• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Red Steel 2 trailer!

VegaShinra

Wii Will Rock U said:
Wow, that looks phenomenal. No doubt that'll be a huge showcase piece during the Nintendo keynote at E3. WOW WOW WOW. Day freaking one.
Red Steel was a huge showcase during E3 2006 and the game crashed on stage. Let's hope for a better second showing this time around.

JimmyV

Banned
a tiny thing I notice that I dont like, at the end when the guy shoots the gun, he's holding the controller on its side, but the gun on screen is normal, I hope they fix that. Other than that it looks fucking bad ass!

Ashodin

jimmbow said:
a tiny thing I notice that I dont like, at the end when the guy shoots the gun, he's holding the controller on its side, but the gun on screen is normal, I hope they fix that. Other than that it looks fucking bad ass!
They said no gangsta style gunning.

Another thing I thought was interesting was watching the guy manuever the sword in a kind of Spanish style swordfighting, kind of like dancing with the guy.

It really looked 1:1 too. Pretty hot!

I think the general motion of the sword will be 1:1, and when you slash it'll do an automatic slice instead of having the slice actual 1:1. Or maybe not, who knows!

As other people might have seen, I have been a big beneficiary of Red Steel, and Red Steel 2 is no exception. I will be crawling these threads and videos for info.

Ashodin

Shaheed79 said:
I'll wait for actual gameplay. That was a cut scene an average one at that.
It was gameplay, just not video feed of actual gameplay in a sense. It is showing you in a trailer form of what they hope to accomplish with the game.

Maxrpg said:
It was gameplay, just not video feed of actual gameplay in a sense. It is showing you in a trailer form of what they hope to accomplish with the game.
That's a reason to get excited? It's the Killzone 2 trailer all over again.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I AM JOHN! said:
That's a reason to get excited? It's the Killzone 2 trailer all over again.

Killzone 2 trailer turned out to be pretty much how the game would be.

Relax.

DrLazy

Ok I looked all over for that Ign quote

"The slashing and swashbuckling we crave" -- IGN

I can't find it. It's not in the Red Steel review from U.S. or UK. It doesn't appear to be in any red steel 2 preview. What the hell are they quoting IGN for anyway? IGN has never seen or played the game. That's a really shitty marketing play.

methodman

Banned
DrLazy said:

I can't find it. It's not in the Red Steel review from U.S. or UK. It doesn't appear to be in any red steel 2 preview. What the hell are they quoting IGN for anyway? IGN has never seen or played the game. That's a really shitty marketing play.

They probably paid IGN to put it into their article sometime in the near future. I wouldn't doubt it.

DrLazy said:

They'd say it if they could. We all crave slashing and swahbuckling.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
DrLazy said:

I agree that it is terrible marketing ploy. That looked really out of place when they showed CG footage...

Ashodin

Stitch said:
Seeing these images leads me to believe there are either other trailers (from where ONM and NP got their images) or actual gameplay videos somewhere in the tubes.

And the IGN quote could be from an upcoming preview of the game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
DrLazy said:

I think they may have improperly credited IGN for something that G4tv technically said:

"The rumor is, Red Steel 2 will use this technology and might, finally, give us the slashing and/or swashbuckling we crave"

It should be noted that this was said in September of 2008, so it certainly wasn't about this version, or any version for that matter, of Red Steel 2.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm really liking the new setting and style of this game. I never thought I would be excited for a Red Steel game after buying the first but this one looks good. I just hope the gameplay and controls don't take anything away from the game but actually add to the experience. Need hands on previews from gaming sites!

Looks excellent.

Also, I'm sure the destination playstation thing simply has to do with closed door viewings of non playstation games at that event.

I have no idea what I just saw. How much of that was gameplay and how much was pre-rendered? I'm prety sure this is the first time I had to ask that kind of question about a Wii game.

Graphics aside if they can get the gameplay anywhere close to that trailer then... wow.

I thought the footage was CG at first but when you look at the stills closely, you can see the technical shortcomings in resolution. I'm not so sure that it's CG

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Maxrpg said:
Seeing these images leads me to believe there are either other trailers (from where ONM and NP got their images) or actual gameplay videos somewhere in the tubes.

And the IGN quote could be from an upcoming preview of the game.
Those are from the video we just watched.

Amir0x

Banned
Red Steel was atrocious of course but this definitely seems more intriguing. Will keep half an eye open.

Azure J

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. If they really have put the effort behind this game and it comes out with 50% of the vibe this trailer had while actually playing well, I think Ubi will have a huge hit on their hands. I can't wait. :D

maniac-kun said:
i dont get why they fight with swords first.. just shoot the guy and hes dead?

Late but always relevant:

2n01075.gif

:lol

Gully State said:
I thought the footage was CG at first but when you look at the stills closely, you can see the technical shortcomings in resolution. I'm not so sure that it's CG
That's what I see too but it could be that they pre-rendered using in game assets. I have a hard time believing the final game will look that smooth.
sprocket said:
?? lots of GC games did self shadowing.
Launch GC games at that.

sprocket said:
?? lots of GC games did self shadowing.

I didn't want to bash the wii or something, that was just a geniune question because I can't figure out what games on wii have self shadowing.

EDIT: I know about the self shadowing in shadow of the colossus but it was a tricky self shadowing and I don't see a game like red steel 2 running @ 60 fps with this kinf of feature like in the capture and the trailer.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Gully State said:
No it is definitely not CG and is most likely using enhanced in game assets. I stated that it was a cut scene meaning pre-baked animations give a sense of gameplay. The animation looked way too smooth to be in-game imo. The Wii is definitely capable of those graphics.

Ashodin

Saint Gregory said:
I have no idea what I just saw. How much of that was gameplay and how much was pre-rendered? I'm prety sure this is the first time I had to ask that kind of question about a Wii game.

Graphics aside if they can get the gameplay anywhere close to that trailer then... wow.
I'm pretty sure the graphics will get close to the trailer, oh yes, but the fact is they won't be that AA'd and everything. However, the style is exactly what you see before you.

I will say this: if they're really using MotionPlus like that (so that you can actually twist the sword around with your wrist in a 1:1 approximation), then this game will automatically be better than Red Steel 1 by default.

Ashodin

EmCeeGramr said:
I will say this: if they're really using MotionPlus like that (so that you can actually twist the sword around with your wrist in a 1:1 approximation), then this game will automatically be better than Red Steel 1 by default.
This is my thoughts exactly. If the engine allows us to parry attacks at a 1:1 ratio, each swordfight we'll have will be unique every single time. Do you go full out swordfight on the samurai ahead of you, or do you mix gun/sword play, or do you try to kite him and play gunslinger?

And one more thing: BOSSES. Bring 'em on.

Eteric Rice

They can probably get pretty close to that. If you guys notice, the textures in the game are relatively simple, but really pretty.

Will have lots of jaggies though.

Top Bottom