• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We all know there's absolutely 0% chance this will hit $10m right? Still pumped to see where it goes, but there is no chance it'll hit the 10m.

There is plenty of time until the game will be done. Just end the kickstarter and start up a parallel funding source to bring in money during the next few months.

benzy

Nah. I think he looks closer to his original look in the new version. But... one thing bothers me: He's supposed to have black hair. :(

He looks like a failed Ryo attempt in a character creator of another game in both versions, with the new one not even looking human.

The famitsu interview had an even different model from kickstarter page & newly revised one; it looks a lot better than both. No idea why they changed it so much in the revised one released today...

ekllegmvoa.jpg

So after my initial tests, I had dropped the resolution a tiny bit to eliminate audio stutter. Still loving the 16:9 goodness and wanted to share the way Shenmue will look in the video I'm working on.

ZXwOJG.jpg

nF0ghe.jpg

OZbNjb.jpg

Theonik

I think they finally have the basics of the Kickstarter page nailed down so we can start looking on to the future. Hopefully things will be better now. At least I am not embarrassed to link people to the Kickstarter page anymore.

He looks like a failed Ryo attempt in a character creator of another game in both versions, with the new one not even looking human.

The famitsu interview had an even different model from kickstarter page & newly revised one; it looks a lot better than both. No idea why they changed it so much in the revised one released today...

He looks like David Bowie in the KS images.

Haunted

Sega All-star models have more polys than the dreamcast versions. Notice the ears.
Still completely insufficient for Shenmue 3, of course. It does look much more faithful to the original design than the preliminary designs for 3, though.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The fights in Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 was too easy. I hope they are way more difficult in Shenmue 3. Anyone agrees?

Theonik

wow cant believe theyve ruined the ryu character model! this game is being released in 2 months, right?
In 20 days! Though this reminds me of the Shantae Kickstarter whitewash controversy. They fixed the art there but it took them half the campaign to fix their page.

The fight in Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 was too easy. I hope they are way more difficult in Shenmue 3. Anyone agrees?
You better help us get to the 'Advanced Free Battle goal @$6m

Gamezone

Gold Member
In 20 days! Though this reminds me of the Shantae Kickstarter whitewash controversy. They fixed the art there but it took them half the campaign to fix their page.

You better help us get to the 'Advanced Free Battle goal @$6m

I spent $500. :(

Theonik

Then I would have to sell my son.
Joke's aside, I think $6m is really reachable. With the KS page now at least presentable and the dust settled we can focus on pushing this. If PS4 physical also happens we can expect a really nice end boost.
Typically, people will be drawn to the campaign at the start or during it and will put it on their backlogs and only check again in the end so all progress accumulates into the push.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Joke's aside, I think $6m is really reachable. With the KS page now at least presentable and the dust settled we can focus on pushing this. If PS4 physical also happens we can expect a really nice end boost.
Typically, people will be drawn to the campaign at the start or during it and will put it on their backlogs and only check again in the end so all progress accumulates into the push.

If sure it. Kickstarters usually get a huge boost the last few days as well. A physical PS4 version will probably happen as well, but not as an stretch goal. Sony will deal with that later I guess.

brett2

Of the new rewards...
All 31 @ $1000 gone
All 13 @ $2000 gone
All 2 @ $5000 gone

All within a few hours. You have to admit that is pretty incredible. Shenmue definitely has the most hardcore fans.

Spaghetti

the problem is now those tiers are gone things have slowed up again. they need to introduce like a digital artbook or something to try raising people off the basic $29

the problem is now those tiers are gone things have slowed up again. they need to introduce like a digital artbook or something to try raising people off the basic $29

They need physical console copies.

And maybe going multiplat. What's the point of making it PS4 exclusive if Sony isn't really helping?

Spaghetti

They need physical console copies.

And maybe going multiplat. What's the point of making it PS4 exclusive if Sony isn't really helping?
sony is helping. just not very much. it was likely the best offer coming from any of the three platform holders.

ps4 physical is apparently in the works. hopefully that comes through in the new few days to push us over that 4 million hump. after that there are enough stretch goals to keep us going.

openrob

He still looks too white, i'm really not happy with the way he's currently looking.

I've been wondering that for the last few days myself.

Yeah, the character modelers are doing an awful job. Even Sega Racing All Stars has a better Ryo, and they actually remodeled him too. Also, why is his hair brown in Shenmue 3...

I tweeted Yu about the clay models with the pic. He probably won't reply but hope he sees it at least.

I didn't even notice that, now i feel even more depressed. :(

Nah. I think he looks closer to his original look in the new version. But... one thing bothers me: He's supposed to have black hair. :(

His leather jacket doesn't look like leather, he looks way too 'American/White' if that makes sense and what happened to his black hair

Why not just take the old model and try to start from there

The jacket looks like it's made out of crumpled paper.

But I'm sure the modelling will restart in earnest once they actually start production, so people probably shouldn't treat this target model as if it was the finished one.

If that model exist, production has already started. ^_-

Guys, chill.

They are continuing to make the model better, they are just showing progress.

Yu Suzuki isn't happy with this design either

There is no reason to think that they will not make it better, out else they would not have addressed it in the stream.

You Suzuki's response was that we can be confident that the Ryo we know will be the one we will get.

Heck he even wants the old voice actors

sony is helping. just not very much. it was likely the best offer coming from any of the three platform holders.

ps4 physical is apparently in the works. hopefully that comes through in the new few days to push us over that 4 million hump. after that there are enough stretch goals to keep us going.

Let's hope it's true.

Still, given the response, I wonder if some publisher is biting its nails now.

ZenTzen

Of the new rewards...
All 31 @ $1000 gone
All 13 @ $2000 gone
All 2 @ $5000 gone

All within a few hours. You have to admit that is pretty incredible. Shenmue definitely has the most hardcore fans.

they need new pledges that arent available in limited quantities, they also need to hurry up with the ps4 physical and paypal as well

Hynad

Banned
That's clearly not enough help, then.

With all the shitty games Sony and Ms publish/pay for every year I really can't understand for the life of me why Sony doesn't drop 10 millions on this and call it a day.

They are helping. Not doing it all in place of Ys Net.

And we don't know the amount of money they've already put into the project. ¬_¬

Spaghetti

let's not get back onto that merry-go-round of "HOW MUCH MONEY IS SONY PUTTING IN HUH".

we already know it's not a lot or just outright limited to development resources

Hynad

Banned
let's not get back onto that merry-go-round of "HOW MUCH MONEY IS SONY PUTTING IN HUH".

we already know it's not a lot or just outright limited to development resources

But... But... Sony should throw all of their money at every indie devs that present a project to them!!!

/s

Trojan X

Banned
You know what would help? What would help if ALL medias to say "Shenmue made it's First Stretch Goal of $2 million in 8 hours" instead of saying "Shenmue made goal of $2 million in 8 hours". Just saying that properly make such a massive difference in respect to understanding as it would lead people to think "Ok, there must be other goals, let's see if I can help".

I certainly understand what they were trying to do with the new rewards as this is basically all pure profit from what I understand, but they need some better mid range tiers and unlimited high priced tiers.

I certainly understand what they were trying to do with the new rewards as this is basically all pure profit from what I understand, but they need some better mid range tiers and unlimited high priced tiers.

Indeed. Hoping unlimited high end tiers appear soon. There is so much they could do and offer as rewards, be it physical items or being involved with the game somehow.

Haunted

btw for comparison: Doublefine offered a "slacker backer" option after their Kickstarter was over, for people who hadn't heard of the project in time, or people who wanted to contribute directly to Doublefine via Paypal instead of over Kickstarter.

http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay/ - 8,413 Slacker Backers pledged $170,175

You know what would help? What would help if ALL medias to say "Shenmue made it's First Stretch Goal of $2 million in 8 hours" instead of saying "Shenmue made goal of $2 million in 8 hours". Just saying that properly make such a massive difference in respect to understanding as it would lead people to think "Ok, there must be other goals, let's see if I can help".

Yes I remember specifically posting that one blurb regarding 10 million on my Facebook page and someone commented saying "It's already met its goal :)"

They later came back and realized the reason for posting it but a lot of people are probably just seeing this sort of thing and thinking, "oh good, it made it, I don't have to worry."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom