• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Rereading the Tsukihime manga and I have to say that I'm loving it even more the second time around. This really is a work that rewards the reader for dissecting it, I'm also approaching the conclusion that Arcueid may very well in fact be the best TM girl.

The manga adaptions of Type-Moon stuff seem to turn out pretty well, be it something dark like Fate/zero or something more crazy and comedic at times like Melty Blood.

I've enjoyed Tsukihime too but probably I've loved the Fate/stay night manga more given how well it was executed and because it has Saber (Arcueid is nice but Saber is bess TM girl for me).

Blusby

The manga adaptions of Type-Moon stuff seem to turn out pretty well, be it something dark like Fate/zero or something more crazy and comedic at times like Melty Blood.

I've enjoyed Tsukihime too but probably I've loved the Fate/stay night manga more given how well it was executed and because it has Saber (Arcueid is nice but Saber is bess TM girl for me).

I've been meaning to check out the Fate/Zero manga, I should really get to that soon. Also you'd probably be interested to know that Heaven's Feel is getting a manga adaptation starting in May: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-03/fate-stay-night-heaven-feel-route-gets-manga/.86659

ReLife 1-38
I will continue on reading this.
I don't know what to say about this really, but I am enjoying this.

Maou na Ore to Fushihime no Yubiwa 1-13
It's another guilty pleasure. Somehow it's not too suffocating to me at least.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'll be in Tokyo for a month in August, wish me luck.

Good luck and have fun.
And report any concert you attend while you there :p

The Asano section!

PunPun special editions

Someone please tell me why I shouldn't go back tomorrow to buy this special edition(2500 yen) for that Aiko shirt.

Which probably wouldn't fit me due to being too small. Actually if someone could find some info on that it would be much appreciated.

I'd need to get a single girl first
I wouldn't feel comfortable building an harem.

I feel so opressed.

I did see a Japanese women checking KMIN at a manga store today, clearly someone with superior tastes.

BEAUTIFUL

Obama senpai~

Jintor

don't worry i'll write you all into the tag manga i'm writing

or the pillowfighting manga

i've forgotten the other mangas i was writing. what were we writing again

huW4n.png
huWaz.jpg

Allaur

So... Yeasterday I decided to try Molester Man. Finished it right now...
People who recomend it always should say that it's not about molestering! Then I would've read it much sooner.

It was such a rollercoaster of emotions. Till the very end I still had a feeling that it might have sad ending... I confirmed for myself that it's based on story from real life only after finishing manga so you should understand my feelings when I began to think that Kansai suits MC much better than miss understanding when he still had his eyes on later. Oh, how glad I was after it turned other way around ("First girl MC see in manga usually wins" trope is still strong).
Anyway, I'm really happy for characters (I doesn't care that way for any character in manga for a long time... (cause Kansai is really da best)), comedy elements here were hit and miss for me (usually hit, but some dumb jokes still were here), but romance and slice of life stuff were portrayed in a great way.
Don't know what else to say... It was a great read. Definitely will read it again.

I probably should add that the fact that mangaka showed how MC and Kansai talked about TV shows, animals, music and other stuff really added to romance a lot. Cause I don't even remember about what lovey-dovey couples talk in manga - food and family mostly...

People who recomend it always should say that it's not about molestering! Then I would've read it much sooner.

Trust me, that title is truly the bane of this really good manga.
Even How I stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumbled upon the Zenithian Sword suffered from this.

Shamo 33-34 [End]

Whew, shitbros arc done, we finallly gon git Sugawara comeback, right? No idea how the artist will pull it off in just two volumes.
*continues reading*
1154.gif

Artist legit went
181.gif

That ain't hyperbole. That is exactly what he did.

Shamo is, and forever will be, one of the harshest examples of what happens when you lose your writer and think you can pull it off solo. Until you realize, after years struggling, that you done fucked up royally son.

Fml, what started with an absurdly promissing premisse, looking into youth crime, assertion of identity, (lack of) reintegration to society and the like, ended up degenerating into a tournament manga, then into a magical tournament manga, and then devolved even further. Volume 32 was a complete fakeout.

Gods. Fuck this shit.

Quixzlizx

Rereading the Tsukihime manga and I have to say that I'm loving it even more the second time around. This really is a work that rewards the reader for dissecting it, I'm also approaching the conclusion that Arcueid may very well in fact be the best TM girl.

How many of the middle volumes suffer from that barely good enough to even be Engrish translation? That's where I stalled out when I tried to read it the first time. Or did you read in Japanese?

360pages

How many of the middle volumes suffer from that barely good enough to even be Engrish translation? That's where I stalled out when I tried to read it the first time. Or did you read in Japanese?

It was based off a novel, and unlike the horrible Anime, the did decide to keep almost everything in. So it does slow down around the middle.

So a while back I asked for recs for some good romance in manga (whether its action with a side of romance or just a romance manga in general) and I got these recs. I haven't gotten around to reading them but anyone else have any other suggestions before I delve in? (Though it seems I might have enough already here)

Late, but I knew something was missing from this list.Uwagaki and Mayo Chiki need reading if you haven't yet.

I want to read this but I need to play DQ5 first.

Take your time really, the artist is putting the manga on hold(indefinitely) for his own work.

Shin Kurosawa 24

Oh my God, what's wrong with your face?

