• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever completed a game at an arcade cabinet?

xaszatm

Banned
I've played every Time Crisis game to the point that all i needed was at max 3 credits to beat it. MAN, I enjoyed that game series. So happy about Time Crisis 5.

As for others, I've beaten Ocean Hunter (4 Credits), Simpsons Arcade (15 Credits among the 4 of us), Lucky and Wild (2 Credits), and Ninja Assault (5 Credits).

Also, the reason why I'm using credits instead of actual costs is because I always counted the amount of tokens I needed to do another continue as a credit instead of calculating how much each play through was.

Jamaro85

There was one instance where I tried beating Metal Slug at a skating rink during a choir outing. Used up all of my money on the game, instead of renting out skates and getting food.

The closest I've ever been to beating a game with one credit was probably House of The Dead 3 (?) at a D&B with a friend. Long time ago, back when 28 Days Later just came out.

This is awesome. It reminds me of the bowling alley near the grocery store I worked at in high school. I'd go up with co-workers after work, all of whom would bowl, meanwhile I'd be in the little 5 machine arcade giving people in the business in Marvel Vs. Capcom. Ironically the machine directly to its left was Metal Slug.

VariantX

Just fighting games really, everything else had bullshit like enemies that could just decide to ignore hitstun at random and punch you in the middle of your combo or trial and error type level design.

Double Dragon(elbow your way to success), Double Dragon 2? Wardner, Side Arms, and Twin Eagle.

I think I came close on Black Tiger, Rygar, Twin Cobra, and Time Soldiers.

akileese

I've completed the main story in Initial D Arcade Stage Infinity, but I have a card that keeps my progress so I'm not sure that's the same thing.

Ikon

Time Crisis 2 is the most notable one for me. I could 1cc that pretty consistently before the only arcade in our town shut down.

REDSLATE

The original House of the Dead. Me and a buddy burned through a dub that day.

1FXJQsc.png

Thought it was Jurassic Park 1, but I guess not because It was definitely in that enclosed cabinet and the bench rocked around with the game. So, The Lost World.

I don't believe The Lost World had a rumble seat. You're probably correct in thinking it was the first Jurassic Park. It was wasn't fully enclosed, but the seat shook.
1083527180.jpg

Hahs

The OG 'Ninja Gaiden' - my uncle owned it (and a few pinballs) at his laundromat. After he closed it, he stored everything in his basement - so on the weekends that's where me and my little bro would be, mostly. He rigged it for us to play for free along with the pinballs (Top Gun, and Friday The 13th if I remember correctly).

NG3.jpg

STG!

I 1CC'd a lot of games in an actual arcade. Sometimes you end up dropping a decent amount of money for practice, but there's also a bunch of games that aren't super tough. Watching others play does help, especially skilled players.

When I was really into the genre, I always thought practicing fighting games in the arcade (especially when there wasn't a port out yet) was a lot of fun. Going in off peak hours or smaller low-key arcades where the machines weren't swamped was a blast, miss those days sometimes!

Completing the game at home doesn't count unless you own an actual cabinet :p

Does using a supergun count? ;-)

Woo-Fu

Banned
At one point in time I could play the original Gauntlet cabinet indefinitely off of one quarter. Don't believe it ever ends, though.

I've finished Gain Ground numerous times, but it is meant to be finished.

I have 1CC'd Mega Man Power Fighters all 3 modes at an arcade in Florida, last time I checked I still had the high score for all 3 of them.

I've also beaten several others at Disney Quest but those had unlimited free play so I guess they don't count :p

I've also beaten the Star Wars Trilogy arcade game, but that was with a couple of continues

KingV

Simpsons
TMNT
aliens vs Predator
Superman The Arcade game
MK 1&2 quite a few times
Marvel vs Capcom
Various iterations of street fighter 2 quite a few times
Xmen the arcade game

That's probably pretty close to it... My dad played games with me at the arcade a lot as a kid.

Edit: after looking at the thread, add terminator 2. That was a great arcade game!

Cosmonal

Neo Member
Nice topic!
I was lucky enough to complete:

Captain Commando (playing with Mack)

The Simpsons (Lisa ^_^)

Gal's Panic -- that one is a Qix clone
with some erotic girls, and the owner of the little arcade I used to go to at the 90's gave free coins to me in order to get better at the game, yes, just because he wanted to see the naked ladies at the end of each stage (true story)

SF2 (WW and CE)

Golden Axe. The machine I have most played on the arcades, I managed to finish (one time only) without losing any lifebar, was a personal achievement to me. It was on 1991, I was 13 at the time and it is an unforgettable day in my boring life :)

Thanks for the memories!

Catdaddy

Me no..
but my college roommate spent no telling how much money and how many hours in the campus gameroom on Ghosts and Goblins, he beat it numerous times and ended up getting kicked out of school cause of gpa. Pretty sure that was the reason since he was skipping class cause he was on a "roll".

Off the top of my head, I beat:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
X-Men
Double Dragon
Cadash
Golden Axe
Fatal Fury
The Simpsons
WWF WrestleFest (both Royal Rumble and Tag Team)

ohkay

I've beaten the Simpsons arcade game, but that's because I was at a birthday party and the cabinet was on free play

Accoun

- Time Crisis 2
- Dynamite Cop 2

I have also beaten The House Of The Dead 2, but not on one credit. I think the furthest I got on one credit was The Magician and usually after him I was able to beat the rest on the same credit.
I may have also beaten Outrun 2, but don't really remember...

That's quite a few 2's.

PSqueak

Banned
House of the Dead, several times, with as few as 5 credits, i reached the final boss with one credit one time, he's harder but you're rewarded with a power up room before him if you do this.

House of the dead 3, tho i never was as good at it as HotD 1.

Metal Slug 3 with friends, took us like 30 credits between all of us (we alternated)

Power Instinct Matrimelee, several times, i even was able to dominate the game as to finish it with one credit, which is quite a task since the final boss is bullshit.

Megaman 2: The power battle, same as above.

Waku Waku 7, tho mostly in cabinets with auto charge set on, Fernadez is bullshit without it.

Tech Romancer: Some story mode branches and Hero mode.

The simpsons arcade, it was on a birthday party when i was a kid, and it was awesome.

japtor

Probably credit fed through a few like X-Men and Simpsons when I was younger, although I do remember clearing SF2 on 2 credits at one point too.

In college I credit fed through Strikers 1945 III (aka 1999) one day, but mostly I played 2-4 games during a break between classes. Eventually I got the high score but never the 1CC, I died on the final form of the final boss. Course that was only the first loop too.

I have a cab at home, I've 1CCd Ketsui (1st loop) and Espgaluda (both PCBs), and Mushi Futari Original on 360 (but in the cab), if that counts.

I've completed plenty of fighting games(street fighter II, mk 1 and 2, tekken 3) on One quarter. Other than that, I was usually able to beat tmnt the arcade game with enough quarters. It wasn't easy

Yep the time I remember most vividly was winning all stages on Sega Rally to get the credits rolling and 1st on the leaderboard to boot. Was pretty daunting afterwards when I noticed a few people were actually watching, I thought it was just my mate who I was with. Glad I didn't know until afterwards or I would have definitely screwed up.

Honourable mentions go to me and a mate completing HOTD1 on one continue, and topping the leaderboard on numerous Daytona, Outrun 2 and Virtua Striker 2 cabinets dotted around.

House of the Dead, several times, with as few as 5 credits, i reached the final boss with one credit one time, he's harder but you're rewarded with a power up room before him if you do this.

YES, absolutely true, I remember seeing this room and thinking holy fuck I needed that

sp3ctr3

I've 1cc'ed my share over the last couple of years. A couple of weeks ago I got the Twin Galaxies World Record on Metal Slug on arcade machine.

This is my 1cc list:
18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker
Contra
Daytona USA Beginner
Daytona USA Advanced
Daytona USA Expert
Daytona USA 2 Beginner
Daytona USA 2 Advanced
Daytona USA 2 Expert
Daytona USA 2 Mix
Deathsmiles
Dragon's Lair
Double Dragon
Marvel Super Heroes
Metal Slug
Mr. Driller
Operation Wolf
Out Run
Outrun 2
Outrun 2 SP
Outrunners
Paperboy (Easy Street)
Pole Position
Puzzle Bobble
Puzzle Bobble 3
SCUD Race - Beginner Day
SCUD Race - Beginner Night
SCUD Race - Intermediate
Sega Rally Championship
Space Ace
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Strikers 1945
Super Hang-On
Super Street Fighter 4
Time Pilot
Wrestlemania The Arcade Game

Kitoro

I've completed The Simpsons and X-Men Arcade games probably over 30 times each growing up.

Also, I've completed Metal Slug 2 in arcades as well.

Other than that, all of the House of the Dead games, Time Crisis, Transformers, and many other light gun games.

That's about it for what was memorable enough for me, unless you want to count DDR and fighting games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Last year, or if it was the year before, Liseberg (an amusement park here in Gothenburg which has one of Sweden's last remaining (and largest, I believe) arcades) had a day when the park was otherwise closed where you paid a flat entrance fee and then got to play as much as you liked on all their machines. You just pushed a button to get another credit, with no limit. So yeah, me and a friend completed quite a few games that would normally have robbed us blind. The Lost World, Terminator Salvation, and several others.

Overside

Banned
I used to regularly beat house of the dead with one credit on each gun dual wielding, and Metal slug 2 with one credit.

Top Bottom