• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dallow_bg said:
IF IF IF
IF
they had something similar to the chat window in Home (lower left transparent box) that overlayed over whatever you played, and you could access quickly with the PS button, then this could have been a little useful.

I think that would be more than a little useful..but that's me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
gofreak said:
I think that would be more than a little useful..but that's me.
If only.

This was what I was hoping for when Sin first mentioned the text chat.
What we got is useless, but I hope it leads to something better in the future.

Zoe

Now what would really be awesome is if they eventually released an IM client that you could run from your PC...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Blu_LED said:
So... that you know the answer before you ask! :lol
Damn, my jokes are beyond lousy! :lol

Cruzader

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Hype? It was overblown for people like you to come in here to claim this is shit. Go back to not appreciating anything that comes this way via FW updates. Or get a job and help Sony work on the features just for you. Either way your bickering is worthless.
well said. i hate these asshats that love to bash anything sony does different than ms.

the friends list organizing is awesome

backing up purchased video is a good feature

text chat is ... well, it's better than no chat i guess

plus them having chat in the menu might indicate that voice chat is coming soon

i really don't see the usefulness of text chat, it would be great if it overlaid on the screen and you could type on the ps3 bt mini kb without opening the xmb

While I'm disappointed at the in-game chat not being voice chat, I'm glad the functionality is there and the next logical step is in-game voice chat.

Then again, it struck me as weird having text chat only. Maybe they'll come back tomorrow and say April Fool's here's your voice chat?

A man can dream.

Meh, not really impressed by this update. I would have liked the option to create folders for your friends list (like you can for videos and games) to better sort them out. Most of my list if from GAF but some people have usernames that are completely different from their GAF names, so I have a hard time remembering who's from where. Being able to dump people into a separate 'GAF' folder would be awesome.

Text chat is irrelevant to me. If I want to shoot someone a message i'll... shoot them a message.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sixteen player textchat is awesome. I have two headsets (Plantronics and the official Sony one) and almost never use them.

I wonder if you can save chatlogs?

chubigans said:
Sixteen player voicechat is awesome. I have two headsets (Plantronics and the official Sony one) and almost never use them.

I wonder if you can save chatlogs?
And you will continue to never use them.

Cruzader

Banned
Zoe said:
Now what would really be awesome is if they eventually released an IM client that you could run from your PC...
in that case install skype on your pc and play at the same time...no need to wait for x-chat crap. same for BC crowd, stop being cheap and get a ps2 or better yet get the emulator on pc.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Cruzader said:
in that case install skype on your pc and play at the same time...no need to wait for x-chat crap. same for BC crowd, stop being cheap and get a ps2 or better yet get the emulator on pc.

Hi everyone! I'm the queen of lowered expectations!

Boss Man

Yes! Now I can text chat while I'm in a game!

What the fuck Sony? What's the point of that? Now we can instant message each other with our clunky ass controller typing? Who's going to ever use this?

Guymelef

In game chat is wonderful.
8 friends in a KOF XII lobby, 2 playing and the rest can talk about the matches in real time.

paparazzo

I think this is a pretty cool update and shows that Sony, albeit slowly, is listening to its users. Did the last PS3 firmware have a single PSN improvement? Be happy, people.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Guymelef said:
In game chat is wonderful.
8 friends in a KOF XII lobby, 2 playing and the rest can comment the matches in real time.
;__; <- Tears of joy my friend... tears of joy.

Zoe

Cruzader said:

I meant so people could chat without being anywhere near their PS3.

Chrange

Banned
The Skater said:
I think this is a pretty cool update and shows that Sony, albeit slowly, is listening to its users. Did the last PS3 firmware have a single PSN improvement? Be happy, people.

Who really said they wanted MORE text chat though?

patsu

Chrange said:
Who really said they wanted MORE text chat though?

I did. I said I want text chat like R1 lobby. Not "more" text chat. But an accessible text chat in-game.

It's useful when:

* Chatting with gamers worldwide. Not all are comfortable with speaking English. Writing is usually okay, even for people in mainland China and Japan. Heck, I couldn't understand some of the heavy accents in Europe and middle east too.

* Quiet gaming (in office or late night at home)

* Easier to track when multiple people "talk" at the same time (You can scroll up and down)

* Can make more out-of-character jokes, role play because of smilies. Kittonwy can still send feline messages in text chat instead of talking like a real adult.

All these were proven in the wild when we game every week night in R1.

Voice chat is useful too. They are not mutually exclusive. (Yes, we did both in R1).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
dfyb said:
how is text chat not awesome? voice chat would be useful, too, but text chat is certainly useful.
Cool if you're not playing a game.
Not cool if you have to stop playing your game, to chat.

Chrange

Banned
I'm hoping this is some kind of April Fools thing and they're going to reveal LOL IT'S SECRETLY VOICE! SURPRISE! because otherwise this is pretty lame. Text chatting while playing a console game? Get outta here - I don't even do that when playing PC games anymore.

lynux3 said:
There is so much fail in the comments. People are complaining about extra features.
We are not complaining about extra features, we are complaining about how Sony is putting resources and money into pointless features, when we could easily have something like cross game voice chat.

was the rumor about being able to copy/paste in the ps3 browser true? cuz that is something i'd find useful since i often just use the ps3 browser to check faqs while i'm playing 360

dfyb

Banned
dallow_bg said:
most games nowadays have downtime. in between SFIV matches, waiting to respawn in killzone, whatever -- i can see this being used a lot. i see a lot of people acting like text chat is useless, but it has some inherent advantages over voice chat. i'm not saying voice chat is unecessary or even that text chat is superior, but being able to set up chat rooms is awesome.

Fersis

Blu_LED said:
We are not complaining about extra features, we are complaining about how Sony is putting resources and money into pointless features, when we could easily have something like cross game voice chat.
Probably cross game voice chat takes more time thant text chat.

WickedLaharl said:
was the rumor about being able to copy/paste in the ps3 browser true? cuz that is something i'd find useful since i often just use the ps3 browser to check faqs while i'm playing 360
Not all new features have been shown or listed.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Blu_LED said:
when we could easily have something like cross game voice chat.
You cannot easily have cross game voice chat. There is nothing easy about it.

Firmware updates are a very tricky thing to develop. Heck, even the increase in friends from 50 to 100 broke a few games and made them crash...and you say it's easy to implement a huge bandwidth/os hungry feature that will work across all games?

It might happen in the future, but it's NOTHING near easy to do. Not even CLOSE.

Boss Man

g35twinturbo said:
16 people chat room.....
Why the hell would you want to communicate with 16 people in a PS3 text chat? I don't even do that on AIM with a keyboard and actual friends. It's like the most well-developed, but completely worthless update ever.

The only thing to save this is if you have a keyboard hooked up to your PS3, and how convenient is that? About as convenient as a $50 voltron machine on top of your controller. And how many people out of everyone you'll be "chatting" with will have a keyboard? This update is for like 3 people.

It feels like:

"Damnit Sony, we want cross-game voice chat!"
"We're listening closely and are working hard to bring more functionality to the PS3."
"Why the hell don't we have cross-game voice chat yet Sony!?"
"We're working hard to improve the PSN."
"..."
"..."
"Good news guys, cross-game text chat is coming!"
"All right! Finall- ...wait, what? You've got to be kidding..."

lynux3 said:
There is so much fail in the comments. People are complaining about extra features.
I paid 600$ for my ps3 so fuck with this extra features crap.

Xbox is so far ahead in basic functionality its almost not fair for Sony

chubigans said:
You cannot easily have cross game voice chat. There is nothing easy about it.

Firmware updates are a very tricky thing to develop. Heck, even the increase in friends from 50 to 100 broke a few games and made them crash...and you say it's easy to implement a huge bandwidth/os hungry feature that will work across all games?

It might happen in the future, but it's NOTHING near easy to do. Not even CLOSE.
Yeah, bad choice of wording. I know its not easy, but they are pooling resources into the text chat thing when they should be focusing on voice chat. I'm not sure how Sony runs their firmware development (is it in Japan?) but they don't seem to be doing it very well.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
dfyb said:
most games nowadays have downtime. in between SFIV matches, waiting to respawn in killzone, whatever -- i can see this being used a lot. i see a lot of people acting like text chat is useless, but it has some inherent advantages over voice chat. i'm not saying voice chat is unecessary or even that text chat is superior, but being able to set up chat rooms is awesome.
There is no way you'll have time inbetween spawns in KZ2 to send even one message.
You better not be on my side! :)

cameltoe

dallow_bg said:

i mute everyone when playing anyways so this is good for me. Would be if cool if games supported this. Like push "t" on the text pad (or select -> game chat) and an overlay pops up so you can chat with everyone in the room/server. Like PC gaming.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
StateofMind said:
The only thing to save this is if you have a keyboard hooked up to your PS3, and how convenient is that? About as convenient as a $50 voltron machine on top of your controller. And how many people out of everyone you'll be "chatting" with will have a keyboard? This update is for like 3 people.
The chatpad works great. Sony did release an official chatpad, ya know.

Cat in the Hat said:
I paid 600$ for my ps3 so fuck with this extra features crap.
I seriously don't know what you're arguing about at this point.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
StateofMind said:
Why the hell would you want to communicate with 16 people in a PS3 text chat?
I have family and local friends who would love that. This is not a useless feature.

Guymelef

Why the hell would you want to communicate with 16 people in a PS3 text chat? I don't even do that on AIM with a keyboard and actual friends. It's like the most well-developed, but completely worthless update ever.

It's frustrating that we can't talk after a race in the lobby in many games, for example.
And this for a lot of games.

Top Bottom