• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever completed a game at an arcade cabinet?

Regiruler

You need a good 45 minutes to complete a house of the dead.
That's not how it works. You are supposed to 1CC them (one-credit clear).

And no, I haven't. Arcades went the way of the dodo in most parts of the world a long time ago.
House of the dead one credit is positively brutal, I'd never finish them.

Not counting the cabinet I own or when I went to GameWorks and had an all night pass, one time my aunt gave my cousin and I $5 to spend at an arcade. We decided to play Metal Slug. At the second to last stage, my cousin ran out of quarters but I was doing well so I decided to lend him a dollar. He lost it immediately. I ended up getting to the last boss and ran out. Never again.

Hiltz

One of the Time Crisis titles and CarnEvil were among the games I finished at the arcade. I almost finished Metal Slug, but my friend and I ran out of quarters near the end-game stage.

Qurupeke

I rarely play arcade games but there was a House of the Dead game with co-op that we almost beat with a friend. Iirc, we lost at the final boss and we didn't manage to play again.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Final Fight- Beat this with my brother, the first time we played it, right when the game came out. Not exactly difficult when our dad was giving us quarters every time we got game overs, lol.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Beat this numerous times with 3-4 players.

Turtles In Time- Ditto.

X-Men- Beat this once or twice, also with multiple players.

Samurai Shodown II- Still played this when its popularity started going downhill and would beat it and also fight Kuroko.

Street Fighter II- Beat the various versions of this a few times over the years.

That's all that comes to mind. Might have also beaten The Simpsons, but I can't remember.

nkarafo

A few yes. With one coin or else it doesn't really count.

Golden Axe
Knights of the Round
Street Fighter 2
Outfoxies
Pocket Gal

I think there are a couple more but my memory suck.

Time crisis 2
Mortal Kombat 1 & 2.
Samurai Shodown
Street Fighters
Tekken

Those were the days, I miss arcades that weren't all racing and light gun games.

Jaeger

Mostly fighters. MK's, SF's, etc. I finished the original TMNT arcade game too. A couple of Capcom VS fighters too.

Just did these yesterday. Games were on free play so I wasn't exactly counting credits. Time Crisis 2, I must have continued ten times. It took a little over 19 minutes.

Also Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, probably continued a good ten times to clear it also. Except the final duel with Vader, if you lose you cannot continue, it's game over but you still get the "clear" with the credit roll. Would like to see the ending you get when you beat Vader.

I'm sad I was all set to spend a lot of time on Afterburner 2 but the throttle control was busted so I only played it once :/

A few, usually spent around 5-10 quarters though for beating just one of the games (so bad):

- Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (used to survive on 1 credit to halfway through the game)
- X-Men Arcade
- Warriors of Fate (actually piggybacked on other kids' playthrough so everybody in the arcade would finally see the ending)
- Captain America and the Avengers (only game I ever 1CC'd)
- Not quite sure but might've beaten Sunset Riders as well

Used to spend 2-3 quarters a day and beat the Avengers game 2-3 times in a row, just for kicks. Had my initials on top of the high score that summer, a kid even approached me and asked me about it, felt awesome. :)

This probably doesn't count but I used to "1 CC" Virtua Cop 2 on PC for weeks, over and over again, man what a fun game.

Smirfu

Alien vs. Predator
The Simpsons
Sunset Riders
Area 51
Silent Scope
Ghost Squad
Crisis Zone
Operation: Wolf

None on 1 credit clear

NeonZ

Metal Slug
Metal Slug X
King of Fighters 96
Street Fighter Alpha 1
Snk vs Capcom
Capcom Vs Snk 2 (not the Shin Akuma/Rugal ending though)

Virtua Fighter 2, played it each morning at local McDonalds before school and finally beat it one morning after several months of steady playing. Overall put probably more than $100 into it.

ignata

Seems like a popular response, but The Simpsons, on my own. Also I defeated Shao Kahn in MK3 on the day it first arrived at my local arcade. Cheesed him with Shang Tsung fireballs.

Robcat

Banned
the only game I completed at the arcade was bust a move. I have a arcade cabinet now with 10000 games and I complete games all the time and I don't have to waste any quarters.

I completed all stages in Virtua Cop 1 within two quarters. But then again I had a lot of practice with the Saturn version before that. I also Managed to complete all courses in Sega Rally '95, finish the hardest course path in Outrun and have completed all tracks in Daytona USA.

Metal Slug X is another game that I managed to finish on my own.

Brhoom

Banned
The House of the Dead 4, ah the memories of going every week and trying to finish it, and at the same time getting better at it until me and my cousin finished it :,)

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
OP must be young. I finished a ton of games in arcades back in the day (late 80s/early 90s).

Or perhaps they're not as common where op lives/grew up? I've been gaming for almost 25 years and the first time I beat a game in an arcade was about three years ago, when I moved to Japan and beat street fighter 4 in an arcade.

I grew up in a small town in Scotland, and the only arcade machine I had fairly regular access to was a street fighter 2 cabinet that a random independent news agent had for about six months. I made it to the final four once, which was an accomplishment as I only had the crappy Amiga port to practice with at home. Thankfully, crappy ports weren't an issue for sf:iv.

Other than that, arcade machines were a rare treat growing up. There were a few dotted around at places like cinemas, ice rinks and bowling alleys, but those were all 30 minutes drive away, so I rarely had the chance to play in arcades growing up. And when I did, I'd often go for the cabinets with steering wheels, flight sticks or light guns. Fun times were had, but I never managed to beat any of them.

It'd be interesting to correlate answers to poster's age :p I'm sure there's a statistically significant link there.

ocean

Banned
It'd be interesting to correlate answers to poster's age :p I'm sure there's a statistically significant link there.

I've never finished an arcade cabinet game. I got close once (Strider) but messed up near the end.

InSpectre

I used to be able to play Dragon's Lair as long as I wanted on a quarter. I'd play through it a couple of times then hand it off to kids after I had enough.

I was never all that great at the really skill based arcade games though. A buddy of mine got so good at Stargate he could play literally forever. He would play and play, rack up dozens of extra lives, then he'd take a break, hand it off to one of us, we'd die about 30 times in 10 minutes then he'd come back and just keep going. Amazing.

Cavalier

Banned
Die Hard Arcade

We were at Snowshoe Mtn. for our annual ski trip and saw this in the lounge. Played til the end one night. I love how the final fight is a battle of 'which of the 2 players is willing to spend more $$$'. Fucking genius idea.

Malreyn

The Simpsons Arcade and the X Men Arcade game.

My brother and I beat both while a crowd of other kids were standing around us watching, cheering us on. I feel bad that kids nowadays probably won't ever have an experience like this.

Playing the 6 player Xmen with double monitor cabinet with your buddies and beating it...good times

angelic

Banned
Mortal Kombat 2. Lots of years ago, when i only had the internet at my university, printed out a list of the moves for the arcade. Used to play it on weekends at a seaside arcade, its really a shitty game in single player. The only way to beat it is to exploit the AI because it reads your inputs. We learned the trick that after the 3rd opponent, the AI would just follow you relentlessly, so you duck, jump back, and the AI follows. You could then do whatever attack you liked on it.

So we quickly got to the point where the AI was no challenge, the whole point was showboating. And who better to use...shang tsung. So we quickly learned his full moveset and started doing things like morphing to the other characters at the FINISH HIM and doing their fatalies. If you timed it right you could morph to sub zero, finish the AI, do the first part of his freeze fatality, change back, then quickly morph to scorpion and set fire to the ice. Nice for crowds watching. You could do any move on this, so it would be like see what each fatality did to the iced corpse..they all mostly just glitched it out a bit.

The only down side was kintaro was a huge cheat, the technique to use would be stand infront of him, throw a single punch, then jump kick into him. But mostly the games would take about 20 mins each per credit to run through the entire tower showboating fatalities to the crowd, then die to a boss or beat it.

this sort of stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZof-9HquU

Sgblues

Yeah fighting games are the my most common games beaten at arcades.

But to go into other specific ones I can beat with one quarter/token.

Double Dragon 1: The elbow is the answer to everything.

Golden Axe: Both normally and by keeping the blue dragon to beat Death Adder with(makes it easier)

Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder, another one you can play unfairly if you have the skeleton dragon, can keep it from the ship stage or from city of the dead stage, it shoots a fireball that makes an explosion on the ground and can OTG(it hits enemies laying down) but hanging onto it is tricky.

Sly Spy: Not that hard if you can keep your wits, add in the golden gun from time to time and its easy to clear stages.

Aliens: Get the flamethrower and just start sweeping xenomorphs, beat the queen normally with the powerloader and with just weapons(3-way shot helps out on this fight)

Dungeons & Dragons: Shadows over Mystara: First it depends on the character I'm playing but mostly I do this game no problem since large bottles of oil spam kills every boss faster than their lifebars can register the damage, plus stuff like Magic user's hidden dagger often does obscene damage when it crits.

Alien vs Predator: I can do this game no problem also, maybe a little trouble on the queen but that's to be expected.

Single credit.

Soul Calibur 2
Gradius 2
Sorcerer Striker
Megaman: The Power Battle
Megaman 2: The Power Fighters
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Mushihimesama Futari
Theater of Magic
Circus Volitaire
Attack From Mars
Revenge From Mars
Star Wars Ep1 pinball
Medieval Madness
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Scared Stiff

The local gas station had a Ninja Gaiden cabinet. Me and a friend beat it coop.

This screen man.
sofwIxU.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
this will sound like bragging... but me and lots of my friends used to finish games on one quarter at our local arcade. The trick was never use coins to continue, from the top of my head here are games I finished using only one quarter:

.- Willow
.- Shinobi
.- U.N. Squadron
.- Ghouls &Ghosts
.- Shadow Dancer
.- the Simpsons (by myself, with homer)
.- Alpha Mission II
.- Cave man Ninja
.- Golden Axe
.- Golde Axe: Revenge of Death Adder (yep, on one quarter, by myself with trix)

plenty of games I am forgetting and not counting fighters like SF2 or MK

Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder, another one you can play unfairly if you have the skeleton dragon, can keep it from the ship stage or from city of the dead stage, it shoots a fireball that makes an explosion on the ground and can OTG(it hits enemies laying down) but hanging onto it is tricky.

Dungeons & Dragons: Shadows over Mystara: First it depends on the character I'm playing but mostly I do this game no problem since large bottles of oil spam kills every boss faster than their lifebars can register the damage, plus stuff like Magic user's hidden dagger often does obscene damage when it crits.

yeah the skeleton dragon was mandatory to finish the game one quarter :)

I tried to complete D&D:Tower of Doom but the final boss was way too hard. I made it there a couple of times but never really beat it.

Top Bottom