• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
gofreak said:
Ooh..so you can keep a room active even if everyone in the room logs off? Or does someone always have to be logged in?

I'm not sure how long it sticks around for if everyone leaves. I was in a room with just 1 friend that he created - I believe he left and eventually it logged me out automatically. I clicked the room 15-20 minutes later and it was either still there - or maybe it just recreated it. Guess someone will need to chime in or do some more testing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Beatbox said:
If your notifications are set to 'on' - each chatroom comment shows up on screen like the subject of a regular XMB message. If you're in multiple rooms it doesn't seem to diferentiat which room the comment is coming from in the overlay. The rooms do stay active when the orignal creator leaves and it's easy to rejoin even if you reboot (as long as you didn't 'delete' the chat room - 'leaving' it is fine and keeps the link active).

nice - even in game?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, for the people who called me out earlier for saying Live should implement this.. saying Windows Messenger does this.. I thought that was 1-on-1 instant messaging? I don't recall seeing options to set up a n-way (or 16-way) text chatroom via the Messenger there, but I might be incorrect.

I think there was a fair bit of misunderstanding when Sin first reported this, what 'text chat' actually meant... but I've been pleasantly surprised to see the implementation is apparently on the higher end of what one might have expected. Text-chat could have just meant 1-to-1 IMing, but it seems to fulfil what most people were wishing for when speculating about it. Which is surprising given Sony's track record with first implementations of things :p

Beatbox

mrklaw said:
nice - even in game?

Yep. We had a full room and some people were just playing whatever game - pausing and rejoining the discussion when something/someone relevant/interesting popped up on their screen.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
megateto said:
Quick question: how do you watch bluray movies on a PAL sdtv? Green screen is all I am getting at the moment.

Sorry if I'm being rude but why would you watch a Blu-Ray on a SDTV?
The PQ would be indistinguishable from a regular DVD.

The green screen is macro-vision protection when using a RGB SCART cable.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Cool update. Can't wait to see what other features are there.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Hype? It was overblown for people like you to come in here to claim this is shit. Go back to not appreciating anything that comes this way via FW updates. Or get a job and help Sony work on the features just for you. Either way your bickering is worthless.
Seriously, its effin' annoying. Reading these posts make me want to stab someone!!!

Ploid 3.0

mrklaw said:
nice - even in game?

Yes especially in game. This chat thing is awesome. It's much better than people saying, "Oh it's just text chat" let on. I was chatting with gaf, setting up a game with bob, and continuing chatting with gaf as we played LBP. If someone on gaf was interested they could have hopped right in, telling bob to send a invite. I don't have TTP, Kittonwy, Wollan, etc on my flist but we could have verry well acted as if we were. Killzone2 gaf room, with a stupid word made up in that room, while other's in the room had a sf4 tournament going on. The room could be the big lobby, and when someone lose they'd let the people chatting know who's next. All without leaving the ps3 (if you don't have a laptop, or pc right beside you).

megateto

navanman said:
Sorry if I'm being rude but why would you watch a Blu-Ray on a SDTV?
The PQ would be indistinguishable from a regular DVD.

The green screen is macro-vision protection when using a RGB SCART cable.

Because I can't afford a HDTV and there's no way in hell that I ever buy a dvd :D? Turning off the scart doesn't seem to make it work (I have an old scart cable with a game-dvd switch and all I get is a green screen or b&w picture, and the tv sure supports NTSC) :(.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Do you get blue screen using DVD switch or using the composite-SCART cable that comes with PS3.

patsu

Beatbox said:
Yep. We had a full room and some people were just playing whatever game - pausing and rejoining the discussion when something/someone relevant/interesting popped up on their screen.

Yes, this is the poor man's version of Playstation Home: Just a text-based gathering place with no fluff.

Is there a common/official name for the GAF chat room ?

megateto

navanman said:
Do you get blue screen using DVD switch or using the composite-SCART cable that comes with PS3.

Green screen with the dvd swicht, I have yet to try the old composite cable.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
patsu said:
Yes, this is the poor man's version of Playstation Home: Just a text-based gathering place with no fluff.

+ it works in-game, unlike home :p

But yeah, it is in some ways though, a stripped down version of the 'idealised' Home concept, of having a universal lobby that works in-game too. As someone else suggested, like a cross-game MMO chatbox.

Beatbox

patsu said:

Is there a common/official name for the GAF chat room ?

Nah, I don't think the chatrooms are searchable - so you'll need an invite to join in on the fun.

Nice update as usual, dont ever see the point in complaining when its all free.

I never understand why they do stealth updates though, why not just state every feature you have implemented/updated since it makes it easier for the user to know what feautures the machine does have and would help in the bragging/promotion of it, seems silly to me.

patsu

Can you join a chat room just by knowing its name ? (e.g., "GAF" or "B3D"). Or must you be invited to the room once, and is there a timeout period where the chatroom will forget you were a member ?

Beatbox

patsu said:
Can you join a chat room just by knowing its name ? (e.g., "GAF" or "B3D"). Or must you be invited to the room once, and is there a timeout period where the chatroom will forget you were a member ?

See my reply above for the first part. As far as remembering you - you can chose to 'leave' a chatroom and can rejoin as long as it isn't full (or possibly gone from being empty for too long - not sure if they do disappear yet) even after rebooting. The other option for a chatroom is 'delete' - and doing so would require another invite to get back.

