• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

The Order is not " nothing unusual" That's the point. The game has been bashed since E3 2014.

It's the biggest new release of the week. What else is exactly going to be knocking it off the chart?

A movie can still underperform if it opens at #1 at the box office (namely if nothing else good is out that weekend).

Coming from the perspective of a Tier-3 country (Malaysia), I've got to say that Sony's push for Order/Bloodborne has been unexpectedly big.

Countries like us that gets no ATL marketing ( tv ads, internet campaigns, etc ) tend to get more low-key promotions, but even by those standards, I'm seeing The Order being pushed aggressively by the major game retailers.

You folks have been getting a push for Bloodborne already?

mrlion

MGS Ground Zeroes got a ton of hate for how short it was, but people cooled down about it once it released and people realized it had a little bit more to it. Hopefully The Order 1886 offers enough value to people who want to play it. I like the idea of good games being released, and I hope the order is one of them.

Yeah but that's different. They never said it was a full-fledged game in fact Kojima explicitly stated that it was meant to be a demo and people knew it, just for some reason they acted surprised when it came out. Ok, maybe it was a little too pricey for being a demo but the devs treated it as such.

For The Order 1886, the devs are defending their design choices. Whether that is good or bad will be determined once the game is out. I didn't see the YouTube videos but there are mixed feelings. For me I knew from the beginning The Order wouldn't be that great. It just didn't catch my interest at all.

Thanks to the Streisand effect "I could beat The Order 1886 on YouTube"

I think I'm going to include it in my list of games beaten in 2015,

Yes, that was a bad joke, don't crucify me D:

EhoaVash

I'm playing the last of us atm 6 hours in and I already wish the game was over :/

When you're doing cinematic games its good to keep it short and not stretched out. Last of us feels stretched out

No way I'm defending the order, like hell no will I get it for $60 at launch. I tend to rent cinematic games for less than $7 at launch thak you based Family video stores.

Because it means that things I like have a lower chance of getting made. My preferences matter more to me than other peoples. Not to say that others are wrong and what they like is shit or anything. Just a different set of priorities.

Ah right. That's you being reasonable, is it?
You want to be able to stop people getting things they enjoy so you can have more of the things you enjoy?

Honestly don't know why people give new ip's such a hard time yet willingly take a new CoD or Assassins Creed up the butt every year.

We tell devs and publishers we want new ip's and experiences yet we kill them before they even hit the shelves.

God I hate gamers, this type of shit kills any desire for me to become a game dev. Maybe I'll settle for tool development or something.

I agree 100%.

Arkage

Banned
With GCU at BB the game is only $48 for me so I don't mind as much. While it is expensive per hour of time, after putting 60 hours into DA:I and feeling "meh" about it, even after it getting Game of the Year awards and blah blah, I'm struggling to see how either game times or critic awards are correlated with me enjoying a $60 experience.

Maybe I'll like the game, maybe not, but I suspect I will. And a shorter play time, at least for me, just means I may actually play through it twice, which I hardly ever do.

Don't mind the haters, don't take the b8 m8.

enMTW

Banned
I'm playing the last of us atm 6 hours in and I already wish the game was over :/

When you're doing cinematic games its good to keep it short and not stretched out. Last of us feels stretched out

No way I'm defending the order, like hell no will I get it for $60 at launch. I tend to rent cinematic games for less than $7 at launch thak you based Family video stores.

The Last of Us is a long story. I don't know how you do (spoiler, name of an event in the game, won't mean much until you get to that point)
winter
in 6 hours. How do you create a meaningful experience when it's so rushed?

enMTW

Banned
Ah right. That's you being reasonable, is it?
You want to be able to stop people getting things they enjoy so you can have more of the things you enjoy?

It is reasonable. I am not saying other people are bad and like shit and smell gross, I'm saying that I like what I like and want more of it.

As far as 'things they enjoy', we haven't had a title like The Order before. We don't even know if people enjoy it (it being a short game, not The Order itself persay) yet.

You folks have been getting a push for Bloodborne already?

It's mostly The Order, but there's signs that they plan to ramp up Bloodborne's very soon.

I see a few variations of high quality full-sized wall-stickers of The Order/Bloodborne side-by-side in a few game outlets I went by. ( that shit is expensive, most stores won't do these kind of thing without incentives or given free by Sony directly )

Some stores have countdown posters in their store, signalling how many days to release of both Order/Bloodborne, building up the hype. Also, posting FB photos daily of people who pre-order said games.

Seems like pretty small stuff, but like I said, Tier-3 countries.

I've never seen anything like this at all for inFamous SS.

Three

Reaction GIFs are the simple mans response. If you have something to say, say it. Prove me wrong. Show me what I am missing.

To match hostility with hostility: since before you were born.

My reaction gif wasn't meant to be hostile and and I asked you a serious question. As for your answer, clearly not, because I was alive when this came out:

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2686

single player games have had game lengths even shorter not to mention the fact that the GAF average has not been 5 hrs for the Order. That is even with your arbitrary qualifier of it being "first party". Without that I can name you several games off the top of my head that have similar game lengths

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=6085

Game4life

Banned
Its anti-consumer. Didn't you get the memo?

Next we will be seeing petitions to remove the game from sale.

Yeah. This is getting ridiculous. Look no is one forcing anyone to buy the game. Releasing this game is not a crime against humanity. Dont like it ? Move on to something that you do like. I am personally not sold on this game and will not be purchasing it at full price. Whoever feels the same way can choose to do the same.

All this faux concern of the industry getting tarnished by the release of this product is embarrassing. Are people saying shit like this 10 year olds ? Grow up.

It is not an issue.

Well, i'm surprised how game go well on Amazon despite a HUGE NEGATIVITY since E3 2014!¨Also, i preordered game a few weeks ago.

Ok. Yeah it is surprising. I guess people are also curious now about the title now with all this talk so it could be a plus.

Arkage

Banned
My reaction gif wasn't meant to be hostile and and I asked you a serious question. As for your answer, clearly not, because I was alive when this came out:

single player games have had game lengths even shorter not to mention the fact that the GAF average has not been 5 hrs for the Order. That is even with your arbitrary qualifier of it being "first party". Without that I can name you several games off the top of my head that have similar game lengths

I'll do you one better. Best $60 2 1/2 hour game experience I ever had! Still replay it to this day :)

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=8790

Coming from the perspective of a Tier-3 country (Malaysia), I've got to say that Sony's push for Order/Bloodborne has been unexpectedly big.

Countries like us that gets no ATL marketing ( tv ads, internet campaigns, etc ) tend to get more low-key promotions, but even by those standards, I'm seeing The Order being pushed aggressively by the major game retailers.

It's great to see they're giving the game a good push because from what I've read, RaD really busted their asses creating their own proprietary engine from scratch and crafting this game without any outside help (according to shinobi in regards to Santa Monica Studio). From the impressions, it also seems like they've created a very solid title worthy of checking out, too. I'm curious about your mention of Bloodborne. What sort of marketing push are you guys getting out there? Edit: Ahh, I just read your latest post.

Pop

Halo 3 on legendary was also completed in under 2 hours.

I'm not surprised this thread is huge, it's an exclusive game.

Alucrid

Banned
It is reasonable. I am not saying other people are bad and like shit and smell gross, I'm saying that I like what I like and want more of it.

As far as 'things they enjoy', we haven't had a title like The Order before. We don't even know if people enjoy it (it being a short game, not The Order itself persay) yet.

so we haven't had a game like the order yet. not in terms of everything that encompasses what the game is, but just because it's a short game...since we've apparently never had short retail games before.

enMTW

Banned
My reaction gif wasn't meant to be hostile and and I asked you a serious question. As for your answer clearly not because I was alive when this came out:

You are linking me to a Nintendo game (Nintendo is a whole different story) from before time ((and a game I played when it was released)), and a game that had lots of problems directly related to its length (used sales being abnormally high, a hard time getting a sequel made as a result, pacing issues. the game lacked in story - a couple of hours of 'experimental' ((think Portal)) gameplay is a different story from a brief Gears of War)

So we got an SNES game and a game that lost EA money. First Party matters for a bunch of reasons I have explained in this thread and am happy to do again, but you are being hostile for no reason that I can see.

You asked me a completely irrelevant question ("LOL PUBBY NOOB! HOW LONG U BEEN GAMEIN! I BETTER THAN YOU") and posted a reaction GIF.

I have a thought out, complicated argument that focuses on meaning and value and what a first party should be doing (in my eyes). You respond with a GIF. So, yeah, I consider it an insult.

Lemondish

Amazon is great for predicting hardware sales but garbage for software sales

Amazon isn't great for predicting hardware sales. It's okay for predicting hardware ranking.

I suppose the same could be said for weekly software releases, of course.

In regards to the Order being short...I have no comment. Is it fun? I won't know until I play it. Why are gamers so hostile towards new IP, though? You'd think we're a bunch of bipolar maniacs the way the hobby likes to push towards 'innovation' this and 'next-gen gameplay' that, yet once a new title is announced it gets shit on for MONTHS.

You know, this could be why Sony allowed the Last Guardian trademark to expire. We don't deserve nice things.

Game4life

Banned
You are linking me to a Nintendo game (Nintendo is a whole different story) from before time, and a game that had lots of problems directly related to its length (used sales being abnormally high, a hard time getting a sequel made as a result, pacing issues. the game lacked in story - a couple of hours of 'experimental' ((think Portal)) gameplay is a different story from a brief Gears of War)

So we got an SNES game and a game that lost EA money. First Party matters for a bunch of reasons I have explained in this thread and am happy to do again, but you are being hostile for no reason that I can see.

You asked me a completely irrelevant question ("LOL PUBBY NOOB! HOW LONG U BEEN GAMEIN! I BETTER THAN YOU") and posted a reaction GIF.

I have a thought out, complicated argument that focuses on meaning and value and what a first party should be doing (in my eyes). You respond with a GIF. So, yeah, I consider it an insult.

Your concern that the Order selling well means an influx of 5 hour games is embarrassing and does not warrant a well thought out response. His/Her gif was appropriate.

enMTW

Banned
Your concern that the Order selling well means an influx of 5 hour games is embarrassing and does not warrant a well thought out response. His/Her gif was appropriate.

You can draw a line between Sony actually making money on a first party title and them wanting to do that again in the future. The risk of losing money decreases when the budget decreases and sales do not decrease proportionally.

You can not draw a line from a reaction GIF and anything of value being taken from it whatsoever (unless you consider one taking offense to be value)

Tainted

It is not an issue.

Well, i'm surprised how game go well on Amazon despite a HUGE NEGATIVITY since E3 2014!¨Also, i preordered game a few weeks ago.

There is probably a significant % of the buying public who are unaware of the negativity, issues and whatnot associated with the game.

Its a new AAA game for a console which has a very limited library, of course it will sell well.

What sort of marketing push are you guys getting out there? Edit: Ahh, I just read your latest post.

Tier-3 marketing definitely looks like breadcrumbs compared to core gaming marketings, but I think an important reflection of stuff like that is how 'bigger' it is in core markets if even small markets like ours are getting something bigger than normal.

Eg. I'm still seeing RAD going on a press-tour for this game. 3 days before release. Holding events at snazzy places. I'm like "whoa."

RedAssedApe

Banned
any news about the pre-order numbers? when was that ~200k Gamestop number pulled?

you haven't even gotten to the best part of the game if you're only 6 hrs in tho...that game is definitely a slow build but starts to build steam. its all the better for it imo...6 hrs game would have been detrimental to making you care about the joel and ellie relationship

wilflare

It's mostly The Order, but there's signs that they plan to ramp up Bloodborne's very soon.

I see a few variations of high quality full-sized wall-stickers of The Order/Bloodborne side-by-side in a few game outlets I went by. ( that shit is expensive, most stores won't do these kind of thing without incentives or given free by Sony directly )

Some stores have countdown posters in their store, signalling how many days to release of both Order/Bloodborne, building up the hype. Also, posting FB photos daily of people who pre-order said games.

Seems like pretty small stuff, but like I said, Tier-3 countries.

I've never seen anything like this at all for inFamous SS.

Tier-3 countries get strong marketing push for the usual AAA hype stuff like AssCreed and CoD :/ which is sad

Three

You are linking me to a Nintendo game (Nintendo is a whole different story) from before time, and a game that had lots of problems directly related to its length (used sales being abnormally high, a hard time getting a sequel made as a result, pacing issues. the game lacked in story - a couple of hours of 'experimental' ((think Portal)) gameplay is a different story from a brief Gears of War)

I don't know what to say to this from fear that I'm somehow being hostile. I would just like to point out though, DKC got several sequels. Sequels that continued to the current gen, decades later.

seat

Honestly it being a 5? Hour game doesn't bother me at all. Only thing that bothers me is that I read the story was bad. I was planing on using my free rental card that i got by email from my local game shop on this game but I'll pass and rent something else .

Admittedly I haven't been following the media around this game much, but that is immensely disappointing to hear. This game is being pushed as a deeply cinematic experience. With this and with so many other games, so much money, time and effort have been put into the art, graphics, sound and music, but so little into the writing. I get more disappointed with that the older I get.

enMTW

Banned
I don't know what to say to this from fear that I'm somehow being hostile. I would just like to point out though, DKC got several sequels. Sequels that continued to this current gen decades later.

Nintendo is a totally different animal. No worries man, just avoid responding with GIFs and a single sentence and it's all good. I'm just so used to people being assholes that I have a hard time judging anymore.

wilflare

I'm talking Sony first-party though. 3rd-party publishers strong marketing push are the usual AAA CoD and stuff.

yea I get you ^^ haha I'm glad Sony is doing some marketing for its first-party games (it's definitely refreshing compared to the usual 3rd Party AAA CoD, AssCreed... :/)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
woerax.gif

Couldn't resist, apologies to some of Chrome gaf.

Could get an awful lot of mileage out of this scene. >.>

Arondight

woerax.gif

"even though he didn't get the collectables or soak in the atmosphere". Had me laughing and facepalming on how far off some people have really gone with the defense.

You're on a roll with these gifs.

Pandy

woerax.gif

Nice.

Not an attempt to derail the thread, just some food for thought. This would have been an interesting example to have had around a couple of weeks ago when there were lots of threads about how Nintendo's stance to YouTubers, and how the rest of the industry was so forward thinking by comparison.
Do we think these Let's Plays have contributed positively to The Order's sales? I very much doubt it.

any news about the pre-order numbers? when was that ~200k Gamestop number pulled?

you haven't even gotten to the best part of the game if you're only 6 hrs in tho...that game is definitely a slow build but starts to build steam. its all the better for it imo...6 hrs game would have been detrimental to making you care about the joel and ellie relationship

I don't know. A lot of this is personal preference and and pacing, IMO. Even thoigh I really enjoyed thw game, personally I thought TLOU was a bit too long and would have benefitted from better pacing... but that is just me.

The idea of a cinematic game being 8-12 hours is more ideal for me. 5 hours is a bit short for the buy in, BUT... it all depends on the game as well. Ryse was a good example of this for me.. While it was short and repetitive the story and presentation kept me interested, even enough for a second playthrough.

Even though I've got a wicked backlog of games right now and limited playing time, I'll probably pick up The Order pretty quickly because games like this scratch a specific type of itch for me, one that much longer, open world games can not.

Noobcraft

Nice.

Not an attempt to derail the thread, just some food for thought. This would have been an interesting example to have had around a couple of weeks ago when there were lots of threads about how Nintendo's stance to YouTubers, and how the rest of the industry was so forward thinking by comparison.
Do we think these Let's Plays have contributed positively to The Order's sales? I very much doubt it.
I dunno about let's plays but watching Pokemon XY WiFi battles and Smash Wii U footage sold me on both of those games, and I don't even have a Wii U or 3ds. Nintendo tends to make gameplay centric titles which lend themselves better to let's plays than cinematic or story based titles IMO.

Three

Nintendo is a totally different animal.

I don't think they are because the same applies to Sega (Sonic) and third parties like Capcom (Resident evil 1,2) which made a lot of money. I don't think it's a case of exceptions to the rule as much as it is there being no rule at all.

enMTW

Banned
I don't think they are because the same applies to Sega (Sonic) and third parties like Capcom (Resident evil 1,2) which made a lot of money. I don't think it's a case of exceptions to the rule as much as it is there being no rule at all.

Sonic appeals almost exclusively to kids (making it much different) and Resident Evil has been a money loser for a couple of games now. (also, those games are long - though not in content, by difficulty)

I beat it in 8 hours! I beat it in 12 hours! I beat it in 9 hours! Took me 9.5 hours! I spent 7 hours! I was about 8.5 hours! I beat it in about 5.5 hours!

Omg this game is only 5 hours! How horrible!

Exquisik

Sonic appeals almost exclusively to kids (making it much different) and Resident Evil has been a money loser for a couple of games now. (also, those games are long - though not in content, by difficulty)

You're really contradicting yourself with your posts.

You said Nintendo is a different animal. Why is that? Why does Nintendo get a free pass? Because their games are different? Because their games are catered to the kids (don't even know why this make a difference, just because a game is catered to the kids doesn't mean it gets a free pass to be short or the adults are not going to play them)?

And then you said Resident Evils are long by difficulty, yet the youtube videos posted was played on Normal and all the gaffers that played on Hard reported a 9 to 13 hours playthrough. Hell, I can play any game on easy, breeze it through in a couple of hours, increase the difficulty, play another few hours, then increase the difficulty again play for several more hours and make the game a 20 hours experience.

I don't get why all the games you mentioned get to have a free pass from you but not the Order: 1886.

I beat it in 8 hours! I beat it in 12 hours! I beat it in 9 hours! Took me 9.5 hours! I spent 7 hours! I was about 8.5 hours! I beat it in about 5.5 hours!

Omg this game is only 5 hours! How horrible!

This sums it all up.

Top Bottom