• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TJP

Any idea which ones?
Can't say, NDA ;)

More PCARS prices and Season Pass info from MMOGA

Limited Edition for £29: http://uk.mmoga.net/Steam-Games/Project-CARS-Limited-Edtion.html

Season Pass (PC version) is available too: http://uk.mmoga.net/Steam-Games/Proj...ason-Pass.html

Contents of the Season Pass:
  • A discount compared with the separate purchase prices
  • A week's early access so that you can be a nose ahead of your competition forever
  • 50 exclusive car coats, allow you to bring your team affiliation to express and make a good impression on the track at the same time
  • Car Pack "Racing Icons"
  • Extension "Audi Ruapuna Speedway"
  • Car Pack "New for Old"
  • Extension "Red Bull Ignition"
  • Car Pack "Aston Martin"
  • Extension "Lotus Classic"
  • Car Pack "Renault Sport"
  • Extension "Toyota & Mitsubishi Macau"
  • Extension "Ford Oval Racing"
I've never used the MMOGA website so I cannot vouch for this seller unlike GMG or GamersGate. As always, do your research and make your choice.

Group 5 pack is probably my favorite piece of RaceRoom content so far. The cars all have great individual character. Love the brake zones you get from the 80's brakes/tires/powah. Those sounds too, I mean you just can't overstate how badass they are.

I'm still trying to recover from the ffb changes made last update, but I'm gaining on it I think. It needs additional work on their end however.

Zeth

This is a good way to get a bunch of tracks:

Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg
Brands Hatch
Red Bull Ring
Lausitzring
Norisring
Moscow Raceway
Nürburgring
Oschersleben
Circuit Park Zandvoort

Awesome. Just installed Raceroom for the first time - any car suggestions? Especially if they're on sale I guess.

Looks like it might take some tinkering to get good settings with my T300.

Awesome. Just installed Raceroom for the first time - any car suggestions? Especially if they're on sale I guess.

Looks like it might take some tinkering to get good settings with my T300.

I think the general consensus is that the cars done within the last 8-10 months are superior. DTM 2014 onwards ('14 DTM, 92' DTM, ADAC, GT2, G5). They are built on a newer physics iteration. I don't have any firsthand experience with that however. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

I highly recommend trying before buying. Go to the store, and just test drive a bunch of stuff.

FFB yeah, it's a bit of a mess atm. Check the RR forum, or Race Dept for suggestions.

I drove the Zakspeed Capris of RR and pCARS back-to-back last night, and at the top of the laundry list of differences was the quality of the ffb.

Ark

How does the Project Cars limited edition work? If I go with the standard version, will I lose out on the eight(?) cars listed as bonuses in the GMG version? It's £10 cheaper for me to get the standard version, so obviously I'd rather get that than pay for arbitrary pre-order content.

How does the Project Cars limited edition work? If I go with the standard version, will I lose out on the eight(?) cars listed as bonuses in the GMG version? It's £10 cheaper for me to get the standard version, so obviously I'd rather get that than pay for arbitrary pre-order content.

My understanding is yes, that's correct. I'm not sure if/when those cars will be made available later.

Tony G from iRacing Q&A vid (just pics and audio, recorded early March).

Lots of non-specifics, but here are a few tidbits:

• New track surface model looks likely for S3 (June)
  • DX11 looks likely for (guess) S1 (Dec). Graphically similar, perf. increase, opens door for lots of other things.
  • Tire model improvements for S3
  • Ferrari license is too expensive
  • Investment in co. that's doing CFD on iRacing's models. IndyCar will be first to see fruit
  • DBR9 vs C6R for S3

Ark

Looking forward to the new GT1-ish series for season 2 then. Whoop.

I think I'm going to jump on that GMG Project Cars deal too, between that and TW3 I'm going to be sorted until September.

