• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Serandur

That chart is complete rubbish.

It's a comparative chart; stressing the cards to show differences between them with most settings turned up to 11. Why is it rubbish?

Edit: "For our benchmarks, we have selected a very challenging scene, we ride our horse roach in tight gallop through a meandering forest path. Here the now elaborate lighting and shading of vegetation as well as their level of detail proposed by particularly strong. Two of us fleeing deer herds provide additional load, also is short a pond with tessellierter water surface in the image. But it is not specifically a worst-case benchmark."

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1159196/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Performance is mixed but I'm running maxed out with tweaks so I can understand that. Two massive annoyances though:

1) Stuttering. Varying framerate I can deal with. This has the worst frame stuttering.
2) I have a renderer issue that causes my screen to black out, game running in the background. I cannot alt-tab or anything out of the game. It's like my GPU just stops sending a signal, even though the screen remains lit and connected.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I tried to take a video of what I thought would be my final settings, but then I got attacked by some wolves and realized I would need to do some more tweaking. Here's the clip.

I really don't want to give up hairworks. Roach's mane looks pretty nasty without it.

Derp

c48d9a6d_Witcher-3-Benchmarks-1080p-No-GameWorks.png

Yikes, Kepler's (GTX 600/700 series) performing really poorly in this game. I wonder if Nvidia really are ignoring/crippling them.
Yup. Fuck this. As soon as Pascal is out I'm saying goodbye to my 780 Ti.

Still waiting for my CE to arrive. Fucking EB Games shipping.

Serandur

The overall results for fps amounts aren't accurate is what they mean.

I edited that post you just quoted to more accurately show what I mean. The FPS amounts are accurate, they just stressed them to best show how each of the cards hold up in comparison with a stressful scene and stressful settings. Of course, most of the time and with just a couple things turned down, most cards perform much better than that.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered. I have skimmed through several pages without seeing an identical system.

Is anyone running the game on a 3770k @ 3.5, GTX 680 and 16GB RAM? If so how well is it running?

Thank you.

Performance is mixed but I'm running maxed out with tweaks so I can understand that. Two massive annoyances though:

1) Stuttering. Varying framerate I can deal with. This has the worst frame stuttering.
2) I have a renderer issue that causes my screen to black out, game running in the background. I cannot alt-tab or anything out of the game. It's like my GPU just stops sending a signal, even though the screen remains lit and connected.

1) I noticed some stuttering after playing with some video options. Restarting the game fixed it though.
2) Sounds like a video driver crash. You overclocking? If not it might just be sketchy drivers ;( edit: could also try a clean install

What ini tweaks you running? Anything really good bang for buck?

Zakalwe

Banned
I edited that post you just quoted to more accurately show what I mean. The FPS amounts are accurate, they just stressed them to best show how each of the cards hold up in comparison with a stressful scene and stressful settings. Of course, most of the time and with just a couple things turned down, most cards perform much better than that.

Yeh, that's what I meant. Overall performance is going to be better than the chart shows, so as a gauge for your average PC user it won't seem accurate.

Corpekata

Banned

2. This is the video card driver crashing. Sometimes it'll tell you "driver crashed and has recovered" after this but sometimes it won't. Should probably show up in event viewer though. Something in the drivers is borked for a lot of people, at least for this game.

If your card is OCed try reducing it. Might even need to go down below the factory OC if your card came with one. Seems to have worked for me and a few others.

Jtrizzy

I never OC'd it because I don't think I ever needed and because I was kinda of afraid of overheating. It's very hot here. Anyway, I will now.

You'll also want to enable hyperthreading in the bios. It's a great cpu, do you have any sort of after market cooler on it?

Shy

Hi quick question, and sorry if this has been answered before.

Is anyone else getting an odd screen flicker, where another image from the game pops up (sorry if i'm not describing it well)

also i can't get the game to recognise the PS4 controller, i thought this had native support.

subwilde

Ok reporting in...here's my rig:

i5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
7970 ghz 3GB
16GB ddr3 1600mhz
SanDisk 128gb SSD

1440p
background chars. low
shadow high
terrain high
water high
grass low
texture ultra
foliage distance low
detail medium

I don't mind having less grass, there is plenty there already ;)

It's all over the place to be honest. Locking 30 feels weird so I haven't stuck with that. Outside I'm getting anywhere from 35-45 fps with peaks of 48 and drops as low as 30. Inside is better as it's a consistent 45 or so. I love the series so I can deal with it but it would be nice if new drivers helped a bunch!

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Appears to be a crashing problem playing on 144hz monitor, fixed it by playing at 60hz instead of 144hz.

Edit: nvm, appears to be a different issue. Game was playing fine earlier tonight, but I exit and comeback and all of a sudden it's crashing every 2 min.

GavinUK86

Hi quick question, and sorry if this has been answered before.

Is anyone else getting an odd screen flicker, where another image from the game pops up (sorry if i'm not describing it well)

also i can't get the game to recognise the PS4 controller, i thought this had native support.
1) I get that for a split second when I alt tab out.
2) Works perfectly with DS4Windows.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is anyone else getting bad stutter/frame pacing when you're walking while rotating the camera? It's driving me crazy because other than that the game is running great.

dodgeme

Game is running pretty good on my setup. 1080p and running everything on ultra with Hairworks turned off.

I have a

i5 4690k running at 4.2ghz
16gb Ram
AMD Radeon R9 280x

I am getting between 30-40fps with a tendency to be more toward 40 unless there are a lot of characters on screen. Once I know how crossfire works with this game I am probably gonna add another 280x and call it good. Happy with my performance though and gotta say that card is a trooper. Game is beautiful. The videos are the worst performance and run at like 20-30, but thats doesn't bother me too much.

Why is the in game sound so low for me? All the sliders are maxed, and every other game seems to sound fine for me so what's up?

Also, there's a lot of stuttering during cutscenes even though I'm locked in at 30fps. Why is that?

antonz

Man the detail is so nice. When you go out on that balcony in the beginning you can see the trees even miles away swaying in the wind instead of just static placeholders for effect

longdi

Banned
A short test run before I left for work, and the game seems to look and run better than MGSV on 290X. Ah the benefit of current gen only development. A pity we will never see a Kojima MGS built on PS4 footings.

Mifec

2. This is the video card driver crashing. Sometimes it'll tell you "driver crashed and has recovered" after this but sometimes it won't. Should probably show up in event viewer though. Something in the drivers is borked for a lot of people, at least for this game.

If your card is OCed try reducing it. Might even need to go down below the factory OC if your card came with one. Seems to have worked for me and a few others.

It's literally just a bad driver, I reverted back to the GTA ones and stopped having issues.

Everyone who is having crashes and isn't using SLI should probably do this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like my 760 would struggle, but that's okay because I'll have something newer by the time I buy the game during next year's summer sale or something.

BatNIC

Neo Member
I've got to say: 1440p does wonders in this game with all the vegetation, it looks noticeably better than 1080p. It is more demanding though. Considering 1440p/30fps locked over 1080p/60fps unlocked.

As someone with an
i5 3570K @ 4.2 with a slightly OC nvidia 670. With a 2550x1440 monitor.

How far can I go with the settings? (P.S i don't care about hairworks, it doesn't have to boe 60 fps I will probably keep it at 30 locked.)

Gotta say, after a bit of concern with performance over the last few days, I'm actually surprised by how well the game is running on my rig.

I'm able to run it with everything maxed, except shadows and foliage draw distance on high, and I'm getting 60fps performance about 90% of the time. I can definitely live with that. Yes, Hairworks is on.

Absolutely gorgeous game, too. One of the prettiest I've ever played. Fuck the haters

Specs GTX 980 heavily OCed, i7 4790k @4.7, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

bodine1231

Not a good first sign. Crashed to desktop before the first fight. o.o

Edit: And again!

If your experiencing choppy cutscenes (fmv) edit these settings and it should fix it (did for me).

visuals.ini

[Visuals]
Gamma=1
MovieFramerate=30.0
MovieUbersampling=true

Change it to 60.0 and false.

mephixto

Banned
So far so good, I only found one problem. The game freeze for a sec when it dismember an enenmy or monster.

Specs:
i7 3930K @ 4.5Ghz
2x 970 G1 Gamming no OC
16GB RAM (page file disabled)

Everything maxed, I only disabled CA and the motiong blur just cause I don't like those effects.

epmode

i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
1 Titan X
16GB RAM (no page file)
installed to SSD

If I leave everything on ultra but antialiasing and hairworks, I get a steady 60 FPS at 1440p. Turning hairworks on drops me to ~45 FPS which isn't necessarily a problem with a G-Sync monitor but it also seems to introduce a serious stutter that comes and goes as I play. It's too annoying so I'm just leaving hairworks off.

No crashes so far and I've only noticed one or two crazy animation glitches.

paskowitz

Gotta say, after a bit of concern with performance over the last few days, I'm actually surprised by how well the game is running on my rig.

I'm able to run it with everything maxed, except shadows and foliage draw distance on high, and I'm getting 60fps performance about 90% of the time. I can definitely live with that. Yes, Hairworks is on.

Absolutely gorgeous game, too. One of the prettiest I've ever played. Fuck the haters

Specs GTX 980 heavily OCed, i7 4790k @4.7, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

Same specs, same results. 980 @1513. I get drops in cutscenes but otherwise 60fps 90% of the time.

Cg006

Neo Member
Running pretty good!
1080P
i2600k@ 4.6ghz
16gb Ram
XFX DD R290 @1100 core
Almost everything on ultra
Shadow/distance/foliage set to high
And of course not about that hair life lol

The game always runs mostly at a steady 60 and occasionally dips to about 54-57

Cant wait until the patches for the game+ AMD driver updates hit. Should be able to keep a solid 60 with a a "i hope" boost in fps form optimizations from AMD/CDProject

The game looks so beautiful. The environment is so well done.

Also have experiences a few crashes. Screens just randomly goes black and i and kicked back to desktop. No error message whatsoever.

I can turn everything up to ultra except hairworks and have >40 FPS at all times, *maybe* some very small dips into the 30s.

Turn on hairworks, and the FPS never goes above 28. Wow.
I knew it was a feature for super systems, but I wasn't expecting this.

(970, 2500k, both heavily overclocked, 16GB ram running at 1440p on an ROG Swift)

Top Bottom