• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresquito

The game doesn't look great now, it just looks okay. Like an average game like we all knew (deep down) how it'd look.

We get it, you guys don't care about graphics (yeah right).
Sorry to tell you, but making statements such as these when the game is not even out is moronic.

We have also a bunch of shots and videos when we can also see where it was upgraded and improved. But of course, the OP just wants to stir up shit, not open a real debate.

Funny seeing some of the screens in the OP (like the tower one) where its obvious is for artistic reasons and not graphical downgrade (because what the fuck would change the FPS in the change of a 3d model like that).
Yeah, lets throw to the bin that work, just for shits and giggles.

Yeah, I'm not surprised. The original reveal graphics were too good. I knew they wouldn't be able to maintain that level of graphics given how big they wanted the game to be. Then there's the console vs PC disparity they have to worry about. If I put my tinfoil hat on for a moment, I wouldn't be surprised if MS/Sony pressured them to make the differences smaller. It's disappointing, but it's not going to stop it from being an amazing game.

Why not wait a couple more days until the reviews and videos start flooding in with more detailed information on graphics settings? We'll get to see what's going on well before release, so there is no need to freak out over random screenshots that could be on low-med-high-ultra for all we know. If you feel like you're being lied to, I'm sorry, that sucks, but they can't make you buy the game. If people don't know by now that preordering is risky (and almost always pointless), oh well.

Rappy

uPGpDnx.jpg

I love it how the people doing comparisons, ostensibly about graphics, don't really care about representing good data.

Just look at these screenshots. They're compressed to shit and have little metadata appended to them, where were they captured, on what system and when?
Whether or not the graphics were downgraded or not, these screenshots are not even remotely similar areas or shots.

shandy706

This one looks so good. Yeah, they've pulled a ubisoft but the game has a huge open world. It would have probably required a really strong PC to make an open world game of this size looking like this.

A GTX 980 is more than capable of that scene at a great framerate.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I does not suck if the game still looks outstanding, and the The Witcher 3 does.

I don't understand this mind set.

How does it not suck that we are getting a lesser product? Even if the final thing is still good, it could have been much better.

And that sucks.

Christ, the first page is full of shit posts.

Apparently CDPr is immune to any such discussion despite the huge Dark Souls/Watch Dogs stuff.

I don't know why any developer should be called out on downgrading a game during development, they don't do it just because, optimization, scalability, resource management, etc. it's part of the development process, you can't even argue is false ardvertisement, showing bullshots just before release is one thing but we have been seeing the supposedly downgraded footage for months, almost a year.

Kssio_Aug

Is there any impression about the combat gameplay already? I never bought Withcer 2 cause I've heard its combat gameplay is pretty damn bad, I'd like to know how much improved Witcher 3 is in that regard. For a game that may be quite long and with so many battles (that actually looks cool) I would be very disappointed if the combat was flimsy or unpleasant.

antonz

How about we wait for the actual game to come out before we try and do Genuine comparisons. stupid as fuck youtube comparisons etc. are nothing but troll material

The only footage out right now from certified gold Witcher 3 is some less than ideal Xbox One Twitch stream.

This has been evident for a while now, no?

I think we should wait for the PC version to come to make serious comparison because a lot of these comparison shots are taken at different times of the day. While it is possible to see a difference in the quality of some assets lighting makes a large difference in how certain areas look and feel. In most early promotional shots, they chose the best lighting to make the images appealing and most of these recent images are not.

Regardless of how the final game turns out to be I don't think anyone should expect a game with a map as large as the Witcher 3's to not have some rough edges here and there.

It's still a fairly impressive game that will probably be one of the best, if not the very best of this year, but yes, it's a shame that some assets were clearly downgraded.

Nocturnal

Banned
Just play the fucking game? Or don't if you think that the GRAHPIX are shit.

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt | OT | Crackdowngrade

BashNasty

It's crazy to expect actual gameplay footage to match early promotional footage. Developers always bite off more than they can chew with those trailers because they want to make the biggest splash possible. This always happens. It would be great if it didn't, but it always does.

I'm still looking forward to Witcher 3. Sure, it doesn't look as good as it once did, but I never expected it to.

ironcreed

Banned
I swear, gamers these days are the most impossible to please bunch I have ever seen. Jesus Christ. No matter how great something is, if it is not exactly like what they were expecting down to every corner, crack, crevice, rock, puddle and blade of grass, then it's another shit storm.

Lunar15

I do want to talk about what I mean by "not everything" getting downgraded. I've been saying the game's been scaled down graphically for some time, but there has been some impressive stuff. Also, not every old screenshot looked great:

2013:

There's also some beautiful stuff from current footage, if you know where to look:

May 2015:
W3ac26f.gif

The plants on the ground don't look super hot, but there's so much going on here that it looks brilliant. The monster's hair (with hairworks) and the forest are lovely.

JordanN

Banned
Yeah, I'm not surprised. The original reveal graphics were too good. I knew they wouldn't be able to maintain that level of graphics given how big they wanted the game to be. Then there's the console vs PC disparity they have to worry about. I wouldn't be surprised if MS/Sony pressured them to make the differences smaller. It's disappointing, but it's not going to stop it from being an amazing game.
If they wanted people to not buy a PC version, I'm sure they would have just outright cancelled it.

I don't know why any developer should be called out on downgrading a game during development, they don't do it just because, optimization, scalability, resource management, etc. it's part of the development process, you can't even argue is false ardvertisement, showing bullshots just before release is one thing but we have been seeing the supposedly downgraded footage for months, almost a year.

Explain this then: http://www.gamepur.com/news/17821-c...-witcher-3-wild-hunt-optimizing-get-best.html

"No. That's the answer. We are not downgrading it. We are optimizing the game but in a way that doesn't affect the visuals. So there is a lot of work for us, and this is also one of the reasons why we delayed the game. Because we still have to optimize it to get the best performance for you guys as possible."

ironcreed

Banned
I do want to talk about what I mean by "not everything" getting downgraded. I've been saying the game's been scaled down graphically for some time, but there has been some impressive stuff. Also, not every old screenshot looked great:

2013:

There's also some beautiful stuff from current footage, if you know where to look:

May 2015:
W3ac26f.gif

Yes, that actually looks better.

Parfait

I6oxQbo.png

I get why people are mad, but the game still looks really amazing as far as i can tell.

I'll join everyone gettin mad if it stutters or has ridiculous pop in or something wonky like that.

Bluenoser

Isn't it normal for devs to start with more advanced graphical assets and a slideshow framerate, and tweak until they get the balance they want? I'm honestly asking because I don't know how development works.

The game will be beautiful. The internet is becoming a cesspool of picky whining bitches.

Something to take into account with every game...GAMES WILL BE DOWNGRADED. It's just the reality, a publisher is never going to show how a game will actually look at a trade show when they can pretty it up with a super high end pc,

Developers never promised that what you see the years prior is what you'll particularly get, things don't stay the same, didn't the game triple in scope and detail as well? Occlusion culling + LoD can only go so far. The downgraded graphics are obvious but still looks great but you're not being mislead, you either buy it or you don't. There's been a lot of marketing material for this game with varying graphical fidelity, you either buy what you see the last year or so or you don't if you're not satisfied, it's that simple. You don't have to give them a free pass if you feel strongly about it but don't act as if you're entitled to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom