• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever completed a game at an arcade cabinet?

Wasn't 100% sure about where to put this thread but it's gaming related soooo....

I had my younger brothers at an arcade earlier and they were playing some house of the dead game where they died after like 3 minutes or so.

Anyway, it got me thinking, it must cost a fortune to try and complete one of these games!

So as the thread title, has anyone on GAF ever completed an arcade cabinet game while actually in an arcade? If so what was it?

Completing the game at home doesn't count unless you own an actual cabinet :p

Sophia

I've completed both Time Crisis and Time Crisis 3 on an actual arcade cabinet. Also Metal Slug X. None of these were on a single credit tho, although I came pretty close to one 1ccing Time Crisis 3.

Occam

Never enough quarters. :(

That's not how it works. You are supposed to 1CC them (one-credit clear).

And while I have have 1CC'd lots of games, I don't think I ever did so in at an actual arcade cabinet. Arcades went the way of the dodo in most parts of the world a long time ago.

Tons of fighting games.

Mushihimesama
Mushihimesama Futari
Dodonpachi Daioujou (well, first loop)
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu
Deathsmiles
Akai Katana

I'm sure there were more.

BurningNad

The Simpsons, with 3 other random people.

Metal Slug 2, I played it so much, my best run used only an extra quarter. And then 2 hits later the last boss was dead. :/

Chinbo37

You mean just beat a regular arcade game at the machine?

Ya tons

Simpsons
XMen
Avengers
Street Fighter II (does that count?)
Contra
Final Fight
Turtles
Metal Slug

shit i can go on for a long time! I guess I grew up when arcades were pretty popular

winstano

House of the dead 3.

There's an arcade in a town near me that still has a bunch of machines on a 20p play, and this was one of them, me and a couple of mates hammered it... Still cost about a tenner though!

Akhe

Cadillac and Dinosaurs, Street Fighter II, Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, Mortal Kombat 1.

I think I'm forgetting some games.

Mitch

Banned
There was one instance where I tried beating Metal Slug at a skating rink during a choir outing. Used up all of my money on the game, instead of renting out skates and getting food.

The closest I've ever been to beating a game with one credit was probably House of The Dead 3 (?) at a D&B with a friend. Long time ago, back when 28 Days Later just came out.

Lazulic

I beat that one Simpsons beat em up by myself on a camping trip. I lost most of my spending money on that.

Worst part is it's supposedly not very good. Oh well.

Lady Gaia

Does Xevious count? Once you clear the final wave of enemies the game simply wraps around to the beginning again. So it's endless, but with a pretty distinct finale.

Seik

Banned
Soul Calibur, I was something like 7 yo and got bored of the movie I went to watch with my mother. She gave me 10 bucks to go play at the arcades and I spent most of it there. :p

jerry1594

Metal Slug 3 at the local laundromat. I was so happy there was an actual arcade game in my desolate area but the fuckers removed it pretty quickly.

Mr.Jim

I completed lots as well.

RoboCop -I could 1CC (never heard that term)
Terminator 2 judgement day
Smash TV
Total Carnage
Xmen
Simpsons
NARC

Those are the only ones that come to mind right now. I preferred continuous games like Galaga, Zoo Keeper, ABP, Discs of Tron and such.

Maybe those games had an ending but I didn't have enough money.

kirby_fox

Banned
Time Crisis 2 and 3 with my cousin.

We were tempted to do it with 4, but at one point it was doing the motion stuff that didn't work so well in the cabinet we were playing so we quit.

Crisis Zone, twice, no continues/1cc both times, top 3
Tatsunoko vs Capcom, once, no continues/1cc, no placement :/
Oh, and Soul Calibur 2 lots, but those were sloppy and the cabinet was probably on easy

Fee

I completed Simpsons, Turtles and X-Men that i can remember.

I really want to know if anyone has ever finished any of the "Gauntlet"s start to finish and how much it cost them.

Laws00

simpsons. friend came back from the Marines and he spent like 5 bucks on the game. with all 4 players playing it

worth it

Viridian6

When I was a kid, sure. Mostly beat-em-ups, no matter how much cash it took.

Nowadays at the arcade I only play shooting games and try to beat them in say 3 credits. Used to be able to beat them in 1 but my skills have rusted.

Oppo

I finished Capcom's Black Tiger in the arcade, many years ago. And yeah, I did it on one quarter, eventually.

was... 1988 I think? was bummed when I went to Funspot and the machine was dead.

Think a buddy and myself beat Double Dragon too, 'cause i remember beating him up at the end.

Only Outrun 2006, but that game is rather straight forward.

A few home ports I can beat in one credit, high chance I could do the same with the cab version.

myca77

Final fight, but it cost me about £8 or so in the late 80s.

I used to have a friend who could do double dragon with one credit, no idea how. Also had another friend who could do ghouls and ghosts with one credit, again no idea how.

Ooh I did one credit complete outrun on holiday in Spain once, didn't realise at the time that they had the dip switches set to make it as easy as possible; it always felt more difficult back home.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
1FXJQsc.png

Thought it was Jurassic Park 1, but I guess not because It was definitely in that enclosed cabinet and the bench rocked around with the game. So, The Lost World.
NI5BDgK.jpg

X-Men arcade. nightcrawler all day

Lost World was in a Chuck E. Cheese's, and X-Men was at a hotel lobby during a class field trip.

I beat that mega man game where you fight a bunch of bosses at my (now shut down for many years) local pizza place, my brother and I used to go there a lot after school to play, we beat it like twice, we were very hype :) took us like 3 dollars to win, but in total out of all the years we played it I'd say we spent a solid 50 bucks or so

Ok, this is probably cheating

But yes, I've beaten X-Men with two other people in one sitting

Another person and I were helping a mechanic stress test new control sticks he put in. We had a bucket of tokens right next to us

The Simpsons Arcade and the X Men Arcade game.

My brother and I beat both while a crowd of other kids were standing around us watching, cheering us on. I feel bad that kids nowadays probably won't ever have an experience like this.

Top Bottom