• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

I mean a disaster in terms of market share, not games sold to current owners. Being behind already, PS4 Battlefront bundles and marketing can wreak havoc to MS when it's already less popular at retail. The Star Wars hype leading into Episode VII will be through the moon, and don't think for one second Battlefront won't have a massive advertising itself.

Microsoft has gotten the majority of marketing deals, but the deals Sony has secured have been absolute blockbusters. Watch Dogs, Destiny bundle, Batman bundle, MGSV bundle and now likely Battlefront bundle.

I say at least 1 million PS4s get sold in bundles of those 3 this year, possibly much more if they are all special editions.

Hmm. E3 is going to be fun.

No way will COD be advertised on anything but Xbox, those two brands are synonymous with each other and have been extremely success as well. Sony getting that would be a waste of time anyway, the advertising has gone on too long for the brand association to not be anything but Xbox. It's the same with FIFA, nice and all Microsoft tried the last couple years buy football is so Playstation centric that the co-marketing made no difference.

NickFire

Microsoft has gotten the majority of marketing deals, but the deals Sony has secured have been absolute blockbusters. Watch Dogs, Destiny bundle, Batman bundle, MGSV bundle and now likely Battlefront bundle.

I say at least 1 million PS4s get sold in bundles of those 3 this year.

I think Sony could easily sell more than 2 million just with Battlefront. I remember the hype for phantom menace. The upcoming sequel brings back the originals, and looks like it has been treated very well. A well priced bundle could pull a shit ton of older gamers back who may have moved on from games and not yet invested. Star Wars is a beast.

On a side note, I'm still shocked we havemt seen swtor on consoles yet. I recognize that PC gaming is doing very well, but the people who grew up with the OG Star Wars movies came out and took over popular culture started on Atari, Nintendo and Genesis. Simple to use boxes hooked up to tvs. Those in their youth when the prequels came out are not likely to have the same fondness for the ip.

Oh god... I would totally double dip for a Special Star Wars PS4 that makes the lightsaber sound when it boots up.
Sony please make this happen somehow.

Fat4all

Banned
Hmm. E3 is going to be fun.

tumblr_mugtdeKJc21rdh9azo2_400.gif

Are you insinuating what I think you're insinuating?!? MS has had that on lock for YEARS...

No way will COD be advertised on anything but Xbox, those two brands are synonymous with each other and have been extremely success as well. Sony getting that would be a waste of time anyway, the advertising has gone on too long for the brand association to not be anything but Xbox. It's the same with FIFA, nice and all Microsoft tried the last couple years buy football is so Playstation centric that the co-marketing made no difference.
For how long have you been a gamer? I have seen so many "no way X brand will be in X console" or variations of it regarding advertising, exclusivity etc.
Nothing is set in stone when it comes to the video games industry.

Somnia

I'll believe it when I see it. CoD and MS pretty much go hand and hand for marketing including on the tournament scene. Too many "insiders" have been wrong on here.

GKFinns

I say at least 1 million PS4s get sold in bundles of those 3 this year, possibly much more if they are all special editions.

Actually it's been Sony that's locked down most of the marketing deals this year. A lot of Microsoft's marketing deals were in effect before the gen began when everyone assumed they'd run away with it. So the EA sports game and Dragon Age: Inquisition along with Witcher 3. Then they maintained Call of Duty and actually swiped Assassins Creed from them which was a good get.

But Sony pulled out with crazy deals this gen so far. Battlefield Hardline. Watch Dogs. Destiny. Far Cry 4. Dying Light. Diablo III. Mortal Kombat X.

This year Microsoft has Tomb Raider and The Division that we know of. Sony now has Batman Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid V, and Star Wars Battlefront III. That's an absurd line up.

I think another big get will be whatever company gets the deal with the next Fallout. I would've thought Xbox initially, but Bethesda went Sony and PS4 for the console Elder Scrolls Online so who knows?

Actually it's been Sony that's locked down most of the marketing deals this year. A lot of Microsoft's marketing deals were in effect before the gen began when everyone assumed they'd run away with it. So the EA sports game and Dragon Age: Inquisition along with Witcher 3. Then they maintained Call of Duty and actually swiped Assassins Creed from them which was a good get.

But Sony pulled out with crazy deals this gen so far. Battlefield Hardline. Watch Dogs. Destiny. Far Cry 4. Dying Light. Diablo III. Mortal Kombat X.

This year Microsoft has Tomb Raider and The Division that we know of. Sony now has Batman Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid V, and Star Wars Battlefront III. That's an absurd line up.

