• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Trophy listing is freakin' faster now

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
STG said:
I wanted to add you, but I was told you have reached the maximum of friendlist entries :F
mhmm let me delete some non gaffers
Try now , put GAF on the message, sorry if i deleted some Gaffer

G0DLIKE said:
Voice chat across games is needed.

I'm sure that'll be the next step but for now the text chat implementation is a lot more impressive than I would have expected. It looks liek fun. I'll have to hook up a BT keyboard or one of those chat pads to my ps3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
G0DLIKE said:
Voice chat across games is needed.
So that's still not in there, huh?

Tell me this, is it possible to initiate a voice chat (from XMB) within a game? Perhaps this feature is already present, but it's something I use on XBL all the time

Oni Jazar

Ploid 3.0 said:
Yes especially in game. This chat thing is awesome. It's much better than people saying, "Oh it's just text chat" let on. I was chatting with gaf, setting up a game with bob, and continuing chatting with gaf as we played LBP. If someone on gaf was interested they could have hopped right in, telling bob to send a invite. I don't have TTP, Kittonwy, Wollan, etc on my flist but we could have verry well acted as if we were. Killzone2 gaf room, with a stupid word made up in that room, while other's in the room had a sf4 tournament going on. The room could be the big lobby, and when someone lose they'd let the people chatting know who's next. All without leaving the ps3 (if you don't have a laptop, or pc right beside you).

Oh I didn't know you guys were setting up an LBP game I would've joined up for that.

Dead Space is definitely NOT the game to be playing when 16 people are chatting at once on screen. :lol

dark10x said:
So that's still not in there, huh?

Tell me this, is it possible to initiate a voice chat (from XMB) within a game? Perhaps this feature is already present, but it's something I use on XBL all the time

Dark that *is* cross game voice chat. It's not in there but it seems like they are laying down the infrastructure. I wouldn't be surprised to see it this year.

On another note, I still wish they would disable online/offline notifications or notifications while watching a video on XMB. It's because of that I have my notifications OFF most of the time. :(

Whenever I see people crooning about voice chat, it makes me wonder if I'm just old and out of touch. I do not enjoy voice chat at all. I prefer text chat, it's more legible (most of the time), easier to ignore or pay attention to on your whim. Most of the time, I do not join in voice chat even though I have a good BT headset that I could be using... I just feel silly talking to my TV. The few times I've bothered have been in private games with real-life friends...

Of course, I understand that if there is going to be much in game communication at all on consoles that is the only way to really do it unless every game started supporting kb/m.

Bottom line is these communication features don't mean much to me, I was hoping for more in the way of improved media playback... a better DLNA folder system, maybe a search feature for media files, in-game DLNA music playback, DLNA photo album support, PS3 HDMI-CEC support, In-Bluray-XMB, better web browser, non-browser based email app...

Oni Jazar said:
On another note, I still wish they would disable online/offline notifications or notifications while watching a video on XMB. It's because of that I have my notifications OFF most of the time. :(
THIS.

Turned that notification shit off, too, but now I'm always missing real messages my friends send me.
Plus, I want to turn off the trophy notification messages.

_RT_

Oni Jazar said:

Yup. Or at least give us the option for video vs. games notifications.
Seems like such an obvious thing.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Seeing as we are looking for features we would like in next FW updates, I would like the avatar of the friend who is coming online/offline to show on screen instead of the plain ole' grey 2 smiley squares.

keyrat

slaughterking said:
THIS.

Turned that notification shit off, too, but now I'm always missing real messages my friends send me.
Plus, I want to turn off the trophy notification messages.

What they really need is a little envelope next to the clock if you have unread messages. Most of the time I'll miss a message because my PS3 was on but my TV wasn't, or some variation of that. Having to actually check the inbox every time is annoying. Just put a little envelope in the top right and I'll always know.

-Winnie-

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Whenever I see people crooning about voice chat, it makes me wonder if I'm just old and out of touch. I do not enjoy voice chat at all. I prefer text chat, it's more legible (most of the time), easier to ignore or pay attention to on your whim. Most of the time, I do not join in voice chat even though I have a good BT headset that I could be using... I just feel silly talking to my TV. The few times I've bothered have been in private games with real-life friends...

Of course, I understand that if there is going to be much in game communication at all on consoles that is the only way to really do it unless every game started supporting kb/m.

Bottom line is these communication features don't mean much to me, I was hoping for more in the way of improved media playback... a better DLNA folder system, maybe a search feature for media files, in-game DLNA music playback, DLNA photo album support, PS3 HDMI-CEC support, In-Bluray-XMB, better web browser, non-browser based email app...

If there was voice chat, then you'd ideally be able to multitask which is definitely better than having to pause the game and go and type something up. Which is especially terrible if you're using the PS3 controller alone.

keyrat said:
What they really need is a little envelope next to the clock if you have unread messages. Most of the time I'll miss a message because my PS3 was on but my TV wasn't, or some variation of that. Having to actually check the inbox every time is annoying. Just put a little envelope in the top right and I'll always know.
Yep, that wouldn't be half bad.

DMeisterJ

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
The file size for these updates keeps increasing.

I remember it being 110 MB. Now it's 142 MB.

I think it's because they're all inclusive. Like this update has to add everything that was from the previous updates.

slaughterking said:
Yep, that wouldn't be half bad.

IMO it's very basic functionality that should be there. The 360 has an indication telling me I have new messages and the number of online friends in convenient places. It works great and should be copied.

MoxManiac

It will definitely be easier then using IRC outside of the PS3 which I usually do with some people. i'll have to get a keyboard though

Nheco

Party with TEXT chat? WTF Sony?

HOW, in the middle of fu..ing game I should do to send text messages to my friends and PLAY (the most important thing in a game console) at the same fu..ing time?

It's a joke, right?

Shurs

Was just in a text chat with some fellow Gaffers. It works well. I'm gonna have to drop some money on a keyboard now. I would have stayed but I have to get ready for work.

Add me to your friends list if you'd like.

PSN name is Shurs

This is a nicer feature than I'd expected.

DMeisterJ

Banned
kevm3 said:
Why in the world won't Sony add PS1 games? Where is Suikoden II?

I think you're confusing the FW Update thread with the PS Store update thread.

But yes, we all know that SCEA is incompetent when it comes to PS Classics.

thaOwner

Revolutionary said:
Yeah, real nice.
bdlbon.jpg

:lol
But seriously, what's up with the character limit? Only half of my damn screen is used when I fill up the limit.

FIX THIS SHIT SONY!!!

Wollan is awesome. :lol :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
eznark said:
Why would they censor the chat when only your friends can be in it??

They're interwebs friends though..not necessarily 'real life' friends..so you could be chatting to total strangers.

But the censoring is way too aggressive right now :p I think they probably plugged in a pretty crappy third party library without checking things too much.

eznark

Banned
That is really really dumb. Sony must have confused their console with one that has broad demographic appeal.

Cater to the 18-34 Sony, no kids play your games.

I happen to have the chatpad so this is pretty cool. Question though, is there any way with a KB to chat in the room without going to the XMB an entering in the room? It would be nice is im playing a game and see something I want to reply to, to be able to just type on the KB or CP and it come up by its self.

andycapps

eznark said:
That is really really dumb. Sony must have confused their console with one that has broad demographic appeal.

Cater to the 18-34 Sony, no kids play your games.

You'd be surprised. In public matches yesterday I played with some kids that could not have been over 15-16. Then I played in one later with a girl! A real life girl! :lol She was actually really good, had one of the medals for being a top player (the silver one) for a week. Pretty strong New York accent, but she and her clan mate were doing really well.

Just shocking to me that I've seen so many girls on Killzone 2 when it seems like everything most girls would hate with all the violence, and it's definitely not as easy to get into as something like Halo or COD4. Yet I've seen more in KZ2 than I ever saw in RFOM or R2.

GQman2121

Banned
Oni Jazar said:

Don't the notifications disappear if you change your status to unavailable? That's what I've always done. When I'm done watching what ever I'm watching, I'll just go and check my inbox.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KoruptData said:
I happen to have the chatpad so this is pretty cool. Question though, is there any way with a KB to chat in the room without going to the XMB an entering in the room? It would be nice is im playing a game and see something I want to reply to, to be able to just type on the KB or CP and it come up by its self.

Just typing to reply while playing a game..the game wouldn't know if the typing input was meant for it or not. So for games like LBP, where you just type to chat..it'd be confusing for the game..

Maybe they could have an option where all kb input is directed to chat..leaving it to the user to decide to make that tradeoff.

But you don't have to re-enter your rooms every time you hit the ps button..just don't leave the room, and when you hit it next time, it'll load the room instantly. You still have to then hit one more button before you can type, but it's not a huge deal..

test_account

XP-39C²
What is up with all the complaints about a PS3 text chat feature? This feature wasnt there before, and i think it is better with a text chat feature than no text chat feature at all. I can understand that people want cross-over voice chat instead, but why complain so much about a text chat feature?

I tried the text chat feature earlier today and i think it worked pretty well :) As someone already have mentioned before me, i wish that it was possible wrote abit longer messages at once though, but other than that it seems to work pretty well i think. I also liked that you only had to push the PS-button to get directly to the text chat, and that you didnt have to navigate throught the XMB everytime you wanted to access the text chat.

Fersis said:
Trophy listing is freakin' faster now
Indeed :) I also liked that there is a "-" instead of 0% on the other person if he/she doesnt have the same games that i have (and vise versa).

Danielsan

test_account said:
Indeed :) I also liked that there is a "-" instead of 0% on the other person if he/she doesnt have the same games that i have (and vise versa).
Also you can simply press triangle > compare trophies now (don't know if it's new but I never knew).

Danielsan

Tntnnbltn said:
It's very, very old. :)
Haha, figured as much. I kept viewing profile > compare trophies. Took forever. :lol

I hope they allow more characters in the chat in the next update. Can't even write a full sentence now. I also desperately need a keyboard. :lol

Dibbz

Text chat feature looks awesome. I know it was a massive pain trying to send messages to a few people. This way we can join a room and chat... forever.

BTW do trophies auto sync in the background now?

Fersis

This firmware is great:
1)Fixed the in screen keyboard lag i had.
2)Fixed the autocompletion text, AWESOME.
3)The trophies listing is faster.... really faster.
4)Chat, great chat with Gafers today. (Did you know that TTP is an 'XBOT' :lol ?

Top Bottom