• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

Jostifer

Guys, this is *HUGE*. If this mean I can see the latest chat messages ontop of gameplay in every game it's like having a mmo textbox across everything.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
LiquidMetal14 said:
Now that the whiners who don't care have posted, let us who appreciate things rejoice. Damn Sony for expanding the feature set. Anyone who doesn't care please post more :p
I like the cross game chat... i wasnt expecting the 3 room thingy, pretty awesome really.
I think its pretty cool. (Tough its like a stab to HOME)

DuckRacer said:
They haven't fixed the clock. you can see this when he brings up the XMB in Killzone.

Dammit Sony.
You cant fix what it isnt broken. :D

eznark

Banned
Nice job Sin.

Other than vindication for the man, this is all a pretty minimal update.

(That chatpad does not look user friendly at all)

Tntnnbltn

25ptjj8.jpg

My thoughts:
  • the fact that the chat window stays open is very useful and I can see myself using it....it is the obvious progression to eventual cross game voice chat
  • I don't understand the usefulness of the new sort for the friends list
  • I will never ever d/l a video off of PSN

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And the text chat does look very useful and is going in the right direction to ingame chat. Can't wait to try out the rest of the nothing-ness.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I scarcely voice chat with my BROTHER online, let alone people I don't really know in games.

Why?

Because I live in a house in close quarters with others, and I don't like to disturb them and/or deal with the inevitable curiousity about why i'm talking to the computer :D It's usually later in the evening too when I game, and others are sleeping.

Plus, I have to say, often when I do voice chat, I'm chatting with people for whom english isn't a first language, or for whom their accent is so heavy it's difficult to understand them..which can be embarassing..

For those reasons, for me, this is more usable than voice chat.

I still think having the option to cross game voice chat would be great, but this is perhaps more useful for me. Anyone saying this is useless..I think you're being a bit silly, tbh. This is basically a universal chat/im client running alongside any game, that IMO should make a big difference to a sense of connectivity on psn.

WRT matching Live, I think this is a feature Microsoft could actually do with implementing! And I think they will.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tntnnbltn said:
MULTI THREADING BABY!!!
Only in PS3 , time and battery indicator at the same time !!!
Fersis : GAF official optimist :D

Zoe

MikeE21286 said:
  • I don't understand the usefulness of the new sort for the friends list

You don't have to skip over friends who haven't logged on in months.

thatJohann

i love how there was so much hype for that SHIT of an update.
ridiculous.

bring us an update when there's actually something up-to-date, not circa 2005.
please.

/thread

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
HybridXL said:
ridiculous.

please.

/thread
Hype? It was overblown for people like you to come in here to claim this is shit. Go back to not appreciating anything that comes this way via FW updates. Or get a job and help Sony work on the features just for you. Either way your bickering is worthless.

Fersis

HybridXL said:
ridiculous.

please.

/thread
You cant end the thread like that ! :lol

jonabbey said:
I assume memory and CPU wouldn't be an issue, what with the reserved SPU that the PS3 OS has, and the streaming nature of voice chat..
Actually, the reserved SPU isn't used for firmware. It's basically reserved for security purposes. The PS3 OS uses a chunk of the main memory.

This is definitely an awesome feature.
Synless said:
I'm not one to bitch about firmware updates often, but text chat is worthless for the most part. Aside from the very few shy people who may use it, the moment voice chat comes out it will most likely destroy that feature. I mean seriously I have to stop doing whatever I'm doing to start typing with my controller when I could just talk to a group of people while I'm playing my games still. I know I'm just bitching to no one who cares, but voice chat should have been in the system from the beginning.
Unfortunately, it's like other firmware features Sony couldn't have at the beginning (such as in-game XMB) due to the OS using up too much memory in-game. That's why you see features added slowly, since Sony is trying to reduce the OS footprint.

I hope the clock fix gets it's own firmware update with it's own walk through. A 5 second video to show that both a clock and a battery indicator can coexist peacefully on the same screen.

Shawn128 said:
Sheesh, going by some of these responses, Sony just shouldn't have even bothered with this firmware update.
Yeah I agree.
Pretty childish to complain.