I think another big get will be whatever company gets the deal with the next Fallout. I would've thought Xbox initially, but Bethesda went Sony and PS4 for the console Elder Scrolls Online so who knows?

MS has this? I thought the game play trailer came out on PS4?

(I might be totally wrong)

GKFinns

MS has this? I thought the game play trailer came out on PS4?

(I might be totally wrong)

A lot of footage has been shown on PS4 but the actual marketing deal is for Xbox. Like, recent advertisements in comic books only show Xbox one and PC versions and don't even mention PS4

GnawtyDog

Banned
Yeah I don't see the huge benefit in Sony going after COD marketing. Probably not what they are talking about.

I see the benefit. I just don't think Sony will outbid MS for it. Might be wrong. But it's extremely unlikely from where I am sitting.

And Yes, chances of Sony having some exclusive game in the holidays that could be considered big or fresh is WAY, way more likely - apart from the games we know so far, which are quite a few.

I see the benefit. I just don't think Sony will be outbid MS for it. Might be wrong. But it's extremely unlikely from where I am sitting.

I don't. It would be way more expensive than it is worth. COD sells great on PlayStation already. Plus they have Battlefront which is fresh and has no association with either console.

For how long have you been a gamer? I have seen so many "no way X brand will be in X console" or variations of it regarding advertising, exclusivity etc.
Nothing is set in stone when it comes to the video games industry.

There was a time when Mario and Sonic were the bitterest of rivals and growing up in the early 90's if you were for one you had to be agains the other (at least, that's the way I remember it on the playground). Now some Sonic games are exclusive to Nintendo platforms. ANYTHING is possible.

AmuroChan

I mean a disaster in terms of market share, not games sold to current owners. Being behind already, PS4 Battlefront bundles and marketing can wreak havoc to MS when it's already less popular at retail. The Star Wars hype leading into Episode VII will be through the moon, and don't think for one second Battlefront won't have a massive advertising itself.

Well, we'll see if that's enough to overcome the lack of AAA exclusives in the Fall for Sony. It's still pretty early so who knows how the Holiday season will shape up. I'm guessing MS isn't just going to sit on their hands and do nothing in response. The Fall lineup is pretty much set for MS with Forza, Halo, and TR. Their exclusive marketing deal with COD will probably continue. It'll be interesting to see what other deals they may be working on that haven't been revealed yet. I get the sense that they may be talking to Bethesda about Fallout 4.

TheNAC

Banned
I don't. It would be way more expensive than it is worth. COD sells great on PlayStation already. Plus they have Battlefront which is fresh and has no association with either console.

Maybe Microsofts thinking is its not worth it anymore since mindshare is Xbox and COD together already.

Zophar

Well, we'll see if that's enough to overcome the lack of AAA exclusives in the Fall for Sony. It's still pretty early so who knows how the Holiday season will shape up. I'm guessing MS isn't just going to sit on their hands and do nothing in response. The Fall lineup is pretty much set for MS with Forza, Halo, and TR. Their exclusive marketing deal with COD will probably continue. It'll be interesting to see what other deals they may be working on that haven't been revealed yet. I get the sense that they may be talking to Bethesda about Fallout 4.

MS I am sure is quite content with their Fall lineup as we know it. It's a very strong lineup just as it is (at the expense of leaving sales on the table for the rest of the year, granted.)

Hydrargyrus

Technically, every multiplatform game sells better in PS4 because its dominance in all the markets and huge install base.

So:
- PS4 sells much more WW
- PS4 sells more even in US
- PS4 doesn't have a negative halo around the brand (actually, the opposite)
- Did I say they sell tons?
- Sells more SW in every territory

I can see all bigger franchises happy to partner with Sony for the advertising, even I see that logical...

Boke1879

Let's say for the sake of argument Sony somehow locks down COD. You're right sales for the game on each system won't really matter. It'll sell well regardless.

But what if Sony tries to pull a MS this year. Bundle COD, bundle battlefront, bundle AK and Bundle MGSV for the holiday, Black Friday, Christmas period.

That's all I can guess. Use it as a console mover/get people into the PS+ ecosystem

I see the benefit. I just don't think Sony will outbid MS for it. Might be wrong. But it's extremely unlikely from where I am sitting.

