• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software reveals Gladiator A.D.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Screenshots:

2ugfot1.jpg

2cx92s8.jpg

2crahwy.jpg

2ii9zkp.jpg

2d14u8l.jpg

v7vae.jpg

o93l28.jpg

Kifimbo

Is IGN the PR firm for High Voltage ? They got the exclusive first look for The Conduit (with constant promotion) and now this.

ivysaur12

Banned
Screens look decent, nothing great (yes, I know that the Conduit looks infinitely better in motion. This is all we have to go on thus far, however). We'll see what the impressions are like at E3.

EDIT: And that logo is as shitty as the Conduit one. "A High Voltage Production"? So far, you've released one mediocre WiiWare shooter, a bunch of shovelware crap, and a FPS that hasn't been released yet. C'mon.

Penguin

Kifimbo said:
Is IGN the PR firm for High Voltage ? They got the exclusive first look for The Conduit (with constant promotion) and now this.

I assume it was because they gave The Conduit press, which allowed it to eventually gain a publisher that they have such a close relationship with IGN.

Silkworm

Woo, it's going to support Wii MotionPlus... :)

IGN: How do you control the game? Please be specific? Are you using Wii MotionPlus for anything?

Kerry: The controls use Wii motions with the Wii remote and nunchuck to initiate an attack. There are six basic attacks: Left, right or overhead, both light and heavy. The player can also block or dodge in any direction.

David: We are taking full advantage of the Wii Remote's motion-sensing capabilities for combat. We are very proud of what we have been able to accomplish using just the Wii Remote. That said though, we are currently incorporating the latest version of the Wii MotionPlus firmware and will support it.

Eric: The Wii MotionPlus will be used to add variance to the attacks to break up what could possibly be seen as mechanical attacks. For example, depending on the orientation of the player's wrist when a left slice is initiated, the gladiator will attack his opponents right side from one of three angles, making it slightly more difficult to perfect block player's using the Wii MotionPlus. We are also looking into other applications for optional game-play with this peripheral.

nincompoop said:
Looks awful.

Yeah... but if they can sharpen up the graphics, and way more importantly, include well implemented limb-hacking WiiMotion+ controls - then I'M MOTHERFUCKING SOLD!

Edit: YEAAAAAAAAH

JDSN

Banned
Looks pretty bad, I really dont understand how HVS has been getting so much attention with their unimaginative games with bad normal mapping, maybe its the IGN marketing or the promises of being hardcore to the max.

Crazyorloco

i think it looks good. Never would have guessed it was a Wii game. Sounds interesting especially with Wii motion plus support.

Silkworm

Well at least they're not trying to rush it for the winter holidays...

IGN: How far along is the game in development and when do you hope to release it for Wii?

David: We are seven months into full production. We have nearly every environment complete and many of our fighters have been modeled, rigged, and animated. As to the specific release date, we are not announcing anything yet but we are very excited and eager to get the games into the hands of the gamers.

Kerry: The game is a lot of fun to play and our current timetable places us at a Q1 2010 release.

Maybe wait 'til March 2010?

Gunloc said:
Not really my kind of game, but the interview made it sound semi-interesting. Classic controls would be a big plus.

WAT

Are you serious? The possibility of well implemented WiiMotion+ limb-hacking man, cmon.

bdouble

Interesting. More like an arena fighter. Its over the shoulder so it should play a lot like an action game. Not a genre I really crave on the Wii but with a 2010 release date this could shape up nicely. Definitely looks better than The Conduit did this early. Lot more cohesive and nothing really looks out of place. Still something isn't quite right about the games. Lighting is just weird.
Aeana said:
It doesn't have to be done so tastelessly. It'll definitely keep me away.
How do you make gladiator fight to the death with sharp blades tasteful? Shake hands before the match?

ethelred

The bar for "hey, this Wii game looks pretty good" just keeps getting set lower and lower. Are you guys having some kind of limbo competition?

Those screenshots don't look all that great, especially the environments. I'm hoping that they're early screens. Art direction is important.

Aeana said:
The way the movie Gladiator looks would be perfect, I think. White sand in the arena (arena is Latin for sand), gleaming sandstone/marble in the stands broken up by thousands of cheering spectators contrasted against the swarthy, earthy gladiators dressed in their armour.

The screens make it look like they're fighting in a sewer.

jrricky

Banned
This looks really great. The graphics seems to have some style put into it.
Aeana said:
You dont like God of War?

High Voltage is becoming a top developer for me on the Wii. Really love the effort they are putting towards the Wii.

Im not understanding...is this a two player fighting game(tekken, street fighter) or a single player action game with multiple characters to choose from(with a two player mode)?

Silkworm

abstract alien said:
Im not understanding...is this a two player fighting game(tekken, street fighter) or a single player action game with multiple characters to choose from(with a two player mode)?
It's the later. They have split screen for local 2 player and hint at possible online multi (probably still only 2 player but who knows).

Azure J

Aeana said:
lol gore is kewl.

As much as I hate being the guy to piss in the Kool-Aid, this. Why does it always have to be hyper gory or insanely sugar coated when it comes to games on Wii? Where's the middle ground?

Amir0x

Banned
Aeana is saying that they don't have to be so gratuitous with the gore. Severed arms and bones and cartilage. You can present the brutality of ancient gladiator battles without embellishing the horrific battle wounds of the combatants.

I am just explaining Aeana's position.

I'm all for excessive gore. More gore, I always say.

bdouble

ethelred said:
The bar for "hey, this Wii game looks pretty good" just keeps getting set lower and lower. Are you guys having some kind of limbo competition?
Makes just about as much sense as ripping on every pixel from every single big game announced and shown. Bitching and moaning about how bad it looks. See GoW3, MW2, Blur and probably every other game to be shown this year. Game looks fine. Something is a bit off but as I said it isn't nearly as bad as The Conduit was in the early days. Now the Conduit has come together a bit more and this looks like its taking a step up over that.

I don't even think these 2 games are at the top of what we have been shown. Mh3 is def up there in my eyes. Also have no idea what Nintendo has done internally.

Top Bottom