• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software reveals Gladiator A.D.

ethelred said:
The bar for "hey, this Wii game looks pretty good" just keeps getting set lower and lower. Are you guys having some kind of limbo competition?
I dunno. Some of the environments are plain, but compared to anything else realistic on Wii (not a high bar anyway), the models are far and away better looking. Nothing being lowered here, we're not praising anything like Dead Rising: CTYD.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Amir0x said:
Aeana is saying that they don't have to be so gratuitous with the gore. Severed arms and bones and cartilage. You can present the brutality of ancient gladiator battles without embellishing the horrific battle wounds of the combatants.

I am just explaining Aeana's position.

I'm all for excessive gore. More gore, I always say.

Wait, how?

loosus

Banned
AzureJericho said:
As much as I hate being the guy to piss in the Kool-Aid, this. Why does is always have to be hyper gory or insanely sugar coated when it comes to games on Wii?
WE MUST PROVE THEM -- WHOEVER "THEM" IS -- WRONG ABOUT THE WII AUDIENCE!

batbeg

That actually seems pretty awesome, although I'm not usually into fighting or violent games. Maybe it's just the fact they're putting effort into it that attracts me. The same thing as with The Conduit, which I intend to get at some point down the line despite no interest in the genre.

jrricky

Banned
AzureJericho said:
As much as I hate being the guy to piss in the Kool-Aid, this. Why does is always have to be hyper gory or insanely sugar coated when it comes to games on Wii?
You people seem to be sugar picking on the games that get a lot of attention. There are plenty games on the Wii that fall in between. PLENTY. See the The Conduit, Ghost Busters, Star Wars etc. Thats why they are rated T.

bdouble

Red Scarlet said:
[]http://i39.tinypic.com/2cx92s8.jpg[/]

What's going on with their arms? They look really weird.
No idea but its almost sort of helping it look better because it looks like some sort of cool shader. :D

thaOwner

Red Scarlet said:
2cx92s8.jpg

This could be fun. So this was that game blurred out huh ?

VAIL

Looks good enough to me, remember how shitty The Conduit first looked? They have time and they will pull it together.

Red Scarlet said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2cx92s8.jpg

Yeah thats a particularly bad shot due to the guy on the left. I think all we're really seeing of his right arm there is his forearm, his upper arm obscured and visually confused by the angle of the weird shoulder thing. The hand looks like a freakin' claw as well. Not a good shot.

Both of the shots with guys lying on the floor are of a decent enough quality to have been released, I'm not so sure about the rest.

Pseudo_Sam said:
Wait, how?
There was this little obscure movie about a gladiator that was released a while back by this indie director... forget his name... something Scott. Ripley? He was a general who became a slave, a slave who became a gladiator, then a gladiator who defied an empire. I think it was called "The Guy Who Couldn't Stop Fighting"

Basically, do it like that movie did it.

Amir0x

Banned
VAIL said:
Looks good enough to me, remember how shitty The Conduit first looked? They have time and they will pull it together.

I remember how shitty it still looks. *tee hee*

Pseudo_Sam said:
Wait, how?

Like anything that is about violence but doesn't focus on said violence? In many ways, simply knowing the violence is coming and has happened is worse than actually witnessing it.

Simple cut aways and camera pans when something extra violent is happening, or whatever.

Again, I love gore. I wouldn't want them to do that. But, there are "tasteful" ways of presenting gladiator battles, which apparently Aeana prefers.

Azure J

Yeah, I'm well aware of that jrricky. It just seems odd that media attention is hardly ever in the middle grounds as they are in areas like this.

Crap, me saying this after supporting MadWorld seems odd. :lol

EDIT - Ergh, posting offa Wii ftl.

m3k

i guess it makes sense, considering what was contained in their intial conduit engine demo... the write up makes it sound more interesting than it looks frankly

oh well they have lots of time to polish this game

JDSN said:
Looks pretty bad, I really dont understand how HVS has been getting so much attention with their unimaginative games with bad normal mapping, maybe its the IGN marketing or the promises of being hardcore to the max.

Seriously, I don't know what it is with HVS, but their normal and sort-of-glossy mapping looks horrible. The Conduit enemies are also plagued by this and it looks like shit. I seriously don't get the praise The Conduit gets for its graphics. It looked pretty damn mediocre for a Wii game when I played it in march.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
The art looks....meh.

Gladiatorial combat on the Wii with shit tons of gore= Fuck Yeah
Gladiatorial combat on the Wii with shit tons of gore and bland art= GTFO

The multiplayer impressions of the Conduit have been really positive so far

High Voltage strike me as a developer that had to take crappy shovelware work in the past, and now they're trying to use the Wii and IGN as a marketing tool to catapult them out of that and into being a house that can thrive on their own IP.

I can't help but hope both of the games turn out good

I honestly think the art would look better with cleaner environments. As it is, the screens look so... cluttered. The character models need work, but I see where they're going with it.

It's just too bad I'm not into fighting games.

m3k

i hope they get lots of monies from the conduit and get some more artists ... their work ethic and ambition is nice to behold

Silkworm said:
It's the later. They have split screen for local 2 player and hint at possible online multi (probably still only 2 player but who knows).
Cool. I guess the other game will be the one with hordes of enemies on screen then...unless this is it, but I doubt it with the way it looks.

Aeana

viciouskillersquirrel said:
There was this little obscure movie about a gladiator that was released a while back by this indie director... forget his name... something Scott. Ripley? He was a general who became a slave, a slave who became a gladiator, then a gladiator who defied an empire. I think it was called "The Guy Who Couldn't Stop Fighting"

Right. Gladiator did it well, and I enjoyed that film.

Oh well; it's a lost cause. This is the same forum that worships MadWorld.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Much better art style than The Conduit at least, and I was actually impressed by some of those screens (ignoring the jaggies, which are par the course for Wii screens anyways).

Don't care much for fighting games or the setting though, to be honest. Probably won't buy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the colors being so saturated makes it worse. Often, in movies with a lot of gore, the reds will be desaturated to take some of the sting out of it. Passion of the Christ even did this, actually.

Pseudo_Sam

Amir0x said:
Like anything that is about violence but doesn't focus on said violence? In many ways, simply knowing the violence is coming and has happened is worse than actually witnessing it.

Simple cut aways and camera pans when something extra violent is happening, or whatever.

Again, I love gore. I wouldn't want them to do that. But, there are "tasteful" ways of presenting gladiator battles, which apparently Aeana prefers.

"Camera pans" to avoid violence in a gladiator game would be hilarious, because you would constantly be looking at the wall. The entire sport revolves around bloodlust.

Well, the setting is definitely awesome, and the concept sounds promising enough... Here's hoping the overall execution is up to snuff.

batbeg

Aeana said:
Right. Gladiator did it well, and I enjoyed that film.

Oh well; it's a lost cause. This is the same forum that worships MadWorld.

You're kind of trying too hard. It's obvious you don't prefer the style and obviously it's okay to express that... but it's like you've come into the thread to shit on the style and those who enjoy it, which seems uncharacteristic of you. I can appreciate you not liking it, but let's face it... this is a gladiator close-combat game, and the masses would probably not respond to a tasteful representation of the sport.

pakkit

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:

This one?

Hyperviolence isn't exactly my thing either, but it makes sense in a Gladiator game. Just because you COULD be Hollywood and tone it down doesn't mean you should. Maybe High Voltage could implement a feature that tones down the violence so that the weaker stomached could play.

It's too early to draw any conclusions (not that that will stop you guys), but the notion of hacking or bludgeoning a mofo to death with Motion+ sounds like a sweet deal.

Gladiator game described as having combat similar to Bushido Blade. Sold.

I've been wanting a potentially awesome gladiator game since forever. Shadow of Rome was great but got bogged down with the stealth segments and Colosseum: Road to Freedom had a seriously addictive combat system but was a waste of potential otherwise. If this game can have a combat engine as good as Bushido Blade and the gameplay variety and storyline to go along with it, it'll be something straight out of my dreams.

I don't have much faith in High Voltage to do much of anything, but I really can't help myself with this one.

Amir0x

Banned
Pseudo_Sam said:
"Camera pans" to avoid violence in a gladiator game would be hilarious, because you would constantly be looking at the wall. The entire sport revolves around bloodlust.

yeah except for the fact that most Gladiator battles never ended in death or heavy wounds. There was "only" a one-in-nine death rate, and there are many many historical references to Gladiators being trained to subdue and not kill.

So. Yeah.

CTLance

interview said:
Eric: Players have the option of playing as one of many gladiators, ranging from the Dark Druids of Amesbury, to the daughter of an Egyptian priest.
Boobs? Boobs boobs boobs boobs?

Srsly, if they go and mix Mortal Kombat with Dead space, then I'm expecting a fair share of nudity too. Just to even things out.

I think they've got their work cut out for them. Fighters are nowhere near mainstream, and the niche 'core demography will happily tear them a new one for every error.

But whatever. I do wish them good luck.

jrricky

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I can't get over how messed up both of the arms shown in that pic look.
:lol I know, its probably the angle and the motion though.

Anyways, the soundtrack is also awesome.

Aeana

pakkit said:
Note the absence of blood fountains.

I think I'm being misinterpreted here. A certain level of violence is to be expected due to the subject matter, but there are better, more tasteful ways to present that violence than something that looks like it belongs in Mortal Kombat.

Pseudo_Sam

Amir0x said:
yeah except for the fact that most Gladiator battles never ended in death or heavy wounds. There was "only" a one-in-nine death rate, and there are many many historical references to Gladiators being trained to subdue and not kill.

So. Yeah.

Who the hell wants to play a gladiator game where the object is to "subdue" and not kill?

Look, I understand your point, and I don't think this game looks good enough to argue about this anymore. If a few people here and there want less gore, fine. I'll be rooting for the blood 'n guts angle, myself.

jrricky

Banned
Aeana said:
Note the absence of blood fountains.

I think I'm being misinterpreted here. A certain level of violence is to be expected due to the subject matter, but there are better, more tasteful ways to present that violence than something that looks like it belongs in Mortal Kombat.
We hear you.

Now just drop it.:lol

Amir0x

Banned
Pseudo_Sam said:
Who the hell wants to play a gladiator game where the object is to "subdue" and not kill?

Look, I understand your point, and I don't think this game looks good enough to argue about this anymore. If a few people here and there want less gore, fine. I'll be rooting for the blood 'n guts angle, myself.

My point is only that there are ways to present the subject matter more tastefully for people like Aeana.

I am not arguing that they should, just that it's possible and it would still seem perfectly logical within the context of the subject.

I am like you, however: I love gore. The more, the better.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
said it before, but technically speaking, this game looks superb. THE WII CAN DISPLAY EVERY PORE OF THAT DUDE TOO! but artistically speaking, it's pretty bland, similar to the Conduit, and this game i have no interest in terms of set pieces and content. i'll wait until i see it in motion, since the aliasing is getting to me, but once i see that, i'll make my final judgement. either way, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom is probably the only fighting game i can see myself buying in the future. why? because TvC is fucking awesome, that's why.

this part did make me giggle a bit though
David: Gladiator A.D. features the latest version of the Quantum technology. Graphically, we have incorporated several very cool visual effects into the game that are beyond even The Conduit. All of the updates are not simply graphical though, as seen in our Imposter / Instancing technology. This technology allows us to feature a large number of characters on screen with no discernible framerate hit. This means that we can have hundreds or even thousands of models in the scene.
someone at Capcom's not gonna be happy :lol

course, this has nothing on the actual context of adding AI to those models, but still

Top Bottom