Well, there could be several reasons (if true)

1) Sony really wanted it and paid big (outbid) for it
2) MS let it go - didn't bid high enough, decided not to renew, or something else
3) Third-parties are bailing out of MS marketing deals for their big franchises
4) Activision just wanted out of the deal

Sony having Battlefront (and presumably the rest of the Star Wars line-up from EA), COD, Destiny, GTA, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Batman, Metal Gear... thats a hell of a franchise line-up (among others)

Not sure exactly what MS would combat it with really, all of those games except Watch Dogs, Far Cry and GTA are launching this year, MS have (had): Assassins Creed, Evolve, Fifa, Madden, Dragon Age, The Witcher 3, The Division. Ive probably missed a few off both but those are the main ones?

EatMyFace

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it.

But just for the clusterfuck, I hope this is true.

Nooooooooooo freaking way. How does MS even allow for this to happen?

No way Sony could have the marketing rights for both Call of Duty and Battlefront. I could understand if they came out in different months, but not this!

If Sony does have marketing rights to COD, then wow... Microsoft had that franchise locked down for several years.
Is the guy you guys are replying to Bish approved?

I was actually thinking Sony might have gotten CoD. They were the first to have the teaser up minutes after it went out and CoD pro's have said there is no guarantee'd CoD Champs next year (The tourney MS sponsor for 1m) which makes sense. Battlefront and something like exclusive CoD dedicated servers or something to make it better on PS4 and thats the FPS and FGC on lockdown.

I think at E3 they will announce Star Wars/MGS V themed consoles. The reason why they do not announce them now, is because they don't want to take the wind out of the sails of the Arkham bundle.

GnawtyDog

Banned
MS have (had): Assassins Creed, Evolve, Fifa, Madden, Dragon Age, The Witcher 3, The Division. Ive probably missed a few off both but those are the main ones?

Those are the main ones (COD too). MS is fine, as long as they have COD. If the biggest holiday franchise slips - then I am not too sure how the holidays will shape up.

EatMyFace

Banned
The reveal for BO3 is on the 26th, it'll be clear who has co-marketing for it then.
I can't imagine Microsoft being happy about losing that marketing deal. Maybe it was Activisions decision? Doubling down on the market leader with the success of the Destiny launch.

Anyway COD has always been a big pillar for Xbox and losing that will be a huge blow to Microsoft. But I think if Microsoft doubles down on Halo 5 this holiday and maybe even makes it a yearly release it wouldn't do much damage.

Fat4all

Banned
I think at E3 they will announce a Star Wars/MGS V themed consoles. The reason why they do not announce them now is because they don't want to take the wind out of the Arkham bundle.

Obviously. It wouldn't be a good thing to do regardless of the Batman Bundle, as if they did it too early, people would wait the whole year to get a PS4 when some customers could be on the cusp of buying one sooner.

Gotta be careful with bundle info.

Canon

Banned
Marketing dollars doesn't equal exclusive games. They have nothing for me this year that is exclusive. They need all that money to stay afloat I guess, instead of releasing games.

RoKKeR

So much emphasis being placed on which companies "have" a certain game... seems to be overblown to me. Yes it's a factor but it doesn't lend itself to these kinds of list wars IMO. Every marketing deal is different.

Hell, Xbox has put up mentions and ads for Battlefront up on Twitter and the dashboard today, it's not like one company bans the other from marketing the game. Maybe I'm off base.

Also where is this talk of CoD NOT being an Xbox marketed game coming from? I see no credible source.

Boke1879

Marketing dollars doesn't equal exclusive games. They have nothing for me this year that is exclusive. They need all that money to stay afloat I guess, instead of releasing games.

Oh you mean the games they are releasing throughout the year instead of cramming it into a 2-3 month period?

EatMyFace

Banned
I was actually thinking Sony might have gotten CoD. They were the first to have the teaser up minutes after it went out and CoD pro's have said there is no guarantee'd CoD Champs next year (The tourney MS sponsor for 1m) which makes sense. Battlefront and something like exclusive CoD dedicated servers or something to make it better on PS4 and thats the FPS and FGC on lockdown.
That's never going to happen....and that's a good thing.

Toki767

Depending on how much money Microsoft actually throws for Call of Duty, one would think that the 2:1 hardware install base wouldn't make sense for Xbox One to receive DLC for a month before the PS4. Plus it's launching like what, a week after Halo 5?

So I could see Sony picking up marketing for it.

Fat4all

Banned
I can see MS not paying for COD this year, its going to be all Halo 5, but fallout 4 I see happening, and that will be huge.

That makes a lot more sense. Also, they've had successful marketing deals with Bethesda in the past.

I could easily see them with the Fallout 4 marketing. Doubt we'll see FO4 in stores this year, though.

Top Bottom