• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software reveals Gladiator A.D.

aeolist

Banned
This could actually be perfect for me. I like fighters but am completely turned off by all the arcane frame-counting and button combo memorization that dominates the genre. Something motion based could be really neat, and it's certainly not a setting that's been overdone.

All for it.

CTLance

WretchedTruman said:
[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2cx92s8.jpg[/IMG]
what's going on in this pic.
The left guy is kind of crouching. The right guy is doing a Spartan deathlunge.
33aglr4.png

jrricky

Banned
big_z said:
looks uninspired but the tech looks like it's more advanced than most wii games. have to see it in motion before judging it too hard.

a developer needs to remake this game with wii motion plus.
g06062t85of.jpg
How does it look uninspired?:lol

sprocket said:
ehh it doesnt matter ive been banned here for supposed 360 and ps3 fanboyism already.. might as well round it out. :lol
Dont feel bad, Ive been banned for saying Halo 3 should look better than it does considering the power of the 360.

*shrugs shoulders*

Red Scarlet

sprocket said:
Clearly you misunderstood me. I didnt say I knew anything more about the game. Was just pointing out that some people are going down for being a wii game and not because it does look bland and boring.

If that is not you then you shouldn't be offended.

They're sucking someone off because it is a wii game?

You generalized that anyone not interested has an anti-Wii agenda, and hasn't looked at any pictures or read anything. Has anyone in here posted "it's for wii, it's shit"?

Staccat0 said:
cool idea

looks bad visually in those shots to me

Should probably have gone stylized with the visuals. I've never seen a game with an art style that brings to mind old Greek art. That could have been cool? I don't know. Realism just doesn't work for me on the wii.

I'll keep an eye on it however. I could see it being a fun game to play with a certain group of friends I know...
http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14333979/icarian-kindred-spirits/videos/Icarian-trailer-HD.html

billy.sea

Banned
Just so you know, this developer have not proven themselves yet. All they have so far are some very lame Wiiware titles and an unreleased Wii game.
I think IGN really helped them a lot by simply giving them a lot of hype.

TheCardPlayer said:
The art looks....meh.

Gladiatorial combat on the Wii with shit tons of gore= Fuck Yeah
Gladiatorial combat on the Wii with shit tons of gore and bland art= GTFO
This . . .

It's like, I WANT to like them but they have to hire some good goddamn artist!

What am I looking at? I can think of atleast 3 different ways to style this to make it look loads better.

epmode

BrandNew said:
because it looks generic. doesn't mean it won't be fun, but you can't get any MORE generic.
SAY SOMETHING SUBSTANTIAL.

Christ, what a non-answer. But at least you didn't use "generic" and "uninspired" in the same sentence.

pakkit

Banned
People are going to have their opinions. The haters can't back up their statements any better than the hopeless optimists, since we have very little to go by.

BrandNew said:
because it looks generic. doesn't mean it won't be fun, but you can't get any MORE generic.
Nah, it could be more generic. It could sitting on a GameSpot shelf with a GameSpot label, with the words "VIDEO GAME" on the cover.

sprocket

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Nah, it could be more generic. It could sitting on a GameSpot shelf with a GameSpot label, with the words "VIDEO GAME" on the cover.

and some cartoon xtreme kids on the front. :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
billy.sea said:
Just so you know, this developer have not proven themselves yet. All they have so far are some very lame Wiiware titles and an unreleased Wii game.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyes. I do believe you have a point there chap. What vile little underlings these pathetic "High Voltage" plebeians are. Don't they know they have to be on the in crowd in order to have proven themselves? positive previews and that silly "innovative control" nonsense mean nothing if you're not one of us.

Musashi Wins! said:
"can't believe it's a wii game"? haha, that looks horrific.
Find another realistic Wii game that looks better technically. Rag on the art, yeah, but technically I'm not seeing how this is bad at all.

Azure J

doomed1 said:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyes. I do believe you have a point there chap. What vile little underlings these pathetic "High Voltage" plebeians are. Don't they know they have to be on the in crowd in order to have proven themselves? positive previews and that silly "innovative control" nonsense mean nothing if you're not one of us.

Solid 8 effort here. All that was missing was a cat in your lap as you gave this evil speech. :lol

jrricky said:
Explain...:lol
I think people miss-take "generic" for "bland".

Much like how they called Spyborg's art "generic" even when the only game that it looks like is R&C (for Spyborgs the art style just isn't too edgy or w/e).

This looks . . . meh. I could just see the mo-cap. >_>

markatisu

Rhindle said:
I'd really like to know where High Voltage is getting the money to make these games.

I don't see any publisher giving them development money for this, and I doubt they got much from Sega for the Conduit. They must be sitting on a decent-size pile of cash from somewhere.

They are self funded and always have been, they were going to try and publish The Conduit without any help but IGN was able to get them in touch with several publishers instead. I think they originally were aiming to make The Conduit just be a base game for their Wii engine and make money off that (sort of how EPIC makes money off the Unreal Engine) since developers at the time could not bother themselves to put forth any effort beyond PS2/PSP portage.

People can make fun of them all they want but there is a huge difference between High Voltage and the fuckers who make Gingerbread Man.

I can't wait to see some video, new IP's are always welcome on any platform imo.

I wish High Voltage would get some better art design though, they seem to have the tech on the Wii down.

So apparently the last 4 months of positive play throughs on preview builds among all review sites is just for shits and giggles because the "unreleased' game is going to be shitty in the 3 1/2 weeks it releases huh

ultim8p00 said:
If you showed me these screens and told me it was a low-tier PS3/360 game I'd believe you.
How "low-tier" are we talking here? It does look better than Disgaea 3, I'll give you that.

The game looks great, some interesting textures. Need a video, like what everyone said.

ethelred said:
The bar for "hey, this Wii game looks pretty good" just keeps getting set lower and lower. Are you guys having some kind of limbo competition?
Hey, where have you been?!

WB!

Crazyorloco

ultim8p00 said:
If you showed me these screens and told me it was a low-tier PS3/360 game I'd believe you.
That's exactly what I was thinking. There isn't anything with this level of detail on the Wii. I think folks here are comparing it to games with quality graphics on 360/PS3.

Hope it looks good in motion.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
AzureJericho said:
Solid 8 effort here. All that was missing was a cat in your lap as you gave this evil speech. :lol
really? i felt it would have been better if i had a monocle, swilling a glass of fine cognac in a red velvet bathrobe.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Crazyorloco said:
That's exactly what I was thinking. There isn't anything with this level of detail on the Wii. I think folks here are comparing it to games with quality graphics on 360/PS3.

Hope it looks good in motion.

Seriously,

2cx92s8.jpg

This screen impressed me. I wasn't paying attention to the crazy arms, but really, look at those pants. Looks almost like a painting to me.
JAFFE!!!
I think the model on the left is really impressive, especially poly-count wise.

sprocket

Banned
Well technically it does look nice and there are more than 2 characters on screen so that is a plus. But art wise it is bland.

I guess they want to sell the engine as best they can. They already have a space alien tech game. this is a swords and olden day fantasy setting. next is.......?

Meesh

abstract alien said:
Dont feel bad, Ive been banned for saying Halo 3 should look better than it does considering the power of the 360.

*shrugs shoulders*

What?!!! You're like the nicest guy on GAF...I smell a conspiracy...

These screen shots...must be...from an...early build? Must....not...look...*goes blind, passes out.*

doomed1 said:
of course, it's a Wii game. that just how shit works. art will still be fugly though.

No pun intended? *ahem*

Firestorm

Matt: Please stop posting blurry images of games that look like shovelware. Post clear pictures of promising games. Thank you.

EDarkness

I don't know why people are baggin' on the game graphically. Sure, the art direction might be a little off, but from a detail and technical standpoint, I think it looks pretty good. I want to see it in motion like everyone else, but so far it doesn't look too bad. Bushido Blade was interesting, but I couldn't get the hang of it. Generally, I'd get destroyed by the computer. Might be interesting to try with WM+, though.

Top Bottom