• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

I'm calling it now. This will get reviews similar to Ryse.

I expect a lot of 6's and 7's with a pinch of 8's and 9's.

I knew it was going to get 6's and 7's about 8 months ago, seriously.

I obviously don't know the quality of the game myself yet so I'll reserve judgement, But this is the type of game the terrible mainstream gaming press loves to hammer.

Ticks all the boxes:

More cinematic leaning
Single player
Sony exclusive
New i.p

Pop

I obviously don't know the quality of the game myself yet so I'll reserve judgement, But this is the type of game the terrible mainstream gaming press loves to hammer.

Ticks all the boxes:

More cinematic leaning
Single player
Sony exclusive
New i.p

Exactly

I won't be surprised by the scores.

tuna_love

Banned

Ticks all the boxes:

More cinematic leaning
Single player
Sony exclusive
New i.p
Sony exclusive? You really think they get reviewed and different than and other publisher?

Do you also get critical with people who watch their friends play games when going over their house?
If you sit at a friends for 5.5 hours watching them play a game and they don't hand you the controller, you need to get new friends.
Unless you feel like you have played it just by watching. Then you will probably get along just fine.

Ticks all the boxes:

More cinematic leaning
Single player
Sony exclusive
New i.p

For sure. Some will like it and others will call it garbage. The reviews will probably be all over the place.

I can without question see it getting slammed hard for its short length, no extras and ho-hum gameplay.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I don't mind shorter single player titles if the replay value is there.

NG+, unlockable skins (no dlc bullshit), collectables, higher difficulties requiring different play styles.

Basically, learn from games like TLoU, UC 1/2, and Metal Gear Solid series. Ignore games like Tomb Raider, God of War 1, and Bioshock Infinite. And all will be well.

cripterion

If you sit at a friends for 5.5 hours watching them play a game and they don't hand you the controller, you need to get new friends.

I wasn't talking about me, I just don't see the point in policing people's ways of spending their time.

And maybe, people wouldn't have to share the controller with their friend if they included co-op in the game :p

I wasn't talking about me, I just don't see the point in policing people's ways of spending their time.

And maybe, people wouldn't have to share the controller with their friend if they included co-op in the game :p
Lol touchè.

Edit: couch co op in 2015? This aint Nintendo. :p

Lingitiz

Ticks all the boxes:

More cinematic leaning
Single player
Sony exclusive
New i.p

The Last of Us doesn't quite fit with this.

Or maybe the games you had in mind just weren't that good?

KingFire

Banned

Ticks all the boxes:

More cinematic leaning
Single player
Sony exclusive
New i.p

Sony exclusive? Enlighten us.

shmoglish

Because God of War 1, 2, 3 and Uncharted 1 and other Sony exclusives got 6's and 7's, right?

You are really reaching with your defense of The Order here. It's not the Holy Grail of PS4 games in 2015. Save your ammo for games that will need it.

Yup. Just look at all the Ps4 exclusives. Great scores, really ;)

Joe White

It's means that it's only coming out on PS4

I'd rather like to know why someone says that "the terrible mainstream gaming press loves to hammer Sony exclusive(s)"? I'm not a part of any mainstream gaming press, but I've reviewed games in past (for a blog/steam/friends) and criticized about their length and value regardless of platform.

Footos22

I heavily rewrote the post. I unintentionally submitted it before I was done. Still new here, not entirely used to the UI. Please, criticize my phrasing and ideas all you want - it helps improve future posts.

I don't have the time (It's 2:30 AM and I want to get some sleep) to pull Metacritics for all first party games last gen, but I'm sure Sony did worse on average as they - simply put - put out more duds than MS did. Maybe the Kinect titles evened it out?

That's not really relevant though, as I'm trying to explain perception as opposed to reality - to explain why people think something (and oh boy, do they think it) and what contributes to that belief. That's all!

Might be off a little as im doing this quickly on my break.

Console exclusives, dont matter if first party or not.

PS3

59 games 80+
Average score: 85.98

Xbox 360

51 games 80+
Average score 83.13

Didnt bother going below that as im sure all the kinect shovelware would just wipe 360 on its ass anyway.

tuna_love

Banned
Might be off a little as im doing this quickly on my break.

Console exclusives, dont matter if first party or not.

PS3

59 games 80+
Average score: 85.98

Xbox 360

51 games 80+
Average score 83.13

Didnt bother going below that as im sure all the kinect shovelware would just wipe 360 on its ass anyway.
Proof being a Sony exclusive gets you lower review scores

Alienous

Why do people only mention RAD when talking about this game? I thought it was co-developed by Sony Santa Monica?

I think they offer their technological expertise, but it is very much a game designed by RAD.

