• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for the super-fans present: How much information have we had in the show relating to ages of characters, dates of events, etc?

For about a year now I've been building a timeline of significant events in the MLP universe, and I'm thinking of maybe starting one for Steven Universe. From memory we've had mostly vague mentions of "thousands" of years for a lot of stuff, and very few detailed accounts of past events. Worth trying at this stage, or is the info too thin on the ground?
I'm sure a pretty reasonable timeline could be made from the time Greg and Rose met to the present.

IIRC, for the far past, the only concrete date we have is from yesterday's episode, "Historical Friction", and even that was just 200 years ago (IIRC). The painting of Garnet punching a shark was probably soon after that. The rest is vague mentions of thousands of years.

I say go for it. As much as I like MLP, it wasn't attempting at all to have a coherent timeline, right from how they had a Fall episode air right after an episode about the end of Winter, yet you're still making a timeline work. Steven Universe, on the other hand, we know has a clear backstory in mind.

PBalfredo

North and South America. Florida is gone, and South America has been working out.

ktPjQgX.png

Eh, I know this show has been teaching us to look for lore everywhere, but I think this is just a plain animation error. Any rise in sea level big enough to submerge Florida would also sink the Delmarva Peninsula, where the show takes place.

Psxphile

Eh, I know this show has been teaching us to look for lore everywhere, but I think this is just a plain animation error. Any rise in sea level big enough to submerge Florida would also sink the Delmarva Peninsula, where the show takes place.

This is the third time in the show they've referenced a map that had a missing Florida.

Raxus

Maybe that is what happened to Ocean Town!

LOL PSX,

I'd swear you had that prepared waiting for that response.

PaulloDEC

I'm sure a pretty reasonable timeline could be made from the time Greg and Rose met to the present.

IIRC, for the far past, the only concrete date we have is from yesterday's episode, "Historical Friction", and even that was just 200 years ago (IIRC). The painting of Garnet punching a shark was probably soon after that. The rest is vague mentions of thousands of years.

I say go for it. As much as I like MLP, it wasn't attempting at all to have a coherent timeline, right from how they had a Fall episode air right after an episode about the end of Winter, yet you're still making a timeline work. Steven Universe, on the other hand, we know has a clear backstory in mind.

Thanks, pretty much what I figured. I'm right at the end of a rewatch now, so I might use my next one to search for useful info.

Guys, I think we have the Florida thing backwards. Maybe on this world, Florida was absent from the start, and without that area to contain the strangeness, it spread out across the world.

Maybe its plot related or just a away for them to make the story work, but its weird how
none of the gems shapeshift into a bird or something to catch Peridot as she's getting away.

Well technically Amethyst could've shapeshifted into a bird when she (I don't know if i have to spoiler this but i will anyway)
fell off the cliff and chipped her gem.

It's just to serve the plot.

Lijik

EDIT: When everyone formed a chain to grab Peridot, was I the only one expecting them to fuse one at a time, ending with the grand reveal of a fusion of the Crystal Gems and Steven?

i thought it was pretty amazing that they were able to pull off the muppet ladder on the first try. It took the actual muppets a whole movie to be able to do it
Screen-Shot-2015-03-14-at-11.28.53-PM.png

Well technically Amethyst could've shapeshifted into a bird when she (I don't know if i have to spoiler this but i will anyway)

She didn't know that the fall would chip her gem, and she didn't even realize it was cracked after the fact. There was like no reason at all for her to shapeshift to avoid the fall.

But it makes their actions feel forced and is bad writing, in a show that is known for excellent writing and thinking of all the little details. This episode really bummed me out about the show.

Raxus

With the amount of times Peridot keeps popping up I have no doubt she will be a Crystal Gem by the end of the season.

With the amount of times Peridot keeps popping up I have no doubt she will be a Crystal Gem by the end of the season.
Not necessarily they might be making her into a team rocket type of deal. My biggest concern is jasper and yd. Garnet wasn't able to beat her as much as hold her back. Yellow diamond gonna fuck them over unless stevonnie ends up being their trump card.

Lapis seems like the green ranger type of char. Which is great. Lone ranger who helps the gems

Violet_0

Banned
yeah Peridot is great, but can't she just rebuild herself like the other gems?

anyway this episode was a pretty nice conclusion of Steven Bomb 3, but they kind of overhyped it with the "Pearl hitting rock bottom" tagline - the conflict between Pearl and Garnet wasn't really that bad. And unfortunately Sardonyx also barely got any screentime
don't think so, Pearl's already occupying the role of the tech savvy team member and she's actually truly evil, in a funny way. If there's going to be another Crystal Gem, it's gonna be Lapis

This episode was somewhat disappointing. Yes, we got the Garnet and Pearl resolution, but that was a given; the plot didn't advance otherwise, and Peridot escaping over and over like Dr. Gang is starting to wear really thin. For the finale of this arc it felt underwhelming, and the "Sardonyx week" turned out to be almost a joke considering we barely saw her after her introduction episode.

I'm also bummed that three seasons is apparently all there's going to be. Sure, that means the series is not even half done, but things have slowed down quite a bit after Jailbreak, making it seem we're only going to see changes to the status quo during season finales. If there's only three seasons, that's not a lot of room for manoeuvre to take the series to new places...

Thores

This episode was somewhat disappointing. Yes, we got the Garnet and Pearl resolution, but that was a given; the plot didn't advance otherwise, and Peridot escaping over and over like Dr. Gang is starting to wear really thin. For the finale of this arc it felt underwhelming, and the "Sardonyx week" turned out to be almost a joke considering we barely saw her after her introduction episode.

I'm also bummed that three seasons is apparently all there's going to be. Sure, that means the series is not even half done, but things have slowed down quite a bit after Jailbreak, making it seem we're only going to see changes to the status quo during season finales. If there's only three seasons, that's not a lot of room for manoeuvre to take the series to new places...

I think "Week of Sardonyx" was a great thing to call this arc. Every episode revolved around the aftermath of Garnet and Pearl fusing. Sardonyx may have barely been physically present after Monday, but she was absolutely one of the central themes of this week.

I also feel like 3 seasons is plenty of time to tell Steven's story. I would rather have a short-ish but excellent series than one that keeps getting renewed but loses steam down the line.

Fireblend

Banned
The only time this show has "ramped up" in terms of plot advancement has been the one approximately between Rose's Scabbard and Jailbreak. Before that, I'd argue plot was even slower than it is now. The previous bomb was great in terms of main plot, and I'd say this one was too although not as much.

People expecting every other episode to be a Jailbreak must be those who joined watching around Ocean Gem or Jailbreak, and don't remember how slice of life the show was before that.

I'm pretty sure it's just that three seasons is all they're currently signed on for. There's no guarantee that that will be the end; they just have to get signed on for more. I think they only got season 3 a few weeks ago, so it will likely be a while before anyone knows if they're getting a fourth season.

Chariot

That one makes me see a montage of the Crystal Gems travelling the earth, eradicating on remnant of the Gem War after the others, enduring great pain and stress, but ultimately kept alive by their own belives. Rose, Freedom of Relationship and Earth itself.

I hope there is some holo recording of Rose Quarz somewhere telling Pearl: "Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." She really needs that.

--
edit:

I am just watching the Comic-Con Panel. It's a bit sad how much more applause and crowd reaction Steven Universe gets. I mean, I am glad for the SU crew, but man that musst've been somewhat sad for the AT guys.

Raxus

Theres literally nothing to support that

Seeing how massive Yellow Diamond is and Rose Quartz was (who is looking more and more to be Pink Diamond), I think we can assume that Lapis is part of the Blue Diamond Hierarchy but no way in hell is she Blue Diamond.

Speaking of Diamonds. The quad diamond appeared again in the derelict ship along with the pink diamonds which leads me to believe it was the ship Rose arrived on.

don't think so, Pearl's already occupying the role of the tech savvy team member and she's actually truly evil, in a funny way. If there's going to be another Crystal Gem, it's gonna be Lapis

Pearl's techy but she still doesn't know what stuff the HW has made since the war. PDot has inside info on not only what new tech there is but also what their plans are, why she was looking into Earth stuff, how HW's culture has changed and all that.

Plus, she's clearly a baby gem. She's been shocked at how her robo-parts work, she relies on the over use of one cuss word and she copies anything she thinks is an insult as seen with her Steven mimicking. She would bring a new dynamic to the team and it's pretty easy to justify. (She said earth has an expiration date. If YD is behind that and doesn't care that she's still stuck on earth then she may have to defect if she wants to live and ultimately help the CGs if she wants to return to HW)

She could learn a lot from the gems and they could learn a ton from her.

Not necessarily they might be making her into a team rocket type of deal. My biggest concern is jasper and yd. Garnet wasn't able to beat her as much as hold her back. Yellow diamond gonna fuck them over unless stevonnie ends up being their trump card.

Lapis seems like the green ranger type of char. Which is great. Lone ranger who helps the gems

I don't think Jasper's too strong. We haven't seen the CGs fight her head on as a team and at best she's Garnet level. I feel Opal's stronger than Garnet and beyond that I'm sure Sug or Sardonyx can take her out no problem.

I also feel that Fusion is looked down upon by the HW PARTY because the Diamonds don't want other gems to know that they can use fusion to surpass them.

Toxi

Banned
I get the feeling the Crystal Gems are gonna find a use for the foot. Even if they don't, I think the way the foot came off indicates it isn't part of Peridot's "natural" body, so she can't regenerate and will have to manually build a replacement. Considering the primitive tech she has to work with, I foresee hilarious results.
tumblr_nro34y2LiH1unsts4o1_250.gif
tumblr_nro34y2LiH1unsts4o2_250.gif

tumblr_nro34y2LiH1unsts4o3_250.gif
tumblr_nro34y2LiH1unsts4o4_250.gif

Haha Peridot copies Steven. Cute
Goddamnit, Peridot's such a dork. You can tell she thinks she's delivering some sick Earth burns by imitating Steven's insults.

KiN0

Pearl's techy but she still doesn't know what stuff the HW has made since the war. PDot has inside info on not only what new tech there is but also what their plans are, why she was looking into Earth stuff, how HW's culture has changed and all that.

Plus, she's clearly a baby gem. She's been shocked at how her robo-parts work, she relies on the over use of one cuss word and she copies anything she thinks is an insult as seen with her Steven mimicking. She would bring a new dynamic to the team and it's pretty easy to justify. (She said earth has an expiration date. If YD is behind that and doesn't care that she's still stuck on earth then she may have to defect if she wants to live and ultimately help the CGs if she wants to return to HW)

She could learn a lot from the gems and they could learn a ton from her.

I don't think Jasper's too strong. We haven't seen the CGs fight her head on as a team and at best she's Garnet level. I feel Opal's stronger than Garnet and beyond that I'm sure Sug or Sardonyx can take her out no problem.

I also feel that Fusion is looked down upon by the HW PARTY because the Diamonds don't want other gems to know that they can use fusion to surpass them.

I don;t know why you think Peridot's a baby gem. Aside from the helicopter fingers, she seems to know her body pretty well, and her silly insults are more indicative of dorkiness than immaturity. That being said, I also think she would make a great addition to the team. Her personality fits in with the other gems, and most of the evil she's committed seems to be done out of duty rather than outright malicious intent.

As for fusion, I don't think this is the reason it's looked down upon. It's seems as though it's common knowledge that fusion results in a more powerful gem.

I don;t know why you think Peridot's a baby gem. Aside from the helicopter fingers, she seems to know her body pretty well, and her silly insults are more indicative of dorkiness than immaturity.
You're forgetting her expression after being knocked on her ass with her first attempt at fighting back/ blasting her arm cannon.
tumblr_nrovgfWedH1u0ov3bo5_1280.png

tumblr_inline_nrnw2vddSQ1rr7108_500.png

tumblr_inline_nrnw31yj8B1rr7108_500.png

And the fact that she was looking into earth projects without even knowing who the CGs were (compared to Jasper who not only knew all about the gems but also likely was in the war and seemed to only come because she wanted to face Rose).

Also, she didn't know what humans looked like (or at least not enough to know if Steven was one at first sight. Jasper saw Steven as human upon seeing him and only recognized him as a gem after the shield reveal.)

That really frames her actions (stomping around, having a tantrum because of how outdated and confusing the old Gem Ship is. Mimicking/ learning Steven's facial expressions cause it's somekinda insult to him. Being so upset that they "keep breaking my stuff!") as those of a young person with lil experience.

I kinda think that's why Amy was the one who to address the whole Clod thing before calling her a Clod. Amy's also a young gem.
As for fusion, I don't think this is the reason it's looked down upon. It's seems as though it's common knowledge that fusion results in a more powerful gem.

It may be common knowledge but just like in the Real World common knowledge doesn't always translate into action. Gem society and culture could have been molded by the ruling class to look down on fusion/ making meaningful relationships that may lead to fusion as a means to control the lower classes. Would explain why the rebellion ended in what seems like a "nuke it and scrub this shit from history" for the HW. The CGs were able to fight off the HW on earth because of Rose and the values she stood for (like Fusion).

iosefe

Peridot is a Gem-powered Robot and nothing can change my mind.

remove the gem and let her reform into a real body and lets see how well she fares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom