• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

i understand they probably think its not smart to make an announcement for localization right now, but like I said: its 2015, games are announced globally now. When FF7 remake was announced it was a global announcement. When FF15 and KH3 were announced at an english event, it was also confirmed as a global release. Same with Star Ocean, Nier 2, and their new IP rpg. The problem is dragon quest. Square refuses to just say "yes this game is coming to the west."

Star Ocean was announced earlier without a English localisation confirmation. That only came during E3.

Shahed

How does that mean I'm saying that Square are betting the farm on an International release? If anything it's the opposite. Japan is most important hence 3DS. They're also making a PS4 which is probably more for the West hence I have no worries about localisation. Nothing there leads to them going all in for the International version

Raw64life

3DS version being 2D and 3D at the same time is cool, but I'm simply going to buy whatever version comes to America first. Smart money is on that being the PS4 version.

yazanov

Banned
WOW the PS4 version looks exactly what Id expect a successor of Dragon Quest 8 to look like on current gen hardware. very Impressive and Beautiful. Dat Art style!

Beautiful. Looks like the successor to VIII I've been waiting for. And was that a monster on the field at the end of the first gif on the OP?

Yeah why the can't commit to localization of at least the PS4 is baffling. They have so many games in the pipeline for that platfrom already confirmed for the West...

Same reason they couldn't commit to Dragon Quest Heroes's localisation until February 2015, even though the game was announced in September 2014.

Same reason they couldn't commit to Star Ocean 5's localisation until June 2015, even though the game was announced only two month earlier. (April 2015)

Wensih

3DS version looks really cool with 3D models on top and sprite work on bottom.

PS4 version definitely looks sharp but it reminds although I wish they stuck with cel-shading as most of the characters and enemies are too cartoony to go for photo-realism without looking like toys.

Mikey Jr.

I hope for seamless battle transition in the PS4 version.

Agreed. I was going to say "don't even go to another screen. Have the battle right there on the map". But that wouldn't work if they wanted multiple enemies.

Also, I doubt the ds and ps4 versions will be released at the same time. Release the 3ds version first, get those sales, then the ps4 version. This is what I expect to happen.

Maybe they had deal with Sony or Nintendo to announce localization on their events. Maybe we could get localization info during Paris Game Week or PSX this year.

Frodo

I'm loving that top-down view on the 3DS. Not to mention playing RPGs is always better on mobile where you can just suspend and pick up again from where you were in no time, anywhere.

Same reason they couldn't commit to Dragon Quest Heroes's localisation until February 2015, even though the game was announced in September 2014.

Same reason they couldn't commit to Star Ocean 5's localisation until June 2015, even though the game was announced only two month earlier. (April 2015)

Pretty much, which is my point. Why is anyone expecting them to announce a western release here? It's a Japanese event.

Scrawnton

because square likes to stick their fingers in their ears and act like western fans do not exist until they're ready to say something?

Berordn

Agreed. I was going to say "don't even go to another screen. Have the battle right there on the map". But that wouldn't work if they wanted multiple enemies.

What if they just called in other nearby enemies? Or after the camera locks itself to battle position they rush in from off screen?

because square likes to stick their fingers in their ears and act like western fans do not exist until they're ready to say something?

Because separation of regional business units.

You assume SE US/Europe is well aware of every damn thing that goes on in SE Japan, but that's highly unlikely.. Especially for IPs like DQ which is Japan-first, chances are every single decision must be approved by SE Japan first, and that includes localisation.

Tldr; Until the bosses over in Japan signs the localisation sheet, the western branches of SE can only give non-statements.

Ganondorfo

2 questions:

1) Is this game single player like VIII or a MMORPG?

2) Will it have the music again by the same composer who did the music for every other Dragon Quest game?

rpmurphy

Pretty much, which is my point. Why is anyone expecting them to announce a western release here? It's a Japanese event.
We keep saying that and yet multiple games have passed localization. But this one will be different, I swear! Nah, I'm going to skip the mental gymnastics and just going to keep my expectations low and be nicely surprised if they do announce a localization.

woopWOOP

Woah, NX?

I'll eventually buy one no doubt, so I'll might be getting the fancy DQ XI version.
You know, if it's for NX outside of Japan aswell.

Mikey Jr.

Well this is unexpected. So which version will nX get? PS4 or 3ds?

I'm gonna say....

3ds. I still believe the nx is a hybrid, play on the go and at home with one device.

I don't think that would work with the graphics that they are showing off with the ps4 version.

I was hoping for something a lot like what the PS4 version is like. But the 3DS version is what I didn't know I wanted. Its use of the two screens is the most interesting use I have heard of in a long time.

The 3DS version looks amazing. I am definitely getting that version of DQ XI. I might double dip on a console version if there is a big enough difference, besides graphics.

Pretty interesting launch platforms. Disappointing Vita couldnt get the 2D sprite version that the 3DS version is getting. Ah well, at least handheld and home console is covered. Interesting for the NX part as strongly hints at a release next fall...

EDIT: Ok I apologize if this comes off as port begging but man, that sprite based 3DS game looks amazing and I just wish Vita would get it too. *sigh* Sorry again.

Arkeband

Banned
I'd almost prefer if the two games have diverging story lines, if we get the ps4 version before the 3DS version, regardless of how charming the 16-bit bottom screen is, I'm going to have a hard time drudging through a game I've already beaten in a lower resolution.

Caronte

Top Bottom