• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

SUV's and trucks seem weird. Unless they're doing some sort of off-road type stuff. Still kind of strange, if my RDX is in there though then all is forgiven.

If no weather (rain!) is in, that's pretty disappointing. That was a bigger deal for me than cockpit view.

Who do I take hostage to change this?

Zyzyxxz

well so far I'm expecting great things from Forza 3.

If GT5 is supposedly coming in 2010 then I'll have the rest of 2009 to play Forza with.

Xirj

The SUV stuff and the alleged reductions in physics modelling (though why would they tone down some stuff and then add the tire flex?) have me worried but the awesome DnB in the replay trailer has me :D .

What is this car?

2e3wq52.jpg

DuckRacer

Honestly, that info from the alleged "Turn10 developer" seems fake. The R35 was in NFS ProStreet and was able to be modified, and ProStreet had some pretty good damage including the ability to roll your car. Plus the R35 was again in Undercover and you were able to modify the living hell out of it. Hell, R35s were cop cars in that game that you could damage enough to take out.

Second off, he mentions Le Mans being the only real licensed track in the game where they're essentially doubling the track count from Forza 2 (using marketing numbers as a basis, Forza 2 had 50 tracks and this will have over 100)? Bullshit. Are they really going to keep all the original tracks and have the rest of the additions be fictional, other than Le Mans? Seriously doubt that.

Maybe I'm wrong and he's an actual Turn 10 developer, but I doubt it. There's too many things that seem sketchy.

blanky

DuckRacer said:
Honestly, that info from the alleged "Turn10 developer" seems fake. The R35 was in NFS ProStreet and was able to be modified, and ProStreet had some pretty good damage including the ability to roll your car. Plus the R35 was again in Undercover and you were able to modify the living hell out of it. Hell, R35s were cop cars in that game that you could damage enough to take out.

Second off, he mentions Le Mans being the only real licensed track in the game where they're essentially doubling the track count from Forza 2 (using marketing numbers as a basis, Forza 2 had 50 tracks and this will have over 100)? Bullshit. Are they really going to keep all the original tracks and have the rest of the additions be fictional, other than Le Mans? Seriously doubt that.

Maybe I'm wrong and he's an actual Turn 10 developer, but I doubt it. There's too many things that seem sketchy.

Exactly. And the comment about the community video seems weird. I don't think it's true at all. It's not that hard to make plausible rumors for racing games any way. Only thing we can do now is either wait for footage to debunk this or for che to help us out here

Hawk269

That Gamespot video was pretty cool..but as much as I like the look of that enviroment, the issue I still see with the game that was present in the Forza 2 is how "static" the enviroment looks. I guess, I am looking for a little more "life" in the enviroments...you know flags flapping in the wind, or something to add some life to the enviroment...big air baloons or something...lol...

I am not asking for Outrun here, but something to bring the tracsk a little bit more life. I also hope for some nightime tracks or some of the same tracks with at least some variety in enviromental lighting.

With 100 tracks...would it be too much to ask that some variations be at night? Dusk? etc. again..just something to add some variety to the game.

Lastly, everything I am reading about F3 sounds great..just need some answers:

1. How many enviroments? We know 100 tracks, but are we talking 10 tracks made out of 1 enviroment? ala that damn test track and the crap load of tracks they made out of that?

2. Night time racing? Dusk...etc? Anything at all like that?

3. How many tracks from F2 are returning to F3?

4. How many more licensed tracks?

5. How many fictional tracks? Don't blast me, but I love real tracks, but I really love fictional tracks...they are able to do more with them that licensed ones.

6. Any tracks from Forza 1 returning?

Lastly...cannot wait for this game regardless of the answers to my questions. As soon as they said "October 2009" it shot to my number 1 anticipated game! Go Turn 10!!!!

ayeorkean

There was an old rumor floating around that the game would be on 3 discs. Will it really be 3 discs? Was it ever debunked? sorry if old...

ayeorkean said:
There was an old rumor floating around that the game would be on 3 discs. Will it really be 3 discs? Was it ever debunked? sorry if old...

Its going to be on two disks last I heard. Also, I hope they had a mountain course like the one in Forza 1.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Aston Martin DBS gameplay from Gamespot.

If only the player had stayed in cockpit view longer.

Edit: When the SL65 AMG Black overtakes him around 10 seconds in, you can see its reflection on the Aston's hood. Nice.
The "seating" position is much closer in this Gamespot video than in the R8 video. I wonder if it's adjustable.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
op_ivy said:
dont know how legit the source is, but apparently he works at turn10...

source GTXF.net
Wait, they have NASCAR stock cars, too? If true, they took the wind out of the only thing that interested me in GT5. Hopefully, there's a few more ovals to go with 'em.

vanty

Cockpit camera in that Ford GT video was definitely better than the Audi stuff from before. If it's adjustable I'd still like to move it up a bit further though, but still in that video it was better than in most games where the interior takes up far too much of the screen. Sounds are good too, but you know they'll put extra effort into stuff like Ford V8s and Ferrari V12s, I just hope that more niche cars like the NSX-R get great audio treatment as well.

FLUXCapacitor said:
And a side note to Turn 10....

As far as the in-car view goes it LOOKS great, but my only concern is will it FEEL great. PGR imo did in-car view right. Some games like TDU and Dirt just didn' feel right to me for some reason. Please don't nail a camera to a board and call it good. PGR's in-car camera seemed to be affected by inertia. When you slowed down or slammed on the brakes the camera would zoom in a little just like your head would move forward in real life from the inertia. So the visuals are there, just please make it feel right!

Well I take back what originally said. After watching the IGN video of the in-car view its quite clear that there is head movement and the camera is effected by inertia. Looks awesome!

Now if only they could get players who can keep the car on the track for more than half the race and not play bumper cars with the competition.

Know how this could be rectified? A *cough* public demo *cough*

vanty. said:
Sounds are good too, but you know they'll put extra effort into stuff like Ford V8s and Ferrari V12s, I just hope that more niche cars like the NSX-R get great audio treatment as well.

As an NSX enthusiast, I was disappointed with the sound of the stock car in FM2. That glorious high-rpm wail deserves to be simulated authentically. The NSX-R did sound pretty fucking amazing in PGR4, though.

Gamespot's stage demo with Dan and Che is up. Skip past the first 2 minutes or so.

Lots of good stuff in there:

-- What's shown of the UI looks slick as hell. Very clean and professional looking.

-- Car models look astonishing in the select screens.

-- Replay camera angles look much improved.

-- Tire deformation simulation ought to have a big impact on handling. Glad to have it in.

-- October 27th release date

rjcc

Spaceman Spiff said:
Gamespot's stage demo with Dan and Che is up. Skip past the first 2 minutes or so.

Lots of good stuff in there:

--What's shown of the UI looks slick as hell. Very clean and professional looking.

Car models look astonishing in the select screens.

Replay camera angles look much improved.

SWEET. it looks like they've tweaked all the things that need fixing

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the background detail is just so far above and beyond other racing games. i cannot wait to get my hands on this. che, a demo on the marketplace would score you some major points

are all the tracks in the e3 demo from the same environment? from the stage demo, it looks like the mounatin side course and the test track, and another, yet unseen (?), called sierra

I'm not sure I'll ever know what happened between Forza 2's development and Forza 3's to lead to such a dramatic increase in car quality (even beyond just increasing the poly count), but its really great to see such incredible looking cars in a Forza game.

jaydogg691

Forza 3 is pretty cool. I'm surprised that racing in the Cockpit view drops the to framerate to 30fps. Hopefully they change that by release.

h3ro

Anyone else hoping for a PGR style Garage interface? I'd love to actually see all the cars in my garage, especially considering Forza's livery editor and customization options. Feels much more immersed in the game. Perhaps a paddock for your race cars and a proper house garage for the sports cars.

Really looking forward to this one. October 27th is circled on my calendar.

SuperBonk

h3ro said:
Anyone else hoping for a PGR style Garage interface? I'd love to actually see all the cars in my garage, especially considering Forza's livery editor and customization options. Feels much more immersed in the game. Perhaps a paddock for your race cars and a proper house garage for the sports cars.

Really looking forward to this one. October 27th is circled on my calendar.
This would be fantastic.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
jaydogg691 said:
Forza 3 is pretty cool. I'm surprised that racing in the Cockpit view drops the to framerate to 30fps. Hopefully they change that by release.

Where did you pull that from? Seriously

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDlE4s0X4so

Show me where did the framerate ever drop from 60fps there when he made the switch to the cockpit view..

Don't believe him..

60 fps all the way in the video not one stutter.

Unless he somehow saw it in replay mode, and as some of you might know replays in FM2 where 30fps because of extra AA and detail.

Brashnir

Slayer-33 said:

Show me where did the framerate ever drop from 60fps there when he made the switch to the cockpit view..

Don't believe him..

you're telling me that you can tell from a 30fps off-screen shaky cam youtube video that cockpit view is definitely 60fps?

That's pretty impressive.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Brashnir said:
you're telling me that you can tell from a 30fps off-screen shaky cam youtube video that cockpit view is definitely 60fps?

That's pretty impressive.

yes it's not hard.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
evolution said:
Oh you played it? Well if true that fuckin blows.

i'll wait for someone else to collaborate his story. odd we havent heard that from any other source.

jaydogg691

Slayer-33 said:

Don't believe him..

You do know that all video on YouTube is encoded at 30fps. I got to play the game at E3 and the cockpit view drops the framerate to 30fps.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
jaydogg691 said:
You do know that all video on YouTube is encoded at 30fps. I got to play the game at E3 and the cockpit view drops the framerate to 30fps.

Nope HD video on it is max is 60 FPS.

lol... this is where it gets good.

I UPLOADED that video, it's my youtube channel... now. Let me explain something very clearly.

If you encode a video @ 60FPS its for a reason. It is because the content is 60 F P S, not because it's running @ 30 FPS. Because you cannot show a game that is actually running at 30fps running @ 60 FPS just because you encoded that way. Now you can show a 60FPS game @ 30 FPS if you DO encode the video capped at 30 FPS and the game will look like it's running at 30 FPS, makes sense right?

Ask Blimblim, it's his websites video he capped that, all I did was throw it on YT and give him credit.

Forza 3 RUNS at 60 FPS in and out of the cockpit, end of story. Now if this was seen in a Replay by you and it actually runs @ 30 fps in the replay then that's another story.

Something like that would not be allowed to happen by MS.

Get CHE in here.

jaydogg691 said:
Which Forza 3 did you play? Everyone else (including myself) played the 60fps one. You should have asked for the 60fps version. They were hiding these from you.

SSM25

strange_booj said:
Of course, I wish. I'm going to buy GT5 just for the Rally racing. Wish Forza would have included it, even just with Rally cars.

Oh shit I just saw the GT5 trailer, Rally is Back!!! yeeees!!!!....... I wish Forza would include rally racing but I guess that out of the scope of the game, and it's fine cause it's going to be great.

Top Bottom