• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

Well, there it is. I must have been playing ranked without realising it.

AKFrRUw.jpg

Grimdark Barratt wins every time

todahawk

Had an off match and got heckled in french last night, that was fun.
I can't want to see what other languages I can get insulted in. Hoping for some nice flowery spanish or maybe some german or russian.

misho8723

Banned
Missing split-screen on PC is BS and it just killed the game for me.. atleast one on one splitscreen could have been in the PC version, just like in FIFA and PES games..

I have had that happen, it does usually fill the spaces with bots but I guess it craps out sometimes.

It doesn't add bots on Ranked, only unranked games.

Edit: I hadn't refreshed my page in a while, it seems this was answered a while ago. Move along, nothing to see here.

OMG. I just watched some of the camgears 2v2 stream he has archived where it is him and m1kerules in a 2v2 match....they are incredible. Like, I don't even get how they can position their cars so well so quickly. I swear camgears was sometimes sideflipping away from the ball instead of toward it for some hits. Maybe hitting with the bottom of the car is better? He was calling aerial hits before he even jumped. God damn that is impressive.

Edit: I also notice how much more deliberate they are with their moves. One carefully times flip, or just simply a tap to put the ball on goal instead of going wild with boost hits and crazy flips.

Edit2: Mother of god. They ended up having 29 unanswered goals int two 2v2 matches.

Tunavi

Banned
I tried going back to Arkham Knight for a few minutes. I couldn't do it. I kept steering Batman towards groups of thugs like I was about to land a sweet header on the ball.

Rocket League has destroyed my gaming ability.

In a good way. THIS GAME...
I couldn't enjoy other games the first few days RL was out

todahawk

Accelerating is not always your friend. Learn to use reverse and the powerslide to your advantage.

I said it earlier but it bares repeating: The flip boost is your friend. A landed front or back flip gives you a small speed boost, simply double tap x and hold a direction. once you land you get a little boost that is the most efficient way to get around quickly without using your boost.

Dude, thanks... I've been using flip boosts forward and back now. Still getting used to the feel in close and in traffic but it's definitely helping me save my boost and is a HUGE difference going in reverse.

v1lla21

Played matches with GAF again last night. It was great as always. Kryo, where ever you are, just know you ruined a perfectly good moment! Too bad the Share button doesn't catch me going "OOOOH WHAT NO"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvpa_NGVT1g
Everyone hates Kryo when he's not playing with you. Lol. I kept boosting and pushing him out of the net until he got mad. Screw you too CR :p for destroying me and blocking some goals :p

misho8723

Banned
Except it isn't missing... It only works if you have two controllers or more though.

Ok, thanks for info.. but why only then when you have atleast 2 controllers?.. an option to play split-screen with one controller and keyboard/mouse would be greatly welcome

Everyone hates Kryo when he's not playing with you. Lol. I kept boosting and pushing him out of the net until he got mad. Screw you too CR :p for destroying me and blocking some goals :p

Having a full time keeper who's good at it is such a blessing, until you're against him then all bets are off. I think I did the most destructions last night but I wasn't going for it, the moments just kind of felt right. They were so right. I tried to blow Kryo up but he wouldn't let me :(.

Anyone else think that this game has a chance to be a big hit with the e sports crowd?

The finals of the first ESL tournament this past weekend had 18k Twitch viewers. I don't think it's solely novelty either. Watching high level play of people doing things kind of unimaginable to the layman will always be a draw.

BShadowJ

Ok, thanks for info.. but why only then when you have atleast 2 controllers?.. an option to play split-screen with one controller and keyboard/mouse would be greatly welcome

Well sure, true, I don't see any reason why they couldn't add that in a future update... Poor dude that would be stuck with the keyboard and mouse though... x)

BShadowJ

When is the actual tournament being played? I only saw a signup deadline date in the OP.

Oopsie... I thought it was implicit but never actually wrote it down, should have done that. Pretty much when the sign-ups end, I'll do the brackets and the tournament will start right away. (I will give a tentative deadline for the first round, and we'll go from there!)

I tried going back to Arkham Knight for a few minutes. I couldn't do it. I kept steering Batman towards groups of thugs like I was about to land a sweet header on the ball.

Rocket League has destroyed my gaming ability.

In a good way. THIS GAME...

I had the opposite effect. Playing Rocket League for a few matches and then going into Arkham Knight actually improved my Batmobile driving. I was able to clear out several APC missions right in a row.

it would be sick if we could make our own quick commands. have left, right and down as it is and make the up ones custom.

The trouble with this is presets allow us to both localize the message (so other language players can communicate) and can be shared cross platform. We aren't allowed to do unrestricted text chat between platforms and the fixed quick chat lets us bypass that.

ACE 1991

The lack of differences between cars seems like a bit of missed opportunity. It would be cool if cars had different stats suited to particular playstyles and positions, but I'm sure this would be a lot of work to balance correctly.

Hasney

The lack of differences between cars seems like a bit of missed opportunity. It would be cool if cars had different stats suited to particular playstyles and positions, but I'm sure this would be a lot of work to balance correctly.

No, the pure simplicity is what makes it so damn good.

BShadowJ

Found the IGN reviewer. :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just played a row of great 2v2s with my brother, so much fun! Random matchmaking is great for what it is, but playing with someone you know and being able to communicate plans of attack (almost nobody uses headsets in random matchups) just takes it to another level. Most fun I've had with a game this year. Decade?

Steel

Banned
I don't think adding this layer would over complicate things though. The dev team wouldn't need to go nuts with stats.

His point wasn't that it'd be hard to differentiate the frames, but rather it would harm the competitive aspect which thrives on the simplicity of the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

No. Just no.

I mean, I can see where you're coming from, but that would take away from what I love so much about this game, which is that it's 100% down to skill and not what you have equipped or whatever. You might argue that it would still be all about skill even if cars had different stats, but then you'd have to learn how each one handles and choose one to become really good with (if your goal is to compete in the rankings), and also learn how the others behave to be able to defend from them effectively. To me it's so liberating that that's not a factor at all. I could never play something like LoL, because there's SO much you have to learn by heart to really be able to compete. Here you just have to learn the basic controls, and then its up to you to practice your skills using them. The simplicity is what makes it so brilliant.

gamerMan

Played this last night and wasn't very good at it. I found it difficult to control the vehicle and would always go around the ball. Sometimes the AI would actually try to score on its own team. I need to play it more.

Dmonzy

I don't think adding this layer would over complicate things though. The dev team wouldn't need to go nuts with stats.

Stats would ruin it. As others have said, right now it's completely skill based with everyone on equal playing fields. Adding stats would create rock-paper-scissor situations that aren't fun.

Agree to disagree I guess. Stats on cars lock you into playstyles based on looks, which isn't great. It also inherently limits positional flexibility and what we like about our game is that it doesn't try to tell you how you should play based on a set of values assigned.

Also consider the complexity and frustration it brings to matchmaking. Say the van becomes the best goalie according to the stats. You get matchmade into a ranked 3v3 and your whole team are vans. Now you start having to solve the MOBA problem where team comp has to be chosen collaboratively, systems like LoL's Team Builder become needed, etc.

It just creates this huge mess for the sake of emulating the common perception of depth (choosing a class archetype with strengths and weaknesses). I just think it's a better game without that complexity.

I'm sure there's mileage in a sports game like RL where you can customize your stats like a create a player in NBA/FIFA etc. One challenge we ran into even discussing it for RL is that Speed trumps almost all other statistics.

MMaRsu

Banned
Played this last night and wasn't very good at it. I found it difficult to control the vehicle and would always go around the ball. Sometimes the AI would actually try to score on its own team. I need to play it more.

Dont keep the camera locked on the ball or you will miss shots a lot

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
God damn this game is addictive. One of the coolest things that happened to me today was when I ended up in a 2v3 match online and we still ended up winning 5-0. No the AI didn't even take over. Must have been a bug. Then in the next match the bug continued and as we kept scoring people on the other team rage quitted one after the other. So it ended up as us 2 vs nobody. Nice shot! Nice shot! Nice shot! Wow! We ended up turning the rest of that game in to a 1v1 after that despite us both being on the same team.

Tunavi

Banned
No. Just no.

I mean, I can see where you're coming from, but that would take away from what I love so much about this game, which is that it's 100% down to skill and not what you have equipped or whatever. You might argue that it would still be all about skill even if cars had different stats, but then you'd have to learn how each one handles and choose one to become really good with (if your goal is to compete in the rankings), and also learn how the others behave to be able to defend from them effectively. To me it's so liberating that that's not a factor at all. I could never play something like LoL, because there's SO much you have to learn by heart to really be able to compete. Here you just have to learn the basic controls, and then its up to you to practice your skills using them. The simplicity is what makes it so brilliant.
YUP. less variation between players puts a greater emphasis on skill. which is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom