• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Welcome to Mangaf. We're here to discuss manga-related things. Please read the rules regarding spoilers below.

Hagio Moto Book Club Thread

Also, heed the warnings of the Watchmen:
Friends, it's time to perhaps tone down the open discussion of 'scanlations' (I know not what this is, save that it sounds illegal, gozaimasu).

Cdnb.jpg

10 Currently Popular Manga Reads OT15 Banner Gen 1 | 2
1Jwb.png

10 Currently Popular Sort-Of Smut Manga Reads OT15 SmutBanner Gen 1 | 2 | 3
Jswb.png

Simple rules to follow so we can discuss our favorite manga easily:

1. Sort of guide to how you should post.
In bold, put the name of the series as the first line in your post. Then you can go ahead and discuss whatever is on your mind without tags, okay? Make sure there is a space between the bolded name of the series and your text. Here's an example:
Hunter X Hunter 505

It rules and I don't know why!

2. Regarding manga scanlations.
duckroll said:
This is the last time I am ever going to say this. I believe I have mentioned this before. Do not ever, ever direct link to illegal piracy shit. This includes manga releases, manga scanlations, sites and apps which provide such access, etc. STOP DOING IT. This thread is for the discussion of manga, not for the exchange and distribution of illegal material. Don't ask, don't tell. Future offenses will result in normal moderation consequences. Do not reply to this message, just move along. If you have a question, PM me.

So to repeat, DO NOT link to any manga scanlations websites or ask where to read manga.

If you post a panel or page, there should be no logo of any site on it.​

3. Regarding spoilers in this thread.
We will discuss all the manga in one topic with no tags. If you don't want to be spoiled by the chapter as soon as the translation is out, do not come in here. Also, since we are not talking about the anime, you can mention new episodes without tags either since they are always behind or are filler. You should know well enough not to come in here not wanting to be spoiled. Please bold the header of your post as shown in rule 1 to help other posters avoid spoilers.

If you understand the content of the chapter you wish to discuss has significant spoilers for the series and wish to discuss without spoiler tags, and the chapter is a fresh (within 1 day) release, please add some additional detail to the bolded chapter title to indicate as such. Example:
Prison School 666 SUPER SPOILERS

I don't know what I could possibly spoil.
Exercise good judgement about spoilers.

Again, no spoiler tags for text needed, that is the benefit of coming here.

Caveats:
Leaks do not count as translation or scans. If a translation has not been released yet, spoiler tag any leaks and discussion of the chapter. Leaks should be sourced (a name/location at least, if a link is not possible).

Regarding image spoilers: "Please do not embed major spoiler images, ever."

4. I don't know what manga to read. Can you guys help?
Obviously the best way is to ask in the thread so we can give you recommendations that fit your taste better, but if you don't want to do then there are two excellent threads to check out for a list of good manga. Some good advice: don't ask for recommendations late Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you are a shounenhead and want your manga filled with hot blooded action then read cosmicblizzard's nifty thread of awesome battle manga.

If you prefer seinen manga or non-mainstream manga then read flawfuls thread of awesome lesser known manga.

If you want fluffy romance manga, NeoSoma has a chart of sweet and/or fluffy romance manga from /a/.

Other possibilities collected from this thread and link to a list of recommendations/impressions will be found in the second post below.​

Reading manga on tablets.
If you are looking for manga-reading tech on tablets, Jintor suggests Mango and suko_32 has more details on his tablet setup.

The Nicknames List
Sometimes people talk about series with a pet nickname and thereby render themselves completely incomprehensible. Therefore, we have a handy list here that might help with 1) translating the banners above and 2) translating our local maniacs' jargon.
  1. A Town Where You _____ = Kimi no Iru Machi
  2. Aunt Tits = Minamoto-kun Monogatari
  3. Food Smut = Shokugeki no Soma
  4. Not Popular = It's not my fault that I'm not popular!
  5. Super Interesting Darkness = To Love RU Darkness
  6. Swagamoto (or Swagmoto) = Sakamoto desu ga

Other cool and relevant material
~ Manga Thread IRC ~ wonzo: Welp, went ahead and made a manga irc channel at #MangaGAF @ irc.rizon.net More info here.
Link to our resident Pixel King Neoriceisgood's full set of 100 manga/anime avatars
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Jump covers
bigkrev commentary and criticism of digital manga in the west.
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Sunday covers
Mockingbird and Fancy Poster GAF fancy poster if you want it.
upandaway suggests a method for picking up new manga.
NeoSoma's One Page to Hook You In thread
curlyfriski discusses panel layouts. Additional comments from wonzo.

H00bT7x.jpg

The Strange Pile
duckroll wildly guesses Magi will end by Chapter 230 which he got wrong
Meet our resident coward Wiseblade
I didn't know Obama's email so I sent it to amazon instead. upandaway's brain fart.
Twitter party
FlutterPuffs (once echothreealpha) making 20 dollar bet on Naruto. owes somebody 20 bucks
BassForever collects your Friend Codes in one place; invade his house in Animal Crossing for revenge.
Crimsonlink organizes more Friend Codes into lists.
Kuritabot courtesy of AlabastreAizo
Hunter x Hunter Betting Pool (Eleuin wins!)
Complete your manga look with Loreal
AlabastreAizo losing his mind in Krev to iu Uragirimonome no Monogatari.

Previous Threads
OT1
OT2
OT3
OT4 SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES
OT5 We Post on Wednesdays
OT6 Hot blooded smut!
OT7 This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.
OTL Not a lick of constructive conversation here
OTZ Reading Shounen Garbage > Watching Moe Garbage
OTX Attack on Titles
OTE Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell
OTP The Salt Smut Only Knows
OT13 Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.
OTS Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WALL OF SHAME FOR OTS
E5c0P8P.jpg

Title courtesy of ColossalLazy.

Why Y? Y is for Year. 2015 => OT15 HAR HAR

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga (don't do this on Wednesday though). Most recent at top. Links to previous recommendations at bottom.

1. Famous last words. Dude dies in real life. He is reincarnated as a slime. He survives and gets strong using his slime abilities. For Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken. From ColossalLazy.
  2. Quirky stories with the first one being a school girl who don't know what to do with her life and ends up wanting to be a psychic to help her friends. Figures some of you might be interested in this. For Yoru no Taiko 01. From Usobuko.
  3. Love the art for it and the writing and how it even incorporates a sad and teary past for Shun that is realistic. For Umibe no Etranger 01. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  4. This is really cute, and since tomboy is feature this manga got instant like from me. But really, is it hard to ask for broship or platonic, close relationship between a boy and girl? For Tomo-chan ha Onna no ko!. From Shengar.
  5. I love fantasy stories set in present day. Ill miss it. For District Hakkenshi [Code T-8]. From Dedication Through Light. (rev)
  6. She's definitely the different kind of female lead, headstrong and willing to help others at the cost of herself. For Tendou-ke Monogatari 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  7. I like what's been shown of the princess so far, who strikes the right balance between wit, kindness and murderous ninja acumen. For Choukakou - Xia Da. From Dresden. (imp)
  8. Diamond Is Unbreakable was a fantastic murder mystery filled with sol shenanigans that had a great cast. For JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable. From AquaWateria. (rev)
  9. Hopefully with no deaths needed as motivation. For Hai to Gensou no Grimgal 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  10. The art in particular is very nice, and depicts the tone and expressions pretty well. For [No title?]. From Zweizer. (imp)
  11. A NEET starts an online game as a handsome guy. Now, she gets to live out her dreams that life hasn't shown her. Let's see where this goessssss For Netojuu no Susume. From dakkumauji.
  12. a collection of odd little stories, one volume, pretty interesting. For Rojiura Daiikku. From Dresden.
  13. Doesn't really go through the usual shoujo antics but instead a nice story about this couple. For Shinbunbu no Komatsu-san. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  14. Short stories about how a cup of coffee can change a relationship. Nice short stories. Each one is pretty sweet and all tie well with coffee as a general theme. For Coffee Mou Ippai. From dakkumauji.
  15. It feels like a good shoujo waiting to happen. For Hoshikuzu Drop 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  16. Girl with no friends becomes friends with three guys. It's not bad. The art is pretty simple but I like the characters and it looks like it'll be a nice read. For Asao-san to Kurata-kun. From dakkumauji.
  17. Cute dragon girl maid yuri. What's there not to love? For Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon. From Zweizer.
  18. At its best when it goes fully insane and self aware. For Renai Boukun. From phaze. (imp)
  19. Distinctive ( and good ) art is always welcome. For Sekisei Inko 01. From Usobuko. (imp)
  20. Not a bad first chapter, though most of the setup is pretty typical for a sports series. For Duel! 01. From Zweizer. (imp)
  21. Every duel in this manga was a blast to read with many surprising twists and turns. For Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. From Dedication Through Light. (rev)
  22. A long spiel from dani_dc about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4.
  23. Not a bad one shot. I like the premise and the art's nice. For Chronos Ruler. From dakkumauji. (imp) Follow up impressions here.
  24. Not bad as an one shot, it's ok. For DEM III. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  25. Then, she starts releasing pink fog from her body which causes all the super pretty boys to fall in love with her. For Shinobi, Koi Utsutsu 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  26. Genuinely funny, this comes Highly recommended. For Sonna Me De Mite Kure. From bigkrev. (rec)
  27. Bunch of pretty boys find themselves in a vast and trap ridden labyrinth where they are now part of the succession test in order to select the next emperor. For Sennen Meikyuu no Nana Ouji. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  28. ShieldBro is the best hero ever. For Tate no Yuusha. From Furyous. (FUTURE SPOILERS)
  29. Definitely enjoyed it even if I did have some worries near the end, glad to have enjoyed another one of adachi's works. For Rough. From Revo. (rev)
  30. I enjoyed the book nonetheless. Archimede was a bit of a senile old man in it, but his legacy, his inventions, were still amazing. For Heureka. From Lain. (rev)
  31. Featuring simple yet effective art, a colorful cast and an unusual yet oddly relatable setting. Saturn Apartments is definitely worth your attention. For Saturn Apartments. From Zweizer. (rec)
  32. Fun ride, I have a soft spot for how dumb and prone to overthinking Ichitaka is. Final volume was a little bit weak imo but I enjoyed the series a bunch. For I''s. From mdubs.
  33. A robot girl who's trying to blend into society as part of a research. For Tonari no Robot 01. From Zweizer. (imp)
  34. Not a bad one shot about a girl wanting to become stronger for the guy back home. For Sato Zakuri Tanpenshuu - Shoujo, Shoujo, Shoujo na no. 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  35. A melancholic and angsty yuri short story about the unrequited love of a childhood friend as she assumes the role of the bridesmaid. Not particularily enjoyable, but the art is nice. For Bridesmaid by Ratana Satis. From Zweizer.
  36. While I definitely enjoyed Katsu I never really got as hooked as I got for the other Adachi I've read. For Katsu!. From Revo. (rev)
  37. A very fun manga. The artwork reminded me of Hero Academia, but I think I like this one a lot more. For Oumagadoki-doubutsuen. From Laughing Banana.
  38. An one shot about a girl slowly coming to terms of past love and future love. For Massugu Kimi e. From dakkumauji. (rev)
  39. A couple of sci-fi short stories centered around a race of genetically-modified people called "Unicorns"... For A, A'. From Zweizer. (rev)
  40. Harem ending? Harem ending. What started as a ridiculous premise keep chugging along with its absurd but weirdly charming reasoning till the end. For HoneyMoon Salad. From Usobuko.
  41. Is this a genius in the making? Was alright, would expect something like this to be a bit shorter. For Gokiburi Buster (oneshot). From Revo.
  42. In the end I had a feeling like while most of the jokes were about yuri there was no yuri almost like at all. For Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane. From Allaur. (rev)
  43. And then you sold me with the "transferring" of mana and the Demon King protagonist actually acting like one. For Maou no Hajimekata 01. From Save 'N Quit. (imp)
  44. The mix of the great art, bits of story and jokes really did give me the incentive to read through the latest chapter. For Salty Studio. From HassanJamal. (rec)
  45. suddenly having horse face makes all the shoujo moments just amazing For AFO Guard 01. From dakkumauji.
  46. The art is good. The storyline is interesting. But really now, must the author includes flirting/fluff in every single page? I am at extreme sugar overdose reading this thing. For Online the manga. From Laughing Banana.
  47. Another good female lead series. For Tsubaki-chou Lonely Planet 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  48. A cute story about the friendship between a pianist and a deaf girl. For Spring, a Minuet by Itou Hachi. From Zweizer.
  49. Short and sweet. Recommended. For Misu Misou. From Mockingbird. (rec)
  50. Jintor nerds out about My Hero Academia.
  51. Yeah, this is super fun. All that dancing looked amazing. For Sesuji wo Pin! to ~Shikakou Kyougi Dance-bu e Youkoso~ 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  52. Not a bad adaptation. For Kagerou Daze Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  53. A Huge Battleship still reading Touhou doujin.
  54. I'm not sure how I feel about this, some of it's funny... For Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. From Stulaw. (imp)
  55. The commentary at the end of the book was moving. For Shoujo Nemu. From Usobuko. (rev)
  56. Cute girls doing cute things cute 4koma comic with some cute light yuri moments. Pretty nice for a first chapter~ For A Room For Two 01. From Zweizer.
  57. Everything is decided in this world by a children's card game. Well not everything but close enough! For Wizard's Soul ~Holy War of Love~ 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  58. Dream Fossil is a book that deserves to be bought and read. For Dream Fossil. From Lain. (rec)
  59. Seriously if anyone wants to read something that's really good and worth your time then definitely try The Ancient Magus Bride. For The Ancient Magus Bride Vol 1. From AquaWateria. (rec)
  60. Zany comedy series about a trio of eccentric peddlers who reportedly sell anything, and their unwitting clientele. For Sekitsui House 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  61. All in all, an engaging post-apocalyptic story. For Marginal. From Zweizer. (rev)
  62. Second compiled list from this thread.
  63. First compiled list from this thread.
  64. Recommendations from OTS.
  65. Recommendations from OT13.
  66. Recommendations from OTP.
  67. Recommendations from OTE.
  68. Recommendations from OTX.
  69. Recommendations from OTZ.
  70. Recommendations from OTL.

Zweizer

Banned
Whoo new thread~

Aw Suzuka banner is gone.

Edit: Here it is:

The Suzuka Reading Club Survivors' Manga Picks
LWe58H0.jpg

dan2026

Is Assassination Classroom popular in Japan at the moment?
It always seems to rank highly and it feels like something that is kind of developing a quiet cult following.

dramatis

Is Assassination Classroom popular in Japan at the moment?
It always seems to rank highly and it feels like something that is kind of developing a quiet cult following.
It's been popular in Japan since serialization. Currently the anime is airing, so it's likely that there's a lot of additional commotion.

Chousuinou Kei 20
B9AkDUMIcAAg42j.png

Sad mystery though at least it gave the artists lots of time to draw a really appealing Kei on the boat like that.

Cant imagine the painful loss of losing all three sons in one day.

Revo

RIP Suzuka Banner. Everyone's sacrifices will not be forgotten.

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt 7

Contest time!

Yamada 144
B9AuEWzIYAAlcUQ.png

They should have done a scene like this in the live action version, even Why Cant Seiya Todoin Get a Girlfriend did it two weeks ago. Miyamura gets so many chances that the others dont.

dani_dc

I guess losing your sanity might be considered to be a form of character strengthening.

It has done wonders for me.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150575330]Why isn't 7 Seeds on every slot in the banner?[/QUOTE]

I'd guess it's due to us getting barely any new chapters.

Fairy Tail 418

Crunchyroll layout is continuing to be weird with page spreads, why spread it across to separate pages on their viewer that it cuts them in half like that?

Mashima's design ideas get worst and worst each arc. Why would Natsu have that outfit now :( Its pretty dull.

One last hurrah before that banner is forgotten forever.

Still nice to see Gekkan Shoujo having a rightful place in the banner. (More people need to read Oresama Teacher)

Assassination Classroom v2
B9A-Qs9IYAI5ooL.jpg

It arrived yesterday. This was yet another great volume put out by viz. I was initially worried over how they would handle Irina and the classes nickname for it but it was handled well at first. However, I guess some people could be turned off by how the other translators did her name by the students to be written as Vitch instead of the other after a key point in the second chapter. Oh well, its minor but if we imagine the difficulty that the Japanese students have with the Russian and v then perhaps it is most logical to write it this way.

One thing I like is that there seem like a lot of extras in the volume like the opening pages profile of characters, cover pages on chapters, more character profiles between chapters, and many more in between chapter things (like Korosenseis badminton, school assembly details and more. Then for a special they include that short chapter on Korosensei and The Mishaps of Saiki Kusuo which was a nice surprise.

All in all, unlike a few of their other manga, Assassination Classroom is a pretty robust volume with extras and content. Loved it.

Kieli

Is Imperial Guards really a top 10 Gaf-read?

I've only seen one or two scattered impressions of it.

It also didn't really capture my interest. :(

Kurita

Assassination Classroom v2
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9A-Qs9IYAI5ooL.jpg[/IMG
It arrived yesterday. This was yet another great volume put out by viz. I was initially worried over how they would handle Irina and the classes nickname for it but it was handled well at first. However, I guess some people could be turned off by how the other translators did her name by the students to be written as Vitch instead of the other after a key point in the second chapter. Oh well, its minor but if we imagine the difficulty that the Japanese students have with the Russian and v then perhaps it is most logical to write it this way.
[/QUOTE]
They also changed her name in the French version which is dumb imo. She's now Poufanovitch, "Pouffe" being roughly the same as "Bitch" in French. Kinda weird, a translator's note would have been better.

Top 10 gaf reads are mostly quality stuff I see (of the ones I've read, the only one I'd call low quality is Akame ga Kill, though it can be a guilty pleasure I guess)

Revo

Choujin Gakuen 1-21

Fights don't really do too much for me but I enjoy most of the characters. The character designs are generally pretty good and I really like how Adam looks. The plot seems okay enough, we only really have some murky details at the moment so it could go both ways.

Looking forward to more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom