• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 20-26 | No Gods or Kings, Only Tears

Kalamari

I'm really concerned about the shortcuts, it seems it will be the same as in SFIV. I wish they would do a way with that garbage or give an option to disable shortcuts altogether.

Also, fuck esports.

notworksafe

Why the ban? Does that go for SG locals too?

For casuals/weeklies it's not really a big deal. For anything large we do, we enforce the ban on wireless stuff and PS3 sticks.

It just ends up being a hassle, always takes up too much time, and then someone forgets to turn off the DS4 they were using and it fucks something up with the next match being played.

We haven't had SG at a big event since last September so I dunno what we'll do if we run a PS4 tourney for it.

All that being said, we had a regional last month and allowed PS3/Wireless stuff for MKX since people wouldn't have had time to buy new controllers/sticks yet. It didn't go too bad but there were definitely delays because of controller issues.

Anne

Damn, ignored.

There was a 10~ minute gameplay session with Peter afterwards where more smaller questions were answered. I didn't ask about 2 button dash because plainly I felt like it wasn't a good question regarding SFV and there were more interesting things I wanted to know at that moment.

"SFV was built with esports in mind" was interesting to me. Raised a lot of "can't answer you now" questions.

Shouta

You can erase wireless controllers on the PS4 now, so there's really no big concern as long as the bracket runner or the players of the next match do it.

The poorly implemented versions of the SG driver are a different matter though.

notworksafe

You can erase wireless controllers on the PS4 now, so there's really no big concern as long as the bracket runner or the players of the next match do it.

The poorly implemented versions of the SG driver are a different matter though.

The MKX method is especially annoying. Someone was saying the USF4 method is basically the same as MKX's, but I haven't tried it.

IIRC in SG you can actually just turn the DS4 off after your stick is in, right? That's much nicer but again relies on a player actually doing that.

Skilletor

The MKX method is especially annoying. Someone was saying the USF4 method is basically the same as MKX's, but I haven't tried it.

IIRC in SG you can actually just turn the DS4 off after your stick is in, right? That's much nicer but again relies on a player actually doing that.

Pretty sure in SG, you just plug in a ps3 stick. MikeZ posted a vid that was taken down.

I thought MKX patched their method for the driver to match SG, but I could be mistaken.

Shouta

It's all the same for wireless pads. You can turn them off but that doesn't prevent them from accidentally being connected again. SG is no different. For PS3 sticks, SG has it properly implemented where you start the game on a DS4 and then can turn it off (erase) and then plug your PS3 stick in to play.

You can erase DS4s from the bluetooth memory to prevent that. It takes all of like 15-20 seconds to do as long as folks are doing it before their match.

notworksafe

Pretty sure in SG, you just plug in a ps3 stick. MikeZ posted a vid that was taken down.

I thought MKX patched their method for the driver to match SG, but I could be mistaken.

Oh? I thought you still needed the whole bullshit with syncing a DS4 and then taking it out and all the rest. And I don't use a stick on MKX, so I'll have to check if it was changed. I just use a DS4 with the battery removed.

I get that it's easy for a lot of people to just remember to turn off/erase pads. That's why we don't mind people doing that for weeklies, when there's a core group of ~20 people that know what to do. But when you get into 100+ players in a tourney, it's just easier to not give them the option to screw up, heh.

CKjAUa3W8AErwYN.png

these Street Fighter V characters are getting worse and worse

Alucrid

Banned
got the rap 4 in. gate seems a bit roomier than a te, buttons definitely require a more firm touch. might swap them out. the real test will be the beta this weekend though

vulva

Damn, ignored.

In 100% seriousness, how many people have you found that agree with the idea of a 2 button dash in street fighter? From a design perspective it just seems to make zero sense for a game like it (how it would impact charge moves, how it would impact negative edge moves, etc).

I get you really really really want it for some reason, but I get the feeling that you're in the vast minority here and I don't quite get why you keep pushing for it.

Not quite. In SG I've noticed that if you have something like a matchmaking error happen it brings up a PS4 error screen that you have to usea DS4 to hit OK on

Dahbomb

Two button dash in SFV makes about as much sense to me as two button dash in Tekken.

Sure it's technically faster to have it be on two buttons as opposed to double tap direction... but it would be faster to have double tap button for SRK or QCF motions as well.

SFV already has many buttons that are reserved for double tapping. You have LP + LK for throw, MP + MK for V-Skills and HP + HP for V-Trigger. You of course can't have LP + HP because of EX moves. That just leaves weird stuff like LP + MK which just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Like if you are having trouble with forward, forward then you would probably have trouble with doing stuff like super jump dash motions as well. Why not have double buttons for super jump as well? Or have double button input for double jumps as well?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Two button dash in SFV makes about as much sense to me as two button dash in Tekken.

Sure it's technically faster to have it be on two buttons as opposed to double tap direction... but it would be faster to have double tap button for SRK or QCF motions as well.

SFV already has many buttons that are reserved for double tapping. You have LP + LK for throw, MP + MK for V-Skills and HP + HP for V-Trigger. You of course can't have LP + HP because of EX moves. That just leaves weird stuff like LP + MK which just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Like if you are having trouble with forward, forward then you would probably have trouble with doing stuff like super jump dash motions as well. Why not have double buttons for super jump as well?
This is how I feel.

With their campaign to reduce complexity across the board as well, I'm not sure if it's worth it to muddy up inputs like two punches/two kicks for the sake of another dash input.

Dahbomb

Aside from it being weird it's also incredibly awkward to do on a pad(depending on your layout I guess).
If you have been following the posts then you should know that the discussion is almost exclusively about stick, not pad.

Pad players don't even have enough space on the controller to map all these macros on. Like you have 6 buttons taken up attacks.. then you need one for V-Skill and Throws which still leaves stuff like V-Trigger or Triple button inputs for Reversals unmapped.

And doing double tap dashes on pad is even easier on a stick.

those kuro buttons are definitely a love/hate thing but the hayabusa stick is just a dream imo.
They both feel kind of weird to me. I am adjusting. At least 1 month of play before I give final judgment. The only thing I am certain I would dislike Kuro buttons for is pianoing, but they seem fine otherwise. My Zato was as crisp (read: burnt) as ever with them.

I encourage people on the fence to give them an extensive trial.

In 100% seriousness, how many people have you found that agree with the idea of a 2 button dash in street fighter? From a design perspective it just seems to make zero sense for a game like it (how it would impact charge moves, how it would impact negative edge moves, etc).

I get you really really really want it for some reason, but I get the feeling that you're in the vast minority here and I don't quite get why you keep pushing for it.
Not many have agreed, but as Biz said, he has trouble double tapping due to a physical disability. In my opinion, you don't need a lot of people to suffer something to introduce a remedy for it. Why would I stop asking about something I want just because others are disinterested? That would be a stupid way to live.

If ComboFiend heard the request and said "no", I would drop it. It doesn't seem like too much to simply want the request HEARD. That's all I was hoping for from Anne. Believe me, I would rather be able to stop bringing it up, but my mind won't let it go until at least that much has happened.

Like if you are having trouble with forward, forward then you would probably have trouble with doing stuff like super jump dash motions as well. Why not have double buttons for super jump as well? Or have double button input for double jumps as well?
Down up is easier than down down.

I don't see why pad warriors can't voice their own concerns about this.

Pads have plenty of room for macros. Touchpad swipes, L3/R3, etc.

Dahbomb

I don't see why pad warriors can't voice their own concerns about this.

Pads have plenty of room for macros. Touchpad swipes, L3/R3, etc.
Those buttons aren't in easy to access places. Especially R3.

It's not something you can give your concerns to Capcom about this, it's the way the controllers are designed. You want your fingers/thumbs to be near all the relevant buttons. Having to move your thumb from the D-pad to the L3 or Face buttons to R3 is not all that great... it's bad enough doing it on a game like DMC, it's worse with fighters.

It only works with stuff like Combo breakers (Killer Instinct) on Right stick mostly because that only comes into play when you are in combos which is a different state entirely from regular combat.

vocab

Two button dash for SF just seems weird. I'm not against getting rid of dash motions with buttons, but I don't think its something that should be used in SF. Lets just put universal runs in SFV, and be done with it.

vulva

Not many have agreed, but as Biz said, he has trouble double tapping due to a physical disability. In my opinion, you don't need a lot of people to suffer something to introduce a remedy for it. Why would I stop asking about something I want just because others are disinterested? That would be a stupid way to live.

If ComboFiend heard the request and said "no", I would drop it. It doesn't seem like too much to simply want the request HEARD. That's all I was hoping for from Anne. Believe me, I would rather be able to stop bringing it up, but my mind won't let it go until at least that much has happened.

So what's your solution to charge characters with 2 button dashes?

Anne

Dude, I'm just gonna say it's not a good question, and in my limited time I chose other stuff, sorry.

Capcom does read GAF though I found out. If you're that beat up about it get in your own contact and just ask and I'm sure they'll say so.

Anne

By Capcom I mean the lord himself :>

You'd be crazy to think those companies don't pay attention to us and other forums/media sites lol

DunpealD

Our talk with Peter and Matt is up http://shoryuken.com/2015/07/22/com...-game-we-want-them-to-fight-the-other-person/

I could've done better orz still some interesting things.

Nice interview.

We wanted to take away people being able to confirm links off lights. We think that makes the game too light heavy. People are just concentrating on pressing that button. What we want instead is people to use all their character’s attacks and really explore the character.

I think this is one of the bigger issues with SFxT. Lights were too strong and capable leading into heavy scaled long combos, especially with the magic series into character tag in. I wish they would give SFxT another chance with some kind of GOTY edition and make it more like SFV, including improved UI for tournaments.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Dude, I'm just gonna say it's not a good question, and in my limited time I chose other stuff, sorry.

Capcom does read GAF though I found out. If you're that beat up about it get in your own contact and just ask and I'm sure they'll say so.

Haunts is an OG GAFer, so yeah.

Kumubou

Who, Haunts? He posts here, or at least he used to.
Lord Haunts is watching over all of us, for better or for worse.

#bonkhaunts

I think this is one of the bigger issues with SFxT. Lights were too strong and capable leading into heavy scaled long combos, especially with the magic series into character tag in. I wish they would give SFxT another chance with some kind of GOTY edition and make it more like SFV, including improved UI for tournaments.
I don't think the issue was with lights leading to big damage (hell, SF4 has the same problem), I think it was more that it felt like the never could decide if they wanted a chain-based combo system or a link-based one and the whole thing felt half-baked, especially with most Tekken characters having a number of target combos, to the point where they could ignore the boost chains completely if they wanted to.

I also thought their answer regarding proximity guard was kind of wack, basically saying that it is the way it is because that's how Street Fighter has been, not because it's good for the game.

Top Bottom