Helznicht

Looking for some help guys, my new (to me) DFGT wheel is arriving today, so i went looking for the Logitech driver for PC. I cant find a link for them anywhere. I think I am supposd to use version "Logitech Profiler Software 5.10.127" as its the latest the supports the DFGT. Only links I could find look ..... untrustworthy.

I know lots of you guys moved on to bigger and better ones, hopefully a few of you still use this one. Also I also read a couple places that the wheel is supported by the bulit in windows HID drivers, but that you loose the 900 deg and several buttons (including the shift).

Thanks for any help in advance.

Megasoum

Banned
What?!? Can you quote what was said at all? It's blocked at work :(

Haven't seen anything official from Cody but multiple Cody forum members are talking about the game as not having a career at all... Not sure about the details.

It's not new for the first game in a franchise on a new gen platform to loose some features but this is really stupid.

TJP

I think the general consensus is that the cars done within the last 8-10 months are superior. DTM 2014 onwards ('14 DTM, 92' DTM, ADAC, GT2, G5). They are built on a newer physics iteration. I don't have any firsthand experience with that however. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.
Spot on. Sector 3 is a very small team and even smaller than the old team at SimBin. The newer content has the latest physics and tyre updates, the older content will be updated to the latest spec once the back log of cars, tracks and experiences has been cleared. Don't think for a second the dev's like the old non-updated cars ;)

I drove the Zakspeed Capris of RR and pCARS back-to-back last night, and at the top of the laundry list of differences was the quality of the ffb.
The FFB in R3E is always being worked on, irrespective of builds as it's still in beta. I'd imagine PCARS has the FFB settings largely nailed down by now.

The latest build has some new tweaks but the FFB remains a along way off being 'perfect'. Race 07 feels better, so I'd imagine along with the all-new graphics engine there are some addtions to the physics and FFB. I'd love Sector 3 to use RealFeel like Reiza do, I've mentioned this many times to the dev team already, but sector 3 either don't want to, cannot or won't because they believe they can do better.

The R3E forum threads to follow for RRE is Controller Profiles and the older FFB Guide.

:O Well that's come from left field!

I won't buy it impressions unread, but if it's actually legit, I'll do so on the spot.

Very exciting! Oh, see there even a thread.

ruttyboy

So I bought that Simbin Mega Bundle* and having never played any of these games I'd really appreciate some thoughts on what to try out first? Is there anything that supercedes anything else, anything not worth bothering with etc.?

As a reminder here's what's in the bundle:

GT Legends
GT Power Expansion
GTR - FIA GT Racing Game
GTR 2 FIA GT Racing Game
GTR Evolution Expansion Pack for RACE 07
RACE 07
RACE 07 - Formula RaceRoom Add-On
RACE 07 - Andy Priaulx Crowne Plaza Raceway
RACE Injection
RACE On
RACE: Caterham Expansion
RACE - The WTCC Game
The Retro Expansion
STCC - The Game 1 - Expansion Pack for RACE 07
STCC II
The WTCC 2010 Pack

* And a spare copy of STCC 2 as it wasn't listed on the bundle page but is actually included... d'oh!

Watevaman

So I bought that Simbin Mega Bundle* and having never played any of these games I'd really appreciate some thoughts on what to try out first? Is there anything that supercedes anything else, anything not worth bothering with etc.?

As a reminder here's what's in the bundle:

GT Legends
GT Power Expansion
GTR - FIA GT Racing Game
GTR 2 FIA GT Racing Game
GTR Evolution Expansion Pack for RACE 07
RACE 07
RACE 07 - Formula RaceRoom Add-On
RACE 07 - Andy Priaulx Crowne Plaza Raceway
RACE Injection
RACE On
RACE: Caterham Expansion
RACE - The WTCC Game
The Retro Expansion
STCC - The Game 1 - Expansion Pack for RACE 07
STCC II
The WTCC 2010 Pack

* And a spare copy of STCC 2 as it wasn't listed on the bundle page but is actually included... d'oh!

Pretty much all of the RACE/STCC/WTCC (and GTREvo) stuff is all one game with different content packages. You don't actually need GT Legends because there's a mod called Power & Glory that pretty much adds all that stuff and I believe some more in a GTR2 mod.

Personally, GTR2 will always be one of my favorite sims. There are a lot out there that have surpassed it in terms of physics, but something about the experience you get in GTR2 just makes it my favorite. There are so many mods out there for it due to its age that just make it so well-rounded.

Ark

God dammit. I bought into the hype and ordered the GMG Project Cars thing for £29.99. I'm not even going to play it much to begin with because that's the GT3 Monza week in iRacing and The Witcher 3 comes out like a week later.

And now I've got DiRT Rally to try and not buy? Ah my god.

Anyone here order the Thrustmaster Pro Pedals? They were supposed to be out 4/13 and now they're date unavailable. I've been holding off on playing anything until I get good pedals. I originally ordered the Wide pedals in January then cancelled them for the Pros while waiting. Now the Pros are out and the Wide are available.

Megasoum

Banned
Anyone here order the Thrustmaster Pro Pedals? They were supposed to be out 4/13 and now they're date unavailable. I've been holding off on playing anything until I get good pedals. I originally ordered the Wide pedals in January then cancelled them for the Pros while waiting. Now the Pros are out and the Wide are available.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Thrustmaster... It's always at least a month late after the original release date. I ended up cancelling my TM 28 rim like 2 weeks after the intended release date and it was still not available.

ruttyboy

Pretty much all of the RACE/STCC/WTCC (and GTREvo) stuff is all one game with different content packages. You don't actually need GT Legends because there's a mod called Power & Glory that pretty much adds all that stuff and I believe some more in a GTR2 mod.

Personally, GTR2 will always be one of my favorite sims. There are a lot out there that have surpassed it in terms of physics, but something about the experience you get in GTR2 just makes it my favorite. There are so many mods out there for it due to its age that just make it so well-rounded.

Thanks, I'll give GTR2 a shot first. Slightly wincing at the thought of setting up my wheel correctly though, so many options! Anyone know a good setup for the G27?

Mascot

Thanks, I'll give GTR2 a shot first. Slightly wincing at the thought of setting up my wheel correctly though, so many options! Anyone know a good setup for the G27?

GTR2 is awesome. And being an old game, even my shitty Vaio laptop can do 60-car grids at 1080p/60fps.

Get the Power & Glory mod for it too.

GamerMuscle's Accuforce video is pretty hilarious. He's just awestruck.

I could shoot that frontend feel, and self-centering straight into my veins like a ffb junkie. It's a creditcard's worst nightmare, that is.

TJP

Any guesses which sim this is from? ;)
CDsoHvRW8AE5LF6.jpg:large

I got my TM leather GT wheel yesterday. Pretty nice!

I'm really surprised with how the reduction of diameter (measured 3/4"), and slightly less weight/improved distribution has on the ffb. With a smaller moment of inertia, it's noticeably quicker with more torque to the hands.

Add that to holding a physically smaller wheel with much closer paddle shifters, and the experience is more different than I thought it would be. I wasn't really expecting an adjustment period!

I prefer holding the larger diameter wheel, but the pluses for the smaller one can't be denied.

I got my TM leather GT wheel yesterday. Pretty nice!

I'm really surprised with how the reduction of diameter (measured 3/4"), and slightly less weight/improved distribution has on the ffb. With a smaller moment of inertia, it's noticeably quicker with more torque to the hands.

Add that to holding a physically smaller wheel with much closer paddle shifters, and the experience is more different than I thought it would be. I wasn't really expecting an adjustment period!

I prefer holding the larger diameter wheel, but the pluses for the smaller one can't be denied.
Glad to hear you finally got one! It's quite an interesting size/weight - makes for a pretty good 'F1' style wheel, while still being just about big enough to use for the slower stuff.

I'll put my DiRT Rally vid here too: https://youtu.be/j6tEZ-EaJzk

Top Bottom