• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
The other thing is that Forza 2's development wasn't that smooth. There have been all sorts of stories about its rocky development. I think if anything the awesomeness of FM3 demonstrates just how crazy and turbulent Forza 2's development was. Obviously someone at the Microsoft mothership sat down with the studio to straighten everything out. Maybe it was just a matter of getting the right people (both quality and quantity) and streamlining the development process (similar to what Bungie went through between Halo 2 and Halo 3). The fact that Turn 10 has cranked up everything so much says a lot about what was left on the table after Forza 2 was pushed out the door.

skyfinch

Andronicus said:
didn't polyphony design some parts of the GT-R.......yeah

They designed the screen part in the center of the dash.
112_0803_06z+2009_nissan_GTR+interior_view.jpg

RSTEIN

Slayer-33 said:
About that cockpit 60fps/30 it SEEMS that it's running @ 30FPS in that game trailers video because the video is encoded @ 30fps. Take a look, people like me that can see the difference look at the guys arm moving and judge their fps, looks like it's 30fps but only because of the video encode.

Well, we won't know for sure until Che gives us an answer but people who played it at e3 say it feels like 30fps in cockpit.

HokieJoe

Lionheart1827 said:
I dont get the hype about the GT-R. I'd rather drive a Lambo or a ZR-1 vette.

Performance-wise, it deserves some hype. Considering the curb weight, Nissan took an AWD platform and made it sing. Otherwise, I agree with you- the GT-R just doesn't do it for me either.

Gimme' a Blue Devil, purty red Ferrari, or a black Lambo.

RSTEIN said:
Well, we won't know for sure until Che gives us an answer but people who played it at e3 say it feels like 30fps in cockpit.

I'm willing to bet even that will be at 60 by the time it ships. I mean, you don't exhaust so much effort getting it to 60, make it such an important bullet point that it's at 60, and then leave one of the views at 30.

hgplayer1

Slayer-33 said:
Start drooling

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50683.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie-L60FEOTY

/end

About that cockpit 60fps/30 it SEEMS that it's running @ 30FPS in that game trailers video because the video is encoded @ 30fps. Take a look, people like me that can see the difference look at the guys arm (real life not game) moving and judge their fps, looks like it's 30fps but only because of the video encode.

lol at the GT vid

first his face is covered by the speaker...then he says "cameano veeho" ...then he admits to sucking at driving and going A/T. cant blame him though hes giving an interview while in that awesome hydraulic chair.....then he rewinds and says so that never happened then he hits the same wall....then he tries to flip and fails... lol

skyfinch

hgplayer1 said:
lol at the GT vid

first his face is covered by the speaker...then he says "cameano veeho" ...then he admits to sucking at driving and going A/T. cant blame him though hes giving an interview while in that awesome hydraulic chair.....then he rewinds and says so that never happened then he hits the same wall....then he tries to flip and fails... lol

:D :lol He also forgets where the green button is.

I might be the only one, but I hope the livery are harder to copy. I bought rare cars only to see them everywhere on the auction block, but then again I did sell a million in space bucks for $25 in real bucks on ebay. I hope they make the custom designs harder to come by.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Slayer-33 said:
Start drooling

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50683.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie-L60FEOTY

/end

About that cockpit 60fps/30 it SEEMS that it's running @ 30FPS in that game trailers video because the video is encoded @ 30fps. Take a look, people like me that can see the difference look at the guys arm (real life not game) moving and judge their fps, looks like it's 30fps but only because of the video encode.

Damn! Gameplay Replay looks awesome. I bet there will be some cost (money taken away from the reward) for using it in career mode.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
RSTEIN said:
The other thing is that Forza 2's development wasn't that smooth. There have been all sorts of stories about its rocky development. I think if anything the awesomeness of FM3 demonstrates just how crazy and turbulent Forza 2's development was. Obviously someone at the Microsoft mothership sat down with the studio to straighten everything out. Maybe it was just a matter of getting the right people (both quality and quantity) and streamlining the development process (similar to what Bungie went through between Halo 2 and Halo 3). The fact that Turn 10 has cranked up everything so much says a lot about what was left on the table after Forza 2 was pushed out the door.

i have never heard this until this e3. can i bother you to find anything suggesting this? its not that i dont believe you, i'm genuinely curious.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bloodforge said:
All of 2 people have said that.

1 guy. the other said something to the extent of it looking like 30. EVERYWHERE else (ie, reputable sources) have just said 60fps.

golem

skyfinch said:
They designed the screen part in the center of the dash.
112_0803_06z+2009_nissan_GTR+interior_view.jpg
good god that dash is horrid

op_ivy said:
1 guy. the other said something to the extent of it looking like 30. EVERYWHERE else (ie, reputable sources) have just said 60fps.

could just have been an older build we were playing.. im sure che will chime in sooner or later. also the last people to call me unreputable over something at E3 were the fallout nutcases over at NMA, sorry i just tell it how i see it.

op_ivy said:
Make that 3 guys (including me) now. Here's the whole story:

Today, I went and checked out the game that was NOT the 3 screen motorized seat set up (meaning, a regular kiosk w controller). In that set up, the camera change button is the standard right bumper as explained in the load screen. In the wheels/3 screen set up, they had to remap the buttons so searching for the right bumper would not have mattered (It's X button if you care). So basically, no one ever changed the camera from the cockpit view when they played one of those awesome 3 screen set ups (and why would you? the whole set up was to emulate the in car experience). But with the regular kiosk, it's easy to figure out how to change the camera and everybody does it.

On Tuesday, I played nothing but the wheel/3 screen set up (because it's so damn cool, obviously), so I just took in whatever the framerate I saw as 60 that was reported (yes, my internal frame rate counter is obviously not well calibrated).

Today, I tried out the regular kiosk. And when you change the camera away from the cockpit view, it's VERY easy to see that it's running less smoothly than the other views! I don't know if the cockpit view is running 30, 40, or 45 fps, but it's definitely less than whatever the other views are (probably 60, which I can't say for sure since my internal frame rate detector seems to suck). VERY easy to see the difference cycling through the views.

So I talked to one of the devs manning the kiosks. Here's the deal: The cockpit view was implemented last, and it employs a different lighting model than the other views. Thus it needs way more optimizing than the other views. Dan was there, so I cornered him on this. He says wait until final code. They will get there (FYI, the E3 demo code is about a month old).

So that's the whole story. Whoever that guy was in this thread was right on. Props to him and my apologies for doubting him.

DuckRacer

Forza 3 will indeed ship on two discs. One of them will be the full game, another will include a bunch of extra cars and a few extra tracks for data transfer to the 360's hard drive.
Joystick said:
In an interview with *******, Forza Motorsport 3 content director John Wendl of Turn 10, confirmed the upcoming racer would ship on two discs. As rumors last year noted, the core game will come on the game's first disc while the second will be reserved for other content -- such as vehicles and maps. "It is going to ship on two discs," Wendl said. "Disc one is the full experience, even disc one is bigger than any other racing game out there. Disc two includes a lot of extra cars, even a handful of tracks."

When asked if the second disc would act as a data transfer, downloading the additional content to the hard drive for use with the first disc, Wendl told us that was "exactly right." While Turn 10 assures all gamers will be able to enjoy the full Forza 3 experience, we now have confirmation that not all gamers will be able to enjoy all 400 vehicles promised at the Microsoft press briefing.
http://tinyurl.com/p9vv48

So it will basically partially install to the hard drive. I'm ok with it but I can see how this will be a problem if it keeps happening. I have a 20GB hard drive after all and I can't install more than one game at the same time.

tahrikmili said:
So it will basically partially install to the hard drive. I'm ok with it but I can see how this will be a problem if it keeps happening. I have a 20GB hard drive after all and I can't install more than one game at the same time.

I'm in the same boat, but hopefully the cars and tracks on the second disc won't take up as much space as a full game install, (which I'll use for the core game anyways). I'd much rather they implement it as a 2-disc set than cut content or charge for it as DLC later on.

The framerate issues are a bit worrisome, but there's months of dev time to go; surely T10 will have it straightened out when it comes time to ship.

h3ro

Shogmaster said:
I'm down to 24GB in my Elite. :(

Time to clean out the old stuff. I cleaned out my old demos/videos but left most of my current games installed (7-8 titles, including the last two discs of Lost Odyssey and lots of Gears 2 map packs).

65.5GB free. :D

santouras said:
I would kill for that hydraulic triple screen setup.......
No need to kill anyone. Just $50,000. LOLZ

h3ro said:
Time to clean out the old stuff. I cleaned out my old demos/videos but left most of my current games installed (7-8 titles, including the last two discs of Lost Odyssey and lots of Gears 2 map packs).

65.5GB free. :D

You're right. Time to do spring cleaning of demos.

h3ro

I second the request for the wheel impressions. How was the clutch pressure and if you used it, were you able to initiate a drift via clutch kick?

I'm glad they are taking the 2 disc approach and not compromising the quality/quantity of cars/tracks to make the game work on a single disc. People with Arcades can play the game, but won't get the extra stuff. Works fine by me.

Is that the wheel in the hydraulics set up? That wheel is definitely better than the MS wheel. Less deadness in the center. Decent amount of force feedback. More oomph than the MS wheel in that regard IIRC. Pretty good D pad and buttons. Not too intuitive in layout of the buttons though. Looked good however.

The clutch was turned off as was the gear shift. Only paddle shift was used.

DuckRacer said:
Forza 3 will indeed ship on two discs. One of them will be the full game, another will include a bunch of extra cars and a few extra tracks for data transfer to the 360's hard drive.

http://tinyurl.com/p9vv48

Now I wonder if that'll mean we'll have three versions shipping? Single disc for HDD-less people, two-disc for the full experience and 3 discs for those sad nerdlingers who like to pretend their race drivers

is the LE coming to the UK? :p

We need Che back in this thread, so many questions being raised, no-one here to answer them :(

Iknos

Shogmaster said:
So that's the whole story. Whoever that guy was in this thread was right on. Props to him and my apologies for doubting him.

I never doubted him. What I was wondering was if it had motion blur as well, because that may have fooled some people.

If it wasn't locked at 30fps (meaning 30-60 and everywhere in between, which can have a jerky appearance to it) that would indicate to me that they are definitely in the process of optimizing it.

faberpach

I hope they would do something with the car decoration as EA has don with NFL franchise.

Let people edit cars from their PCs now that would be huge.

It's a good thing I don't install games to my launch HDD isn't it, and since F3 is using a 2nd dvd I guess it's going to be more then just a few hundred MB for an install...

The reason why I don't install to my launch hdd is because of performance issues, for what I have read and seen all launch hdd's are not as nimble-quick as the later drives, probably why I see little to no difference in loading for forza 2, gears of war etc.

Yet again it sucks to be a launch owner. Not fooling for it again next gen.

RSTEIN

Ok, so this is an important news day! I'm glad we got the whole 30fps think sorted out. Hopefully the final code will be running at a buttery smooth 60fps.

I LOVE THE IDEA OF A SECOND DISC INSTALL! Actually, many months ago, I thought that this would happen with several 2nd/3rd gen Xbox 360 games. I presented this view and was laughed at. The first hint came when Rockstar said that they were indeed hitting disc limitations with GTAIV but they weren't worried about GTAV because "we've come up with a solution with Microsoft." The ONLY possible solution is to have a second disc that installs directly to the HDD and really isn't touched again. Of course arcade gamers are a bit screwed here but unfortunately this is the way it has to be.

op_ivy said:
i have never heard this until this e3. can i bother you to find anything suggesting this? its not that i dont believe you, i'm genuinely curious.

Unfortunately there's really no big expose or anything out there. Just stories here in there. May be 100% false but I think it's obvious from the final product that Forza 2 had a lot of problems along the way (the final product happens to be one of the best racers ever!). The fact that there's such a huge improvement with the core engine in Forza 3 is proof of this.

RSTEIN said:
Unfortunately there's really no big expose or anything out there.

I recall talking about it on this very forum some time ago, if I remember correctly the last two/three months of development saved it from being an absolute disaster.

rjcc

Diablohead said:
The reason why I don't install to my launch hdd is because of performance issues, for what I have read and seen all launch hdd's are not as nimble-quick as the later drives, probably why I see little to no difference in loading for forza 2, gears of war etc.

Yet again it sucks to be a launch owner. Not fooling for it again next gen.

....which isn't true

chris0701

too good to be true!!

順番に紹介していくと、まずグラフィックスと物理演算に関しては、前作の720p/60フレーム表示から、1080p/60フレーム表示に進化させ、400車種すべてにリアルなコックピットビューを搭載。カーモデルに関しては、前作の10倍のポリゴンを使用しており

Forza 3 will be 1080p/60fps,10x polygons of forza 2.
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090603_212305.html

Top Bottom