Minamoto-kun Monogatari 163

Man this moves at such a slow pace for being so short so it's weird when anything happens

upandaway

It was such a rollercoaster of emotions. Till the very end I still had a feeling that it might have sad ending... I confirmed for myself that it's based on story from real life only after finishing manga so you should understand my feelings when I began to think that Kansai suits MC much better than miss understanding when he still had his eyes on later. Oh, how glad I was after it turned other way around ("First girl MC see in manga usually wins" trope is still strong).
Anyway, I'm really happy for characters (I doesn't care that way for any character in manga for a long time... (cause Kansai is really da best)), comedy elements here were hit and miss for me (usually hit, but some dumb jokes still were here), but romance and slice of life stuff were portrayed in a great way.
Don't know what else to say... It was a great read. Definitely will read it again.

I probably should add that the fact that mangaka showed how MC and Kansai talked about TV shows, animals, music and other stuff really added to romance a lot. Cause I don't even remember about what lovey-dovey couples talk in manga - food and family mostly...
Yeah it really hits some good notes on it, it felt really refreshing. Easily my favorite ManGAF group read.

If you haven't read the other YOKO-related manga you should get on that too

xBJppe0.png

Yes, Ichigo.

Now is the appropriate time to be surprised when 2nd/3rd best Arrancar makes his return.

Even more so when he's the one that looks alot like you.

Seven Seas licenses Not Lives

High school student Mikami has always been an eccentric oddball who doesn’t quite fit in. He doesn't mind though, as he has other passions that consume him. Little do his classmates know, Mikami moonlights as a game designer extraordinaire. His current mission is simple: create the ultimate romance game!

But when Mikami tries to play a strange game that mysteriously appears among his research material, things take a bizarre turn as he's suddenly thrust into a survival game and transformed into a girl! And complicating things even further, if Mikami loses inside the game, it’s not only his female avatar that’s on the line, but his very own life! Will Mikami survive this new adventure, or is he too excited to care?

Big One

Banned
So lately I've been really getting down on collecting Pokemon Adventures volumes. I got everything released in English by Viz with the exception of B/W arcs. For the past few weeks I've been reading these off and on but I've yet to comment on them outside of Red/Blue/Green/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Pokemon Adventures: Ruby & Sapphire

At first I had my doubts about this one. Focusing the arc so much on Pokemon Contests is not my cup of tea at all, but both Ruby and Sapphire were likable protagonists enough to carry me through. I ended up being pleasantly surprised by this one, and while it wasn't as refined as the G/S/C arc, it was still a pretty solid ride and I could easily see people finding this one to be one of the better arcs in the series. They did a good job for the first time they really focused on a brand new cast of characters I felt.

Pokemon Adventures: Fire Red & Leaf Green

One word to describe this arc: Epic. The new Rocket grunts are meh, but this entire arc overall is probably the most solid in the entire series, if you ignore the end. The only issue with it is that I feel like this arc could've had more legs to it, but for the three volumes of content it has, it's really damn good stuff. Everytime Red, Blue, and Green appear in the series they become better and better characters. Silver's arc in here was also pretty great.

Pokemon Adventures: Emerald (incomplete)

I have two more volumes to read of this, because of a lack of English release. But so far this has to be the most disappointing arc I've ever came across. The main character is about as bullshit as you can get, expecting the readers to believe he's some type of great trainer even though he hasn't had any development or arc of his own like every other trainer in the series. At least when Yellow was introduced, she was largely an inexperienced trainer and we saw her grow and develop. Maybe this changes with Emerald later on, but overall I'm down on this one.

Pokemon Adventures: Diamond & Pearl

The beginning of this arc was a very slow start. Honestly all three main characters I was very meh on at first, and the comedy shit got annoying and old fast cause of how much times was spent interrupting battles doing it. As the arc went on however, it got progressively better with a lot of time spent on character development. The ending climax with the batshit Cyrus was epic as well. However I feel as a whole, it was less solid than R/S or G/S/C arcs, but it's right behind it quality-wise as far as I'm concerned.

Pokemon Adventures: Platinum

Pretty meh arc overall. Best way to describe this arc: Rushed as hell. I guess that's understandable cause there was probably a need to close it to get to B/W, which I'll be getting later to this week. It was nice to see some closure to some of the stuff unresolved in the previous arcs. Also, wtf happened to Sird? Talk about wasted plotline. Maybe they're saving her for the inevitable revisit when D/P gets remade.

Pokemon Adventures: Heart Gold & Soul Silver

This is a pretty awesome little arc as well, but feels very rushed. It's nice to see Giovanni and Pryce back to set the younger generation of Team Rocket straight, and I suppose they left Team Rocket's status as being a bad guy group int he air for future exploration. The suggested crush Kris has on Gold unfortunately went nowhere, as did a lot of things in this arc. It tied nicely to the D/P arc as well.

Shengar

At this point, my Bechdel test on anime and manga will include fourth requirement

1. It has to have at least two women in it,
2. who talk to each other,
3. about something besides a man.
4. while not touching each other

bobohoro

Oyasumi Punpun Vol 3-5

askdalksjdljqalsjdlajsldjlakjlskjdlkj!"ß

Had some time to reflect on it, although I think as a first reaction I couldn't have voiced it any better. Some of the ideas of both Punpun and Uncle hit a bit too close to home - sans the violent urges - and the masterful display of both romantic downfalls side by side felt like a 1-2-punch to the gut.

It's a tough one, especially with the existential and philosophical overtones that brings up many questions I myself never found answers to and just locked away in the back of mind for the time being. Having it shoved into your face that there simple is no sense in dwelling on those things, that we at times are just passengers to the scenarios unfolding and ultimately may be defined as human beings by our weakest moments in life is a pretty though thing to swallow in regular intervals.

I've hit a nice place to take a quick break from the manga, won't be able to read on until next week. It both exceeded my expectations and fears I had going in. It's a pretty awesome story that will definitely have some sort of effect on my outlook on many things going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom