• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

Alienous

It is? I thought links to impressions were being posted here before. It doesn't really give away anything about the plot. I removed it anyway.

I think that reveals something happening in the game that isn't a given, but it's not up to me to say if it's allowed.

It comes from last gen. Microsoft did (and still does, really) put out more consistent 8 out of 10+ titles than Sony. Sony put out a lot of experimental (and some straight-up bad) games. Think Puppeteer (or, as far as bad goes, Twisted Metal or GoW:A).

The real kicker - the thing that nailed this perception in for people - is that the AAA hitters were few and far between. Those heavy hitters are reviewed and respected as the titans they are, but the spacing was a bit weird. You would, occasionally, have an entire year without a honest-to-god AAA title from Sony. That is ok, mind you - the people complaining about the reviews Sony gets surely liked what was being released (I did!) - but the reviewing press largely doesn't. IGN, GameInformer, etc all live and die off AAA. It's where they get the traffic, the ads, the everything from.

Experimental games generally don't review as well as a solid AAA title, even when you remove all else. Combine that with the sorry state of GT as of late and you get a lot of 'reviewers are being unkind' stuff, when it's really just unintentional bias on the part of the press towards the 'big' and the 'AAA' and a preference on internet fourms for anything but.

Sony's been better about making stuff with a greater chance of mainstream appeal this gen, though!

This is just about the most bullshit in a comment I've seen. come on now I can't people who come here acting like everyone else is retarded or something, stop insulting people's integrity.

enMTW

Banned
This is just about the most bullshit in a comment I've seen. come on now I can't people who come here acting like everyone else is retarded or something, stop insulting people's integrity.

I'm sorry you disagree with me? The second sentence is a fragment (and is unreadable, but I will say that I did not - in any way at all - act like people are 'retarded' or otherwise even use ableist phrasing like that) and I don't understand what you are even saying in the last one. I am not 'insulting anyone's integrity', I'm trying to explain what people are not me see and why they see it/what bit of truth there is in said view.

Anyway, this is super-off topic and I probably shouldn't have replied to that one post in the first place.

Apathy

Question- If you know that the game is only a few hours before purchasing it... Why not just wait a few months for the inevitable price drop (or just get it used a month after it comes out for much less)?

Well indirectly saying that a games length determines it's value to you, regardless of how good or bad it is. That might be a big reason. Aside from that nothing stops you from doing it and you've got every right to do so. But to say "oh I'm only going to get 8 hours for $60 dollars" is a weird way to quantify time vs money spent.

It comes from last gen. Microsoft did (and still does, really) put out more consistent 8 out of 10+ titles than Sony. Sony put out a lot of experimental (and some straight-up bad) games. Think Puppeteer (or, as far as bad goes, Twisted Metal or GoW:A).

The real kicker - the thing that nailed this perception in for people - is that the AAA hitters were few and far between. Those heavy hitters are reviewed and respected as the titans they are, but the spacing was a bit weird. You would, occasionally, have an entire year without a honest-to-god AAA title from Sony. That is ok, mind you - the people complaining about the reviews Sony gets surely liked what was being released (I did!) - but the reviewing press largely doesn't. IGN, GameInformer, etc all live and die off AAA. It's where they get the traffic, the ads, the everything from.

Experimental games generally don't review as well as a solid AAA title, even when you remove all else. Combine that with the sorry state of GT as of late and you get a lot of 'reviewers are being unkind' stuff, when it's really just unintentional bias on the part of the press towards the 'big' and the 'AAA' and a preference on internet fourms for anything but.

Sony's been better about making stuff with a greater chance of mainstream appeal this gen, though!

You're right, Microsoft does pump out those amazing 8-9 games more often than Sony. Just like MCC. That game totally deserves the 9's and 10's. Flawlessly executed and polished to a glossy finish, Btw this is my way to show you review scores mean jack shit. Id rather have a company that takes creative risks than have the same halo, gears, forza pumped out yearly and get a score on name alone. GT, GoW and anything ND do are million dollar sellers, and the mainstream is well aware of them.

enMTW

Banned
You're right, Microsoft does pump out those amazing 8-9 games more often than Sony. Just like MCC. That game totally deserves the 9's and 10's. Flawlessly executed and polished to a glossy finish, Btw this is my way to show you review scores mean jack shit. Id rather have a company that takes creative risks than have the same halo, gears, forza pumped out yearly and get a score on name alone. GT, GoW and anything ND do are million dollar sellers, and the mainstream is well aware of them.

You're being console-warriory. This has nothing to do with what MS actually does, just perception on the part of the people I was talking about. You're arguing against the views detailed in the post instead of realizing - as I explicitly state in the post itself - that I am not presenting either reality or what I think. I'm drawing a picture of what the people who feel that Sony takes unfair of abuse see.

How you come away from that post thinking I'm drugging in favor of the press or review scores is beyond me. Don't I pretty much state that they spin up hype cycles for games and pretty much universally feature a bias for the AAA?

Is it really impossible to talk about anything with even a slight degree of nuance without having to qualify the statement fifty times? It's tiring. Also, some punctuation please?

I'm going to sleep. I'll check back in the morning and see if people have managed to understand what I was saying yet :/

Positive result from all of this: I'll never dare respond to someone going a bit off-topic again, as it apparently spirals out in to two pages of off-topic crap every time I do it.

Apathy

You're being console-warriory. This has nothing to do with what MS actually does, just perception on the part of the people I was talking about. Is it really impossible to talk about anything with even a slight degree of nuance without having to qualify the statement fifty times? It's tiring. Also, some punctuation please?

You can't sidestep an actual complain by claiming everyone who contests your stance a "console warrior". Yes I'll get right on punctuation. Thanks for that. Good rebuttal. Oh wait am I going too far? Guess only arguments against your stance with proper punctuations are valid.

Stop being anal about something as meaningless as punctuation

why dont spoil the game?
now i know there is something about the final boss
seriously.fucking annoying
Especially for a game thats not even out yet. Its not like we can go get the game and see for ourselves. People spoil themselves by watching youtube videos then talk about shit openly like its no big deal. Its a real dickish thing to do.
About the ending too, of all things.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Especially for a game thats not even out yet. Its not like we can go get the game and see for ourselves. People spoil themselves by watching youtube videos then talk about shit openly like its no big deal. Its a real dickish thing to do.

You can't put an end to it unless you force your community managers to sit at their desk searching for leaked footage every second of the day. I always think their CM is someone lazy (no offence) and they aren't even looking into it. If I was a developer I'd be pissed. Shout out a tweet or a response to a social media website and say, "hey, your game that's not out yet is being shown off for free". I think it could be done a bit better, but I don't know what they're actually doing. They work extremely hard to make the product, then they post pics of their can of beer, and they call it good. While this is happening all their hard work is on someone's YouTube or social media being poked at no extra charge. Sure Halo and GTA are watched over closely. CoD was, but they have billionaire stockholders who don't even game awaiting for a return percent of a profit on those games.

The Order 1886 Twitter feed could be talking about their sockboy in some other country while some guy in another state who didn't pay a cent and just watched the entire thing online. LOL

Halo it's totally different. Nacho bags and Mountain Dew get it locked in a safe and those internet leaks are kicked off that very instant. You're talking money into the pot that keeps the whole thing from boiling over. They got more staff than a company probably needs to do business.

With my pedigree and pure wit I bet I could lock down leaked content faster than some CM's out there. I guarantee it. There's talent here that goes beyond a typical staff member. It's just based on curtain calls and hitting some prestige employment getup.

Conduit

Banned

This is clearly off topic post.

Isn't PS3 exclusives had a higher average review scores than X360 exclusives on Metacritic? IIRC - YES!

You can't put an end to it unless you force your community managers to sit at their desk searching for leaked footage every second of the day. I always think their CM is someone lazy (no offence) and they aren't even looking into it. If I was a developer I'd be pissed. Shout out a tweet or a response to a social media website and say, "hey, your game that's not out yet is being shown off for free". I think it could be done a bit better, but I don't know what they're actually doing. They work extremely hard to make the product, then they post pics of their can of beer, and they call it good. While this is happening all their hard work is on someone's YouTube or social media being poked at no extra charge. Sure Halo and GTA are watched over closely. CoD was, but they have billionaire stockholders who don't even game awaiting for a return percent of a profit on those games.

The Order 1886 Twitter feed could be talking about their sockboy in some other country while some guy in another state didn't pay a scent and just watched the entire thing online. LOL

Halo it's totally different. Nacho bags and Mountain Dew get it locked in a safe and those internet leaks are kicked off that very instant. You're talking money into the pot that keeps the whole thing from boiling over. They got more staff than a company probably needs to do business.

With my college degree and pure wit I bet I could lock down leaked content faster than some CM's out there. I guarantee it.
Their CM is a member here on GAF and has been posting regularly in The Order threads. I'm sure they know about these videos. They must not be able to do anything about it.

Their CM is a member here on GAF and has been posting regularly in The Order threads. I'm sure they know about these videos. They must not be able to do anything about it.

They could file a DMCA takedown if they wanted. It's pretty easy to do. It might cause more PR trouble than it's worth though, and maybe they don't think it's that big a deal.

Loakum

Banned
People...what are we doing? We now have a basic idea of length of the game (The Order 1886), 8 - 10 hours. We now have impressions of numerous folks liking it. The game isn't even released yet (officially) so I'm at a loss of all....of this hysteria? It saddens me that the "look at what ya'll did to Microsoft released games, so we're gonna do this to Sony released games.." type comments. What does this accomplish? Folks who love the games on their respective consoles of choice are gonna love them regardless. I really don't get all the feeding frenzy in wanting to tear a game down, you never even played...nor have any desire to play. I can understand being critical of a released game that is unpolished/buggy/broken, or infested with microtransactions, then those will be legit reasons for concern. But what we have here mostly, is a gleeful delight in tearing down a game, you had no desire to purchase just because you don't like "story driven games, especially on THAT console". Come on, we gotta be better than this.

Moze

Banned
I really do not understand the hype for this game? It's a new IP from a developer that has no history of creating console games. Not only that, but this is the first IP they have created. It's not like Bloodborne where we have a critically acclaimed franchise and director to base the hype on. We have none of that with The Order. All we have is gameplay trailers that have come directly from the people making the game. Isn't that what we call manufactured hype?

Am i missing something? I am genuinely interested why this forum seems to be going crazy over this game.

cheesekao

I really do not understand the hype for this game? It's a new IP from a developer that has no history of creating console games. Not only that, but this is the first IP they have created. It's not like Bloodborne where we have a critically acclaimed franchise and director to base the hype on. We have none of that with The Order. All we have is gameplay trailers that have come directly from the people making the game. Isn't that what we call manufactured hype?

Am i missing something? I am genuinely interested why this forum seems to be going crazy over this game.
Have you seen the amount of people concerned about the game as of late?

We still got games like that. I like variety. I think there is a place for games like this.

Oh. Didnt know that.
It doesn't list a DMCA so it might've been deleted by him, but either way it's strange.

A better question: How many views did it get before it went down?

That should somehow be in someone's contract if their job is with a community.

YouTube shouldn't be so stupid just because their infrastructure is massive. They do quite well with other companies.

I think it was definitely over 20-30k views, it was high up on some parts of reddit and other sites for a while.

Though that could have been mass reporting by users on YouTube.
Yeah, it could've been any variety of things. I shouldn't have said DMCA in my original post, was jumping to conclusions.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It doesn't list a DMCA so it might've been deleted by him, but either way it's strange.

I think it was definitely over 20-30k views, it was high up on some parts of reddit and other sites for a while.