Edit - also anyone in the room is free to send invites to any room they are in.

patsu

Beatbox said:
Nah, I don't think the chatrooms are searchable - so you'll need an invite to join in on the fun.

Too bad ! But like Home apartment, you'll need an invitation to go to that instance even if you know the name of the apartment/owner. The Home clubhouse is the most useful since it's private and persistent except that it's not in-game. The Home public spaces are fully open.

Sony should just allow us to attach a text chat room to a clubhouse. That way, the clubhouse can automatically spawn a chat room by name whenever someone signs in. And once spawned, the chat room can accommodate new comers (non clubhouse owners can be invited to join).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
obaidr said:
some one should update the OP with ALL the new features and details like faster Trophies, Browser etc.

I'll do it..gimme a short while..

Just wanna try out the features for myself now..

patsu

Fizzle said:
What's the point of text chat if it's not Home exclusive?

More reason not to boot up Home. :lol

There are other benefits in Home (The items/rewards, the more visual environment if you like that kind of things, the persistency of clubhouse/private membership, playing mini-games while waiting for people to join the party, party management for game launching, etc)

The text chat should not be exclusive to Home since it can be seen as a light weight alternative (not quite but close enough). If I'm in Home, I should be able to take full advantage of the text chat seamlessly.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Fizzle said:
What's the point of text chat if it's not Home exclusive?

More reason not to boot up Home. :lol

Voice Chat still exclusive to Home :mad:

Home shits all over your weak ass XMB , Homers also can dance and play free stuff , cry moar XMBot

:p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just tried it out..

In terms of stuff working the way it's meant to work, between my own experience with it here, and what others are saying, it's almost shockingly uncharacteristic for Sony :p

My worry number 1 was if I'd have immediate access to the room in-game for chatting..and you do. The XMB remembers you're in the chatroom and brings you back immediately. And there's NO LAG!

The pop-up overlay of new messages is nice, and gives a very nice 'connected' feeling.

Anyone in a room being able to invite others = thumbs up.

Rooms persisting after the starter leaves = thumbs up.

For the first time on PSN I have that 'connected' feeling. And unlike home, where I was headscratching over design decisions and seemingly obvious things that were overlooked, everything here seems well thought out..which is nice..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can you be invited 'cold' into a chatroom from within a game? The demo only showed an existing instance being returned to.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
shattyboombatty said:
Here's what I've noticed so far that I didn't see mentioned yet:

[cut]
- I didn't see this 'recent trophies history' thing mentioned

What is this?

Also, when ordering friends by status, the offline ones are listed by last time seen online rather than alphabetically. No sure I like this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mrklaw said:
can you be invited 'cold' into a chatroom from within a game? The demo only showed an existing instance being returned to.

Not sure what you mean..but if it answers your question, I invited someone in while playing fl0wer, and they joined.

And they then rebooted, and rejoined (automatically, I think). Which is nice.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The text chat is really great. Censor and all.

Regarding the Sony BT set, I've never had issues with the volume turn down or anything. I'm guessing this is isolated or should I be listening for something?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've updated the OP with more details, and a slightly more visual guide to text chat.

Did I miss any other changes..?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
I've updated the OP with more details, and a slightly more visual guide to text chat.

Did I miss any other changes..?

There is an antispam system. Post 5 messages in quick succession and you are forced to wait before being able to input again. Test it in my lounge gofreak

Luigison

mgviperman said:
Hmm, some avi files that would never work before the update have magically started working for me now.
That's good news. Too bad my media servers hard drive failed. Has anyone been able to PLAY the videos from PSN on a PC?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
There is an antispam system. Post 5 messages in quick succession and you are forced to wait before being able to input again. Test it in my lounge gofreak

Added..have we figured out if chat log saving is in there?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Cool stuff on the chat. Cross game voice chat killed in game chat usefulness for me on the 360, so this should be a better solution for me at least.

Also, what are the hidden features?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I get an error when i try to send PSN messages
I hope that its just a server side thing :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Took the high def video streaming thing out of the OP..thought that was a sony PR or something, but it wasn't, some third party thing.

Tntnnbltn

Wow, that text chat is damn responsive. Usually when playing Warhawk there's a big pause when switching to or from the in-game XMB and you have to sit there and wait. But the chat window loads instantly. I was quite surprised.

AndyD

aka andydumi
-PXG- said:
I know. And it sucks too. I hate not being able to talk to my team in Killzone. What's the point in playing online if I can't talk to my teammates or my friends? I might as well just play with bots offline. :/ I swear Sony does shit just to piss people off. It's almost as if they just don't fucking care anymore.

If you have a mic you can talk. And they can hear you. If people choose not to use a mic, including one in the box or gluing it to the controller wont fix that.

I have friends who will not talk in shooter games on Live on PSN, even though they have a mic. We have plenty of Motorstorm races where we egg each other on, but they will not touch voice chat in shooters. Two of them as a result of being harassed in Halo 1. So the two of them just mute everyone as soon as they log on.

Rayne.S

Banned
megateto said:
Because I can't afford a HDTV and there's no way in hell that I ever buy a dvd :D? Turning off the scart doesn't seem to make it work (I have an old scart cable with a game-dvd switch and all I get is a green screen or b&w picture, and the tv sure supports NTSC) :(.

No, you TV supports NTSC only through RGB ... not through composite, else you would have color.

No way to get color on your setup using NTSC bluray discs..

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
gofreak i sent you a friend request

Top Bottom