But the best tech in The Order will appear in the next God of War, you best believe dat.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
REmake was just re-released and can be completed in as little as four hours without much effort and just some memorization, and people love it. This game? Fuck it if it isn't outrageously long. You won't know if there is replay value until you play the game for yourself. Are we sure there isn't a new game plus or extra weapons or collectibles in the game?

It must be incredibly frustrating for developers nowadays to even consider making a game in the same vein as The Order, considering how the media and "hobbyists" get if it doesn't meet a check list of quality. Do people even understand the difference between experiencing a game for themselves and watching someone else experience it on YouTube? The medium is meant to be played, not watched. So how the fuck can you make qualms about the game not being worth it if you haven't even fucking played it?

My mind is full of fucking fuck.

tuna_love

Banned
REmake was just re-released and can be completed in as little as four hours without much effort and just some memorization, and people love it. This game? Fuck it if it isn't outrageously long. You won't know if there is replay value until you play the game for yourself. Are we sure there isn't a new game plus or extra weapons or collectibles in the game?

It must be incredibly frustrating for developers nowadays to even consider making a game in the same vein as The Order, considering how the media and "hobbyists" get if it doesn't meet a check list of quality. Do people even understand the difference between experiencing a game for themselves and watching someone else experience it on YouTube? The medium is meant to be played, not watched. So how the fuck can you make qualms about the game not being worth it if you haven't even fucking played it?

Just breathe.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Eh, so many bad news means I am holding back the purchase. I had hopes but this seems to be another technical marvel a la Ryse (which I enjoyed a lot). But honestly 6 hours for a "cinematic game". At least bundle co-op or some sort of MP, this would have benefited from that.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, so many bad news means I am holding back the purchase. I had hopes but this seems to be another technical marvel a la Ryse (which I enjoyed a lot). But honestly 6 hours for a "cinematic game". At least bundle co-op or some sort of MP, this would have benefited from that.

...but haven't GAF members been positive in their reviews of the game?

Alienous

REmake was just re-released and can be completed in as little as four hours without much effort and just some memorizatio, and people love it. This game? Fuck it if it isn't outrageously long. You won't know if there is replay value until you play the game for yourself. Are we sure there isn't a new game plus or extra weapons or collectibles in the game?

I think, certainly when you've been playing games for a long time, you can interpret how you would feel about a lot of games based on seeing the features of it, without necessarily playing it. I haven't made a judgement on whether The Order: 1886 is a good or bad game, because I don't think that would be fair, but there are certainly some games that I can tell are pieces of shit from a mile away (again, The Order is not one of these games). Just because I haven't done things with my thumbs, and seen something change on a screen, doesn't mean I can't have a good idea of what my experience with a certain game would be.

In fact, with less and less games getting a demo, games are primarily sold on what you see. You might look at a game like Uncharted 4 and think "I don't see anything compelling" based on what you have played of similar games, you might look at another game and think "I know I'll like that".

So a person's 'gut feeling' regarding a game isn't invalid. It isn't nearly as credible as a hands-on impression, but it isn't entirely factitious either, particularly when you are considering a game not for its 'feel' but on its features ("I don't like cover shooters" -> "The Order is a cover shooter" -> "I probably won't like The Order" etc).

Rixxan

Dude, all of these threads are well beyond saving, really suggest just backing out and waiting until Thursday

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I think, certainly when you've been playing games for a long time, you can interpret how you would feel about a lot of games based on seeing the features of it, without necessarily playing it. I haven't made a judgement on whether The Order: 1886 is a good or bad game, because I don't think that would be fair, but there are certainly some games that I can tell are pieces of shit from a mile away (again, The Order is not one of these games). Just because I haven't done things with my thumbs, and seen something change on a screen, doesn't mean I can't have a good idea of what my experience with a certain game would be.

In fact, with less and less games getting a demo, games are primarily sold on what you see. You might look at a game like Uncharted 4 and think "I don't see anything compelling" based on what you have played of similar games, you might look at another game and think "I know I'll like that".

So a person's 'gut feeling' regarding a game isn't invalid. It isn't nearly as credibly as a hands-on impression, but it isn't entire factitious either, particularly when you are considering a game not on its 'feel' but on its features ("I don't like cover shooters" -> "The Order is a cover shooter" -> "I probably won't like The Order" etc).

I make gut choices all of the time. But this game isn't just being written off by many in here as simply not being their type of game. It's being considered a poor game by some, when once again, an audioless YT video is what gave that impression. I agree with you, but I don't agree with deconstructive hollowness and reductionism in many posts here.

BokehKing

Banned
Sunset Overdrive was pretty well received. Games that deserve praise usually get it.
This thread was about the game's length being short, don't see how it is giving the game a hard time.

Why are so many of you invested in defending this game? Let it stand out on his own. Apparently it's top of the charts on Amazon so just chill.
Sunset overdrive was shit on as well

Maybe people are defending the game because they are interested in the premise.