Yeah, it could've been any variety of things. I shouldn't have said DMCA in my original post, was jumping to conclusions.

They patrol YouTube, Reddit, FaceBook, etc daily for illegal activity and movies get taken down because it's a notoriety? A game(s) list could be just the same thing if they worked to keep it like that, but are they there to fight piracy or are they there to simply host personal content? YouTube themselves have a rental option for movies, so if someone posts something they themselves offer as a service than it probably gets caught sooner than others.

They obviously have had problem and their warnings aren't necessarily doing anything, so what's the next step? What's the next best thing that will keep it off the internet? Better security? Someone consistently scanning videos or uploads? An AMA in 10 months talking about that "leak"?

cripterion

Understatement. Half the people in here don't even have fucking PS4's and have no intention of buying the game. It's become cool to make fun of The Order and talk bullshit about it.

How would you know?

Unless you meant half of the people here don't have multiple PS4's, in which case you might be right.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Yeah, I think you are missing something.

Ready at Dawn have made a number of very solid games on handhelds and there was hope that, freed from the confines of mobile hardware, they could do something remarkable. It doesn't hurt that they clearly have the technical chops to pull off some of the most impressive visuals we've seen this new generation.

Dismissing their previous games due to the fact that they were created for a handheld is silly especially when those games were designed to mimic the console experience.

So, really, you take the reputation they've garnered from their previous games combined with their technical expertise and combine it with a large budget and there was a lot of potential there. Wouldn't you say?

KyleCross

It's games like this that make me wish video stores still existed. Now our only options for renting is Redbox and GameFly. Redbox gets few games and GameFly is... well... it's fucking GameFly.

Hanmik

the review thread looks to be set for a hell of a ride..

Xgr0cRO.jpg

=o()

This game is getting a lot less hate then another amazing looking , fairly short game. Only that one was on Xbox (yes I'm talking about ryse )

At least ryse also had multi and a lot less cutscenes based on overall impressions .

Absolutely loved ryse so I will probably love this as well , but as someone who never replays games I'll probably wait for a price drop.

Nevertheless I hope it does well for them because more original franchises are a good thing and I really want more excellent third person shooters :)

Moze

Banned
Yeah, I think you are missing something.

Ready at Dawn have made a number of very solid games on handhelds and there was hope that, freed from the confines of mobile hardware, they could do something remarkable. It doesn't hurt that they clearly have the technical chops to pull off some of the most impressive visuals we've seen this new generation.

Dismissing their previous games due to the fact that they were created for a handheld is silly especially when those games were designed to mimic the console experience.

So, really, you take the reputation they've garnered from their previous games combined with their technical expertise and combine it with a large budget and there was a lot of potential there. Wouldn't you say?

It is crazy to hype up a new IP from a studio that has never created an IP. You have nothing to base the hype off.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It is crazy to hype up a new IP from a studio that has never created an IP. You have nothing to base the hype off.
There's nothing wrong with the IP that they've created here. That's not the issue, now is it?

I was never super hyped here but I expected a solid game based on their track record.

Moze

Banned
There's nothing wrong with the IP that they've created here. That's not the issue, now is it?

I was never super hyped here but I expected a solid game based on their track record.

I can't comment on whether there is anything wrong with it.

What track record? Their last 2 games were literally copy and paste jobs. They added absolutely nothing new to God of War.

cripterion

Honestly don't know why people give new ip's such a hard time yet willingly take a new CoD or Assassins Creed up the butt every year.

We tell devs and publishers we want new ip's and experiences yet we kill them before they even hit the shelves.

God I hate gamers, this type of shit kills any desire for me to become a game dev. Maybe I'll settle for tool development or something.

Sunset Overdrive was pretty well received. Games that deserve praise usually get it.
This thread was about the game's length being short, don't see how it is giving the game a hard time.

Why are so many of you invested in defending this game? Let it stand out on his own. Apparently it's top of the charts on Amazon so just chill.

Top Bottom