It's like a child not getting the right flavor of ice cream and throwing a fit about it.

jonabbey

BoilersFan23 said:
Actually, the reserved SPU isn't used for firmware. It's basically reserved for security purposes. The PS3 OS uses a chunk of the main memory.

Is it constantly engaged with that, though? The SPUs are some fast, and it's extremely common to constantly be swapping processing jobs in and out of the SPU as needed.

.GqueB.

Banned
HybridXL said:
ridiculous.

please.

/thread
There really wasnt. There was a list of features from a questionable source that everyone assumed and hoped were real. Gaf will never learn.

Id like to just call you all idiots but I dont feel thats the issue. Foolish is a better one. Or easily manipulated.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Puck said:
Not bad, but still no party

To the extent that you can keep your own private 'universal' chat lobby for a group of people across games, the chat feature should make it a lot easier to keep a group of people organised across games.

It's not an automated feature or anything (in terms of pulling people automatically into games together), but it should help.

gofreak said:
this is more usable than voice chat.

I still think having the option to cross game voice chat would be great, but this is perhaps more useful for me. Anyone saying this is useless..I think you're being a bit silly, tbh. This is basically a universal chat/im client running alongside any game, that IMO should make a big difference to a sense of connectivity on psn.

I echo the same sentiments regarding text/voice chat. I mean I text message with my cell phone more than make/receive calls. It's the same principle.

Fersis

LiquidMetal14 said:
What are these "other" features or are they already listed on the blog?
Probably we have to wait until the playstation.com firmware website is updated

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Vyse The Legend said:
Sin (GAFer who said this was out tomorrow/soon) vindicated. Naysayers owned.

Sin is right but I'm doubtful that is coming out tomorrow, It's kinda janky from what I was playing it.

patsu

Jostifer said:
Guys, this is *HUGE*. If this mean I can see the latest chat messages ontop of gameplay in every game it's like having a mmo textbox across everything.

This. Persistent text chat and voice chat are both useful.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So what if you chose "Chat" instead of "Text Chat" from that first menu (and why aren't those two separate options on the main menu, instead of having their own two-options submenu...) I'm guessing the voice chat just stops if you try to play the game, whereas text chat carries into the game as shown? That's just kinda unintuitive, and smells of unfinished functionality. They should have waited to have more stuff done, instead of releasing something so small as a full decimal update.

BoilersFan23 said:

No, the 8th SPU is never used, so it's technically used for fabbing security (chip can be used even if one SPU fails to work). 7th SPU is actually used for OS only, and not for any kind of gaming activity, other than in-game XMB, custom soundtracks and stuff like that.

Jostifer said:
Guys, this is *HUGE*. If this mean I can see the latest chat messages ontop of gameplay in every game it's like having a mmo textbox across everything
From the video, it doesn't seem like that. You have to go into XMB to do the chat, so the game pauses when you do that.

DoomGyver

Did they fix the clock?

The text chat is pretty awesome, I don't see why you guys are downplaying it.

16 people and 3 rooms and you can keep them going during game.

That's pretty impressive.

Full Recovery said:
Did they fix the clock?

The text chat is pretty awesome, I don't see why you guys are downplaying it.

16 people and 3 rooms and you can keep them going during game.

That's pretty impressive.
Not as impressive as voice chat.

Zoe

Lord Error said:
So what if you chose "Chat" instead of "Text Chat" from that first menu (and why aren't those two separate options on the main menu, instead of having their own two-options submenu...)

It makes sense from a design perspective. Chat is already listed as a generic option on the main menu, and you want to avoid changing established menus.

Fersis

Full Recovery said:
Did they fix the clock?
Asking that, is like asking : Is Killzone 2 PS3 exclusive ? :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
MikeE21286 said:
I echo the same sentiments regarding text/voice chat. I mean I text message with my cell phone more than make/receive calls. It's the same principle.
The difference is that you have to pause every game, take the time to load xmb, load chat room, then type, and hope everyone has paused their game, loaded their xmb, loaded the chat, and is able to reply.

Voice chat is so much better for organizing things, or just chatting while playing.

IF IF IF
IF
they had something similar to the chat window in Home (lower left transparent box) that overlayed over whatever you played, and you could access quickly with the PS button, then this could have been a little useful.

Top Bottom