• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Robertson (of Unseen64 fame): "NX is not aiming to compete on a power level"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

so really nothing that points to all three of the games you mentioned being made for ps4, but perhaps one of them.

Oh no, all three is my crazy prediction. But I'm not sure SE would do a single title remaster considering both FF and KH had multiple titles included.

Why on Earth would they do that? It makes the whole thing more expensive, more complex and it limits their flexibility in different markets.

I'm betting on NX being a family of systems based around a common architecture, with a shared dev environment and software ecosystem, cross-platform accounts etc. - think iPhone/iPad/iOS or the Android setup. The device being referred to as "NX" right now will be the first form factor released, likely a handheld of some type, and it will hit some time toward the end of 2016. A more powerful home form factor will hit in 2017, replacing Wii U. From then on, Nintendo will be releasing software that runs on both, scaling appropriately, with the occasional title perhaps built for one form or another. As tech improves and component prices drop, they can release more powerful incremental upgrades (again, think the iPhone/Android phone model here) which maintain full backward-compatibility, even if forward-compatibility remains limited.

It lets them target different markets with different hardware - Japan may favour the handheld NX more than home NX, the US may be the reverse - while not having to support two different lines of software development. It also lets them release more regular hardware revisions and upgrades and breaks them out of the current console model.

I like everything you said and it makes a ton of sense.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If the NX is a console and it doesn't match the PS4 in terms of power, then what is the point of it existing?

Developers are pulling away from the last gen consoles and moving towards the PS4/XB1/PC solely, why would they add a weaker console into the mix? At least on a power level and similar architecture it would make sense to make a cheap port and provide that support, especially on a scalable engine.

Is it just Nintendo being contrarian again?

Well as this gen progresses...or the next gen starts with NX....however you wanna look at it...I hope I dont see more posts about bad ports. The ports will have to be different, watered down if they run on PS4, XBO, PC too. We might not be looking at any ports from current home console hardware.

So...does this mean the NX is the start of next gen? I mean next gen as we see it.

Scum

I can see them charging £34.99 for android ports, but I'm not surprised Nintendo has been been spending as little as possible to Max profits for years.
I bet Sony has spent more on R&D for firmware then Nintendo has sent on both the Wii and Wii U combined.

FLm9W.jpg

AniHawk

Nintendo are crazy if they plan on using the low power/low power consumption philosophy again. They've been doing that since the GC days and need to move away from it.
if they're looking at doing the handheld first, i think it's something they will shoot for. battery life at 5 hours max is a sad sad thing.

Oregano

yeah who needs creative freedom when it comes to making the games you want to make. no one wants good nintendo games anyway.

I don't think people realise they definitely wouldn't get Metroid, F Zero, Star Fox etc if Nintendo was third party. Hell they'd probably drop stuff like Xenoblade and Fire Emblem too.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
yeah who needs creative freedom when it comes to making the games you want to make. no one wants good nintendo games anyway.

The WiiU seems like the opposite of having a creative freedom effect on their devs. GamePad/Concrete Boots.

jroc74

Why on Earth would they do that? It makes the whole thing more expensive, more complex and it limits their flexibility in different markets.

I'm betting on NX being a family of systems based around a common architecture, with a shared dev environment and software ecosystem, cross-platform accounts etc. - think iPhone/iPad/iOS or the Android setup. The device being referred to as "NX" right now will be the first form factor released, likely a handheld of some type, and it will hit some time toward the end of 2016. A more powerful home form factor will hit in 2017, replacing Wii U. From then on, Nintendo will be releasing software that runs on both, scaling appropriately, with the occasional title perhaps built for one form or another. As tech improves and component prices drop, they can release more powerful incremental upgrades (again, think the iPhone/Android phone model here) which maintain full backward-compatibility, even if forward-compatibility remains limited.

It lets them target different markets with different hardware - Japan may favour the handheld NX more than home NX, the US may be the reverse - while not having to support two different lines of software development. It also lets them release more regular hardware revisions and upgrades and breaks them out of the current console model.

I hope this is their plan. But this isnt a bad idea either:

We seem to be looking at a portable device with a cradle that outputs to HDTVs when it's at home, don't we?

- A single game library with two different screen form factors.
- An OS that organises differently depending on how it's plugged in.
- The cradle will have a disc drive and a HDMI output but nothing else.
- The portable (NX) is a GBA style affair, or even DS with heaps of power.
- Put it in the cradle and the same games get reformatted for 1080p.

Think something like the Motorola laptop dock. Asus tablet dock.

Nibel

On point.

kungfuian

I'm guessing it's a hybrid (dock able) home and portable that will support software specific to the system (maybe slightly more powerful than wiiu) with a tablet form factor. I also imagine it has the added bonus of playing wiiu games (both at home and on the go- maybe digital versions of these games so no disc drive is needed) and ds games (also both at home and on the go). I also think it might act as an added controller for wiiu (but better with multi touch screen, added functionality etc) so you can use it as a second controller/screen if you already have that system.

But those are just safe bets. As far as functionality it still has to be unique to have marketability beyond the wiiu. Who knows what they end up making but personally I still think a very well done local multiplayer focused amiibo/toy based augmented reality experience would be perfect for them (tablet screen not head mounted). I can imagine a bunch of kids sitting around each other looking in on a virtual augmented reality smash bros battle/pokemon battle, etc, where each system acts as a window into the world and the toys/amiibos are the primary method of content delivery.

Oppo

It's doesn't have to be yearly hardware refreshes like smartphones. Make it every ~3yrs.

but that's just weird, isn't it? the point of consoles is to have a stable, consistent hardware target for devs. I don't quite get why a shorter cycle of "family of common devices" helps. what would these devices be exactly? why make more than 1 device? is it to merge with the phone stuff, I guess? Nintendo certified phones play same games as Nintendo Nx? who makes those? I can't quite see it. very curious though.

I like the AR idea, always have for Ninty, but that requires a fair amount of juice to do it right.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

This is what I'm thinking and I hope it's their plan. Well, yearly upgrades would be too much. But the combined library makes up for the lack of power. I'm sure it would sell at least 60 million units combined.

gtj1092

Do Nintendo fans actually want a unified console though? The Vita gets a lot a crap for having home console style games. I think having the games on both systems will just further cannibalize their home console market since their handled have always been more popular. Why get a Nintendo home console at all when you get the full experience on your handheld.

Terrell

This has been the general consensus since the locked NX Speculation thread, but there are always people who want to do it the salmon way and swim against the current.

Oregano

Do Nintendo fans actually want a unified console though? The Vita gets a lot a crap for having home console style games. I think having the games on both systems will just further cannibalize their home console market since their handled have always been more popular. Why get a Nintendo home console at all when you get the full experience on your handheld.

Ww're already at that point. I can play Xenoblade, 3D Zelda, Smash and 3D Mario on 3DS. Why do I need the Wii U?

I'd rather they merge line-up and increase output.

Scum

but that's just weird, isn't it? the point of consoles is to have a stable, consistent hardware target for devs. I don't quite get why a shorter cycle of "family of common devices" helps. what would these devices be exactly? why make more than 1 device? is it to merge with the phone stuff, I guess? Nintendo certified phones play same games as Nintendo Nx? who makes those? I can't quite see it. very curious though.

I like the AR idea, always have for Ninty, but that requires a fair amount of juice to do it right.

Here. Cosmonaut X explains what I mean.

It's makes it all easy for Nintendo to look after their handheld and console with little compromise. It's to solve Nintendo's software schedules, for one thing.

Ansatz

NX will be the reversed Vita situation. NX should be designed around handheld gaming, so it's the home console version that would suffer. It means less emphasis on big, immersive 3D open world type games like Zelda U / Xenoblade and more stuff like Pokemon with fixed camera perspective. We're already at this point on Wii U as it is, Nintendo doesn't really do home console experiences anymore.

I would doubble dip though, to play Smash multiplayer on the big screen and solo Pokemon on the go. In my case nothing would change since I still buy two separate hardware units.

jroc74

NX will be the reversed Vita situation. NX should be designed around handheld gaming, so it's the home console version that would suffer. It means less emphasis on big, immersive 3D open world type games like Zelda U / Xenoblade and more stuff like Pokemon with fixed camera perspective. We're already at this point on Wii U as it is, Nintendo doesn't really do home console experiences anymore.

If so, then maybe they should just get out the home console business then and focus strictly on handhelds. I say the same about Sony and handhelds. I know I said this in the past, others may have too.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Yeah, that sounds right.

If I should speculate about tech specs, I would guess that it will have some ARMv8 multicore CPU with a mobile GPU from PoverVR or NVidia, depending on the partner Nintendo choses. All variants of NX will have the same amount of CPU and memory performance reserved for games to be able to run the same games, but they will likely differ in GPU specs to allow for different resolutions and probably optional effects and AA. The GPU will still be the same, but come with different numbers of computing units in them.

If Nintendo can pull this console off at a very attractive price point, they might have a winner. Nintendo games and the Nintendo brand could make all the difference between a Ouya and NX.

I wonder, though, what they will make of backwards compatibility with the 3DS and the Wii U. For that they would need some second touchscreen, but that would necessarily compromise either the price or the specs. I hope that they just ignore it. I can very well live without the second screen and backwards compatibility.

Arcane0ne

Maybe its a xbox one- power level. I hope this or nx is damned.

Knowing nintendo maybe is 2 glued wiius with classic controller and decent account system.

Definitely not a surprise.

For better or worse, Nintendo is a very Japanese-centric company. The arms race is over in Japan: consoles lost.

Nintendo isn't going to make a baseline product that prices themselves out of that market.

PS4 also has a better online infrastracture than Nintendo, an online subscription service that Nintendo hasn't and full third-party support that Nintendo hasn't since the Gamecube era.

Not even comparable.

Wh... what? What does that have to do with my post?

Like... at all?

Yeah there is, and it's power consumption. Nintendo aimed at low power consumption again and since they'll most likely use 28nm, there's no way they can create a more powerful console than the 140W PS4 at the same node.

You honestly don't think that a minimum of three years after the PS4's launch Nintendo won't be able to get that level of performance with significantly lower power consumption? Hell, we'll see actual PS4's with drastically lower power consumption by then. In less than three years the 360 went from 203W to 150W and it took the PS3 the same amount of time to drop from a massive 380W to 250W (both saw similar drops in the next 3-years periods as well). With that amount of time and the advantage of being able to build a completely new chipset around that desired performance/power consumption rather than reworking an existing chipset, there's no reason Nintendo couldn't get that performance with lower consumption at low-cost.

And aiming for power consumption so low that you couldn't match the performance of 3-year-old low-end hardware is dumb anyway.

thefro

Definitely not a surprise.

For better or worse, Nintendo is a very Japanese-centric company. The arms race is over in Japan: consoles lost.

Nintendo isn't going to make a baseline product that prices themselves out of that market.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150508qa/02.html

Iwata said:
Your question also included the "current notion of thinking about home consoles and handheld devices." When it comes to how dedicated game systems are being played, the situations have become rather different, especially between Japan and overseas. Since we are always thinking about how to create a new platform that will be accepted by as many people around the world as possible, we would like to offer to them "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept" by taking into consideration various factors, including the playing environments that differ by country. This is all that I can confirm today.

Baseline product in Japan is going to be a handheld, but what do we get in the West?

Oregano

Yeah, that sounds right.

If I should speculate about tech specs, I would guess that it will have some ARMv8 multicore CPU with a mobile GPU from PoverVR or NVidia, depending on the partner Nintendo choses. All variants of NX will have the same amount of CPU and memory performance reserved for games to be able to run the same games, but they will likely differ in GPU specs to allow for different resolutions and probably optional effects and AA. The GPU will still be the same, but come with different numbers of computing units in them.

If Nintendo can pull this console off at a very attractive price point, they might have a winner. Nintendo games and the Nintendo brand could make all the difference between a Ouya and NX.

I wonder, though, what they will make of backwards compatibility with the 3DS and the Wii U. For that they would need some second touchscreen, but that would necessarily compromise either the price or the specs. I hope that they just ignore it. I can very well live without the second screen and backwards compatibility.

Nintendo aren't going with NVidia. They kinda screwed up with the 3DS.

AMD is a current partner who has expressed an interest in getting handheld contracts and would likely be desperate enough to give a really good deal. They are a front runner IMO.

EDIT: 3DS BC is possible on a single screen with a res as low as 480p theoretically.

What I would expect is that Nintendo will position the "NX Home" as both a more powerful version and a device for the family - again, think how the iPad tends to have become a higher-end "family" device as opposed to the iPhone which is very much an individual device (even if it's occasionally handed down to a child when the parent upgrades).

The "full experience" would be having both, not one - in terms of having access to your library on both devices on the go and on the big screen, and perhaps with some limited functionality on the "NX Go"/"NX Home" (think StreetPass or something similar) that differentiates the two - and the shared library would lower the barrier for people to get both.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If so, then maybe they should just get out the home console business then and focus strictly on handhelds. I say the same about Sony and handhelds. I know I said this in the past, others may have too.
Let's say it's a 50/10 million split. Is the home console not profitable at 10 million units sold? Why not continue to let people enjoy their games at a higher res/detail on their TV with little effort?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
AMD is a current partner who has expressed an interest in getting handheld contracts and would likely be desperate enough to give a really good deal. They are a front runner IMO.

Is AMD still invested in ARM though? They had a big ARM initiative and some products over the las few years, but I read that they seem to abandon that strategy somewhat now that they have more confidence in their latest x86 architectures.

I'd assume that an 64bit ARM-based architecture would be very helpful to have binary compatibility with Android games and eliminate the need for developers to rebuild their games for NX.

Rodin

Is AMD still invested in ARM though?

Of course they are, and they still can do an ARM based SoC design for Nintendo if they ordered it. AMD is Nintendo's best bet right now, for various reasons and i would be very, very surprised if they went with someone else.

Nintendo aren't going with NVidia. They kinda screwed up with the 3DS.

EDIT: 3DS BC is possible on a single screen with a res as low as 480p theoretically.

Yeah I can't see anyone choosing to partner with NV again in the console space. MS ran away post OG Xbox and Sony ran off after PS3, they have a poor rep in the console space for over promising, under delivering and charging a ton in licence fees on top of it all. More to the point their CPUs run too hot relative to the competition (they basically give them away to tier 2 oems) and their GPU tech is again too hot for too little in the mobile space.

ARMv8 seems like the best bet with a PowerVR variant GPU, ARM is in active development so getting a new CPU/GPU will be relatively straight forward in to the future and they even have a choice of multiple vendors.

Oregano

Is AMD still invested in ARM though? They had a big ARM initiative and some products over the las few years, but I read that they seem to abandon that strategy somewhat now that they have more confidence in their latest x86 architectures.

I'd assume that an 64bit ARM-based architecture would be very helpful to have binary compatibility with Android games and eliminate the need for developers to rebuild their games for NX.

Whilst x86 might be their focus I doubt they would turn down the contract because of it. They have the capability and have publicly expressed interest.

Terrell

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/617263150719705088

I wish NeoGAF would stop making threads about me. That site loves to spread lies about me and attack me for no reason.

... don't even know where to begin with this. Like, what did you think was going to happen when something like this was posted? I can certainly agree that attacking the podcast and monetization is petty and childish, but a sweeping statement like this never bodes well for anyone.

Really? I've always been under the impression that Unseen64 threads get a decent response, and the site is well-respected here for digging up the stuff it does.

I think regardless of whether or not he's talking about the console or the handheld, he's probably right anyway. Does anyone think the console form factor will be on PS4's level?

I'd expect something heading in that direction, but between Wii U/PS4. The selling point won't be RAWR POWA!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think regardless of whether or not he's talking about the console or the handheld, he's probably right anyway. Does anyone think the console form factor will be on PS4's level?

The WiiU seems like the opposite of having a creative freedom effect on their devs. GamePad/Concrete Boots.

That doesn't make any sense. There is more functionality options on the Wii U controller than any other. It's certainly not hindering them.

Splatoon would be much worse without it, for instance.

I don't understand. PS4 hardware is a couple years old. Wouldn't that mean making a similarly powerful console now can be achieved at a cheaper price?

"Android means biggest third-party support, yadda yadda"

Yeah, the worst kind of third-party support. Most mobile games are absolute trash, and most of the really good ones are iOS-exclusive.

I don't understand. PS4 hardware is a couple years old. Wouldn't that mean making a similarly powerful console now can be achieved at a cheaper price?
No. None of the parts of the PS4 are cutting edge but most of the cost is in integrating them into a single SoC. Ensuring that it works, that production yields are good, etc, etc all cost significant cash.

More to the point there seems to be little desire in Nintendo to start making games that require PS4 or XB1 levels of fidelity. Nintendo's strengths have always been in art design allowing them to outshine far more expensive photo real style graphics. Why burden yourself with the insane AAA budgets of everyone else when you've shown time and again that your teams can produce more with less?

"Android means biggest third-party support, yadda yadda"

Yeah, the worst kind of third-party support. Most mobile games are absolute trash, and most of the really good ones are iOS-exclusive.

They're exclusive largely due to the rampant piracy on Android and the complexity of a thousand different form factors, Nintendo would have neither of these issues.

Absolutely. Odds are, by the time the NX launches we'll be looking at a $300 actual PS4. With a newer hardware architecture and chip manufacturing processes they could easily hit that price point and performance right out of the gate.

And considering the low-end Wii U launched at the price in 2012, odds are the NX will be at least as much, so if they put out hardware at the same price or higher with worse performance, it's just gonna be another disaster.

orioto

Good Art™

People were always wrong assuming it would be a case of WiU being more powerful than PS4, or Wi being more powerful than an xbox. They forgot those consoles had one full generation gap between their release.

Nintendo won't have a 249$, small, low power consumption PS4 2 years after it.. Even less a 149$ one!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I am guessing NX will work like this, in two modes.

Mode one: slotted into a Dock/Charger with optical drive, storage space that is expandable (for Wii-u/Wii BC) offering comparable to just under XO level of power with 1080 output.

Mode two portable. the device will open up (like 3DS) offer a lower res output, (higher res than Wii-U pad for sure) the on dual screens the device is about the size of an XL but sleek dual analogue, full touch screen.
cartridge slot for 3ds/ds games the rest digital
no 3D output
Wifi
PS+ subscription type service for older games?

dedicated e-shop. cheaper price point, etc and easy to develop for, Nintendo will court Mobile Devs and Mobile Dev divisions of bigger companies
All Nintendo Dev Teams working on the one device/

that's my guess

RulkezX

By the time the NX releases in 2017 PS4 power levels would need to be the absolute minimum you'd expect

That's a very silly question. Assuming NX is a home console, it will be a modest leap beyond Wii U but not competitive with the PS4. What Nintendo want is a platform that can offer:

1. All their legacy titles, including Wii U, Wii and GC software

I wonder how this will turn out if NX doesn't use the WiiU's tablet and/or the Wii's motion control.

People seem to think that B/C is a given. Well. It isn't. SNES, N64, GC, those were not B/C and it was only because to the almost identical hardware that the Wii was.

If NX is really a complete new concept that is cheap at the same time, than this might mean Nintendo goes for a fresh start without legacy hardware/emulators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom