• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

yay Opo-opos are back

in case you missed it like me, Dengeki from last week had some info as well.
Is the translation correct though? It says the voice acting will be English for all versions including the Japanese one (were they THIS impressed by FF12? ^^).

combat system sounds interesting imo.
no auto-attack, abilities/attacks for each the left and right hand, basically an online ATB with a second gauge (TP) to fill up.

Ravidrath

I prefer the old Puk design, but I like the direction most of the monsters are going in.

Need Goblins and Mandragoras, though!

DrDogg

Seems the Famitsu Wave DVD semi-confirmed that there will be some form of Magitek Armor in the game. I'm wondering if this will be something the players can use (possibly even as a mount?) or if it will be limited to enemies.

I'm also wondering if the flying machines from the E3 trailer are potentially the new form of Magitek Armor. They had guns and seemed to be single-person machines.

Famitsu also hinted that perhaps Weavers will be able to do battle... with their needles. I think that'd be kind of cool if Weaver and Blacksmith are more than just crafting classes.

SolidusDave said:
combat system sounds interesting imo.
no auto-attack, abilities/attacks for each the left and right hand, basically an online ATB with a second gauge (TP) to fill up.

Don't forget the Power Gauge. You now have 3 gauges to fill during battle. I'm wondering how long the Action and Power Gauges take to fill though. And also how this works for mage classes.

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
Seems the Famitsu Wave DVD semi-confirmed that there will be some form of Magitek Armor in the game. I'm wondering if this will be something the players can use (possibly even as a mount?) or if it will be limited to enemies.

I'm also wondering if the flying machines from the E3 trailer are potentially the new form of Magitek Armor. They had guns and seemed to be single-person machines.

Famitsu also hinted that perhaps Weavers will be able to do battle... with their needles. I think that'd be kind of cool if Weaver and Blacksmith are more than just crafting classes.

Don't forget the Power Gauge. You now have 3 gauges to fill during battle. I'm wondering how long the Action and Power Gauges take to fill though. And also how this works for mage classes.

I KNEW IT. FFIV x FFVI style all the way! Garlean empire will probably be just like Emperor Ghestal and his Empire.

DrDogg said:
Magitek Armor.

hiimdaisy.jpg

Azrael

DrDogg said:

I think they'll probably integrate crafting jobs into the battle system as support classes. For example, a Blacksmith could provide buffs to armored knights, while a Weaver buffs the mages.

Teknoman

Alex said:
Magitek Armor is cool, but does it make sense in a world where magic is pretty common?

Probably just mean some sort of mechanical ride armor. Could just be what the bad guys might ride in since the main enemies were described as " Metal clad warriors brandishing weapons that spewed streams of fire".

Azrael said:
I think they'll probably integrate crafting jobs into the battle system as support classes. For example, a Blacksmith could provide buffs to armored knights, while a Weaver buffs the mages.

Or, you see a line of Blacksmiths and Weavers repairing the armor&weapons of their party members during battles :lol

and yeah..
Ff6_magitek.jpg

DO WANT.

Though Teknoman is probably right about the enemies, the description matches.
But imo the flying things of the trailer could be part of it, too.

Jinko

Weaver = 1000 sewing needles .. :lol (personally though I don't want to see crafting/gathering classes being used in battle)

The information is pretty much the same, I really hope TGS brings us some new info.

I really don't wana see Magitek armor in FF14.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Teknoman said:
Probably just mean some sort of mechanical ride armor. Could just be what the bad guys might ride in since the main enemies were described as " Metal clad warriors brandishing weapons that spewed streams of fire".

Or it could just be a set of armor called "Magitek".

Well that just shot my interest levels up a fair amount :lol

I'd love to see a lot more of the Steampunk-ish technology and stuff in FFXIV than the previous MMO.

NeoForte

I'm hoping the Drg job is in the game and that it's not some cookie cutter DD...I kinda enjoyed the support the Wyvern brought to XI's DRG. Would be nice if they expanded on that~ That is if there is a Drg like job (Maybe called Lancer or w/e it was called in FFXII International?).

carlo6529

Teknoman said:

Or maybe it could be a new race specific ability.

I'd still take a chocobo over a mechanical mount though. They need to give different incentives for different mounts other then speed if there is going to be more then one type of mount.

It would be cool and at the same time annoying/crazy if you could level up your chocobo, similar from going to a regular chocobo, to green, blue, red, black and gold chocobo(basically ff7's chocobo system).

DrDogg

There was also some talk about Final Fantasy XIV and how the efforts of the STF will transfer to the new MMO. Through years of experience, the STF has developed a solid profile on RMT, their location (centralized in China) and the tactics they employ. The One-Time password and Security Token system are set to be used for Final Fantasy XIV and already 100,000 units have been sold and implemented since their inception in April 2009. In addition, the STF will expand its roster to cover the game directly. Sundi makes it clear that although RMT pay money for accounts they are not considered customers, but criminals that will be eliminated from the get-go with new techniques that directly target their methods.

In addition to the One-Time Password, Square Enix's recent introduction of 3D-Secure to the payment system is another way they intend to cut off RMT. It turns out this was in response to the RMT's latest and most damaging tactic: the theft and illegal use of credit cards. RMT would make illegal charges that had to be rectified once the victim discovered them. This created a huge hassle and loss of money across the board. The swift action of Square Enix to implement 3D-Secure to combat this has shown their dedication to protecting their customers, yet left many players frustrated and confused due to poor timing and lack of information.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=19574

Nothing major here, just some insight on their continued focus to take down RMT. We also get sales figures on the security token they added to FFXI.

Looks like they're adding some new technology in FFXIV targeted specifically at RMT. Wonder how effective it will be...

Khrno

DrDogg said:
Looks like they're adding some new technology in FFXIV targeted specifically at RMT. Wonder how effective it will be...

China's IPs will be banned from the game, SE will blame it on the Chinese government.

jiggle

rykomatsu posted these on ps3forums from the new famitsu

FFXIV
-Necklaces, belts, and rings, unlike XI, will be reflected graphically when equipped
-It seems as though westerners translated my comments as "everything would be seamless" but in actuality not everything from towns and the worlds will be seamless
-Seamless movement in an area equivalent to the size of a region in XI will be possible.
-You will be able to draw weapons in towns.
-Battles with enemies will take into account front/back/left/right positioning. Haven't thought about elevation effects
-Characters will not age, however, you will be able to change your hairstyle
-Deterioration of weapons may be reflected graphically as well
-Translated in the west as fully voiced, but not all NPCs will have voice
-Etherlite (sp?) is not just a warp device, but can also be a place for people to gather
-Character movement utilizes motion capture. Was not used at all in XI
-Character's visual expressions will also change during the game
-Basic play will be in windowed mode, rather than full screen mode for PC version
-Miquottes only have ears above (positioning?). Some Miquotte will have glasses like Humans (forget what they're actually called) but please don't ask why they can wear glasses (probably due to ear stem positioning vs. ear position)

Tanaka: Even with this, graphics are at around 50%. Please look forward to the graphical aspect

Quazar

Necklaces, belts, and rings, unlike XI, will be reflected graphically when equipped

Check out my black belt now bitches.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Quazar said:
Necklaces, belts, and rings, unlike XI, will be reflected graphically when equipped

It had better.
/cheer worked in FFXI too :D

Jinko

-It seems as though westerners translated my comments as "everything would be seamless" but in actuality not everything from towns and the worlds will be seamless

Disappointing, I hope the load times are fast between zones, it really bothered me at times in FF11.

jiggle

loading doens't bother me as much as missing out party/linkshell/tell messages
really hope they have a solution for this

Munba

Very interesting, especially the visibile little items. BTW, those info should be from Dengeki.

Munba

Rocwell

Seiken said:
It had better.

/cheer worked in FFXI too :D
You ever do that thing where it looks like you're sliding around after you draw your weapon?

Looks like there still might be a bit of that in XIV based on some of the footage I saw :lol

It's good that S-E's going to have their act together from the start for dealing with RMT this time around. When FFXI first started they weren't really prepared for it, and it took them awhile to really get the ball rolling on starting the task force.
jiggle said:
-Basic play will be in windowed mode, rather than full screen mode for PC version
Also glad to see this is in from the start this time around too. :lol

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
Disappointing, I hope the load times are fast between zones, it really bothered me at times in FF11.

He said "regions."

Could be an inaccurate translation, but that could mean the equivalent of multiple FFXI zones, the ones you take over in Conquest. Ala Zulkheim, Li'Telor, Tavnazia, etc.

jiggle said:
loading doens't bother me as much as missing out party/linkshell/tell messages
really hope they have a solution for this

I think this was an artifact of how they build their servers - every time you changed zones, you were effectively moving to another sub-server.

This approach makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways, but this is why you wouldn't be able to receive chat while zoning.

I kind of doubt they're going to fundamentally restructure their server configuration, but you never know... at the very least, if the zones are much less frequent, this will be less of an issue.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Quazar said:

:lol

I'm surprised they say the graphics are only at 50% from that demo though. The environments already look amazing.

Khrno

jiggle said:
-Necklaces, belts, and rings, unlike XI, will be reflected graphically when equipped

What about capes and mantles? Come on, SE, if NCsoft can do it, you can as well.

We need a high range of back pieces going from very rustic mantles to stylish capes!

Kagari said:

I'm surprised they say the graphics are only at 50% from that demo though. The environments already look amazing.

Lighting, particle effects, shadows, characters and monsters animations, frame rate, models, textures, etc, many of these must be still being worked on.

Besides in the GC demo, although the graphics looked good, you could see how raw they were

What does he mean by 'basic play'? Does he simply mean the grahpic settings will default to window mode checked?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Khrno said:
What about capes and mantles? Come on, SE, if NCsoft can do it, you can as well.

We need a high range of back pieces going from very rustic mantles to stylish capes!

Lighting, particle effects, shadows, characters and monsters animations, frame rate, models, textures, etc, many of these must be still being worked on.

Besides in the GC demo, although the graphics looked good, you could see how raw they were

Well, yes, they do need to work on the animations.

Teknoman

jiggle said:
rykomatsu posted these on ps3forums from the new famitsu

FFXIV
-Necklaces, belts, and rings, unlike XI, will be reflected graphically when equipped-It seems as though westerners translated my comments as "everything would be seamless" but in actuality not everything from towns and the worlds will be seamless
-Seamless movement in an area equivalent to the size of a region in XI will be possible.
-Battles with enemies will take into account front/back/left/right positioning. Haven't thought about elevation effects-Characters will not age, however, you will be able to change your hairstyle
-Deterioration of weapons may be reflected graphically as well
-Translated in the west as fully voiced, but not all NPCs will have voice
-Etherlite (sp?) is not just a warp device, but can also be a place for people to gather
-Character movement utilizes motion capture. Was not used at all in XI
-Character's visual expressions will also change during the game
-Miquottes only have ears above (positioning?). Some Miquotte will have glasses like Humans (forget what they're actually called) but please don't ask why they can wear glasses (probably due to ear stem positioning vs. ear position)

Tanaka: Even with this, graphics are at around 50%. Please look forward to the graphical aspect

YES.

Ainaurdur

Khrno said:

Didn't they recently add a Body piece to FFXI that had a cape?
Not to mention Cornelia's... of course that doesn't count.

But yes, it would be very nice to see more variety like that in the equipment designs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Really, I like the hume animations (reminds me a lot of FFXII) but the Taru ones are... um, how do you say it?

DrDogg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373772

Old news?

According to the TGS thread, FFXIV and FFXI (the new collection with the mini-expansions), will be at TGS, but not playable. I think this guarantees a nice new trailer for both games and hopefully an eventful Q&A session. Obviously with much more of a focus on FFXIV.

I think a date for the beta is possible, but not likely.

Khrno

DrDogg said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373772

Old news?

According to the TGS thread, FFXIV and FFXI (the new collection with the mini-expansions), will be at TGS, but not playable. I think this guarantees a nice new trailer for both games and hopefully an eventful Q&A session. Obviously with much more of a focus on FFXIV.

I think a date for the beta is possible, but not likely.

I don't think that there's going to be much focus about XIV, besides a new Trailer and probably a date for a XIV only event, I don't think we'll get anything else since this TGS is all about XIII.

But I think there will be a XIV event where some people and the media will be able to test the game before announcing beta details.

DrDogg

I just meant more focus on FF14 than FF11. I know FF13 is the big draw for SE this year.

But unless the "private FF14 event" is early next year, I see no reason why SE wouldn't have it during TGS. A lot of international press will already be in Japan for the event and lots of other companies do private events after hours.

Teknoman

Sorta new interview:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=446&feature=3509&bhcp=1

Questing is going to be similar to most games. In the pictures I provided, you see those three crystals. That is actually where this character got quests. It's not going to be like XI where you randomly talk to people and hope they have quests for you. You are actually going to be able to get quests in the game that will help you improve your skills without spending hours trying to find them. The game will also be solo based or group based. Robert told me that this time around there is a bigger focus on solo play, but you will run into boss battles that require multiple people.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Teknoman said:
Sorta new interview:

Questing is going to be similar to most games. In the pictures I provided, you see those three crystals. That is actually where this character got quests. It's not going to be like XI where you randomly talk to people and hope they have quests for you. You are actually going to be able to get quests in the game that will help you improve your skills without spending hours trying to find them. The game will also be solo based or group based. Robert told me that this time around there is a bigger focus on solo play, but you will run into boss battles that require multiple people.

Yes! One of the things that irritates me about XI.

Teknoman said:
Sorta new interview:

They seem to really be pushing the whole "Play with a party or play solo!!" idea. Maybe because it was nearly impossible to solo for most people in XI?

Jinko

Heh the hardcore won't like this, although I'm guessing/hoping some quests will direct you to NPC's for further instructions.

For example, a warrior can wear cloth and a mage can wear armor. The downfall though is that your stats aren't going to compliment what you are wearing

This makes me happy :), battle mage FTW

Zalasta

That's really too bad. Looking back I found myself appreciate the party-centric playstyle of XI more and more. I know it was grindy and hard and inflexible, but after going through so many similar quest-based, solo-friendly iterations of WoW's implementation. I just prefer to level as a group where my role matters, rather than just in certain raids or instances. It is also much less frustrating to have some confidence that people will know how to play their jobs after 75 levels of doing it, which is something you cannot expect in most other MMO. Anyway, I'm still being optimistic though!

Kyoufu

Zalasta said:
That's really too bad. Looking back I found myself appreciate the party-centric playstyle of XI more and more. I know it was grindy and hard and inflexible, but after going through so many similar quest-based, solo-friendly iterations of WoW's implementation. I just prefer to level as a group where my role matters, rather than just in certain raids or instances. It is also much less frustrating to have some confidence that people will know how to play their jobs after 75 levels of doing it, which is something you cannot expect in most other MMO. Anyway, I'm still being optimistic though!

I played with bad players all the way from 10-75. :/

All they need to do here is give incentives to level as a group (basically, better exp rewards) whilst keeping solo content relevant and worthwhile for those who can't find a group in their level range or those that just don't have the time to sit in town waiting for a possible group to invite them.

Khrno

Teknoman said:
You are actually going to be able to get quests in the game that will help you improve your skills without spending hours trying to find them. [/B]

So 5 minutes running around a city to get quests from different NPCs means now "hours trying to find them"?

Anyway, waiting for a new trailer from the TGS.

Top Bottom