• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
#####

Firmware v2.70 is out now!

Direct PC Link: http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation...3352adc32e39ec5f7b4cdeb8b861052a/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Updates:

2.70 adds text-chat.
Details:
- Text-chat works in the XMB and cross-game
- You can start a chat under the friends list, and invite friends
- Thereafter, your chat is accessible under the friends list.
- In-game, it works like this:

2dl0ifq.jpg

[Gameplay]

14msk5.jpg

[Press the PS Button to bring you to your last chatroom..no lag]

w9bnup.jpg

[Back in gameplay, chatroom activity is highlighted with pop-up overlays]

- Messages are limited to a relatively small number of characters in order, presumably, to fit in pop-up notifications
- 16 people can be in each chatroom. Again, they can be in any game or on the XMB.
- A user can be in up to 3 chatrooms at a time. Multiple rooms can be accessed a bit like this:

2j2gw11.jpg

- Word filtering is a bit messed up right now. Poor Speevy :(
- There's a anti-spam feature..if you flood a chatroom with messages in quick succession, your input will be disabled for a brief period.
- Rooms are not 'owned' by any one player. So if the person who started leaves the room, it still persists.
- If you reboot your machine, you'll still be in your chatrooms.
- Any user in a chatroom can invite others.

Other features/updates:

- Maximum message attachment size has been increased from 1MB to 3MB
-Dynamic Normaliser for music: reduces difference in volume levels between tracks so you don't have any jarring volume transitions when a track changes
- Polish, Greek, Czech, Slovak, and Turkish language fixes for the Internet Browser
- PSN video purchases can now be backed up and restored. Purchases made on your PSP can now be transferred to PS3.
- Internet browser seems to have had performance improvements. Text highlight and copy&paste has also been added.
- Trophy performance has improved

Link: Playstation Blog Announcement
Link: Official, not very comprehensive walkthrough video

#####

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/303/

Watching..will edit in details..

edit -

Here's the cliffnotes, as far as I can see..main new feature is cross-game text chatrooms!

- Users can text chat with others via xmb and in-game
- Users create their own chatrooms, invite friends etc.
- Up to 16 people can be in a single chatroom
- A user can partake in up to 3 chatrooms at a given time

Other:

New friends list sorting options (by status, by name)
You can now backup and restore videos purchased from the PSN store

Sin was right, basically :p

edit 2 - blog post is up: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/01/ps3-firmware-v270-update/

Adds mention of increasing maximum message attachment size from 1MB to 3MB. Also says the firmware is coming 'soon'..Sin says it's coming tomorrow.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I trusted in SIN! YEAH! :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ballistictiger said:
I wonder is it voice chat also.

I'd say he'd have said so in the vid..I doubt av chatrooms 'stay with you' like the text ones do.

I'm pleasantly suprised that they're multi-way chat rooms and not 1-1 IMing..and that you can be in 3 at once! All I'd ask for now would be overlays so you can keep an eye on your chats while playing.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/01/ps3-firmware-v270-update/

Hi everyone, we’re adding some great new features with the next PS3 firmware update (v2.70) that will continue to enhance your connected experience on the PS3. The 2.70 update brings a new Text Chat feature that enables you to communicate online with your PlayStation Network friends. Now, you’ll be able to chat with up to 15 online friends using the Wireless Keypad, on-screen keyboard, or other compatible keyboard peripherals. Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once.

In addition to Text Chat, we’ve added a few more enhancements:

Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)

* Sort your friends via their online status
* Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)

Video delivery service on PlayStation Store

* Video files you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3’s internal hard drive for playback – so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future
* Videos you’ve purchased for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system can now be transferred to PS3 for playback

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
gofreak said:
I'd say he'd have said so in the vid..I doubt av chatrooms 'stay with you' like the text ones do.

I'm pleasantly suprised that they're multi-way chat rooms and not 1-1 IMing..and that you can be in 3 at once! All I'd ask for now would be overlays so you can keep an eye on your chats while playing.
As soon as the update goes live we have to chat:
gofreak: awsum
Fersis: Yeah lolz
And that kind of meaningful things :lol

Synless

Fucking fail. This is fucking ridiculous, fucking text chat? Seriously??? This to me is absolutely fucking worthless. I want voice chat....that's it!!!!!!!!!!!! Does Sony ever listen to anyone???

slider

Back up vids externally will be useful. If you're in the US. I wonder if that feature will be removed for us Euros... I guess so... but Vid Store for Euro was mentioned as launching in the summer or Autumn I think.

I can't believe I get excited for a FW update. : (

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
For the voice-whiners...

1) this would seem like an obvious step toward x-game voice chat..the 'chatroom' infrastructure is there now, they 'just' have to squeeze voice in

2) to offer a counter opinion, for me this > voice chat

Fersis

I just watched the video, the chat its in game ! :D

MoogPaul

I'm more interested in the background tweaks and such then new features. I hope there is more to the update than just this.

jonabbey

I wonder if Insomniac knew this was coming when they decided to leave text chat out of R2.

Looks like it could be pretty handy, though I have to join everyone in wondering where the voice chat is going to be.

I guess voice chat has the potential to interfere with a game's own voice chat system, and that's why they couldn't do it?

I assume memory and CPU wouldn't be an issue, what with the reserved SPU that the PS3 OS has, and the streaming nature of voice chat..

Fersis

Synless said:
lol, you need to fix that bolding!!
Damn i edited my post, you are fast my good friend :D

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Synless said:
Fucking fail. This is fucking ridiculous, fucking text chat? Seriously??? This to me is absolutely fucking worthless. I want voice chat....that's it!!!!!!!!!!!! Does Sony ever listen to anyone???

Well I mean - if they could put out everything everyone wanted at once, they would have by now. If they're not doing it, it's because they just cant yet. It's not like they don't know people want voice chat.

Fersis

mhmhm he said that the firmware has more new features mhmhmhmhmhmmh

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DarkUSS said:
I see there is a voice chat option there.

That's the existing av chatroom..i doubt it sticks to you across games etc. If you launched a game having created one of those I would guess you exit the room.

MoeB

Synless said:
eacd32e39f3a43af816db497fe7565f6.jpg

slider

DarkUSS said:
I see there is a voice chat option there.

I saw that too... and I thought he was gonna select it later in the video but he didn't. Hmm. If it is out tomorrow that'd mean there isn't time for a Part II video.

Oh well, I'm an unsociable bastard anyway - plus I need full concentration when playing, otherwise I screw up. :|

EDIT: Ahh, ok... I see. Thanks.

jonabbey

He explicitly mentions 'other enhancements' that will be listed when the firmware goes up.

Happy fun feature hunting.

In before 'wow, it has printing support now.' :D

Pretty minimal update. I barley ever see myself using Textchat, mainly because I would totally have to stop the game I'm playing to do it. At least with PM's I can get back to playing while I wait for a message to be sent.

I can't imagine cross game voice chat is not possible. Come on Sony.

Agent X

The persistent chatroom thing looks sweet. I know you can accomplish a makeshift "chat" now with PSN messages, but sometimes it's cumbersome when you're going back and forth with someone and can only view one message at a time, then have to close out of it to start a new message. This seems like a much more elegant solution for quick text chats.

Baha

Text chat room during games sounds useful (for single-player games at least). Glad they did sorting of the friends list, hope it becomes more manageable now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Blu_LED said:
Pretty minimal update. I barley ever see myself using Textchat, mainly because I would totally have to stop the game I'm playing to do it. At least with PM's I can get back to playing while I wait for a message to be sent.

A small in-game overlay would solve that..fingers crossed...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Now that the whiners who don't care have posted, let us who appreciate things rejoice. Damn Sony for expanding the feature set. Anyone who doesn't care please post more :p

Agent X said:
The persistent chatroom thing looks sweet. I know you can accomplish a makeshift "chat" now with PSN messages, but sometimes it's cumbersome when you're going back and forth with someone and can only view one message at a time, then have to close out of it to start a new message. This seems like a much more elegant solution for quick text chats.
YES! This is true. Some people can't appreciate things can they.

I do tons of texting via my PS3, this is a welcome feature.

GQman2121

Banned
Pretty meaty update. I'm grateful for anything they want to throw at us, but you know there's going to be stuff in there that they haven't announced yet.

jonabbey

Agent X said:

I wonder to what extent this is just a new XMB front end for the existing messaging infrastructure.

____

jonabbey said:
He explicitly mentions 'other enhancements' that will be listed when the firmware goes up.

Happy fun feature hunting.

In before 'wow, it has printing support now.' :D

Fersis said:
mhmhm he said that the firmware has more new features mhmhmhmhmhmmh

I think he was talking about the size increase of file attachments :lol

JudgeN

Why not cross game voice chat, why the hell would we want text chat rooms. God damn it Sony, your suppose to match live.

Synless

Kinitari said:
Well I mean - if they could put out everything everyone wanted at once, they would have by now. If they're not doing it, it's because they just cant yet. It's not like they don't know people want voice chat.
I'm not one to bitch about firmware updates often, but text chat is worthless for the most part. Aside from the very few shy people who may use it, the moment voice chat comes out it will most likely destroy that feature. I mean seriously I have to stop doing whatever I'm doing to start typing with my controller when I could just talk to a group of people while I'm playing my games still. I know I'm just bitching to no one who cares, but voice chat should have been in the system from the beginning.

Top Bottom