• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software reveals Gladiator A.D.

Red Scarlet

Aeana said:
Note the absence of blood fountains.

I think I'm being misinterpreted here. A certain level of violence is to be expected due to the subject matter, but there are better, more tasteful ways to present that violence than something that looks like it belongs in Mortal Kombat.

Did you have any interest in it before? The concept? A gladiator-type Bushido Blade type game? Or is it the amount of blood that has now taken it off your list? Pure curiosity here; I obviously don't have any interest in the game what with it not being on the PS2 or older.

pakkit

Banned
Aeana said:
Note the absence of blood fountains.

I think I'm being misinterpreted here. A certain level of violence is to be expected due to the subject matter, but there are better, more tasteful ways to present that violence than something that looks like it belongs in Mortal Kombat.
I'll agree with you there, then. Since High Voltage is going to be reading through this thread eventually, the copious amounts of blood are incongruous with your IGN statements of being "brutal, but realistic." People just don't bleed that much, unless you're surgically hitting all their arteries.

jrricky

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Did you have any interest in it before? The concept? A gladiator-type Bushido Blade type game? Or is it the amount of blood that has now taken it off your list? Pure curiosity here; I obviously don't have any interest in the game what with it not being on the PS2 or older.
You dont own a current gen console?

thefro

I'm not as interested as The Conduit initially, but if it controls well it could be pretty neat. Weapons-fighting game with Wii motion-plus, with different weapons to upgrade, stats, and probably a branching storyline based on your interactions with other fighters (think the career mode in the WWE games).

It's already looking okay considering the jaggies that are in every Wii screenshot should go away once we see it in motion.

big_z

looks uninspired but the tech looks like it's more advanced than most wii games. have to see it in motion before judging it too hard.

a developer needs to remake this game with wii motion plus.
g06062t85of.jpg

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
I didn't have any interest in it "before" since this is the first time we've seen it. I do, however, enjoy the setting and would like to play more games set similarly. I don't know enough about the actual game itself to say whether it is or is not interesting. I am, like everyone else, expressing an opinion based on what we have here.

It seems really silly that negative opinions are so frowned upon, like people would rather have 100 pages of "HOT. DAY 1" than actual discussion.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
doomed1 said:
someone at Capcom's not gonna be happy :lol

course, this has nothing on the actual context of adding AI to those models, but still
This tech is widely known and has been used in many games before it. It wouldn't work in Dead Rising. Basically you animate a set (less than 5 probably) of spectators, and then just have the same character at the same frame in its animation duplicated all over the arena. No need for AI (expect possibly randomly choosing one of the 5 animations).

About the game, this sounds good. From the description of the gameplay, I'm getting a Punchout with Gladiators vibe. Could be a lot of fun.

Well, they seem to have new scenery artists:

pre-e3-2009-gladiator-ad-revealed-20090525022155951_640w.jpg

pre-e3-2009-gladiator-ad-revealed-20090525022217591_640w.jpg

If this two levels are somewhat like this in the game, im fucking in.
I love Roman architecture.
And I like the idea, better than the conduit for me because of its theme. If the conduit its finally fun to play im going to pay good moneys for Gladiator AD

Amir0x

Banned
Aeana said:
It seems really silly that negative opinions are so frowned upon, like people would rather have 100 pages of "HOT. DAY 1" than actual discussion.

just wanted make a note here *scribble down*

Since this is what I always say!

sprocket

Banned
not my type of game. Ill have to know more about it first.

I love the anti Wii crowd just posting statements. They dont even have to look or read about the game they have a list Wii out downs they just copy and paste from. :lol

Cruzader said:
Holy shit I called it! (gladiator game)

Anyhow it looks awesome just as Colosseum: Road to freedom.

ps2_colosseum_road_to_freedom.jpg

Hell yeah, one SERIOUSLY underrated game.

This game has the exact same concept, but I hope it actually delivers on all of them unlike Colosseum. I'd like to see the RPG elements fleshed out more.

Red Scarlet

Aeana said:
I didn't have any interest in it "before" since this is the first time we've seen it. I do, however, enjoy the setting and would like to play more games set similarly. I don't know enough about the actual game itself to say whether it is or is not interesting. I am, like everyone else, expressing an opinion based on what we have here.

I meant the concept. That could have been thought about long ago. I don't really care if you have a positive or negative opinion about it, not really sure why you are griping at my post with a bunch of others responding to you.

sprocket said:
not my type of game. Ill have to know more about it first.

I love the anti Wii crowd just posting statements. They dont even have to look or read about the game they have a list Wii out downs they just copy and paste from. :lol

So please enlighten everybody with what you have seen and read that is different from us. Oh, you're just spouting fanboy crap.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Well, they seem to have new scenery artists:

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/986/986261/pre-e3-2009-gladiator-ad-revealed-20090525022155951_640w.jpg[/I MG]
[IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/986/986261/pre-e3-2009-gladiator-ad-revealed-20090525022217591_640w.jpg[/ IMG]

If this two levels are somewhat like this in the game, im fucking in.
I love Roman architecture.
And I like the idea, better than the conduit for me because of its theme. If the conduit its finally fun to play im going to pay good moneys for Gladiator AD[/QUOTE]
OK, that's pretty cool. They need to do something about the "dank" look some of the environments in the screens have though.

Eteric Rice

The concept sounds really good. But the art is shitty. These guys need to hire some good artists. They have an engine that can make pretty damn good Wii graphics.

I wish they'd go with a RE4 style, instead of trying to bump map everything to hell and back.

If the game is good, though, I'll buy it. I think HV has talent there, they just need to get better artists.

JDSN said:
Read the thread title again.
seriously i hate stupid games that try so hard to be hardcore with simplistic design and over the top gore and unimaginative cliched characters and settings

wait a second

sprocket

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
So please enlighten everybody with what you have seen and read that is different from us. Oh, you're just spouting fanboy crap.

what? lol I didnt say anything about the game. Just said it was not what I am into from the preview on IGN.

Rhindle

I'd really like to know where High Voltage is getting the money to make these games.

I don't see any publisher giving them development money for this, and I doubt they got much from Sega for the Conduit. They must be sitting on a decent-size pile of cash from somewhere.

Red Scarlet

sprocket said:
what? lol I didnt say anything about the game. Just said it was not what I am into from the preview on IGN.

sprocket said:

sprocket said:

sprocket said:

sprocket said:

So come. We're posting about what we've seen and read in this topic. You're calling everyone out. Put up or shut up.

sprocket

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
So come. We're posting about what we've seen and read in this topic. You're calling everyone out. Put up or shut up.

Clearly you misunderstood me. I didnt say I knew anything more about the game. Was just pointing out that some people are going down for being a wii game and not because it does look bland and boring.

If that is not you then you shouldn't be offended.

John Harker said:
i'm the only one who thinks this looks really cool so far?

Ive read the description and I think it looks incredibly good. I also like the music.
As I said, if the conduit finally is FUN to play, as that is the most important thing, I would be day 1 Gladiator AD for me.

big_z said:
looks uninspired but the tech looks like it's more advanced than most wii games. have to see it in motion before judging it too hard.

a developer needs to remake this game with wii motion plus.
g06062t85of.jpg

Die by the Sword was an awesome, awesome game. Good call.

sprocket

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Wow, never thought I'd see sprocket get mod roasted for pro-Wii fanboyism. :lol

ehh it doesnt matter ive been banned here for supposed 360 and ps3 fanboyism already.. might as well round it out. :lol

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
cool idea

looks bad visually in those shots to me

Should probably have gone stylized with the visuals. I've never seen a game with an art style that brings to mind old Greek art. That could have been cool? I don't know. Realism just doesn't work for me on the wii.

I'll keep an eye on it however. I could see it being a fun game to play with a certain group of friends I know...

I like the art style...it looks about like Id imagine gladiator art to look. I dig the fact that it isnt overly done or nonsensical. Sure the assets could always be better, but as far as the art style...its fine with me. All I ask for at this point(aside from a good game) is that it runs smooth.

Top Bottom