordrun. He started to move left and we couldnt DPS him enough to kill him...

CLBridges

Man, the pacing feels good in the Hard raid until Crota. Then, it's like Bungie decided to throw a bunch of shit out there just for the hell of it lol. Honestly, I'm not to pressed about beating Crota due to in less than 2 months, House of Wolves, and it won't even matter.

I will say that this fight just requires too much precision from everyone. No health regen, no middle strategy, enemies at level 33 and Crota enrage at low health. At least the VoG allowed you to obtain gear to get on same level as enemies and health regen during Atheon/hard mode.

I hate to say it but Bungie basically said "how can we prolong the limited content we have until next DLC". The answer is, release Hard Raid one and a half month after TDB, make all enemies one level above cap and perfection needed on Crota. It is what it is though.

EL CUCO

Well, we hit a wall at Crota. It wasn't even about Crota himself, or the Knights, or the no chalice...it's the twins that's giving us trouble. Not killing them in time since they want to dance around in the middle, instead of coming to us in the right.

Our team made a great run though. Looking forward to smashing him on Thursday.

So far, got the auto rifle, pulse rifle, and all the shards I needed to put my Hunter at 32. Crota will be the icing on the cake

You have absolutely nothing to feel bad about. Destiny isn't a philanthropic enterprise. It's not a charity. It's not a community outreach program. It's just a game. A pretty, complex, communal time-waster. Any decisions you make about it should begin and end with your personal enjoyment, and never venture into guilt or obligation. I don't know how much emphasis one person can put on the word game. Its entire medium exists only to provide an entertaining experience to the user; the moment it does anything else, you have to stop, not just for your own sake but because failing to do so will send the wrong signal.

Yep I know :) Its just me being who I am deep down. I truly enjoy helping others plus I had alot of free time in the last month. But as of now, I am becoming more busy so I previous stated I will be playing less and less. Which I was doing before I enraged today.

Edit: well i should state it as I feel bad because I enjoy playing with my destiny friends and I will miss those times since I am done as of now with the game. I feel like I made some great gaming friends and will be playing with them in future other games.

bitsurugi

I swear if I have to do the entire HM raid with Eidolon Ally equipped just to get the Crux, I will straight up punch a kitten.

I thought about that yesterday and IMO is NOT RNG anymore, like Vex Mythoclast.

Since AFAIK no one got it yesterday, worldwide, i can assume it's not an RNG drop (since the chance to get it would be astronomically low), but rather you get it 100% after X kills of Crota in HM.

I might assume after 3 or 5 kills per char it drops or it CAN drop.

We'll live to see i guess.

Congrats man.

/Begins rant

This is another thing, I have to be extremely choosy with my characters when I beat Hard Crota. My Titan has never gotten an Exotic from a Raid. Never. My Hunter gets one every week, and my Warlock gets a decent amount.

If I did what you just went through for my typical 2 Radiants I would be inconsolably livid.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm running on like 6 hours of sleep in two days so my reactions and such aren't at peak level. Crota's ass is mine when it is. A lot of people were tired actually. Once we're well rested we got him.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm running on like 6 hours of sleep in two days so my reactions and such aren't at peak level. Crota's ass is mine when it is. A lot of people were tired actually. Once we're well rested we got him.
Glam is leaving for work. Want to join me and Dhruv now?

Edit: Nvm we disbanded.

But if I can offer one piece of advice: I've seen a lot of posts from people mentioning that until or after or during or before House of Wolves, they're going to quit; the decisions Bungie is making cannot retain them as players. You need to make that real. Actually stop playing Destiny, stop talking about Destiny, absolutely do not buy future DLC releases. Impassioned pleas may be valuable, and they especially might make you and others feel better in the short term, but if you want to bring about real and dramatic change, you need to hit Bungie where it hurts- their activity metrics, and especially their wallets.

I'd advocate a change in perspective first, if at all possible. But failing that: not liking this hard mode raid might be an arbitrary excuse to stop right now, but it's as good as any other.

Otherwise you're tactitly agreeing to wind up right back here, many many times.

This is an excellent point and in a purely rational perspective, ceteris paribus, quitting right now would be the best option. Like our discussion yesterday however, there is almost something pathological about leaving unfinished content or unclaimed rewards on the table. Despite not having any real world consequenses for leaving the game behind, the reptile brain inside of me can't let one Gorgon chest or Atheon clear go by when there is a slightly better chance than 0 of getting that one item you've been waiting for. The weekly reset and dismally low probability rates drives repeat behavior and continues a vicious cycle.

House of Wolves is content I have already paid for so there is no point Bungie would take by me stopping now despite an activity metric. Comet will be the time I draw the line if things don't change because this calculation does change for me when cold hard cash is on the line.

MrS

Banned
Congrats man.

/Begins rant

This is another thing, I have to be extremely choosy with my characters when I beat Hard Crota. My Titan has never gotten an Exotic from a Raid. Never. My Hunter gets one every week, and my Warlock gets a decent amount.

If I did what you just went through for my typical 2 Radiants I would be inconsolably livid.
I got the raid hand cannon so I was fairly satisfied with what dropped.

Carbonox

Itching ITCHING for the weekly refresh so I can do normal mode of Crota again to get me items and gear I need. As a level 30 I can't tackle Hard mode.

Running low on Ascendant Shards as well.

I need to level up. Sigh.

KeRaSh

Soloed the lamp section yesterday on my Warlock after about an hour. Getting the jump right was only half the battle. Taking down the Ogre is the real challenge. I got enough shots in on the guy before he moved all the way to the left where he starts shooting and I was able to finish him off after reviving myself. Black Hammer manages to stagger him ever 2-3 shots. Missing a crit and forcing you to reload while he is shooting is basically a death sentence.
At least I got the pulse rifle for my efforts. I don't have a Fatebringer so it's a welcome addition for Arc Nightfalls!

I almost finished the bridge part but a guy whose invitation I refused multiple times thought it would be a great idea to join my game instead. Him joining activated the totems for a second which threw me off when an Ogre was right next to me. I wiped and didn't manage to get back to the other side on my other attempts which really, really pissed me off.
I'll have to try it again this evening. I also never got a VoC so the Solar auto rifle could be my new primary of choice. I like the perks.

bosseye

Ha, awesome!

I managed to solo the lamps section (as a Warlock) by jumping off the second lamp and then using my super at the apex to get a tiny bit of extra height. Took out the one knight and the single ogre with icebreaker no trouble. Got Radiant Energy for my trouble :/

I can get across the bridge by sword flying (same as you but a different route - straight off the bridge and turn left to the rocks halfway across, your way looks easier though), but I every time the ogres spawned the totems got angry and I died. not sure what I was doing wrong. I was stood up by the doors where the ogres spawn, perhaps I need to be down by the bridge plate like you.

Either way, definitely doable solo. On normal at least.

Thanks Dhruv and the rest for letting me join. It was close a couple of times, but I had fun regardless. Next time, I will come with my pockets overflowing with heavy synth instead of feeling like a pauper.

Omni

Ha, awesome!

I managed to solo the lamps section (as a Warlock) by jumping off the second lamp and then using my super at the apex to get a tiny bit of extra height. Took out the one knight and the single ogre with icebreaker no trouble. Got Radiant Energy for my trouble :/

I can get across the bridge by sword flying (same as you but a different route - straight off the bridge and turn left to the rocks halfway across, your way looks easier though), but I every time the ogres spawned the totems got angry and I died. not sure what I was doing wrong. I was stood up by the doors where the ogres spawn, perhaps I need to be down by the bridge plate like you.

Either way, definitely doable solo. On normal at least.
Yeah, this is on hard. I couldn't take out the hardened ogre with just an Ice Breaker as a level 32. Weapon was maxed out too. Did you get crits and stagger him every time? My black hammer was a bit better but there wasn't quite enough time to get him before he started shooting me.

bitsurugi

BTW, i am game for another Crota kill today. Gona log about 3-4 PM GMT time.

Got a few ideas on how to handle Crota encounter, esp the Ogre part, making them less ''lots of bubble titan'' dependable.

KeRaSh

Yeah, this is on hard. I couldn't take out the hardened ogre with just an Ice Breaker as a level 32. Weapon was maxed out too. Did you get crits and stagger him every time? My black hammer was a bit better but there wasn't quite enough time to get him before he started shooting me.

Same here. My Ice Breaker didn't stagger him while a friend said his Ice Breaker did stagger the Ogre. I only have his word but my IB is 331 maxed and I was 32. Not sure if there are other things that could make a difference but I doubt it.
Like I said on the other page my Black Hammer managed to stagger him ever 2-3 shots which made the difference in the end.
I saw a video on reddit where someone soloed the bridge and his IB staggered the left Ogre but not the right one if I remember correctly. Very weird.

I'll give the bridge part another shot tonight. I really want the auto rifle...

Top Bottom