Freeman

Banned
Wasn't Infamous: Second Son single player only, short and still reviewed well? I think people are underestimating this game.

What I think RaD should do is to announce that they will be including more content for free, like a harder difficulty and maybe some single player, some challenges, etc. This would defuse most of the insanity.

The level of scrutiny this game is being subjected to before release is just unhealthy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In case you're interested, I did an analysis of the 5:30 walkthrough. Notes:

Gameplay include walking sessions, prompts for actions that aren't inserted in mere cutscene sessions (like pushing a carriage)
QTE include prompts for actions insterted in mere cutscene sessions
Cutscenes include mere videos
This isn't 100% accurate, but it should give you a decent idea.

So, here it is

Prologue - Total | 12:28 --> Gameplay | 3:39 - QTE | 1:58 - Cutscenes | 6:50
Chapter 1 - Total | 29:23 --> Gameplay | 20:20 - Cutscenes | 9:03
Chapter 2 - Total | 16:33 --> Gameplay | 6:43 - Cutscenes | 9:49
Chapter 3 - Total | 46:00 --> Gameplay | 32:36 - QTE | 0:54 - Cutscenes | 12:30
Chapter 4 - Total | 24:25 ---> Gameplay | 12:20 - QTE | 2:21 - Cutscenes | 9:46
Chapter 5 - Total | 32:41 --> Gameplay | 24:17 - QTE | 0:32 - Cutscenes | 7:52
Chapter 6 - Total | 7:32 --> Gameplay | 1:42 - QTE | 0.18 - Cutscenes | 5:32
Chapter 7 - Total | 6:41 ---> Cutscenes | 6:41
Chapter 8 - Total | 21:37 --> Gameplay | 9:30 - QTE | 0:07 - Cutscenes | 12:00
Chapter 9 - Total | 43:07 --> Gameplay | 31:13 - QTE | 1:13 - Cutscenes | 10:41
Chapter 10 - Total | 4:07 --> Cutscenes | 4:07
Chapter 11 - Total | 44:15 --> Gameplay | 33:13 - QTE | 1:07 - Cutscenes | 9:55
Chapter 12 - Total | 5:37 --> Cutscenes | 5:37
Chapter 13 - Total | 5:17 --> Gameplay | 0:04 - Cutscenes | 5:13
Chapter 14 - Total | 5:31 --> Gameplay | 1:47 - Cutscenes | 3:44
Chapter 15 - Total | 10:48 --> Gameplay | 9:24 - Cutscenes | 1:24
Chapter 16 - Total | 9:23 --> QTE | 2:33 - Cutscenes | 6:50

Walkthrough - Total | 325:17 --> Gameplay | 186:48 - QTE | 11:03 - Cutscenes | 127:26

Percentages
Gameplay | 57,43%
QTE | 3.4%
Cutscenes | 39.17%

BokehKing

Banned
Wasn't Infamous: Second Son single player only, short and still reviewed well? I think people are underestimating this game.

What I think RaD should do is to announce that they will be including more content for free, like a harder difficulty and maybe some single player, some challenges, etc. This would defuse most of the insanity.
People want multiplayer and co-op
They want to play it with friendd
They want gears if war with mustaches.

Yet RAD could hardly get the single player done.
Again, expectations of gamers are too damn high

Grady

I think it will be a mixed bag. Some good, some bad. The bad ones will no doubt be the ones that get the attention though. Im pretty positive about that.

I think it will fair well, maybe 8.0 to 8.5 by critics. User scores will be 2.3 though. See that coming from a mile away.

PBY

Banned

Gameplay include walking sessions, prompts for actions that aren't inserted in mere cutscene sessions (like pushing a carriage)

So, here it is

Walkthrough - Total | 325:17 --> Gameplay | 186:48 - QTE | 11:03 - Cutscenes | 127:26

Percentages
Gameplay | 57,43%
QTE | 3.4%
Cutscenes | 39.17%

Oh damn. People weren't exaggerating about how many cutscenes there are.

So, here it is

Percentages
Gameplay | 57,43%
QTE | 3.4%
Cutscenes | 39.17%

So basically it's 3 hours of gameplay for $60.

Pass.

EDIT: Also had to edit this in: If this is true, it will cause a tumultous shitstorm.

Rixa

So basically it's 3 hours of gameplay for $60.

Pass.

EDIT: Also had to edit this in: If this is true, it will cause a tumultous shitstorm.

Well if you want to play it on Easy difficult setting and arent picking up stuff & storming your way through. In that case its a wrong game for you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I thought you were 'super into writing'. Going by your posts in this thread (I don't need to read any of your work to make this decision) I would say your writing is shit and you should give it up.

image.php

Nice looking game, top-heavy on the cinematics, decent start to the story but rapidly becomes shit until that terrible ending, gameplay is pretty awful. Quite short as well. Lol.

Top Bottom